Solo Denial

Everett learns that he is a ghost, but can he accept the truth?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Denial

Postby Everett on February 6th, 2013, 4:48 pm

-
Denial

Timestamp: 50th of Winter, 512 AV

Something was not right, Everett was beginning to realize. People were acting strange, and not strange in the way that pulsers often acted when around a Nuit. They were acting far stranger. It was unsettling. Everett did not like to be unsettled.

He had been milling around the docks for nearly a bell, trying to ask people about where he might legally acquire a body. Most of the sailors he'd spoke to looked at him like he was crazy, some of them ignored him, and some of them purposely avoided him. It was really quite annoying, and very rude. In Sahova people were not exactly social, but at the very least they were generally polite to one another. Granted, being impolite to a powerful wizard was usually a dangerous thing, so it was best to keep ones manners in top shape anyway.

While the reactions of the sailors toward him were disturbing, they were not the only thing that was bother him. There was something else.. something he could not quite put his finger on. Something was wrong, but for the unlife of him, he simply could not figure out what it was. Unfortunately he did not have the time to figure it out. He needed to get a new body, and eventually one of the sailors would be able point him in the right direction.

"Excuse me," he asked as another of the sailors began to pass him by. Much to Everett's delight, the sailor stopped. Well.. really, he started in surprise, then turned in the direction of the voice. In truth, Everett was rather hard to see. He blended with his surroundings quite well, being mostly transparent, and in the fading light it made him difficult to see. Everett did not realize this, nor did he really know how to make it better at that moment, but after a closer look the sailor did spot him, and a look of pity came over the man's face.

"I know, I know," Everett began, "I'm in a terrible state, aren't I? I'm in desperate need of a new body, as you can plainly see. Do you know where the Nuit's go when they need new bodies?"
Everett
Player

Words: 12570
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Denial

Postby Everett on February 6th, 2013, 5:13 pm

The sailor did not ignore him or appear confused, or give him a look as if he was insane, like so many others did. Instead the pity in his eyes grew deeper. He seemed unsure of how to respond, but Everett had no problem helping him.

"I know, I know. I look terrible. No need to pity me, just point me in the right direction of wherever I can get a new body, and I'll be back on my way to Sahova in no time."

The sailor shook his head, the pity still plain on his face. "I don't think you need a body."

"Well of course I need a new body! As you can see, this one is clearly damaged. I doubt it could survive the trip back to Sahova, or even much of a walk around the city. I'm amazed I even made it here, to be honest."

"No, that's not what I mean. It's just..."

This was not the first time the sailor had met a ghost. As a veteran of many voyages on the high sea, he'd lost more than a few shipmates, and more than once they had returned as ghosts, holding on to the last bit of life they could. They were all miserable, and sometimes they did not understand what had happened to them.

"I mean, I don't think you need a new body, because you are dead."

"Well of course I'm dead, I'm a nuit! And nuit need new bodies from time to time. Surely you've heard of us?"

"No, I didn't mean it that way. I mean.. you aren't a Nuit anymore. ...you are a ghost."

Part of Everett's mind reeled when he spoke those words.. but it was a very small part, way in the back. Probably just the part that controlled basic functions like breathing and motor control.. which he no longer needed either of. But that part, that part reeled in understanding. The large majority of the rest of his mind, however, rejected the notion entirely as completely and utterly preposterous.

"A ghost? Don't be ridiculous. If I was a ghost, I think I'd have realized that by now. I just need to find a new body."
Everett
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Denial

Postby Everett on February 14th, 2013, 11:12 pm

"No, I'm serious. You are dead, you are a ghost. The sooner you realize it, the sooner you can pass on. Please, I'm trying to help you."

Everett nearly laughed at that. In all his years he had never heard a pulser say something so ridiculous. Granted, he had been a pulser once himself, something that he couldn't seem to stop remembering recently, but he was almost certain he had never said anything so utterly ridiculous.

"No, you are crazy. And you are trying to get me to give up searching for a new body because.. because.. well, clearly you don't like us Nuit. A lot of pulsers don't, I know they don't. I've been told many times back in Sahova... can't remember exactly when, which is strange, because usually my memory is spot on. But I know I was told that before. But I am certainly not a ghost."

Part of Everett's mind rebelled against him then. Suddenly he realized everything the man said was true. He remembered looking down at his dead body, yes dead. Completely dead. Battered and beaten beyond the use of even a Nuit. He remembered trying to grab the flower and how he wasn't able to. It all made perfect sense... but the rebellion was not met without resistance. The rebellion was small, but it was strong. His mind began to wage war with itself, while the pulser just looked on, wondering what was happening.

Part of his mind said he was a ghost, and that the pulser was right. The other side said petch the pulser, there's no way! They battled for chimes, but eventually both sides realized neither could win, and so a compromise was formed. On the one hand, it was clearly not true that he was a ghost. But on the other hand, he was clearly a ghost, and would need to start living like one.. or.. whatever it was that ghosts did. Suddenly, Everett became aware of the man staring at him again.

"No, I am fairly certain I am not a ghost. Now, I'll thank you for your time, sir, but I think I'll be on my way."

And with that, Everett walked away from the man. His mind was still sorting out how exactly it should handle things. Everett clearly wasn't willing to accept what his mind knew to be true, but he was useless as he was. He knew a bit about ghosts, you didn't live two hundred centuries without picking up a thing or two, but he was certainly not an expert. He knew ghosts could do things, like take control of bodies, appear solid, and fling pots and pans across the kitchen, but he had no idea how they went about doing it. He didn't make it far from the man when he realized he'd just had a golden opportunity to test out one of those rumors. Everett spun around, startling the man who was still watching him.

"Oh, sir! I just thought of something that I think will interest you. Now, you say I am a ghost, and that is completely ludicrous.. but if you are right, then maybe this will work. ..now.. how do I... maybe.."

Everett walked towards the man and reached out to poke him.

"What are you doing?"

"Shhh. I'm experimenting."

Everett's finger passed into the man, causing him to feel a cold sensation, but otherwise not harming him.

"Hmm... interesting. Now... what if I did this."

Suddenly Everett lurched forward, sort of like he was trying to chest bump the man, and passed right into him. The man went rigid for just a moment as he battled for control of his own body, before easily expelling the ghost. For Everett, it felt like an eternity. As soon as he passed into the man's body he could feel his soulmist expanding out, meshing with the man's own flesh, coursing along his nervous system. For a brief instant he saw through the man's eyes, before he lost touch with that. It was insanely complex, impossible to navigate, and almost overwhelming. Everett could feel the man's mind reeling against him, and before he knew it, he was thrown from the body.

Everett crumpled to the ground behind the man, completely exhausted from the strain of even attempting to possess him. The man, for his part, began to shout angrily at the ghost before deciding it was probably a better idea just to flee the scene, which he promptly did so. Everett paid him no further attention. He had possessed the man for less than a chime, less than even half a chime, but it had been exhausting. he had no experience, no idea what he was doing.. and yet, by luck, he had seen through the man's eyes. It was exhilarating.

This is how I will find my new body, Everett thought to himself as he struggled to rise, an act that was more mental than physical since he had no physical body to struggle with.

"I need.... to rest."

~End
Everett
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes