Flashback Unblemished hands.

Tanroa's forgotten & the little colt. (Cypress)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cadicus on January 28th, 2013, 1:20 am

18th Spring, 502AV

Twelve years in the twisting, changing tent warren of Endrykas, and still the strange feeling of deja vu had not dissipated for the Ethaefal. By night, he could almost pretend he had lived in the moving city his whole life; that he had earned his windmarks long ago, that he had a pavilion, two wives, and little Drykas monsters running around his feet, getting underway, begging for their father to take them for a ride in the Sea. But by day, the illusion shattered, and Cadicus could not help but feel endlessly conflicted: should he be grateful to Syna for this form, for his long blonde hair and his spring green horns, for his shimmering skin and his flesh marked as hers? Or did he love his Drykas form more, where he could pretend he had not fallen from the Ukalas, a state of forgotten bliss that his daylight form dreamed of endlessly, never quite remembering the past?

Cadicus watched the grass be flattened by his soft foot fall as he walked, with an ethereal grace, catching the awe-struck gazes of Drykas children while he passed tent after tent within the Emerald Clan's corner of Endrykas. Here, there lay beautifully carved bows against the sides of pavilions, hunting dogs scampering through the grass, Cyphrus Striders standing tall and majestic. The Emerald Clan both shook and encouraged Cadicus: for a clan so skilled in bringing the end of life in the Sea for Drykas resources, they still treasured their own animals and steeds above all else. The Emerald Clan was lost without their animal friends. Their hunting would never have been as effective.

There lay the largest Pavilion of all within the Emerald Clan, one Cadicus had ventured within many times, one that he could not help but love. Smiling beneath Syna, the Ethaefal veered off course, ducking through the training Drykas around the Pavilion, their arrows striking true, their steel ringing in the Spring air: rejoicing at the end of Winter.

"Ho, Andrel!" Cadicus called out, jogging easily to the Drykas trainer. Andrel was crouched on the ground, bending over a panting pup. This pup was young, barely approaching adulthood. His hind left leg was bent backwards at an odd angle, and a gash was bleeding from his stomach. "What's the matter with this little one, then?" Gently, Cadicus bent beside Andrel, and reached out a hand to stroke the pained pup's head. A pathetic whine filled the air.

"The pup ran in front of a Drykas holding a bow for the first time. Loosed an arrow and grazed this little one. The boy didn't even hit the arrow." Shaking his head, Andrel reached out and grabbed his healer's kit, opening the pack and pulling out bandages and tinctures that would all relieve the pain the canine was feeling. "Falling back, the clumsy oaf stood on his leg, too. Breaking it clean. Ridiculous boy."

"Can I help?" Cadicus asked. It was rare for him to ask permission, usually taking what he wanted, with a pithy comment thrown back to make the offended laugh. Andrel looked sideways at the Ethaefal, before nodding, passing him the kit. "Thank you. I'm loath to leave a pup so young in pain. I've nowhere else to be."
In a moment we’ll pass across the world’s threshold
into a region—name it as you please:
wilderness, death, disavowal of language,
or maybe simpler: the silence of love…

Vladimir Nabokov
Cadicus
destined to fall.

Words: 42908
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2013, 10:41 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cypress on January 29th, 2013, 4:46 am

The arrow released with a subtle hiss as the fletchings caught the air and Cypress peered through one open eye.

"Cypress, open your eye." Without moving a muscle, the blue eyed Drykas furrowed her brow and flicked a quick glance at her instructor. "Both. Eyes. Open. " It was not the first time she'd been given this direction, but to her credit, at least she had begun to keep one open. While offering a curt nod, she reached over her shoulder to grasp another practice arrow.

"Yes sir."

New arrow nocked and ready to fly, Cypress noticed a hum among the trainees; not loud, and probably unnoticed by most, she had become attuned to the sound of it. The quiet disruption signaled the presence of a curiosity, a being so different from the typical Drykas, that his mere attendance made the natural mood break for a split second before resetting, like a skip in time. Cypress knew that break, enjoyed it, and waited for it.

Her concentration shattered, she blew out a breath that anchored her, making her body still, then released the arrow, both eyes wide, and succeeded in making her best shot of the day.

"Good girl!" A clap on her back, paired with a bright smile on the older man's face was enough to brighten the face of the girl. "There you see, just a little more concentration makes all the difference."

If he only knew. Cy garnered a sheepish grin, then trotted off to retrieve her arrows. She waved before running off to follow the disruption, a whole kaleidoscope of butterflies in her stomach. With a fluid movement, she hooked her bow across her back as she ran, that at least, was a motion she had mastered, if not the actual shooting. As though she stalked her next meal, the tall, awkward girl darted between tents, never letting the Ethaefal out of her sight, once she had him in her sight. His face had become very familiar to Cypress; a constant source of intrigue to a girl who was ruled by her curious nature. Perhaps this was the day she would take the last leap and introduce herself.

The trail led to the animals. He likes the animals. She narrated her adventures internally, unspoken comments proving a history of theoretical knowledge, in spite of the lack of any practical experience with the source of her fascination. He stopped, and she stopped. Movements connected as though by an invisible tether. She ducked behind the shelter of a tent to watch. Oh...a puppy. From her vantage she observed, lifting on tip toes to try and see what the Ethaefal did, captivated by all of his graceful movements. She edged a little closer, safe in the knowledge that he was distracted by the injured pup.

Can I help?

A sparkle flashed in Cypress' eyes as she watched Cad tend to the puppy. Of course he would offer to help, it's what he does. In her limited experience, she imagined she knew him already, her overactive imagination telling tales to her adolescent mind.

To her, they were already friends.

Lost in distraction, she moved closer and closer, until she was nearly on top of the crouched Ethaefal, looking over his shoulder without hesitation at their differences. Caught up, she bent closer, so close that her long knotted braid tumbled across the shoulder of the familiar stranger. It was only then that she realized what she had done and she froze, sucking in a sharp breath, probably hoping that in her perfect stillness, she could disappear.
The truth is never pure, and rarely simple
Cypress
Player

Words: 54936
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 4:46 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cadicus on January 29th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Cadicus reached into the healer's kit, searching for what he knew would be in there: three long, sturdy strips of wood, not thin enough to snap, not yet thick enough to be planks. "Hold on there, boy," Cadicus whispered beneath his breath in a moment of gentility, something that he tried not to show all too often. But for an animal so afraid and so hurt, Cadicus would never withhold kindness. It was they and children that were the pure ones on this world. "Andrel, would you get the bandage ready?" He didn't look up, gently and with hesitation raising the pup's broken leg (the sound of a pained whine filling the air), sliding one of the planks beneath the snapped limb.

"You have a friend," Cadicus heard Andrel say. Confused, he looked up, and saw where Andrel's gaze was fixed. Wide-eyes peeked out from behind the shelter of a tent flap. A long dark braid framed a child's face. Cadicus grinned, quickly looking back down at his work, positioning the other two splints carefully on the left and right sides of the broken leg, so that the broken limb was supported and yet not suffocated.

"She follows me whenever I come here," he said, keeping his voice down so that the girl would not hear. "I don't think she's seen a Fallen before. She hasn't come up to me yet, and I don't want to scare her away by saying hello before she's ready." Cadicus smiled at the thought of the curious Drykas girl. She seemed so shy, and yet so brave. He'd seen her shooting at targets and running round the Emerald Clan pavilions, while he spent time attending to the animals as the Ankhals needed. Already, without a word from her, he was as endeared to her as this scared little pup.

He reached out for the bandage, pulling the clean white fabric out, and positioning the strip at the very bottom of the pup's leg, in order to secure the splints in place, so that the pup's leg might heal as fast as nature would allow. Slowly, not exerting too much pressure, Cadicus wrapped the bandage round and round the pup's leg, creating criss-crosses so that every inch would be supported. Cadicus tried hard not to make any one area too thick or too thin. The whole leg had to be supported evenly. He kept his eyes trained on the panting puppy, but in the back of his mind, watching him, was the little Drykas girl who made him smile.

Something brushed against his shoulder. Stilling his hand, the Ethaefal looked up, away from the ground and into the world again. There, frozen, looking like she would like nothing more than to have Semele swallow her up, was the Drykas girl who he had seen watching him so often these past weeks. His grin was immediate, a brilliant display of white white teeth in a face that gleamed copper. His horns were a brilliant grass green, his hair bleached as white as bones. He cut a strange image. He hoped his grin was welcoming.

"Hello there," he said gently, trying not to frighten her anymore. She looked terrified that he would berate her. "Would you like to come sit with the pup, while we treat his wounds?" Perhaps his offer would be more acceptable to her when she realised that he did not want to berate her in the least. "Puppies always need friends, especially when they're sick and scared." He could feel Andrel smirking at him in surprise, but Cadicus ignored the Drykas. Children deserved all the kindness that animals did, and in this case, he had plenty to give.

Vladimir Nabokov
Cadicus
destined to fall.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cypress on January 31st, 2013, 5:33 pm

Hello there.

Well.
There it was.
Her opportunity.

The entrancing stranger had opened the door for Cypress, and all she had to do was walk through. She could help, puppies do get scared. Without speaking, she responded to the invitation with a slow nod and dropped to her knees at the head of the injured pup. With wide blue eyes held fast to the stranger's captivating face, she bent over the puppy, resting her mouth next to the soft hair of the dogs ear. Don't be stupid Cypress. Show him you know things. Only then did she speak, her tone muted and calming even though her eyes still betrayed the starstruck paralysis inspired by the Fallen.

"They like to be talked to." The young girl's hand stroked the muzzle of the puppy, sweetly comforting it as though it were her own. "Don't you?" She flicked a glance to Andrel, a little twist in her stomach the result. He would know her as the outspoken child who more often then not, was cast in the role of unraveler. Forever trying to find the truth of any situation, whether it was hers to discover or not. Ducking her head just a bit, she returned her eyes to the copper tones that seemed to capture the light from the air and spread it across the stranger's skin, providing her very own sun, to gaze upon.

"I don't have my own yet." She stated, still keeping her conversation focused on the pup. "One day soon...but I have Dolanne." In a child's assumption, she imagined the stranger to have knowledge of her life...who didn't. But of course, that was not the case, and in the beat of a heart she realized that.

Tell him it's your horse. Stupid.

"My horse. Dolanne." A curt nod completed her delivery. "I'm Cypress. Will this puppy be okay?" All the while she rambled, her comfort to the puppy did not waver. Still stroking the fine fur of its head, and speaking her words like healing breaths into the dog's ear, even though the words were promised to another. She tossed her braid over her shoulder with a quick flip, getting it out of her way as she rested her cheek on the puppy to share her warmth. A low whine, emerged from the trembling pup, followed by a guttural moan when their faces touched. "He must feel real bad. Poor thing." In that moment, every bit of her focus shifted to the pup, and her expressive blue eyes seemed to turn liquid. "You'll be all right..." The sweet toned words were whispered, meant only for the ailing soul in her arms. The ease of offering love as only a child can was apparent as Cy's compassion became palpable, engulfing the whole of the little dog's pain. "I will come here and take care of you, I promise."

As if caught, Cy suddenly snapped back into her surroundings, back into an environment that had faded from the moment. She grunted an uncomfortable "oh" and shifted her eyes back to the stranger. Once again staring into her own private sun.

Cypress
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cadicus on February 2nd, 2013, 1:07 am

Cadicus could not help but allow a soft grin to grace his heavenly features, his teeth gleaming white in the sun against his bronzen skin. He could feel Andrel's gaze upon him, and knew that if he turned, the Drykas would likely have his eyebrows cocked and a knowing smirk upon his face. But the girl, perhaps around her pre-teen years, was someone small and young, whose wide eyes showed a whole future ahead, a future that could easily be tarnished and broken by unkind words and a lack of understanding.

He nodded encouragingly at the girl, before slowly beginning to work on the pup's leg again, wrapping the bandage firmly and yet gently around the mangled leg. It was smooth work, and the girl next to the pup, so close and so gentle, seemed to assure him a little. He stopped wriggling in pain as much. He watched with contentment as the girl stroked the pup's muzzle and spoke in soothing tones.

"They definitely do like to be talked to. Look, he's calmer already." Cadicus split the end of the bandage in two, like a snakes tongue. "Cypress is a very pretty name. I'm Cadicus. It's an honour to meet you, Cypress." Wrapping one half around the broken leg, Cadicus tied the bandage together, keeping the knot tight enough to stay, yet not quite tight enough to cut off circulation. "Dolanne is your Strider, then? What's she like? I have a Strider, too. His name is Maritus, and he's very spirited." Tugging a few times on the end of the bandage to make sure it wouldn't snag or pull, Cadicus nodded, before looking up at Andrel to see his approval.

"Well, looks like you two animal whisperers have got this under control," the Drykas man said, standing up, brushing his pants clean of the dirt and grass on which they rested. "I'll leave you to it. Cadicus, keep the medical kit. I know you need it." Cadicus opened his mouth, about to protest, before he realised that the act of kindness was freely given and without expectation of repayment. Closing his mouth, Cadicus nodded in gratitude. "Thank you, Andrel. I'll see you soon, no doubt." The Drykas inclined his head, before waving to the child and setting off. Without looking back, he called over his shoulder. "Oh, the pup's name is Malicai, so you know. Take him inside when he's all patched up."

Watching Andrel disappear inside the pavilion, Cadicus turned to the younger girl and smiled reassuringly. "Looks like it's just you and me, then," he said, softly. "Malicai here will be alright, don't you fret. A few tendays rest and he'll be as good as new." Cadicus watched as Cypress lovingly cradled the little pup, pitiful whines filling the air between them. If only one could keep the tenderness of heart that everyone has when they start out in this world, he thought, watching her cheek rub softly against the pup's fur. "He's lucky to have someone like you around, Cypress." And he truly was. The love of a child was more pure than anything.

Cadicus said nothing at her embarrassment, trying not to make the little colt any more jitterish than she already was. "Look, now we'll clean up this cut on his stomach." Cadicus realised, swearing to himself, that he should have done that first. The blood was still oozing and any manner of infection could have set in. "Petch. Petch petch shyke." Looking up in horror at the corruptable little girl, he stalled. "Uh... don't repeat that to your family, please. That's not a good thing to say." Shaking his head, he tried to center himself, breathing deeply for a few moments. One, two, three, four, five. Hold. Out, two three four five. "Cypress, could you please pass me the kit? Let's see what we have in here, then. Something needs to help this little guy." Malicai whined, as if in agreement.

OOCA note to mods: I took the liberty of Andrel gifting Cadicus the healer's kit, as that is Cadicus' heirloom that he started play with. Let me know if this is a problem.

Vladimir Nabokov
Cadicus
destined to fall.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cypress on March 21st, 2013, 2:53 am

Cadicus. She mouthed the word to herself a few times as she watched the exotic stranger tend to the puppy, Malicai. She continued to cradle his head, her mouth poised next to the pup's ear, whispering calming words without end.

Somewhere in her subconscious she had noted Andrel's departure, but when Cadicus brought to light that they were alone, she had to look around to confirm it, bringing a rosy flush to her cheeks. She never in her wildest dreams thought that they would ever be alone. She'd heard some of the older girls going on about him, how different he was, 'beautiful' they'd said. As she watched him care for the pup so gently, she had to agree with them.

Kind words spoken by the Ethaefal drifted across her like the warmest breeze, painting layer upon layer of blush on her cheeks with each lovely word spoken. She remained quite silent, so unlike the headstrong young Drykas, awed into a lull by the events at hand. When he began talking of cleaning the pup's wound she craned to look at the cut, peering over the prone body she cradled. Just as her attention settled, Cad let out a string of profanities that widened her eyes and caught a surprised breath in her throat. He too look wide-eyed and at a momentary loss, but was soon to recover and offer what she saw as a small but shared alliance. A confederacy of those who'd witnessed his brief lack of control. A club of two which she was a member. A brilliant smile shone on her face as she drew a finger to her lips, placing it there as a barrier for any tales she might tell, and she watched him with the pale blue eyes so wide and trusting they could make a person lost in them.

"I would never."

When the request for her assistance arrived she withdrew her arm from around Malicai and lowered his head to the ground. Using both hands she picked up the kit, handing it to Cad with great care. She moved close, sitting right next to him, her chin nearly resting on his shoulder.

Amazing how a little glimpse of impropriety can begin a bond. From that moment on, Cypress felt privy to a least a little of Cad's inner self, before then she'd always seen him as a creature one step off from the world of the Drykas clans, a beautiful stranger that was unreachable by anyone, most especially her. But in his moment of weakness, she'd been gifted a glimpse past the perfection, an invitation to be his confidante among a sea of strangers.

The thin veil of observer and observed had dissolved, and Cy shrugged off any boundaries she might have possessed. With a perfect vantage point, she watched as he worked his magic on Malicai, her fingers curled over his shoulder like the talons of a bird, her breath quiet and shallow so as not to disturb any part of Cad's concentration. She became a captive to his art, the pearl of humanity he'd exposed her to in the form of a few curse words, having only succeeded in making him an unintentional svengali. The voice of the little colt was a whisper now, spoken only for the ears of her new partner in crime.

"Do you think we can keep him?"

Cypress
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Unblemished hands.

Postby Cadicus on April 8th, 2013, 7:39 am

Her piercing blue eyes opened wide, Cadicus smiled easily when little Cypress brought one child's finger to her lips, as if locking words and secrets deep inside of her. The swears had slipped from his lips like rain, but it was always nice to know the little colt would keep his confidence, and that she would not be so corrupted by one moment's weakness.

"Thank you, little Cypress. It's always good to have a confidante like you around." He could not help but continue complimenting her. She was so small, so timid, and so obvious mortally curious about Cadicus with his shimmering skin and his sweeping horns. He could not help but indulge the girl her curiosity, and more than that, make her smile and bristle with pleasure at the same time. What a story she would have for her family that night.

The pup whined when Cypress withdrew her warm hand from around his small neck, placing his muzzle gently on the ground. He waited patiently, looking intently at the wound on the pup's stomach. Luckily it was not pierced - the arrow had not done that much damage - and the leg was the main injury, but that did not mean that there was nothing to be done. It was only a graze, but just deep enough to bring forth a constant oozing of blood. The wound was not wide and open and would not require stitches - perhaps just something to help the healing, and a bandage to prevent infection. The little Malicai was only young, after all, and Cadicus owed it to him to ensure his life would stretch out in front of him.

Cypress scooted over to Cadicus, and he could feel her warm breath against his bicep, she was so close. Smiling endearingly down at the girl, he took the kit from her with a nod of thanks. "Let us see what is in here then, shall we?" Without waiting for an answer, Cadicus opened the kit and examined the various poultices and tinctures within. Bandages and splints he had seen, but the poultices and herbal ointments were new to him... oils, teas, salves, Cadicus sorted through them quickly. He may not have had many of his own supplies, but he knew what he was looking for, and would recognise it when he found it.

"A-ha! Here!" Triumphantly, Cadicus pulled a small jar from the kit, holding it so that Cypress could see the thin poultice that lay inside. "Krolar poultice! We just need to apply this to his wound, and his pain will ease and the graze will heal up quicker. Easy as sunlight, aye?" Smiling reassuringly at the girl, he leant over Malicai. The pup was still too scared and sore to bother wriggling away, but Cadicus hummed a soothing, low crooning tune beneath his breath none the less.

With gentle fingers, Cadicus scooped a small amount of the poultice from the jar and began to rub it into the graze, after using a clean bandage to wipe away the excess blood. The pup whined and looked distress, but Cadicus did not stop - he couldn't. He had to rub the poultice evenly into the wound, or it would not have enough of an effect. He only needed a very small amount: the poultice was potent, and would lessen Malicai's pain significantly. Smiling, Cadicus lifted her fingers and wiped them on the grass, clean of the poultice, before opening his waterskin and washing them clean.

Taking a bandage from the kit, Cadicus held one end of the white gauze over the pup's wound, and quickly wrapped it around Malicai's stomach, thrice. A clip was inside the kit which he used to secure the bandage in place. Sitting back on his haunches, Cadicus smiled, wondering if he had forgotten anything. He shook his head, smiling contentedly. "There. Done."

He had almost forgotten about his little shadow sitting beside him, watching him work so silently. The pressure of her small, clinging hands was almost soothing, and he did not bother to insist on personal space. Andrel would tease him to Riverfall and back later, but it was worth it. Cypress was genuine. She was sweet. There was something inside of her that made him loathe to hurt her.

"Keep him?" Cadicus looked at the girl in surprise, her voice so quiet. It made sense, though. All little girls wanted puppies, and she had had a way with him, certainly. "I'm sure you could keep him. Why don't we talk to the people here when we take him back inside the Pavilion, hey?" It was purely chance that he missed her use of the word 'we'.

Vladimir Nabokov
Cadicus
destined to fall.

Character sheet
Scrapbook