Closed Confronting the Obvious

[Dragul] and Svasra go for a ride, and find much more than just wilderness

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Svasra on April 4th, 2013, 2:35 am

Timestamp: 70th of Winter, 512 AV

NotePermission given by Valkyrie for the trading and Laria's done in this post ^-^ Also this was bumped so Dragul would realize it was posted.

"How can I help you?" The man spoke fluent Vani, his dark hair and shifting eyes marking him one of the regular traders that littered Frozen Falls. He owned a tack caravan that rarely left the city, offering tack for the beautiful Frostmarch horses of Avanthal - though realistically they could be used on any horse. Svasra had solely searched him out today, as she realized she had absolutely no tack to go riding on Frozen Tundra, having been trained on the tack within the Frostfawn's stables.

Smiling, Svasra took a moment to appreciate the generous selection he had to offer, not only of his own, but also from other places he managed to get a hold of. Of course, they were much more expensive than Svasra was ever willing to pay. "Hello! I was just looking to buy some general tack for my horse," Svasra chimed happily.
"Alright," the man replied with a nod, "Sounds easy enough. So you'll be looking for saddle blanket, halter, bit and bridle, and a riding saddle then?" He brought out each item as he spoke, laying out different colors of leather, and cloth of the blanket between them.
"I am travelling far, and don't want to have to re-purchase items everywhere."
"I assure you, all of these are treated equally, so no matter which you choose you will have the best there is." Touching each, Svasra settled on a darker-hued leather that was a pleasant color in between a black and dark brown. The saddle blanket was a plain black as well, soft and durable. As he gathered them up and put away the other things, the trader commented, "If you are travelling far I might suggest a blanket and hood, also some saddlebags."

Svasra took a moment to think as she paid the man, frowning slightly. "I have a lot to carry ... do you think I should look into purchasing another horse to bring supplies?"
"I am assuming we're talking tent, bedroll and such?" Svasra nodded. "I am no horse expert, but I believe if you are in no rush and just pay attention to the energy of your horse you should be alright for the most part. If you were planning on moving somewhere, I would definitely recommend then getting a small cart. Light travel makes an easy travel."
"Alright, well let me see the saddlebags and the others, then." The tack trader rummaged around for a moment before pulling out saddlebags of various sizes in various colors. He also paused to take out a couple samples of the blanket and hood sets. Though some were flashy colors, Svasra decided to stick with the darker hues she'd selected with the oher tack. "Ah, how much are these?" Svasra asked, gesturing to a basic plain black set of large saddlebags and a dark brown cloth for the blanket and hood.
"Eight gold mizas for the saddlebags, four gold mizas for the set."
"What's the total right now?"
"... so that's four gold mizas for the blanket and hood, one for the saddle blanket, one silver miza for the halter, two gold mizas for the bit and bridle, ten gold mizas for the riding saddle, and eight gold mizas for the saddle bags ..."
"I believe that's twenty-five gold mizas, and one silver miza?" The man nodded. "Alright, if I give you another silver, will you get it to the White Elk Stables and tell them to save them for the owner of Frozen Tundra?"
"Consider it done." Svasra smiled and paid the man, waving as she left the stall, hearing him call to another to deliver the supplies. Though her money was depleting, unfortunately these purchases were necessary.

Svasra's next stop was Laria's Furs, where some riding boots would be available to be purchased - so the groomers in White Elk said anyways. She moved quickly through the town, keeping her pace even, and eyes straight as to not spurn the ridicule of the people. It had relaxed a tad since the first outrage of the accusation died down, though Svasra found herself isolated from those who knew her Hold as Snowsong. It was sorry to say it was nice to have the trader oblivious to it, keeping him as happy as dealing with any other.

Stepping into Laria's Furs, Svasra tried not to notice as talk died around her and people hurried their purchases before quickly dispersing out. It was a matter of chimes before Svasra found herself alone with Arvas Skyglow. He offered a polite smile. "Riding boots?" Svasra asked, not wasting time to talk pettily with the man so she could be quickly on her way. Time was ticking, and she didn't wish to be late for meeting Dragul either. Also, it was definitely awkward when people would peek in - see her - then swiftly change pace and duck back out. A few foreigners or those who didn't know her Hold lingered around, but the air was tense with Svasra's own anxiety.

As her attention pulled away from society and its hounding nature, Svasra noticed Arvas had retrieved several pairs, holding them up for her choose. Why not just go black once more? She scanned them, but before she could say which she wanted, Arvas spoke quickly, "Try them on for size." Ah! That is why he brought so many out.

Svasra settled down on a small chair to try them on, walking around (which as definitely uncomfortable in one boot, she had to add), before deciding on a fit that worked for her. Taking a look at it, Arvas went to fetch the others within that size range, putting the others back in his perfectly efficient manner. "Which of these?" he asked, raising the shoes. Svasra was delighted to see the same shade as the saddle and tack she'd bought, selecting the dark brown that would seem black under anything but the most direct light. She tried them on for size, walked around a tad, jumped up and down just because she could, then settled down once more.
"Price?"
"Two gold mizas." Nodding, Svasra handed him the money, offered a soft thanks, and quickly stooped to pick up her other boots to carry.

Well that was done quickly. Svasra wasn't sure whether to feel happy she had managed to keep it brief and short, or guilty she didn't wish to linger in the presence of someone she felt judged by. She said no one should get used to discrimination, shunning, mockery, and the multiple other trials Snowsong was put through with the downfall of their prestigious leader, yet there Svasra was, used to it all. She just kept her head high, and wrapped herself in whatever dignity she could.

Coming into the warmth of White Elk Stables, Svasra relaxed visibly, as her only company were Frostfawns more concerned about the animals than any human, and the horses themselves that only viewed her as yet another Vantha trotting in without a treat for them.

Svasra moved to Frozen Tundra's stall, where he stamped a foot in mock impatience. "Aren't we antsy," she muttered with a small grin, clucking her tongue to draw the male away from the wall to her outstretched fingers.
"Some tack was delivered for you, we just put it in the back with the others, ask someone to fetch if for you when you need it," one of the groomers chirped at Svasra's shoulder, causing the woman to jump slightly in surprise.
"Thank you," Svasra murmured, nodding as she rubbed Frozen Tundra's nose. Leaning against the stall door, Svasra laughed slightly as Frozen Tundra stuck his head out and leveled an eye with her, cheek knocking into her in a demand for attention. "We're going riding soon, promise, we just have to wait for Dragul."
Svasra
Sit by the fire, and listen to a legend.

Words: 212637
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Dragul on April 4th, 2013, 5:16 pm

ImageThe day was cold. Just like all the other days that had passed during his time in Avanthal thus far. Yet he was getting used to it, and twas a good thing that he was. Despite the change in climate that he would face upon the transition from Taldera to Kalea, it would still be less than warm as the fields of Cyphrus. As the old saying went: what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

He laughed, light and silent, as he moved through the streets. For once he had not taken the darkness of the shadows that lined the alleys or the sides of buildings. No, this day he strode tall and proud for all of Avanthal to see. However this was mostly due to the fact that he had an meeting Svasra. Upon that thought he found a warmth enter his mind. Those meetings-as far and few and in between as they were-had so far been the most delightful of occurrences during his stay thus far. Aside from Svasra's company, he was forced to find conversation with the shadows-who despite warming up to him, had remained as cold and reclusive as the region they inhabited. There was also of course Snowfall, but the frostmarch was not much of a conversationalist. Still he had taken a few rides through the surrounding areas in hopes of better understanding the region. The one thing he was deadly sure of was that it was a landscape that did not forgive mistakes.

Still he had managed to find a sort of pleasure from the seclusion that he felt in the frozen north of Avanthal. He had found himself praying increasingly more often. Something which astounded him. Striding across the snow he made his way to the stables where his horse, among many others was stabled. He was looking forward to the ride, for it had been a few days since he had last taken out Snowfall, and he was sure that the frostmarch would enjoy the exercise.

He had left early on purpose, so that this time we would arrive early, and surprise Svasra-despite her wish for him to halt his more devious nature. However he doubted that would happen anytime soon. Still he found himself approaching the White Elk Stables without realizing that the journey to them had passed him by. It was strange because up to now he had found himself taking in the scenery and the whispers of shadows pretty much every time.

Neighing filled his ears, and he knew then that he had arrived. The stables sprawled out before him. Horses were scattered about in various stalls, and stable hands went to and fro, dealing with their various tasks. He managed to find his tack and saddles and saddlebags and then headed for Snowfall's stall. He found his way to Snowfall's stall, and peered in over the stall door. Sure enough Snowfall loomed there, as if he had known that his master would be visiting him at this moment. He wondered how much intelligence the beast had, thinking back to the journey, and the intuition it had shown in the frozen landscape of Taldera. It was a matter to wonder over later.

He opened the stall doors, seeing a little feed still left scooped it in his hands, and brought it to Snowfall's mouth after setting down his gear. The frostmarch chomped away delightfully, and Dragul patted his sides. The horses skin was soft, the muscles strong and powerful, each breath even held its own bit of strength. Above all else though he marveled at the softness of the mane, and the enchanting pattern of the horses dappled skin. He admired that strength, that seemingly endless endurance. He leaned his head out of the stall and asked one of the passing stable hands for a brush, which he quickly produced and said "Just leave it in the stall when you're done and I'll come back for it".

With brush now in hand he began the familiar process of brushing the horse. He had done it several times since departing Riverfall, as well as ever since he owned the frostmarch. Time slipped past and he even began checking Snowfall's hooves, making sure that they were clean, which they were. Someone had cleaned them earlier it seemed.

Suddenly something caught his ears, a familiar sound, a voice. In front of the stall to his left he believed judging by the sound. He listened as someone spoke to their horse, and then he heard his name, and he knew that it could only be one person.

Remaining where he stood so that Svasra couldn't see him, and began gearing Snowfall up. He said loud enough for Svasra to hear "I'm not sure you'll have to wait long on that". He waited for her to look into his stall, or respond. He held a smile on his face, gladdened by the fact that he could still manage to maintain a mysterious air about himself.
Dragul
The night is not without watchful eyes

Words: 64627
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2013, 4:18 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Svasra on April 12th, 2013, 9:50 pm

"I'm not sure you'll have to wait long on that," came a deep and calm voice from the stall to her right. Svasra's hand unconsciously clenched on Tundra's mane, the horse reacting to her sudden nervousness with a nicker.
"Shh," Svasra soothed the young horse, stroking his nose reassuringly as she identified the source of such a sudden response. "Surprising as always, Dragul," she said smoothly, switching to Common to converse with the male Akalak. Frozen Tundra nosed Svasra once more, causing the Vantha to giggle lightly and call the attention of a groom to retrieve the tack she'd bought and had delivered here.

While waiting for it to arrive, Svasra walked over to where Dragul had his lovely Frostmarch. "How do you found such a beauty outside of Avanthal?" she asked, patting the nose of the stallion with a fond coo in Vantha. She stood back as Dragul saddled his companion, and smiled at the ease he hauled the gear around. She was still awkward with the amount of tack needed for her little Frozen Tundra, though Dragul had probably done this a million times coming all the way from Riverfall.

Leaving as a groom mentioned her tack had arrived, Svasra took a moment to remember what Lusina had taught her. "Bridle first, yes?" she asked, though Frozen Tundra just stamped a foot impatiently in any type of response. She smiled and then put the bit to Frozen Tundra's mouth, rubbing her finger over his lips to coax him to open them, slowly drawing the bit in, careful not to touch the rest of his teeth with it before settling it into the back of his mouth. "Between the incisors and the molars," she recited diligently. Drawing up the top strap, Svasra eased it over his ears, and ensured they were in comfortable place as he waved them around experimentally once she'd finished. "Alright, then we just have to tighten these a bit, alright?" she cooed, fiddling with the straps until she could comfortably fit a finger between the strap and his cheek but it wouldn't slip around too much. The dark stained leather looked positively wonderful against his pale coat!

Moving onto the saddle, Svasra let out a gentle huff as she lifted the saddle briefly to move it off the blanket. "For the love of Morwen, how do you carry all of this, Tundra?" she asked with a grunt, heaving the blanket over the withers and sliding it back a bit to ensure all the hairs ran in the right direction. "Feel good?" she asked, stroking the black fabric for a moment before moving off to collect the saddle. She gently placed the heavy object on Frozen Tundra's back, ensuring it wasn't too close to his rump, nor uncomfortably riding on his shoulders. She lowered the cinch and stirrups that were left on top of the saddle so they wouldn't ram against his side when she placed the saddle on his back. Grabbing the cinch, Svasra pulled it tight while watching Frozen Tundra's breathing in case he decided to play mischievous and hold his breath. Pulling it through the main loop to tighten it, then the D-loop to keep it out of the way, Svasra nodded to herself and looked at Frozen Tundra. "Breathing alright?" He snorted at her cheek. Laughing, Svasra put a bit of weight on the stirrup closest to her to ensure it wouldn't slip when she got on, but Frozen Tundra was good today and didn't hold his breath while she tightened the cinch, meaning the saddle stayed determinedly in place.

"Alrighty," Svasra said happily as she pat Frozen Tundra's nose. Standing back, she took an appreciative look at his new tack, all shiny and dark and new! "Don't you look beautiful," she said as she scratched the spot Frozen Tundra always liked, the space right where his mane ended between his perked ears. Leading him out by the reins, Svasra poked her head into Dragul's stall. "Ready to go? Doesn't Tundra look fantastic with new stuff!" she gushed, coaxing the Frostmarch in front of Dragul's stall so the Akalak could properly admire how amazing her horse looked!

As they reached the outside, Svasra happily looked over to her companion and put on her coat once more - she had to take it off in the heat of the stables. Placing a foot in the stirrup, Svasra got a firm hold on the pommel and the back of the saddle, pulling herself up smoothly as her other leg swung carefully over Tundra's back - but not too hard to smack into his side. She settled her other foot into the stirrup, pointing her feet downwards slightly so her heels could catch on the stirrup and prevent them from slipping out. The ground seemed quite far away from Tundra's back! Looking over to Dragul, Svasra grinned, though she was disappointed by the fact she still had to look up to him when he was mounted as naturally he needed a significantly larger horse to hold his bulk and gear. "Where to?"

EditJust adding in the legend for her language stuffs.

Note: "Svasra speaking Vani", "Svasra speaking Common"
Last edited by Svasra on April 23rd, 2013, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Dragul on April 16th, 2013, 3:44 pm

ImageIn the time that it had taken Svasra to both arrive in the stables and gear up her frostmarch, Dragul had managed to fit Snowfall and was preparing to lead him out so that he could be mounted. He did so in a single fluid motion that denoted all the traits of someone had grown up to the company of a horse. It was true after all, and he had slept more nights with the horse beside him than another creature. There was a kinship that he had always believed to exist between them, and he trusted Snowfall perhaps more than anyone else at the moment, aside from the shifting machinations of his Goddess, and Svasra he realized.

Remembering Svasra's question "I purchased Snowfall here when I was still young, a horse trader from up North in the regions a little further south of Avanthal had one left, and i couldn't help but admire all the traits that the horse possessed. He was unlike anything else i had seen-in regards to horse-that i had ever seen. While he may have lacked to speed of the horses of the plains of my homeland, he had a strength all his own that i couldn't ignore. We have been friends ever since, eh boy?" He said, to which the horse seemed to whinny in the affirmative.

He let Snowfall walk around a little, in order to stretch his muscles. He ran a hand along the horses neck, gentle and reassuring. He felt the strength of the lungs as his hand got closer to the chest. It was power. He made everything was tight and could support him, and then got off to do a once over just for good measure. Noting that everything was good to go he remounted with the same fluid ease, and turned Snowfall along side Tundra. It was true, Svasra's horse did look rather vibrant. However he had never been one for adorning his horse. No he preferred the beauty that the horse contained within its own being, but he decided a little lie wouldn't hurt. "Tundra does look lively, and vibrant." He wondered if the girl's innocence and youth would prove to create more problems than he had imagined when they were out there in the wilds.

"I am ready to go.." he said as he once more checked his gear, all of it, including his hidden weapons "though I have no idea where to go, and I figured since you were more familiar with this area of the world that perhaps you could lead us to some points of interest."

He urged Snowfall onward just a little so that as they contemplated their destination they would at least allow their horses to move. He continued to rub a hand along Snowfall's neck with a friendly sort of affection. Snowfall seemed content.
Dragul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Svasra on April 23rd, 2013, 6:59 am

While Dragul fussed over his horse, Svasra leaned on the pommel of the saddle, running absent fingers through Tundra's mane. The stallion snorted as he tossed it out of her grasp, mischievous as his neck swung to the side. "Oh aren't you pleased with yourself," Svasra said with a grin, reaching to tease the mane once more, though Tundra stayed still under her touch now. The Akalak answered a short time after, seeming to check the tightness of everything,
"I purchased Snowfall here when I was still young ..." Watching Dragul as he worked with effortless efficiency, Svasra admired the companionship between the two. She could only hope Tundra and herself would get to that level of familiarity. "We have been friends ever since, eh boy?" Svasra wondered how long it took to establish the bond that was so obvious between them. Additionally, she wondered just how old Dragul was. How long did Akalak live? How long would Snowfall?

Looking at Frozen Tundra, he had a simple praise to offer, though Svasra positively glowed. Since she'd left the saddlebags with Frostfawn Hold until her return, his tack was simple and without the bulky baggage.
"He is such beautiful horse with no tack even, the darker tack complements his natural looks," Svasra said happily, patting Frozen Tundra's neck where he whinnied slightly, tossing his head. "I think he is ready to go also," she added with a slight laugh.

Squeezing lightly on Frozen Tundra's side, she felt a small thrill of delight when the horse responded, beginning to walk forwards. Hands light on the reins, Svasra looked to Dragul to ensure he began as well. "Well, first I guess we ... will make our way towards Icewall Gates," she chimed happily, settling her bottom into the saddle to move with the sway of Tundra and not bump awkwardly against the saddle. Svasra guided Tundra around a few large mounds of snow as she spoke, "If we stay on the paths, ah, between the Holds, then the space will be big enough? Um, wide enough to walk beside each other. Once you enter area around Hold, you are ... getting close together." Quirking a smile, Svasra pressed lightly once more on Tundra's soft, clucking her tongue as she did so. Frozen Tundra's ears flicked in mild curiosity of the noise before breaking his stride into an easy trot.

Riding it silence, Svasra recalled her lesson with Lusina, keeping her wise words in mind as she adjusted to the pace of her horse. Frozen Tundra had a fairly smooth gait, and his legs eagerly ate at the distance between them and the Gates. They passed through a couple chimes later, waving at the Guards on duty. The dire polar bears barely spared them more than a dip of their heads, and Frozen Tundra seemed comfortable in their presence. She wondered if foreign horses shied from entering the gates with the large bears looming beside them.

"After we ride we should stop at Tasty Flakes, have you been? It is simply delicious!" Svasra commented as they left the protection of Avanthal's Icewall, venturing into the deeper drifts that Frozen Tundra slowed down to properly navigate. The slender horse picked his way through the snowdrifts, and Svasra guided him around ones that seemed a bit too large, keeping their pace moderate and easy. "There is not much to see out here though, mostly just snow, snow, and more snow," Svasra added as they went. "You know that from coming up, yes? ... Will you tell me of your journey?"

Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Dragul on April 23rd, 2013, 3:36 pm

ImageSlowly their horses trotted along through the paths and snow, as they passed through the Icewall Gates. The polar bears nodding lightly in minor acknowledgment. He wondered what it would be like to watch those powerful creatures in action, when real danger was afoot. He imagined a bloodshed.

Svasra seemed delighted by their excursion and he was glad for that, less work towards convincing her that they should journey to together. Yet he still wondered why he wished to. He believed that there was no coincidence in this instance. They had met by some guiding hand, be it fate, be it Akajia. The question that burned deeper in his thoughts was, to what end? What purpose did pairing them together serve? He doubted the answer would come to him of his own investigating, but he hoped that Akajia would reveal the plan to him in time.

Exiting the gate, Svasra offered that they go to a place he had never been to, on the return. It sounded well enough, something of a food place he imagined, "Sure, sounds like a plan".

She was right of course, there was nothing but snow for miles on end in this region of the world, but there were always things to see, geographical wonders and what not. Then she wondered about his journey which had been uneventful for the most part, save for a few close calls, and loneliness. He contemplated how much to tell her. "Indeed it be not much but snow, but perhaps there are some geographical wonders or places like such that we could journey, otherwise simply lead onward and we will journey for a time before making our return. In return for your guidance I will tell you of my journey".

With that he waited for her to find her way, and followed alongside her, as he put together the recent journey in his head. Perhaps one of his motivations to journey with this woman was for her companionship. The loneliness of the road had not been cruel, but he had missed companionship after it, and Svasra was, refreshing to say the least.

After a few moments of silence "I departed from Riverfall at the beginning of Fall, and arrived here around the middle of Winter, perhaps a little later. I journeyed along the coast for the most part, journeying through Sylira, and avoiding Syliras. At first I had thought to journey across the waters to Faylndar, and then through Kalea, but the mountains were not something i was prepared to endeavor through, not with Snowfall anyways. Then I stayed to the coast for the most part of my way into Taldera until I hit Karjin, and from there I headed North to Avanthal. That was the hardest part for me. I was not familiar to such cold a climate or the weather that came with it. By then Winter had rolled in. I managed, and Snowfall seemed more content than I was, and he showed me the way better than I could have hoped. That is the gist of it. I mean there was an aching sense of loneliness that pervaded, even with Snowfall's stellar conversation skills.." he patted the side of Snowfall's neck, to which the horse snorted something that sounded like laughter "and as thus the journey seemed longer than it actually was. I kept clear of most danger, some by skill, and some by luck. I prayed often, more often than I could have imagined I would have." He trailed off there. Thinking about just how long it had been since he'd left home. Since he'd left everything behind him.

"Does that satisfy you, or is there something more you'd like to know?"
Dragul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Svasra on April 26th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Dragul, in his ever thoughtful nature, made her wait a few chimes before offering a response to soothe her mild impatience. "Indeed it be not much but snow, but perhaps there are some geographical wonders or places like such that we could journey, otherwise simply lead onward and we will journey for a time before making our return. In return for your guidance I will tell you of my journey." Svasra took a long moment just to puzzle out what he spoke of, his lengthy words beyond her meager years of practice.
"Geographical?" she muttered, the word twisting oddly on her tongue. She dismissed it though as she took the effort to guide them away from Avanthal, but she couldn't really think of what to show him out here.

The two plodded along in silence while Dragul collected his journey, and Svasra nudged her horse into a light trot. She often glanced behind her to ensure Avanthal was still within sight, as she knew it was easy to lose their way without the tall city to guide them in direction.

Dragul began evenly, his deep tones rumbling warmly in Svasra's ear as she listened attentively. "I departed from Riverfall at the beginning of Fall ..." He spoke of the path he traveled, taking no sea fare and simply walking on and on. How did he survive for so long alone? How did he eat, and his horse, and did he just sleep in a tent? Could this tall man even fit in a tent?! Svasra's obvious curiosity was present on her youthful face, though she stifled questions as he continued. " ... I headed North to Avanthal. That was the hardest part for me. I was not familiar to such cold a climate or the weather that came with it. By then Winter had rolled in ..." Svasra subconsciously guided Frozen Tundra around a mound of snow, and slowed him down back to a walk. When she felt he was properly worked down from the brisker pace before, Svasra stopped him and waited as Dragul finished, " ... even with Snowfall's stellar conversation skills." Svasra had to laugh, and it seemed Snowfall was amused by the comment as well, as the stallion snorted. "I kept clear of most danger, some by skill, and some by luck. I prayed often, more often than I could have imagined I would have," he finished.

Svasra sat back in the saddle as she stared up at the Akalak. He had come a long way, and it seemed the worse trial was the loneliness he had to endure through the problems he faced. She couldn't believe she had considered leaving alone. Svasra gazed around herself, Avanthal distant - though still obvious present in the flat landscape - behind her. She would have lasted a night before turning around. She could understand why Dragul nudged her in the direction of companionship for this upcoming journey. They both needed it. Smiling, Svasra nodded and slipped off Frozen Tundra onto the ground. Flopping onto her back, the woman began making a snow angel.

"Does that satisfy you, or is there something more you'd like to know?"

Svasra looked to her companion and shrugged. "I am not sure what will satisfy me. Or even what need to be satisfied." Leaving it all behind ... it didn't scare her anymore. Somewhere along the line she'd come to terms with the fact she had to leave. She had to see the rest of the world before she could accept a small position as a meek storyteller in the Arvintas of the Vantha. There had to be more to life than what lay before her. There had to be adventure.

"If we left ... when would you like to leave?" she asked, sitting up and carefully plucking herself out of the snow to look at the imprint. "It is almost the end of Winter, and weather becomes colder here .... and warmer other places." Spring was coming. It was almost time to go. But when? In the middle of Spring? At the beginning to ensure she reached her destination before the end of it? What was her destination after Lhavit? There were so many question that she never considered, and didn't know how to properly answer. She wondered if that would be the fun of her travels, making it up simply as she went along.

Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Dragul on April 27th, 2013, 5:31 am

ImageSatisfaction. That was a feeling he could tap into by simply stirring up old memories of shifting about shadowy streets in Riverfall. Yet he wondered what it was exactly that Svasra wanted or needed from this journey, what was it that was missing in her life. It was a secret he found he had a burning desire to obtain. Yet, he too wondered about the same issue within himself. What was it that he was trying to gain by enlisting in the service of a Goddess, and what was the chord that she had struck within him those many days ago, now a season, almost two.

He had no inclination to join her in the snow, he could not bear the chill like Svasra could, he did not have Morwen's gift. The frivolities while not unwelcome, were at the moment, lost on him. He removed himself from Snowfall, and fed the horse with a little feed he had stored in a pouch. He then proceeded to rub the horse tenderly, a type of thanks which Snowfall had responded to warmly over the years.

Svasra seemed preoccupied by something, it flickered across her face in an expression of something like realization, acceptance, and irritation. He smiled, the lass was slowly making her decision, and perhaps just in time. She even said we, which was progress true enough. She asked him when there departure would be, hypothetically. He had wondered that himself for some time now, with or without Svasra. He had intended to leave no more than a week after Spring's arrival, a fortnight at the latest if circumstances required it.

"I suppose anywhere within a week after Spring arrives, perhaps a little longer if circumstances required it of me to postpone for a time. When did you intend on departing?"

He stood there beside Snowfall, his arms crossed over his chest, muscles exposed to the chill air. His eyes watched with a friendly tenderness at the otherwise whimsical scene before him. Yet they contained a steely edge to them, always watching, always alert. Something was plaguing her thoughts, something that would hinder and harm her on her journey, companion or not.

"What plagues your thoughts lass? For it is never good to depart on a journey such as the one you intend with confusion ripe upon the vines of your thought"
Dragul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Svasra on May 18th, 2013, 3:28 am

Settling on the ground, Svasra had to it admit it was quite disconcerting to peer up at her friend - could she call him such? - when she was tiny below him. He towered over her, muscles and all, a dark blue in the sparkling sunlight. Collecting her thoughts, Svasra conceded to his input with a small inclination of her head, thinking on it. "We ... ah, travel by horse? Why not ... um, on waters? Boats?" she inquired, as such was her planned mode of travel - she was going alone, after all. "It is faster," she paused before tilting a small smile at the man and adding, "... and safer. Not that I, ah, ... think you weak, though, there is no reason to ... do foolish. Ah, be foolish."

Falling silent, Svasra wondered if ships could be paid to take her where she wanted to go. That would a question for a Coolwater, definitely. She frowned at the snow, finding yet another question that had to answered. There was so much to do, and so little time to do it all. Or maybe there was a lot of time and she was rushing and would miss something important? There was just ... leaving a birthplace was definitely difficult.

"What plagues your thoughts, lass? For it is never good to depart on a journey such as the one you intend with confusion ripe upon the vines of your thought," intoned Dragul, his deep tone drawing Svasra's attention to him. She blinked a couple times as her eyes whirled a color or two before she shrugged lightly.
"There ... there is so much to be done. And I felt, um, feel, like I am really not ... prepared to leave." She huffed and folded her arms, standing up and re-mounting Frozen Tundra with a light leap. Settling in the saddle she looked over to Dragul. "Tell me, Dragul .... how do-ed, ah, did, you ... leave it all behind? Leave your home, and parents, and friends? Especially alone!"

Dragul was a tall blue Akalak. Strong, proud, and every bit mysterious as he was large. Yet, Svasra didn't feel inferior, or weak, or scared in his obvious presence. It felt secure, and even now, vaguely familiar. She didn't really know why constantly held back accepting his offer of joining their paths, whether it from wariness or otherwise she didn't really know. Svasra knew she was not ready to agree to such terms just yet though, and liked the small outings he indulged her in. Appreciating the patience he expressed, Svasra smiled at him. Maybe, he just really wanted someone to travel with this time ...

Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Confronting the Obvious

Postby Dragul on May 18th, 2013, 5:12 am

He scratched his chin, wondering just how far they could get traveling by boat. This far north he wasn't sure, and even at best he imagined that they would only be able to get halfway to their intended destination. Traveling by boat was not his usual mode of travel, and in fact he had journeyed thus far solely on horseback and walking occasionally. He hadn't the money to take boats as often as he perhaps would have been able to on his journey. His thoughts went to his supply of currency. "I would not doubt that boats will take you far, but it is hard to say just how far this far north. I am not a frequenter of ships, so alas i cannot tell you more than that."

Dragul read the conflict still present in her thoughts from the look on her face, but Svasra seemed somewhat at ease. Perhaps she was finally working her way through her issues. What she voiced as her concern was nothing less than what he had expected. He mused over her question, and realized something. There, as she lay, looking slightly up at him no longer as an inquisitive child, but as a young woman looking for answers, he smiled. "How indeed?"

"I have often wondered how it was I packed up camp and left, without another thought to the contrary. However, to say it in such a fashion would be a bit further from the truth,..." he thought back to that day, that departure from all he'd known "for i did not leave without reservations. No, the streets passed me by, and i wondered with each passing why i was leaving? To what end would i arrive? How would i manage along the way?" he paused, in part for dramatic effect.

"It was difficult, and conflicting i will admit. But, in the end i simply set off. There was not that much too leave behind. No family. No friends. The home i knew and enjoyed would still be there if i chose to return. I like to think that i saw it as an opportunity. Perhaps to see the world, and satisfy some urge of wanderlust. Perhaps she was more persuasive than i had thought. There was potential out in the world beyond. Wonder. Amazement. Mysteries. Perhaps even..." he trailed off, amazed how close he was to admitting it. Admitting something that he had yet to decipher if his goddess knew or not. To a lass no less, whom he had known for a while, but long enough to warrant trust from certain people.

"a new beginning. A friend. A companion. The darkness and shadows are comforting, and for me that will never change. However, loneliness is something i dread, perhaps now more than ever."

His monologue ended there, and following his finish he felt something that had been absent before. A warmth that radiated within him. It was outlined by the cold that lingered all around him. A cold which was colder now than before.
Dragul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next