A Chance Meeting [Kelmar Hedos]

Liena in the Silver Sliver hoping to learn more about the city

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Liena on February 9th, 2013, 1:13 am

31st of Winter, 512 AV

The Silver Sliver, an ominous meeting place for the shady, the crazy and the ‘normal’ in Liena’s eyes and it was just the perfect place to observe and listen to the various personalities that roamed the canal’s of Ravok. Perhaps listening would also lead to her finding out where she would best be suited in this city, where her calling truly wished her to go. Liena really didn’t know what treasures or tragedies might come her way within the four walls of the tavern but she figured she could at least find out, at the very worse she’ll be uninterested and look somewhere else. Stepping forward and taking a deep breath she adjusted her hood to make sure it was hiding as much of her face and hair as possible before she pulled open the door and shifted inside as silently as possible. She didn’t want to draw eyes, that was not the purpose of this current ‘mission’ - this was more of a recon assignment for herself so she understood the city in which she now lived a bit better.

The room was rather dimly lit though it wasn’t so much that it made it hard to see, a quiet hum of whispers and conversation vibrated against her skin as she glanced at the patrons within. Alcohol and sweat permeated the air while her nose wrinkled subtly for a moment missing the scents of her sweet flowers from home but she knew she’d have to get used to that. Pushing her way in she brushed past a barmaid and several tables where citizens were sitting until she made her way to the bar which was less crowded then the rest of the room and it gave her the vantage of observing without seeming like she was observing others.

There was one other at the bar, a man tall in stature and lean in body, Liena took a swift look of him before she sat herself with a single stool separating her from him. As the bartender approached her she tilted her head up politely and slid over four CM for the cheapest drink on the menu, a mug of ale. The ale wasn’t for drinking, it was simply for appearance sake but in her mind wasting a few CM to gain some knowledge was worth the pay despite her lack of a fortune. Lifting the mug to her lips she tilted it until she felt the booze brush her lips and then she lowered it, her throat flexing it what appeared to be a swallowing motion though no ale touched her tongue. Liena listened to some of the nearby conversations behind her, most of them about petty problems that meant nothing to an outsider such as herself but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t stumble across something eventually.

Time passed slowly and she forgot to pretend to drink her ale and she forgot about the man beside her until she shifted her weight in her seat and caught sight of him again. This time she gave him more than a once over, this time she peered at him from beneath the shadows of her hood before speaking in a soft voice just loud enough to reach his ears over the chatter of the tavern “You’re tall ..." It was a blatant observation, of course he already knew he was tall but she was trying a different angle now since the customers currently residing here did not seem to be worth listening to in her opinion."...Do you live here?"
Because of my work schedule I might not be able to get to my posts for a few days, just be patient with me please =)
Liena
I see what guides you

Words: 20245
Joined roleplay: February 4th, 2013, 3:27 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kelmar Hedos on February 11th, 2013, 6:46 pm

It had been a long day, yet this was when activity started to increase in the Sliver. These mid to late afternoon bells were a prelude to the bustling life of the tavern when night fell and the regular patrons came to make their usual noise. While the nighttime bells offered a lot of loud and loose tongues to spread hearsay about the day's events, picking out one word among the hundreds being spoken at any one time was a challenge of its own. Sorting through the information was difficult, especially since the focus was to drink than to talk more often than not.

So Kelmar recently took to visiting the tavern in the milder bells of the evening, where conversations were always livid and the talk always fresh and recent. Words were exchanged in a much more cohesive manner, and already the snoop had picked up one or two tidbits of information that might prove useful to him in the future. Some disgruntled dock workers discussing in hushed whispered about what they saw in their crates as they were unloading a ship gained Kelmar's interest, who knew that very little varieties of cargo could startle those whose jobs were to carry the stuff. Another instance where a young woman and was discussing the stunning similarity between two different clothers to some disinterested male companionship, unaware of an interested third party. Each piece of hearsay that would be considered trivial and unimportant to most was the start of a trail to Kelmar. There was no guarantee where it would leador that it would be a profitable or worthy venture, but there was potential in each path.

So he sat, sipping his water and paying attention to the world around him. His hood was up right now, hiding his featured but also slightly muffling the sound before it reached his ears. The sacrifice was worth the benefit though, as people were less likely to recognize him later and raise suspicion. Of course, the mere act of keeping his hood up aroused some suspicion in itself, but that too was a sacrifice he deemed worth what he gained. His tall body was sitting up straight, and though he wasn't much to look at his posture was that of someone of a much higher station, not that anyone paid attention or made the connection.

The new arrival to his left hadn't escaped his attention as he heard someone take the seat just over from him, but whoever it was had come alone and unless they were meeting someone there was nothing they could do to help Kelmar. It wasn't until the gentle-voiced observation reached his ears that he began to pay attention. A woman of course, and by her remark someone of maybe average height or slightly shorter. Those who were tall themselves rarely remarked on the trait in others. Still, Kelmar didn't turn to look at her, merely sipping at his water again, whih he had ordered in a mug like any ale. Appearances were important, but his mind needed to remain clear.

Her question suggested that she wasn't a local, someone from out of town. Foreigners often held more interest in locals than other locals did, as the difference was enough to stir curiosity. Yet still he did not turn, only sitting in the same position he had been for the last half bell. After a silence, he spoke. "Yes, I do." It was a simple answer to a simple question, and Kelmar was not one to bandy words or elaborate without provocation. Instead, he turned the focus around. "So which of the cities do you hail from? Hoe recently have you arrived?"
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting
Kelmar Hedos
What you don't know can hurt you

Words: 144882
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 3:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liena on February 13th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Had she really been expecting him to answer? She wasn’t quite sure since he hadn’t been there to meet someone, at least by her observations a decent chunk of time had passed since she had arrived and still he was alone. The more she stared at him as she waited to see if he’d respond the more she picked up on the smaller details, mainly how he was holding himself in his seat compared to everyone else in the tavern who seemed more relaxed in posture. She didn’t note anything else in particular before his voice reached her and caused her eyebrows to rise ever so slightly in the shadows of her own hood, it was his questions that perked her curiosity.

Liena took her time in responding, she didn’t know the man and well he didn’t know her so while she wouldn’t lie to him she wouldn’t give him exact accounts of time and place – if he was smart enough he’d figure it out. Pulling her mug of un-drunk ale into her lap she cradled it between both of her hands still facing him and watching his every move like a sponge. “I’ve been here long enough to get myself acquainted with the city.” She carefully dodged how long she had been in Ravok as she was a firm believer of ‘fake it till you make it’ and plus she wasn’t willing to admit how little she knew about locations in the city to a man she just met. Whether he figured that out on his own however was a different story but she wasn’t going to hand him such information on a silver platter.

Pretending to take a sip from her ale, which was now warm and to be honest the smell didn’t get any better as it sat there, she paused before answering his other question “Just a hop, skip and a jump East of here honestly.” Tilting her head to the side Liena turned the focus right back onto him more out of pure interest rather than a deviant need to shield herself, at the end of the day her need to pry often outweighed her attempt at caution. She really needed to work on that. “I don’t mean to pry..” that was a lie “…but since we are currently tavern buddies and everyone else is occupied ... what’s your name? They call me Liena.”

Liena offered her name hoping it would soften him up to give his while she offered a hand to him hoping he’d reach out with his too so it didn’t turn into an awkward moment if he didn’t. This served her two purposes; one – she could see his face if he turned like a proper being, and two – so long as there was skin to skin contact she could learn a little more about him then any verbal question could pull into the open. She’d wait for him to respond with his name, whether he did or didn’t in a moment or two she’d simply speak again “Have you ever seen a glow in the dark horse?” There was youth in her voice, perhaps some naivety but mostly there was peeked interest at the stranger’s life she had decided to interrupt.

Because of my work schedule I might not be able to get to my posts for a few days, just be patient with me please =)
Liena
I see what guides you

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kelmar Hedos on February 15th, 2013, 2:27 pm

There were a lot of details that could be made out by one's face. Not just facial features, but clues into what the person was thinking and feeling as well. Once, Kelmar had managed to push a woman near to breaking point by only examining her face and nudging her mind with words. While he was not quite used to the ability, as face-to-face interactions were only recently made part of his job, he was smart enough to figure out a lot of things from thr small tells in a face. Which was exactly why he wan't turning to face the woman beside him. Any look at his face would be an advantage to her as much as himself. Eventually it would become inevitable, but the more practice he had with discerning details without examining a face the less he would have to show his own.

When she finally spoke, after what was probably a chime or two of deliberate tnought, her answer was vague and left holes where it was important. She was either trying to be as mysterious as he was, or she was trying to fake knowing more than she let on. There was a simple way to test which one. "So I assume your trip from the Nitrozian Plaza was a long one," Kelmar commented, waiting for an answer. "Have you visited the Temple yet? It's quite the sight to see. Been meaning to visit myself some time, but I forget how to get there. Think you could direct me?" All lies, lies that supplemented his obvious ploys. Such was his desire to know more, to be one step ahead, and such was his ability to do so. They were by no means subtle, but depending on who he was dealing with that was good. If she understood the true meaning behind his tactics, then she could be potentially useful. Of course, familiarity with the city helped.

Kelmar took another gulp of water, his back still arrow straight and his head level and forward-facing, not even turning to acknowledge the woman to his left. Her answer narrowed down the list of possibilities greatly, as there were very few cities that could be considere 'just east' of Ravok. Sunberth, Sahova, Nyka, and Mura were all east, but Sunberth and Sahova were too far south to be as close as was implied. That narrowed it down either Nyka or Mura, , e latter of which had a very specific reputation. He knew humans were few there, so if this woman really was from that island then she'd have to be pretty impressive to be that different on an island of mostly one type of people. Ravok was the same way of course, only they emslaved people from the outside as their form of tolerance. Either way, with a bit more prompting Kelmar would know much more about this stranger.

Before his inquiries could continue however, he was met with one himself. His name was a simple enough request, and it suggested that she intended to know him for a while. While he was quick to give his name on previous accounts, that was only when he was sure that he would stand something to gain, either an associate or acontact or a piece of valuable information. Here, he had no idea who this stranger was or even if they would be useful. The potential was there, but he needed more proof before he gave his name.

So, silently, Kelmar turned his head to face her, and was met with quite a surprise.

Pale skin covered in what appeared to be tiny markings or something. Were they scales? The pale wasn't an unhealthy lack of blood either, it was a rich full color if that made any sense. Her cloak hid most of her body and her hood covered her hair, but all he needed to see was the face to understand instantly that she had to be from Mura. Too inhuman in appearance to be simply from Nyka. Of course, there undoubtedly were some there, but by a jump she must have meant the outer ocean. How was such a person not already enslaved by slavers? She was quite short too.

"You have placed yourself in great danger coming here," Kelmar said indifferently, completely ignoring her offered hand and what she said afterward. Touching was something he didn't do often, it was a good way to culture unease within the other person, and he had no idea what she was referring to with her utterly pointless nonsense. "Any non-citizens are in danger if becoming enslaved, and non-humans are in especial peril as their unique traits make them easy to spot. Not to mention they are generally regarded as inferior due to the racist superiority encouraged by those in power." This threw a slight crinkle in his plans to gain a potential associate. He himself had nothing against other races, but it would make movement difficult and suspicions high. Especially for a non-citizen.
Kelmar Hedos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liena on February 15th, 2013, 7:08 pm

The small Konti female did not miss that he had not offered over his name like she did, she was not worried about sharing hers as a name could be changed very easily though she kept that concealment in the back of her mind for now. At the present moment she was more interested in the fact he had finally turned his face towards hers revealing a man that looked the part of the voice. He was handsome, a human from the looks of what she could see but humans weren’t a weak race, they were strong in their differences and ability to adapt and learn. The fact he was a human however wasn’t a shock to her because just as he was about to comment on the fact she was, well, not human, she understood where she was the outweigh of human population to non.

When he didn’t return her hand shake she smoothly let her hand fall to her lap without taking offense as her head tilted beneath her hood and her eyes sparkled with amusement at his words. She was waiting, waiting this whole time without responding to even his questions about Nitrozian Plaza or the temple, she was patient as much as she was curious. The edge of indifference he held in his voice as he spoke to her the warnings she had heard from many people every time she traveled, not just to Ravok, was noted but she just watched him for another breath before leaning forward resting her elbows on her knees in a very casual posture as if she had known this man her whole life.

“Let me start off answering your questions, shall we?” Liena’s lips curled into an amused smile and the youth that had been in her voice just a moment before seemed to ease up though the interest in him simply thickened. “I have no yet visited the temple, though I do not believe you to be the fool you are trying to come off as. You know exactly where the temple is and I doubt I need to be your guide.” She paused again allowing her hand to disappear into the folds of her hood tucking back a strand of pale golden hair before she continued. “I know what dangers lie within the shadows of this city, what price they might give over my head should they realize I walk their streets unchained and unbound to anyone man …” she shrugged lightly as if echoing his indifference, her eyes finding his and holding them if he didn’t look away. “…I can handle myself.”

There was no child-like stubbornness that adorned her words; she simply spoke of what she assumed to be fact – whether later events turned her truth into a falsehood she could not at this time predict. Liena leaned back now, her hands returning her mug to the counter top before she deftly ran her hands along her cloak smoothing it out and adjusting the fabric to hide as much of the white clothing beneath. Those crystal orbs of hers fell back onto his, reflecting blue and silver against black “Are you going to turn me in to some local street slaver?” There was no worry in her tone, it was a simple question that could be answered with a simple response.

“…or will you tell me your namelike a proper gentleman and we can drop the conversation of turning me into a slave and speak about something more interesting…. Like why is a man who speaks like you and carries himself such as you do sitting in a bar incognito? That’s what I’m interested in, or is that second date material?” Whether he gave her a straight answer or not her eyebrow would quirk and her lips would twitch holding back a grin, she found herself at times amusing even if others didn’t – it was a curse.

Liena
I see what guides you

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kelmar Hedos on February 16th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Silence was as much an answer as anything else, but even so most people misinterpreted that answer. Many thought silence meant confirmation or an admittance of not knowing, but in truth it was more flexible than that. It could mean, as it seemed to now, that the subject was simply waiting for a better time to answer. Even though the stranger hadn't answered, Kelmar knew she would, because like himself there were some people who turned an answer into a thesis to learn more about the other, expose more about them that could be useful in the future. If that's what her silence indicated, then this firstmeeting could prove useful. It all came down to how she handled herself, and then how apprehensive she was about the kind of work Kelmar performed.

When he refused to take her hand, she withdrew the offer without awkwardness or impatience, which hinted at someone who liked to remain in control or carry off a presence of calm knowing. She seemed as indifferent on thematterof her capture as he, confidence emanating from her relaxed body and her colloquial position. So, she was not worried about slavery. Someone who was so confident in their own ability to resist capture so as to be completely unbothered by the notion was either really good to be able to back it up or supremely foolish to think they are the exception. When it came slaves and those who were potential victims, there were no exceptions. At the very least, it would not impair her movement or tasks should the conversation head in that direction.

"Please do," Kelmar agreed when she made her little statement, speaking in a somewhat condescending tone. Theatrical lines were all well and good when making an impression, but Kelmar was not in the mood for elaborate speeches. At any other time he would have simply sat and waited, but this was a potential associate who was actually forcing herself forward, pretending she was in control. Yet from her clear admittance of herlack of knowledge of the city and utter dismissal of any threat that could possibly touch her, she did not seem to beaware enough to make it in the city. Simply teaching her the layout of the city would remedy the first problem, but as for her sense of invincibility only experience could truly wipe away the feeling.

During Liena's entire speech, Kelmar sat there, watching beneath the cowl of his hood. There was enough light in the tavern that his black pupils and irises reflected little glints, but his face was still darker than most of the establishment. Onlye woman right before him would be able to see his face with any degree of clarity, and that was just how it should be. As for her, fidgeting with her cloak and meszing with her hair, she seemed to be lacking the conduct that would befit a meeting like this. A lack of severity was quite obvious in her actions and words, which could prove undesirable or perhaps even slightly harmful in the future. When she finished by asking her questions, he left the preceeding question about bringing her to a slaver without an answer, as if he were considering it. Of course he wasn't, but anything to instill some sort of unease in her, a small taste of what she would be dealing with the longer she spent in this city.

Turning back to the bar, Kelmar took a quick sip of water before answering, loosening his mouth a bit. "What gave you the impression that I am a proper gentleman?" he asked a tad ominously. She would have to get used to him not playing by the rules, his competition and his targets certainly wouldn't. "If you truly need to ask why I am here, when you have so many pieces to the puzzle yourself, then perhaps you should start preparing tactics to avoid slavers for I feel avoiding them in the long term requires someone brighter." Finally, he turned back to face Liena, his cold black eyes emotionless yet foreboding all the same. "And now I must ask, what makes you think we'll be meeting again? You clearly like to think you're on top of everything, but you do not even know the layout of the city as well as you implied, and simply knowing how to take care of yourself will not help you when a group of slavers come by. No one will step in to save you when that happens, for in the eyes of the city you simply aren't important enough to be worth saving."

With that, Kelmar stood up, sliding his mug of water across to the patron's side of the bar. Since he'd taken up space without buying anything, he slid a couple coppers across the bar as well, just to appease Jeb. That done, the snoop made as if to leave, walkimg right by Liena om his way put. However, he stopped just as he passed her, but didn't turn. "If you think yourself above being able to be caught, I have something to show you. Then we'll see if I can tell you what I do."

Whether Liena stood up to follow or not, Kelmar continued out into and across Nitrozian Plaza, heading towards one of the canals. Once there, he hailed one of the ravosalas, waiting for the small boat to pull up before stepping on, waiting for Liena if she decided to come with.
Kelmar Hedos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liena on February 17th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Liena’s eyes never left him as he spoke, even when he turned himself to the bar to wet his lips with his drink. His next question didn’t shock her, it was a logical question – how did she know he was a proper gentleman? “Being a gentleman does not mean you hold a door open for a lady, I don’t expect that from you – it would be silly to.” She shrugged within her cloak “There are several definitions of the word as I understand it.” Though his next insult definitely tested her definition of the word ‘gentleman’ but she just watched him not feeling the need to defend her intelligence in that moment, not because he was right or wrong but because she felt it needed no response.

Liena smiled softly at his next question but she let him continue talking before she spoke any and when she did her voice was matter-of-fact and calm. “Let’s just say I have a feeling we’ll run into each other again, after all this city is only so big …” Liena would see him again, he had caught her attention and it was only a matter of time before she tracked him down to learn more about him even if she didn’t actually approach him. She liked to call these moments ‘dates’ so that she wasn’t flat out saying she was stalking someone because it was only stalking if it ended harmful … right?

Their conversation seemed to be ending though as he chose that moment to tip the barkeep and stand up, she did nothing to stop him figuring she would find him later and wishing not to push her luck with the man. To her surprise however he stopped just beside her and spoke again, it was like fuel to the fire and she held her tongue allowing him to continue on his way. Perhaps it was a trap, perhaps not but her feet found the ground either way and her untouched ale was slid back to Jeb as she made her way towards the door the human just exited.

For all she knew this could be the same trap she wandered into over a decade ago, this could be a disaster and her life could be thrown upside down all over again but she fought those cautious thoughts and followed him. The quiet hum of the tavern was disturbed by the louder voices in the plaza as she opened the door and paused just outside looking for him. She knew nothing of this man, well almost nothing, she knew he was smart, observant and that he could very well be her undoing if this was anything like her trip to Sahova.

Finally Liena spotted him hailing one of the Ravosalas, making her way to his side she didn’t look up at him she simply watched the movement of the water beneath them allowing it to give her a sense of calm. “I don’t need to be worth anything to the city …” She spoke in a whisper “…just worth enough to one person that if I do get in a bind someone has my back.” As the ravosala pulled up she waited for him to board first before she followed, it wasn’t until the boat started moving did she finally ask a question of him while her eyes constantly tracked the pathway they were taking and the people they were passing. “So Mr. Mysterious …. Where are we going?”

Liena
I see what guides you

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kelmar Hedos on February 20th, 2013, 12:46 am

Kelmar said nothong in response to her whisper at first, letting her join him on the ravosala and remaining silent as she asked as well. Instead, he turned back to the driver to give directions. "Plaza of Dark Delights," he said, his voice low and unassuming. Nodding, the man pushed his pole against the side of the canal and set them off towards the immoral destination.

The young Hedos sat in silence as the driver maneuvered them through the many waterways, the buildings on either side resembling a giant labyrinth as the sound of water breaking against the bow rose softly from the surface. As they grew nearer, the folks in common si ple garb grew less frequent until there was a point where there were few people at all.

A corner turn later and it was clear that they were growing closer. There were people on the walkways and bridges now, but they by and large looked well off or at least better than the common stock back in Nitrozian Plaza. Not all were dressed like royalty, in fact those who were were a minority, but they were all dressed finely and obviously had some mizas to spend. Some brothels and shops of questionable repute opened out onto the canal, adverising the sights and smells within. Whether that attracted or repelled visitors was hard to say.

Eventually the ravosala drew up alongside the Plaza of Dark Delights, and Kelmar paid the driver before stepping off and heading towards a certain pavilion, not bothering to wait for Liena. When she caught up, he kept the silence for a while longer before finally replying to her earlier whisper. "You will be hard pressed to find such a person," the agent said quietly. "This city isn't as noble as Nyka or Mura, this I can guarantee without having ever been to either place." With that, he would remain silent once more, continuing to briskly stride forward until he reached their destination.

That destination was the slave market.

Kelmar didn't actually enter the pavilion, stopping just outside, but that was close enough to make out what was going on within. Metal poles rising from the ground itself were adorned with manacles and chains, scattered throughout the open air space like a forest of iron. Men and women of all races wearing clothes that ranged from tattered to simple were kept restrained to these poles, some fighting and some broken, as well-dressed slave merchants bellowed about their prime examples the same way one would present a slab of meat. Upon a central wooden stage, a toned young man stood chained and emontionless, apparently broken in by the slavers who caught him.

He was not what Kelmar had brought Liena here to see however. Wordlessly, he gestured to the various pale women chained up throughout the pavilion, all clearly of the same race as his companion. Now he remembered the name, Konti. Very few of them looked accepting of their situation, but all were quiet for fear of the slavers strolling the market. "People of your kind have come here before," Kelmar explained. "If they are not followers of Rhysol or now citizens of Ravok, they are here for sale."

Suddenly, the agent turned back to Liena, his cold black eyes Staring sharply into hers. "What I want to know is how you can avoid such a fate. What guarantees that you won't end up like them?"
Kelmar Hedos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liena on February 21st, 2013, 1:49 pm

Liena let him keep his silence; there was no pressure for him to answer because one way or another she would find out where they were going for better or worse. The cloaked female turned her eyes outward towards the path they were taking through the canals attempting to memorize the route and location of some of the buildings that made up the floating city of Ravok. Each turn led her to new sights while she let the name of her destination swirl in her mind like a cocktail of possibilities, the Plaza of Dark Delights. Death, mayhem, structure – it’s all fitting to the name of the plaza they were approaching, and it’s all fitting to the God this city worshipped as well. It was that thought that caused a private smile of intrigue to cross her lips.

The dress of the citizens had changed over time as well and she noted that in the back of her mind however now it was time to disembark the ravosala and follow the mysterious man whose life she had interrupted with her own. Reaching out she grasped a post and used it as leverage to lift her steps gently onto the walk way before she moved to his left side. Her silence held until he spoke, her eyes never looking up into his though her response was spoken in that same whisper she had used before stepping onto the ravosala. “I did not come here seeking nobility.”

She paused in her words as he started walking, her strides shorter and faster than his due to their height differences but she continued speaking once she matched his pace. “I don’t expect it to be easy to find someone worth being loyal to or someone willing to be loyal to me … nothing is worth it if it’s easy or would you not agree?”

When they stopped just outside of the market Liena shifted her weight slightly and held herself by his side though her large blue eyes peered at those within the pavilion, both slaver and slaves alike. It was definitely a sight she had not seen before, both men and women of different ages and different races strung up like the property, after all that was how the humans of Ravok saw them. Liena’s eyes narrowed slightly focusing her gaze upon the man in the center first as he seemed to be the current display and then they traveled over to her Konti sisters and her usually smiling lips were brought to a frown.

The male’s words traveled along her spine like fire and though she hated seeing the other Konti women in the state they were she was still convinced this would not be her fate. When his eyes snapped to her it was like a magnet that drew her own gaze up to his, at first she did not answer his question but she took her time making sure she strung the right words together. “My perseverance convinces me I won’t be like them and the fact that I came here knowing what I was going to face, I came here prepared for it.”

Liena took that moment to study his face before she looked back at the Konti women and tilted her head “How much do you know about my kind?” The question was innocent in nature, she wanted to know the extent of what she might have to tell him or if he simply knew all. “I understand what you are trying to prove but I am meant to be in this city... not bound by collar and chain but I am meant to be here for something great. I don’t expect you to understand but don’t assume I will find myself in the same fate as they are.” She nodded her head towards the Konti’s and watched him calmly almost expecting him to call her a child, naïve and stupid for thinking that she will defy the odds that were against her.

Liena
I see what guides you

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kelmar Hedos on February 22nd, 2013, 1:36 am

Liena's rebuttals went unanswered. Even if she made comebacks, they weren't particularly strong in counteracting his own in his mind, and they didn't really satisfy the agent hat she knew what she was doing and how to keep herself safe. For a moment, Kelmar wondered why he was doing all this for the sake of a woman he had only just met and didn't even know. Simple answer was that she was of use to him potentially, but any associate of his would need to be able to keep themselves from captivity and depriving him of their usefulness. He had not enough money to just buy up as slaves visitors who could be useful.

Judging from her body tension, this display was having the desired effect on the little Konti. Tnere was definite hesitation and doubt in her eyes when she turned to face him, which implied he was doing as he intended. However, that quickly grew into a resolve that she would not end up the same, that somehow knowing what fate could befall her would assist her in avoiding it. There was nothing that would be so simple. Still, her conviction was both refreshing and interesting to observe, a trait that he did not commonly see in his line of work. While it would prove problematic if there was a lack of olanning involved, such a drive could be exploited to the snoop's advantage, especially if he were there to supervise her.

"Not much," Kelmar replied honestly. "Your kind are usually enslaved by the time I meet them." While he did not relate to her sentiments of belonging to this city, such a foolish base calling could easily be exploited. A natural belonging led to curiosity, which led to wanting to know things, which lead to actually knowing them. Such curiosity could prove beneficial. Her reason was still foolish, instinct was the body outspeaking the mind, but that was of no consequence if he profited. While in method she may have been lacking a lot of things, in terms of dedication she was impressive. Determination was sometimes as important as planning, though never quite as useful.

For a moment, Kelmar didn't say a word. His black eyes simply gazed into her blue ones, swallowing up the briter colors in darkness. Then, he spoke, quietly. "I do not assume anything. I suspect that you are not thinking this out as far as you should." Pause. "What do you have to offer that would make someone consider it worth it to take you under their wing?"
Kelmar Hedos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next