Solo Shipwrecked

Everett awakens on a lonely shore, dead, but not realizing it, and tries to find a new body.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Shipwrecked

Postby Everett on January 31st, 2013, 4:56 pm

-
Shipwrecked

~~~

The journey from Sahova to Zeltiva, it was a long one, even by sea, and the sea was ever treacherous. Perhaps the captain forgot to ask Laviku for his blessing. Perhaps Laviku had gotten into a fight with Zulrav. Or perhaps it was just bad luck. Whatever caused the storm, it was beyond a mortal captain's place to comprehend. He saw the clouds when he left, but the guests aboard his ship offered too much to turn down. The captain sailed out of Port Silence, his greed filling the sails as much as the wind. They nearly made it half way to their destination before the storm hit, and it was with a fury that it did. The ship's mast was torn from the deck as a massive wave crashed over the port side of the ship, washing many into the sea with it. The ship was broken to bits under Laviku's mighty wrath, and none survived.

~~~

Timestamp: Winter 21, 512 AV

Fresh eyes opened, or perhaps better to describe it, he suddenly became aware of his surroundings. Everett no longer had eyes to see out of, at least not in the normal sense, and in truth they were only an echo of what he once had. The shore was littered with debris from a shipwreck he could not remember. His mind was spinning in confusion. His body was... light.

The ground was wet, not just from the gentle waves rolling in. Branches were down along the tree line in the distance. A storm had recently hit the shore, and it's toll on the land was obvious. Everett noticed not one of these details, his eyes were affixed on something else entirely. When he rose from the ground, the first thing he noticed was the body lying beneath him. His body! Or rather, the body he had most recently taken for himself. The ghost's eyes widened in surprise, and his mind began to spin even faster.

Oh no! Oh no, no, no, this is not good. This is not good at all, he thought frantically to himself. Look at the state of my body!

The body was beaten and bruised, torn and battered. It was heavy and waterlogged, and there was a wooden shard sticking out of its right side. It was gruesome to look upon.

I can't be seen walking around in that, he thought to himself. It's barely in any condition to move at all. No, no, no. I need... I need.. I need to find a new body.

The ghost turned and looked around, spotting only sand, trees, and debris. There were no bodies to be found, at least not in the immediate vicinity. And he was clearly not in Sahova, so he couldn't simply request a new one. What would they say to him? He had only just moved into his new body a season ago, and already he was requesting a new one? My, the golems would have a field day making fun of him after he was gone.. that was assuming that golems made fun of anything, or even understood the word fun. But if they did, and if they did make fun of things, then clearly this would be something they would make fun of. But he wasn't in Sahova, obviously. He wasn't entirely sure where he was, actually, but it certainly wasn't Sahova. But his body was in a terrible state, and he needed to get a new one. He would have to find something, or somebody, and then.. perhaps he could summon up something to take care of them for him, without damaging the body, and then he could move in.

"Yes, that will do perfectly.. now," he muttered to himself out loud, "If I were a body, where would I be?"

The ghost, who did not seem to realize he was a ghost, despite the fact that he was somehow looking down at his dead body lying on the ground, turned away from his corpse and began to look around. Truly, there was no good option. Sahova was nowhere in sight, and all he could see was water, beach, and trees. He would just have to start walking.

"I'll go this way."
Everett
Player

Words: 12570
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shipwrecked

Postby Everett on January 31st, 2013, 8:41 pm

It was all rather eerie. Nothing seemed to notice him, and those things that did shied away from him. Normally Everett did not command that much respect from the animal kingdom, or at least not that he could recall. Truthfully, it had been decades since he could last remember even taking a stroll along the beach. Although, when he thought of it, it was hard to remember much of anything at all.

Everett stopped in his tracks, paying little heed to the fact that he indeed did not leave any tracks at all. He was not a tracker, why would he notice tracks that he hadn't even left? What he did realize was that his body shouldn't have been moving so easily, considering the banged up condition it was in. From the looks of it, he shouldn't have been able to move at all, and yet there he was, strolling through the forest without a care in the world. ..but he was doing exactly that, so obviously there was nothing wrong.

"But why do I get the feeling I'm missing something," he muttered to himself. After a moment of thought he shrugged and continued on. "No matter, I'll just figure it out when I get a new body. I didn't really care that much for this one anyhow."

Ever continued on, and he continued that way for bells and bells. Eventually, after many bells, the sun began to set, and the ghost who assumed he was still a Nuit paused to take everything in. For decades he had lived within the walls of Sahova, and he literally could not remember the last time he had witnessed a sunset. No wait, he could.. though he was uncertain whether or not it was the last time, or just a random time that he randomly remembered. What he did know was that it was a memory from very long ago, from his mortal life. He was with his wife, Julia. They were taking a walk on the docks in Zeltiva. He could remember how it felt to hold her hand, how it was warm and slightly moist. He recalled that in the light of the setting sun she looked especially beautiful. He could recall that he wanted to kiss her, and in fact he did. And then the memory went away, trailing off into nothingness. Everett blinked and shook his head. It was the first time he'd thought of his mortal life in a very long time, and he found it disconcerting to say the least. Tearing his eyes from the sunset, he shouldered on.
Everett
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shipwrecked

Postby Everett on January 31st, 2013, 8:59 pm

~~~

Everett traveled for days and days, caring little whether he walked by the light of the sun or the moon. As a Nuit he did not need to sleep, though his body might eventually give out. As a ghost, he had no body, and needed even less. There were some days, however, that were worse than others.

~~~

Timestamp: 27th of Winter, 512 AV

Everett had not taken one step since the sun had risen. He hovered, completely motionless, for bells. The sun was high in the sky, just past noon, yet still he did not move. His mind was spinning, he could not control his thoughts. Everett could remember nothing, and everything. He remembered a terrible storm, the boat being torn to pieces. He remembered people dying, being washed into the ocean. Everett remembered his wife, kissing her. He remembered her die. Everett remembered the Nuit who created him. He remembered his teacher in Zeltiva, teaching him how to draw glyphs. He remembered working in Sahova under his master. And all of it spun around in his head, in no particular order, not making any sense at all.

Everett had not taken one step since the sunrise. Bells past, and the sun began to set once more. Everett remained still, trapped in a sea of confusion. He wanted to escape. That was all he knew, that he wanted to escape, but he could not. But.. the Nuit, she offered him that escape. Escape from life, and an escape from death. No.. wait. That wasn't what he wanted to escape from. He had already escaped that. Everett wanted to escape from something else.

THE MEMORIES!

He needed to get away from them. He needed to keep moving, and to find himself a new body. Yes, that was what he needed to do. But his mind was too confused, how could he escape?

Everett vanished.

He reappeared a few feet away, blinking instantly from one location to the next. And then he continued on his way. He needed a new body, and he wasn't going to let some random memories distract him. He was a Nuit, not a human, and would not be distracted by petty things like that. And so, for several more days, Everett walked.
Everett
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shipwrecked

Postby Everett on January 31st, 2013, 9:31 pm

Timestamp: 35th of Winter, 512 AV

He walked and he walked, his footsteps making not a sound, his body never tiring. There were days when his mind spun, and he could do little more than run around in circles. There were days when he was very focused, and he even seemed to understand what had happened to him. Those days were the worst, in his opinion, because all the other days he was blissfully ignorant of the truth. This particular day he was neither focused, nor overly confused, but he would make a discovery that would both baffle.. well, mostly it would just baffle him.

It began with a flower. Not just any flower, though there was nothing particularly unique about it either, but it was a certain type and color. Small, and white, and it grew along the coast. Simple, and common, yet very special because it brought back a memory. Ever recalled his wife, Julia, once more. She was young, at the time, and so was he. He was walking along the pier when he spotted her. He knew her from around town, though he rarely worked up the courage to speak to her. She was Julia, and she was the most beautiful woman in Zeltiva if he had anything to say about it.

Everett decided that he was going to talk to her, just this once. If things went terribly awry, then she would never see him again. But this time, that day, he was going to talk to her. He followed her for only a moment before finally mustering up the last of his courage. As a last minute thought he picked a flower from a pot in an open window, a small white, the name of which he had no idea. He quickly caught up to Julia and tapped her on the shoulder.

And that was all he remembered. But the flower, it was right there in front of him. The same kind of flower. Julia's flower. Everett bent down to pick it up.. and his hand passed right through the flower and into the ground. He felt nothing.

"What the petch!"

He quickly straightened up, glancing about to see if anybody had noticed his outburst of emotions. Nuit were not emotional. Nuit did not swear.. well, not always. But Nuit also did not reach right through flowers and into the ground beneath them, or at least not any Nuit that Everett knew.

"There is something strange happening here."

Everett tried to reach for the flower again, and again he was met with similar results. With a frown creasing his face, he sat down next to the flower, and tried a third time. He was met only with failure, and as the flower danced in the wind off the coast, it seemed to be mocking him.

"I will pick you up, flower. I am Everett Morrison. I am a powerful Nuit. I will pick you up."

He reached again, and the flower remained untouchable. Everett was beginning to grow agitated, but as soon as he realized it, he calmed himself. He was too old to grow agitated, not over a mere flower. But still, it troubled him that he could not grasp it. For several bells he tried to grasp the flower, but to no avail. A more experienced ghost would have understood that to pick something up, one needed soulmist, and the unique skill of projecting it. Everett did not know he was a ghost. Perhaps if he did, he might have attempted such a skill, but in truth, the thought never occurred to him. He would have continued trying to grab the flower all day, had he not spotted something else.

"A ship!"
Everett
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shipwrecked

Postby Everett on January 31st, 2013, 9:51 pm

~~~

The ship had come from Zeltiva, though Everett did not know that. What he did know was that ships usually came from some place, and though it was going in the direction opposite him, logic stood to reason that wherever the ship had come from must have been in the direction Everett was walking. That was all the ghost needed to get moving again. Forgetting all about the flower, Everett was back on his feet and continued on his way. He traveled a good many more days, but eventually, he spotted a familiar sight.

~~~

Timestamp: 50th of Winter, 512 AV

When he spotted the city his mind was immediately filled with memories from his mortal days. Living with his wife Julia, living alone, living with his parents. His time at the university. The Nuit. So many memories filled his mind, and he knew, he was home.

But.. no, Zeltiva was not home anymore. He left that place long ago. Julia was dead, she died long before his rebirth. His parents, they were dead too. Everyone was dead. Zeltiva was not his home.. but it did have people. And people had bodies, and Everett was in dire need of a new body. He could only imagine the toll the walk had taken on him, though he did not have a mirror to check.

It had been some time since Everett had seen his hometown, but he was not completely without contact. He knew that Zeltiva sometimes traded with the Nuit for bodies, and therefore it was likely that he could purchase a new body in the city, or at least acquire one without having to resort to grave-robbing. If not, he could always catch the next ship back to Sahova. With his plan in mind, Everett started walking once more, only this time he actually knew where he was going. Maybe if he had time, after getting his new body of course, he would visit the University. It would be nice to take a walk down memory lane while he was in town, and perhaps he would even see some of his old mentors. Well.. probably not, they were likely dead. But still, there was always the chance. And with that thought in mind, he entered the city.

~End
Everett
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shipwrecked

Postby Paragon on February 12th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Everett

Experience
Skill XP Earned
N/A N/A

Lores
Lore Earned
Witnessing Your Own Dead Body
Remembering Mortality: Julia & Zeltiva
Remembering Immortality: A Life in Sahova
The Inability to Grasp Objects

Legend Becomes Reality

What a fantastic opening for your character to come onto the scene. Is this the first Nuit, come Ghost on site? I love the fact he hasn't even realised his predicament yet. Beautiful descriptions - and leaves me totally excited to see what role Everett will play in future :) If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can work from there.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)