Mentorship program

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Mentorship program

Postby Ethen Calden on March 25th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Hello everyone, over my short time here on Mizahar. I found there's not a mentor program to help newbies, I know that there's a lot of help but for some reason newbies still can't find their feet on the ground yet. I hope that the mentor program also make new friendships, such the one I have with another user. I hope to take this idea with a open mind.

Thank you for your time
Ethen Calden
Squire

Words: 26362
Joined roleplay: March 6th, 2013, 3:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Mentorship program

Postby Svasra on March 25th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Ethen,

Interesting idea, to actually pair newbies with older users to help them get them set up. Here is my opinion on it:

New people on the site are encouraged to find their way around on their own, not only so they learn how to find things in the lore, message others, and generally learn how to use the site, but also so they know they can figure it out. What I mean is, if you assign a new RPer to come to a certain 'mentor' with questions, likely, they are the first people they will turn to. Which is fantastic, until they're messaging their 'mentor' about everything, instead of first trying it out for themselves. Also, one person might not always be right.

Of course we could go with the option of actually selecting who should be mentors, who shouldn't be, whatnot, but suddenly you have an idea issue of should you get mentors to apply? Should they just be STs? STs have enough of their plates though, what now? How long should you be on the site before becoming a mentor? What should be prerequisite knowledge? Would it mentors on specific area, like see this mentor for threading, this one of Avanthal, this one for Drykas, or just one who should know the basics of everything? Specific mentors on certain subjects … isn’t that almost the same as Domain Storytellers and the lore of the region?

Though mentorship is an interesting idea, I feel like having new users come to chat and ask a question, if they need to, is better than personally assigning a single person to watch out for a single new user. That way, they can have multiple opinions, make multiple friends, and get politely directed on how to use the interface if it was a question they should be able to find the answer for themselves. Also, generally, they won't have to wait ages for a response, as chat is an instantaneous flow of people.
Also, with mentoring, what if they wish to thread with their mentor? Seeing as generally people who have PCs in an area will know that area better than places where they don't have PCs, it would make sense to have a mentor in the same region as their 'apprentice' persay. What if they only want to thread with their mentor because they weren't forced into interaction during chat, and now have no idea who all these other people are? Obviously this is a huge extreme that would probably never happen, but I do admit concern about the prospect of a 'clingy' apprentice.

New users who cannot find their feet on the ground, I feel, should reach out and ask for more help, read more lore, and settle into just how vast Mizahar is. The new RPers who try to sum up Mizahar in a sentence are the ones who will get confused, lost, and will not be able to keep up with the ever-changing and astounding world that is Mizahar.

In my opinion, I believe Mizahar is a mentorship program within itself. We have moderators willing to answer any questions, multiple users more than happy to look over a CS, clarify the lore, give links, and much else. Storytellers grade according to details, and effort, and offer comments and tips at the end of every thread you make. For me, Mizahar is all about growing as a writer, and RPer, and personally mentors you in every aspect. Getting set up can be a bit difficult, but that is what everyone is here for! Each and every one of us was new at some point, had horrid grammar, and couldn't spell for our lives. Mizahar isn't something that one mentor can teach you. The entire point is to expand and learn it for yourself, find the city you want to live in, not be directed towards one, find people you can RP with, not be pushed into a Open thread to 'give it a whirl', and find a story you want to tell, one you made, and can be proud of. Mizahar is all geared towards getting you there.

Yes, mentoring can be good in the sense of getting up a Character Sheet, and understanding how threads work. Yet again, though, I point towards Chat with a bunch of ridiculously helpful members, towards the lore that explicitly outlines everything, and towards the colored names that mark our wonderful Storytellers should anything still not be clear.

Then again, that is just my opinion. I hope you will look at this with an open mind as well. C:
Svasra
Sit by the fire, and listen to a legend.

Words: 212637
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes