Dancing in the Sun (Dance training - Alice)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Kail D'Rea on June 7th, 2010, 5:52 am

Day 1 of Summer 510 AV

Kail walked the familiar path to the Suvai Pavilion. Like all young Kanti, she had spent many hours in the three tired pavilion learning the art of the delicate horn weapons. Kail enjoyed the dance-like movements of the fighting style and had always studied hard, when she studied. Her dedication to her writing skills did override her desire to train more often than it should and as she walked she resolved that she would spend more time practicing with the weapon.

That would have to wait though, because today she had a different goal in mind. Kail wanted to relearn the dance of the Sun Festival. She did have some dance skills and all Kanti learned the traditional dance, so a refresher course should be possible in a short amount of time. She normally preferred to watch at the festivals, just because she was more comfortable on the sidelines, but she felt that Taith would find it odd that she didn’t participate in her own islands customs and it had been years since she had danced in the Unity Circle with the others. She was sure to make mistakes. Kail hoped to dance well because Taith would be attending the festival and she wanted to show herself to best advantage at the event. She knew he would be watching her and she wouldn’t be comfortable without practice in advance.

Kail entered the pavilion and asked for Kiraha, the retiring instructor whose kind ways had always seemed welcoming to Kail. She hoped that the quiet dance instructor would have time to help her learn the steps again.
Kail D'Rea
Crafter of Words

Words: 76426
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2010, 6:00 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on June 13th, 2010, 11:08 am

Kail had come early, but even at such a time of day students could be heard and seen training inside the pavilion. Windows had been opened to let the fresh morning air in and noises of friendly conversations and the clinking and clanking of whale bone and metal hitting one another already reached her ears at the white balk. When entering the pavilion, she found that several students were warming up and sparring in three or four training circles. Apparently no master was yet present.

When asked, however, one of the students would point her suvai towards the other end of the room where large back doors led to a terrace enclosing the whole pavilion and granting a breathtaking view over Silver Lake. One of the doors had been opened and a person could be seen sitting at the edge of the terrace looking at the clear and calm water. Of course, Kariha was already present. She always was present if one looked for her, especially in the early morning or late night hours when almost nobody else attended training classes. She was known to favor solitude over company, yet nobody knew why she enjoyed teaching what she knew. And that she knew much was undoubtedly true.

Hearing the light steps, Kariha opened her eyes and looked up to the younger Konti. Silvery hair framed her face since she hadn’t yet collected it in her usual ponytail. Her lips curled into a slight smile and her dark blue orbs reflected mild surprise and welcome, but were devoid of recognition. “Good morning. Do you require something from me?” Clear and soft as silk, her voice danced over the water surface almost effortlessly. It was clear that she had been meditating and was in a very peaceful and calm state of mind.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kail D'Rea on June 13th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Kail smiled and decided that as Kariah had come right to the point, so would she. She was a little sorry to do it, because she wouldn't have minded spending a little time enjoying the early morning air from such a refreshing spot. The lake looked as Kail always pictured it; absolute serenity. She added this to her list of things to do: spend more time enjoying Silver Lake, possibly from this spot.

Still, these were fleeting thoughts as she quickly answered the master’s enquiry. "Yes, master. I had come hoping you would be able to help me improve my skills in dancing for the upcoming Sun Festival. I have spent too long not dancing and now that I wish to, I fear I will not be able to join the festivities without disrupting the dance. Can you help me?"

Kail was pleased that she didn't feel as foolish in asking for help as she thought she would. It's was a dance all Konti should know well and natural grace should make simple, and the master could consider this and chose not to waste her time, but Kail felt that this woman would give her confidence for the event. The calm expression and relaxed posture of this Konti made the welcome in her eyes real and Kail vaguely sensed a radiating intention to help people as much as she could. She was not embarrassed, but rather glad that she had come.
Kail D'Rea
Crafter of Words

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on June 22nd, 2010, 7:02 pm

“Do you think you’ve forgotten everything in a single year?” Kariha mused with a mild smile, more talking to herself than actually accusing Kail of laziness. The thought that others didn’t attend the festival as regularly as her didn’t appeal to the dance mistress either. Nevertheless she was always willing to share what she knew about the art of dancing. As a way of expressing oneself and honoring life and the divine, the Konti loved dancing at various occasions. Additionally, the rhythmic movement helped them to connect to themselves and live in harmony with their soul as well as the outside world.

At the key question she gave a smile, a mixture of encouragement and challenge. “If you wish to receive, you must first give. Nothing in this world is for free, and this is also the principle of our training facility as you might know. What are you able to offer in exchange?”

Kariha slowly rose from the floor, appearing more approachable and awake now. Her mind was finding its way towards reality again; she was already checking her mental schedule and thinking about the lessons she would prepare as she waited for Kail’s idea of a payment. No doubt the other Konti would have something to offer – everyone had something to offer, whether they realized it or not. Accepting money as payment was against the rules, though, so Kariha was clearly looking for something else.

It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kail D'Rea on June 29th, 2010, 11:16 pm

This was the tricky part. Willing, of course, to pay for the lessons, Kail was not sure how to make it worth the while of the dance instructor. She had considered the possibilities and rejected most of them as unacceptable. Her skills with etching had been used before to create patterns on the blades of weapons and in the pavilion this would be valued by some, but she didn’t consider herself to have the high level required to work for one of the masters. Calligraphy and writing were not things she could see a use for either. Of course the master might know of a need and she would like to help in her own unique way. There were not many on the island who had the skills she did and if they could be used, it would be more satisfying then anything else. She decided it would be best just to explain her particular skills and offer to serve in the pavilion in anyway that would be helpful, including cleaning up or helping with lower level instruction.

“I am most willing to pay for your kind services and happy to offer my skills, meager though they are, in any way that would be helpful to you or to the pavilion. I recently completed my training in calligraphy and I can create documents, certificates and similar works. It also copy well and even write a little. I have also trained in the art of etching. I can work on most metals and create all the basic patterns and even some more complicated ones. Of course I know these are not the skills most used here, so any task you have I will gladly complete. I can help with the daily upkeep of the pavilion in the training areas or assist any of the masters in anyway I can. Please use my skills as you will.”
Kail D'Rea
Crafter of Words

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on July 11th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Kariha seemed unperturbed by Kail’s obvious modesty when it came to her skills. In fact, the other Konti knew something she had been searching for for quite some time now. With a thoughtful look she remained in front of Kail, seemingly inspecting her opponent, but in fact looking at nothing in particular. Her eyes were distant. Then she turned and looked at the quiet lake. It seemed that Akajia had sent this one to assist her and become a part of the carefully laid out plan.

When turning back to Kail, the Mistress was smiling. “I do have use for your skill, don’t worry. It will be a challenge, if your etching truly is on par with what you’re saying, but the ones who are passionate about their profession love challenges, right? Yes, you will pay with an etching work for me. I believe that’ll be enough. What do you think?”

Once that was sorted out, Kariha elaborated: “There are some preparations that need to be done before I require your skills. That might take a couple of days, but I’ll send you a note when I’m ready.” Her mood was even more brightened now which the permanent smile on her features clearly showed.

After some moments of further thought Kariha moved over to the lessons issue and suggested: “Let’s start tomorrow afternoon, if that’s alright for you. Three bells before sunset?” As soon as Kail had agreed or suggested another time, they would seal the contract with pressing the right hand against each other’s – the Konti version of a formal handshake. Then Kariha would disappear into the interior of the pavilion to look after the students and Kail was free to dedicate the rest of the day to whatever she wished to do.

OOCFeel free to start with your training in the next post. If you're ready to fulfill the promise, start a new thread describing how you get Kariha's note and wait at the pavilion to meet her.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kail D'Rea on July 20th, 2010, 8:40 pm

With a smile of relief that her task would be something fun and challenging, Kail agreed to the price. "I would be honored, Kariha, to use my skills to assist by creating an etching. I thank you for allowing me to prove my skills and look forward to hearing from you about the task." She offered her hand to Kariha to seal the deal, then went on, "In the mean time, I shall arrive tomorrow to benefit from for your teaching. Thank you and I wish you a good day."

Kariha went off into the pavilion as Kail turned to go. She had arrived early and planed to enjoy a slow walk back to the city in the cool morning air.

Kail arrived at the pavilion the next day a little before the appointed time. She was excited about the training, in spite of being nervous about showing how little grace and skill she could put into the traditional dance she hadn't done in so long. Now in the moments before the lesson began, she found a quiet corner and started to systematically stretch her muscles.

Whenever she worked out, Kail wondered why she didn't more often. Her work kept her indoors, but her body loved to stretch and she sat on the floor, loosening up her feet, her legs, her arms and her core, she felt her mind relax and as her body warmed up. Soon she rose and started bending, lunging and extending herself in every way she knew. She would be ready when Kariha came.
Kail D'Rea
Crafter of Words

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets