[Flashback] I Dare You [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Emory Ruin on June 19th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Timestamp AV 492 [four years ago]
Purpose: Mostly for Riders, a flying exercise

The Edge of the World is not a scary thing to behold. It’s frightening. Why then, did seventeen-year old Emory stand just mere inches away from the edge of the plummeting cliff? A stupid dare.

You don’t have to jump mused the voice within her stubborn skull.
It was Raisia, her mount. Raisia always knew what to say in order to calm Emory’s crushing nerves. Nonetheless, it did not sway her from what she was about to do.

Raisia stiffened her perching pose and good-naturedly craned her neck towards the sun. I will catch you, but allow me to repeat myself, you do not have to jump.

Emory smiled at Raisia and shook her head. The words of her beast were somewhat mystical to those who did not understand Nori, the clicking language of the birds. To her they flowed together like water over a pebbly stream.
Raisia screeched. Suit yourself, Emory translated..

To explain Emory’s delusional quest, one must flashback two hours prior to the afternoon meal. A busy drudge had been passing her by, a load of fish slung over his back when she overheard the conversation spread around a handful of male riders all sitting around a table enjoying a hearty drink.

Although she scarcely ever conversed with any of the other riders, they all knew her name because of her father’s status. She knew their faces and their ranks, though that did not make them acquainted in any particular way. They trained together occasionally, and hunted the great fish of the sea. That was all.

Emory had just come in from a very competitive archery lesson and was seeking something cool to relieve her fatigue when she stumbled upon a rider retelling something apparently important to him but not very impressive [it seemed] to his cohorts.

A familiar face animatedly shouted to his companions. “I tell you I was this far from the ground when Soka snatched me back into the air!” The man slapped his two hands together as if to emphasize how his fall might have ended.

“You lie, you would have been dead long before getting that close to the ground you imp.” The second man patted the shoulder of the first man but shook his head to let his neighbor know he was not believed. “You got to have real guts to go jumpin’ off The Edge of the World,” he paused a moment and then continued, “Guts you don’t have.”

The first man glared at the second, “I got all sorts of guts! I’m a rider aren’t I?”

Chuckles emerged from his fellow mates.

“That doesn’t exactly make you brave,” corrected the second man, “just…special.”

The first man snorted and Emory began to turn away for she had been given a glass of wine.

“Take Emory for example,” smiled the second man, now turning around and looking her in the eyes.

Emory choked on her partially swallowed beverage. She immediately wished to be elsewhere, anywhere. Battles axe, she silently swore, For loves of the gods, please leave me alone.

But the man could not read Emory’s thoughts and continued. “You see, this young lady is a rider, and you don’t see her jumping off the Edge of the World.”

“Damn right,” shot back Emory, “maybe that’s because I don’t need a crowd to prove that I’ve got the nerve.”

“She’s got nerve alright,” muttered the first man.

“Shut up,” snapped the second man, “so girlie, you think you have backbone? Let’s see you try. This evening, right before sunset.”

“I believe I said I don’t need a crowd to prove to anyone that I can do it,” replied Emory as coolly as she could, not quite believing that she had even spoken up in the first place. It was entirely out of character, yet pride surpassed her insecurities resulting in the challenge emitted involuntarily from Emory’s lips.

“Sounds like you’re backin’ down, sweetie. That’s alright, we don’t expect a little thing like you to have it in you anyway.”

“I’ll be there,” she hissed before turning to leave. Not…. she moaned, leaving the communal kitchens.

Emory arrived an hour before the decided time. Raisia had not objected to the proposal, other than the fact she found the entire thing to be unconstructive in every way.

Would you like to practice? inquired Raisia.

No, replied Emory. I may not ever do it again if I jump this once.
Raisia fluttered her wings agitated. Did you at least let Fen know where you were going?

Of course, sent Emory, I never go off without telling him where I am. He gets all worked up when I do that.

Perhaps that’s because you are prone to accidents and danger.

Am not, Emory stubbornly returned.

Then explain to me why you are about to jump off a cliff?

Though the bird had a point, but Emory had an answer. Because I was dared.
[/color]
Last edited by Emory Ruin on June 20th, 2010, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emory Ruin
I'll Light The World in Fiery Peril

Words: 27338
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Amon on June 20th, 2010, 4:16 am

oocHope you don't mind some Amon action! ^^

There was a fine line between wanting to escape the sudden overwhelming feeling of being caved in all at once, and sight-seeing. To Amon, there was a possibility it could be both. There were only two times in his life he had ever wandered out onto the Edge of the World. The first was after he had bonded with his faithful and loving Sakima at the age of 13; completely amazed and mesmerized by the glow of his opalescent feathers under the piercing light of the sun on their first flight, and the second being today, now 22. There was that familiar urge for adrenaline coursing through him, and the temptation was far too difficult to overcome.

There was also the fact that he had been one of the spectators watching the boys take advantage of and annoy the young woman named Emory. He, of course, knew her name, but never once had he bothered to gather his wits together and introduce himself to her. Amon was usually preoccupied with his rambunctious friends, and his usually quiet and relaxed Wind Eagle often murmured soft words of encouragement to him, egging him on for more social interactions.

Here he walked now, along the craggy cliffs overlooking the expanse of land below, with a quiver strung behind his back and a bow gripped tightly in one hand, although he wasn’t planning on hunting or chasing anything at all today. Perhaps it was more of a precaution for him.

You get paranoid, that’s all. Sakima piped in, as enormously large wings overshadowed the small frame of the young man.

I’m not paranoid, it’s more for comfort. I’m used to it in my hand. He retorted, his pace quick and efficient.

Keep telling yourself that~

Amon rolled his eyes at the eagle, almost about to send a silly joke his way when his eyes fell on fiery red hair blowing restlessly in the wind. It was a woman.

A pause. No, it couldn’t be…

I believe it is!

Had Emory really given in to the insensitive remarks of the boys that day? How foolish can a girl be? Amon shook his head almost angrily, and approached the other rider swiftly, almost effortlessly. He placed a hand on her shoulder and turned her around to face him, his eyes, despite the cold glare he gave her, failed to conceal the concern he held for her.

“What do you think you’re doing?” He barked, looking over her shoulder and down at the valley below as if a hostile creature would suddenly reveal itself and assault them. “Are you out of your mind? Come here.” With that said, he pulled Emory further away from the corner of the cliff, to a far more secure patch of land. “Emory, right? Did you get your ass bitten by a fire snake? Unless you‘re serious, then by all means, prove it to me and jump off that cliff.”

Regardless of his socialite attitude towards the rest of his community, he couldn't help but feel amazed this girl really wanted to prove herself, as if the fact alone that she stood up to the boys didn't already reveal her inner strength.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Words: 68449
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Emory Ruin on June 20th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Emory, soothed Raisia, I’ve seen young riders jump from various cliffs and into water, she paused, but jumping off the Edge of the World is a child’s dare.

Emory’s eyes began to water but not overflow. Why did you let me accept their challenge if you were just going to persuade me not to go through with it? Now they will think of me a coward.

Raisia stiffened, But you’ll be alive. I do not control you, Fledgling, and you must learn to make your own mistakes without me there to help you make the [b]right one.

Emory sighed and took in the site before her hopeful eyes. A thought momentarily struck her, So you’ve never seen anyone jump from the Edge of the World?

Raisia sighed in her own bird-like fashion. No, Fledging, seeing as to where Emory’s thoughts were seeping she added, But many of the older riders before you and those before you, have. I’m sure of it.
Well da..

Someone’s coming, warned Raisia.

Emory would not, [nor could she] turn to face her opponent. Why had he come early or alone, she could not grasp. Perhaps it was the first second man there to tell her that they were all just joking and she could go home. But that’s not what happened.

“What do you think you are doing?” bellowed an unfamiliar voice.

Emory was thrust around to meet a recognizable face to match the alien voice. She had no time to patch a name to her capture, for her had more to say.
“Are you out of your mind? Emory, right?”

He then wished to know whether or not her ass had been bitten by a fire-snake for wanting to jump the cliff. Yet she desired to know whether you or not his ass had been bitten too for startling her in an attempt jump off the cliff. When he asked her to then prove to him that she was insane, Emory halfway wished to jump just to shock him. She did not.

“I am in perfect condition, thank you for your concern,[/i] she snapped. She could see that he didn’t believe her and was even angry with her. Why were the riders always treating her like a child? Seventeen is not so young, is it?

Maneuvering away from him she quickly demanded, “Who are you? And for the gods sake, why did you know I was going be here? Did they send you to mock me?”

Raisia stepped in before Emory could continue rampaging against the rider. “Perhaps you should allow him a moment to speak."

Emory silenced herself, waiting.
Emory Ruin
I'll Light The World in Fiery Peril

Words: 27338
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Amon on June 20th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Amon quickly retracted his arm away from Emory, eyeing her almost as if she would lash out and bite him for all the wonder it would do for her. “You’re rather fiesty for someone who was just about to do jump off a cliff.” Clear blue eyes inspected her closely, sizing her up, and smirking slightly from her reaction to him.

“Such animosity. Don’t you think you’re being a little rash?” He retorted, quirking a brow at her hostility.

Oh just let her throw herself off a cliff, why do you bother? Sakima said, having landed on a ledge nearby with a low thud.

Because I’m too nice for my own good, replied Amon.

Of that, this is true.

And so when Emory directed the question of why he was here, he paused. So she believed him to be one of the boys encouraging her death jump? He rolled his eyes at the notion. “No, I came here of my own free will. I won’t stoop so low as to dare someone to do this,” he gestured toward the cliff practically kissing the sky, “nor would I come here to mock someone who had enough courage to even attempt it.” He sighed, fiddling with the strap across his chest. “The name’s Amon, and this here is the ever loveable Sakima. We came here for a bit of sight-seeing. Some fresh air never hurt anyone, no?”

He moved past her, staring down at the sight below, and adjusted the gray katinu he wore in response to the chilling wind that struck his cheeks. “It’s breathtakingly beautiful, so I suppose it would be a fitting grave for someone bent on ending their life.” He looked back at her and winked. “There’s far more excitement to be had on the back of your Wind Eagle. Let the boys come if they want, you don’t need to give in to them to show your strength. I can see it already.” Without it being apparent to himself, he was becoming far more brotherly in his tone of voice, even if his attention went back to the horizon beyond.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Words: 68449
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets