[Bethsyliss's scrapbook] Sandbox

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Bethsyliss on February 23rd, 2013, 9:30 pm

Haha no actually he's gonna teach me how to wield a dagger and then we're gonna go on a quest to avenge Singh. How cool is that!

How did your exams go?

And I think people in roleplaying tend to plan their stuff too much. It's like anyone can know their character entirely. It's not true. Whatever you want your character to be, there's a reason why you want them to be that way. If you try to state that reason in character concept then all you're doing is creating another reason why you're stating the reason. The truth of the subject is elusive in its nature, and therefore the truth about all of the subject's creations are as well. So you know, don't beat yourself over the head (is that even an expression) trying to get things exactly right, coz the exact right way is the way it just naturally turns out. Basically don't think and just go for it man. The biggest obstacle in any creative process is at the same time the only thing that makes it possible: the creator. Let your character grow naturally by being the portal through which creativity flows; don't try to control it and choose stuff for your character. When people do that they try to make pseudo-realistic characters with consistent traits, but the truth is people aren't consistent. They're full of paradoxes. Let your character be full of paradoxes or he'll end up being one-dimensional and very constraining (and boring).

Now I realized something fun the other day. Say sofa. Really, say it before you read any further. Good. Now say Thofa. With a lisp, your character name sounds like "sofa" mispronounced. It's awfully funny for some reason.
Bethsyliss
Player

Words: 142748
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Thofa on February 23rd, 2013, 10:37 pm

Ohh who's Singh? And yeah you're totaly right about the character. The thing is that when it try and write i just get so carried away and think of another and get excited about writing about that other story that i loose foothold. Find another posibility later and repeat. Haha. I know that when i just got this history down i know that things will run more fluently. I'm always like that. Oh and btw, after all your ranting(or how it's spelled) about ppl should answer faster etc and took you hours to reply. Shame on you! People don't need sleep or free time right? ;) And haha yeah i didn't even think about that my name sounds like sofa xD you see when i think about it i pronounce his name different cus of how it would sound in swedish, haha. Ohhh and it went well, microeconimical theory, fun right? Had to help my friend who was all worked up about loosing his funding for his appartment cus he thought he would fail, and he has failed too many courses already, poor guy. So old nice alex came and saved the day, he was so thankful it's kinda funny. Oh and i couldn't split my text up cus i haven't figured out how on this ipad yet, haha. Deal with it mkay? I was gonna write somethin more but forgot... Dammit.
Thofa
Player

Words: 9626
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2013, 12:12 am
Race: Kelvic

Postby Bethsyliss on February 23rd, 2013, 10:52 pm

She's some prissy Eypharian girl whom I've unintentionally befriended and may have pledged that I would help her avenge her unborn baby even if it meant I had to go halfway across the world for that. Syliss gets kinda rash sometimes.

And ya I know, I don't check my scrapbook that often lol. The forum is screwed up with not being able to see which subforums have new posts from the index and all. Grr. At least I'm not sleeping! That's for weak people.

I'm so curious as to how you'd pronounce Thofa in swedish. I ran it into the google translate vocal thingy but I can't hear a thing because of the damn quality of the service. I just thought, when we read posts on a forum, we read them in our own voice, but actually they were written with a different voice and perhaps radically different accent in mind. I know, INTERSTING RITE.

Maybe your friend is just not into the stuff he's trying. I know that I fail when I don't care about what I'm doing but I succeed when I'm motivated. But Tack Alex anyway! (Yea I had google translate handy so might as well use it.) I hope you took advantage of his thankfulness.

And isn't an ipad just like an iphone but bigger? You just gotta press return or something. It's in one corner I think. I used to write big posts on the iphone while i was in the metro. It's horrible, believe me.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Bethsyliss on February 23rd, 2013, 10:55 pm

And shame on you for not having found my scrapbook earlier if I may say so myselves.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Thofa on February 23rd, 2013, 11:20 pm

Haha, no shame on me! We talked in my intro thread before!
And no he's actully extremely motivated, but he's kinda slow, in lack of a nicer word. That's why I feel sorry for him and feel so obligated to help him.

And i kinda just pronounce it as T-hofa, or just Tofa. It's actully some hindu word for gift, i think, i could be wrong. I always suck at choosing names so i just scroll through various pages til i find somethin that sits right on my tounge for what i want.
And haha no i'm not taking advantage if it, yet! We'll just see what the future holds ;)
And yeah i hear that alot of people read things in their own voice. For me it depends on how i'm reading, fast or slow. If i read slow i get a more personal feel and i get different voices depending on how the character is made up. Atleast when it's a very catching read!

You're very lucky that you set the rule against bbcodes in here cus i love using all that kind of shit! This thing would be bursting with colors and images, haha. And yeah sleep is for the weak. When the weak sleep is when history is written!

Oh and btw, is your CS without a background headline? Or am i just blind? :o
Thofa
Player

Postby Bethsyliss on February 24th, 2013, 12:16 am

I don't really like bbcodes and all that stuff when it gets too flowery and distracts from the text which is really the body of what you're trying to communicate. By having to use Internet and a screen (and writing) we've already alienated many parts of language like intonation and body gestures and the mysterious stuff that is carried by a voice and a person speaking so I think we do ourselves a disservice if we start decorating it with rainbows and fancy fonts and all that. If what you're saying is awesome in itself then there's no need to add other stuff to it. Otherwise you're usually trying to hide what's lacking in content. But smileys, well... they help to modulate the emotions accompanying emotionless forum sentences when those are ambiguous. You can experiment with that: write "Hi" and stick any smiley next to it. Remove that smiley and put another one in its stead. It changes the meaning quite a lot. Proof that meaning is not entirely contained in words and wording. But we'd need to post our real faces real-time and that's technologically impossible.

Unless you're trying to be artsy. But then you don't need words. Or something. Well, it's far more complicated than that, but all just to say it's not simples. Moderators seem to like to break the rule. Mr Freud might have called that a God complex. Or, nor Freud. Jones I think.

Thofa. It seems wrong to write Thofa that way now. I'm gonna write Θofa from now on. Cuz thêta isn't the english th sound (which is either /ð/ or /θ/... interestingly), it's a T followed by aspiration. That's how we believe the Greeks pronounced it anyway. Θofa. If you can tell me how to pronounce the "o" (open or closed) i can make it even better lol.

And what do you mean by background headline? Images and stuff?
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Thofa on February 24th, 2013, 12:47 am

Ohhh nah i mean your background history for your little snake! All I've found so far is what i can make out from your PC's parents in the CS, but i guess that you answer the most there. I'm just a little tired atm, first day after big exam and all and I finaly get to sleep and rest and it makes me all like a Thofa potato.

And yes i get what you're sayin in terms of how all the codes and stuff can get in the way of your writing, but it also means that you got something that holds enough importance that anything else will ruin the point with it. Tho the thing with me is, when I'm not doing anything that's super important that i feel need all the focus on getting the point through, I just love visual effects and various visualy pleasent aspects. I also think it creates atmosphere around what you are typing and what you want to do with the work you are doing. Altho I have studied in an art program when i was younger and maby that's why I'm all like blaarrrgghhh about doing all that kind of stuff! And I just always like to share music, photos and videos haha.

Idk i just have a really mixed and odd background. I was born in a music family, my dads a boss at a big corporation, although he was in a rock band when he was a kid, and my moms a music teacher. Both me and my brother has also played in bands. Then I went to an art school while studying til i was 18 and joined the army. I also used to be somewhat of a jock and I have been training in most to all sports. And now I'm studyin buisness economics as you know and most think that's really strange considering my background, haha. I'm just a man of contrast i guess.

Oh and I was never any good at phonetics, for all i know when you talk about that stuff it could be in greek and i still wouldn't know that it was ;)
Thofa
Player

Postby Bethsyliss on February 24th, 2013, 1:16 am

I've got a pretty messed up background. But you know, as long as you can make the most of it, you're sure to do just fine in life, whatever you went through. What does the Swedish army do anyway? And you must be hott if you're all about sports!

It's actually better if you can't share the links directly when you wanna share media cuz then it forces you to talk about it so that the others can look it up. That way you actively engage in what you're sharing and it's not just an http, it can actually whet people's appetite before they even go and see it or listen to it or whatever. Coz I mean, if one isn't prepared to look for it, then it probably isn't worth it for them.

Yeah I chose not to include background history and character concept because that way people have to actually ask about it and learn about the character. Also because writing down the background history would force me to select a few episodes from my character's history, which is really diminutive in the context of an RP forum, especially one where it's possible to write flashbacks. Basically my character's history is the sum of all the threads where it's mentioned and the flashbacks. Also in a peculiar way it's really a sum of all the threads because, once you write up something, it immediately becomes history. Though more story than history; but roleplaying is about telling stories, not histories, right? But the flashback in Summer 422 (Lights Out) says the most about Syliss's background. The related NPCs parents thing is just a summary of what happened then.

Now I'm picturing a potato-shaped sofa, lol. You're awesome, go to bed, I won't think you're weak if you do.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Thofa on February 24th, 2013, 1:36 am

Oh the Swedish army does most to all, we've had troops in afghanistan, libya etc. Altho when i signed up i was in a freshly started relationship and it was really hard to choose what i wanted in life, that recruiting process was just hell for me. I ended up signing for the national guard since it's just a few times a year you train, even tho i can get called out at any moment, yeah I'm still in the army. We ended up breaking it off anyway in the middle of the basic training months so thinking back now I might have not done the same thing knowing what i do now. Altho I've always wanted to finnish a degree at university level before I signed up for anything full time like that, so I guess it will work out anyway. Sad thing is I injured myself during the survival period and it took me like 8 months or so too feel fully recoverd. So now I'm just trying to get my form back whilst studying for my degree.

And you got a point in what you're saying, you always do! I just really want people to respond and say something when I send out stuff so i tend to try and make it easy for them, just for my own kicks!

And the same thing about the history, of course it's more fun if you follow the plot and get to experience what's happening first hand. Altho a background summary in the CS could also be used as a summary for people to know what has happend in all the work up til now, and be alterd as you go!
Thofa
Player

Postby Thofa on February 24th, 2013, 1:38 am

Like if you have gone a full year of rping and you start playing with someone new, and they try to keep up with your whole background whilst interacting in the rp, it could cause you to have to wait for periods of time, wich I've read you're not too fond of ;) hintety-hint-hint haha
(i think i filled the max word count up there, therefor 2 posts!)
Thofa
Player

PreviousNext