[Lore] Plant-Life

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Lore] Plant-Life

Postby Daeronin on June 6th, 2010, 10:05 pm

PART ONE: A-C

Abelumis-Fern with patterns that glow whenever a shadow falls over them, or during the night. Each frond has a completely unique pattern, said to be hand-crafted by the Gods themselves. When ground up, the paste can be put into lanterns to illuminate the dark.

Apathugas-A tree that only grows near clean, fresh water. You can tell if there is something wrong with a stream if the Apathugas trees nearby look sickly, or darker than their usual grey color.

Aucker-A large flower with petals as dark as the night. Staring into its depths can trick your eyes into dilating, so some soldiers carry some to look at before going inside dark buildings.

Buddenilly-A lily-like plant that floats out over the water, with its stem leading back to land where it roots. The roots are incredibly strong, and are often times woven into ropes for use on board ships, as water will not wear them down.

Barache-An herb with edible leaves. Although the taste is quite sour, it is well-known as a cure for stomach aches. When ground up, it becomes a powder rather than a paste, due to the fact that it requires little moisture to survive. It thrives in hot dry areas where other plants cannot.

Brettwort-A small bush that is grown and harvested. Although the seeds are quite hard, the plant itself can be made into a non-perishable bread-like substance. Often used in the military for its wide availability and the quick boost of energy.

Callinarthus Erastianus-Called Cara for short, it used to be a medical herb used as a pain-reliever. It is highly addictive and was outlawed in most cities when it was discovered that it rotted away your muscles. Many people still use it for the unnatural high feeling you get.

Cryptwort-This rather large shrub is ugly, black, and deadly poisonous. What lies beneath it is spectacular, however. When the roots are consumed, they allow you to look dead by slowing down your heart and paling your features. Cryptwort is famous among assassins and anyone who wants to disappear for a while.

Credictus Fir-A coniferous tree that grows in the far north. It's needles are larger than most, and the points can be sharp as daggers.The points are often used in assassination because they dissolve quickly in any liquid--such as blood--and dispense a poison when they do so.

Cascious-An unremarkable little green kelp that grows beneath still water. It provides food for many fish, and is considered a delicacy in some places. Can be dried and chopped up to make a seasoning.

Cillus-A sparse white moss that grows only where it is moist and cold. It is often times mistake for snow, but if you can find some it makes very soft bedding up in the northern wilds.

Cliffcall-A tree that grows horizontally out of cliff faces. The roots are strong enough to grip through rock, and some spills out around the tree to catch water droplets on the wind. Cliffcall provides nesting space for birds that is safe from most predators.
Daeronin
The Gadgeteer Revolutionary

Words: 2425
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2010, 9:17 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

[Lore] Plant-Life

Postby Cayenne on June 7th, 2010, 1:47 am

Dae, just a head's up. I do like this idea, and I think it bears some merit.

However, as a lore, which is what I've assumed you meant this to be, this is way, way, way too broad.

When I'm reviewing CSes, I generally like to have at least some semblance of specification. My three major breakdowns are as follows:

1. Poisonous plants of (region).
2. Edible plants of (region).
3. Medicinal plants of (region).

So if your goal is to work on a plant guide, that's great - others have started this, though I don't know how active or whether or not they are continuing this, and regional DSes may and may not pick and choose what sort of foliage they want in their areas. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

[Lore] Plant-Life

Postby Daeronin on June 7th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Alright. I'll take my real life notebook and start breaking those down before I start editing.
Daeronin
The Gadgeteer Revolutionary

Words: 2425
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2010, 9:17 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet