PM to join A Favour For A Favour [Alyx]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

A Favour For A Favour [Alyx]

Postby Zandelia on March 30th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Spring 17th, 513 AV – The Flaxen District

The Eastern Quarter looked the same as it always did to her gaze, nothing in Nyka ever really changed for the most part. It was its most admirable positive trait and its worst damned enemy as far as she was concerned. It brought stability, prosperity and a sense of belonging – these were things not found in abundance anywhere else she had visited, not truly. Still she could not help but wonder what would happen to the city if a crisis tore through it, whatever that might have been. Could it have reacted properly? Oh, she played with such scenario’s frequently, often planned triggering such an event herself and for her own gain. Still, if she ever did gain control of a portion of Nyka she would have to know how to defend it and she could see little in the way of such abilities so far.

They all rely upon the Monks, take that away from them and they have…nothing. Few can fight, none have seen true brutality. It’s a wonder they’re even civilized at all! she chuckled to herself internally as she sat upon a bench and watched the bustle of trading that was the bulk of the Flaxen District.

It was strange to her, thinking such things as she sat and peacefully passed her gaze over the various ritual scrawling and symbolism scattered here and there on the stone walls of the buildings that were not obscured by the bodies of sweaty stall vendors. It was very much the beating heart of the Order of the Heavy Coffers – not a single Laat went astray and they all came from – and returned to – the vault of the Monastic Order in the East. The citizens here were friendlier than most she knew, that had not changed in te years she had been away and it presented her with an opportunity she had not had the resources to try on her last visitation 6 years prior.

“Advantage indeed, though not the conventional sense” she muttered to herself.

She was awaiting someone, anyone of a more…illicit nature. Her scheme had been a simple one, to spread rumour and whsipers thorugh the ranks of the foreigners within the Safe Haven Hostel that someone wished to meet with those possessed of ‘sticky fingers’ as it were. It was a whisper that she kenw would carry far and it had ripped thorugh those assembled for their daily rationgs like fire upon dry grass. Money was scarce and travel difficult without the coin – she had rpesented those who dared with an opportunity and all she had to do was sit upon a bench.

Not an overly bad deal. There is no danger to it, none would let it slip to Vysia for fear of impalement and so…I am safe. For now. We shall see what happens if someone shows up she mused as she tried to pick targets from the crowd.

Her game was a simple one – she needed others to owe her before she could take advantage of favours owed. It was an equation known the world over but decidedly impossible in Nyka. No, she needed to do something for them without them even knowing and that was where the larceny came into play. She would have a few things stolen from a few merchants, enough to be thankful when returned. Now all she needed to do was wait.

“Hope they aren’t too bloody long at it, I haven’t got all day after all” she stated under her breath as the frustration began to settle in a little.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alyxandyr Finn on March 31st, 2013, 1:41 am

He had been watching across her for the better part of a half an hour. He took a final swig of the wineskin he'd recently pilfered on his way back to his room and tossed it on a nearby counter. He'd stuck to the shadows, skulking. Well, most official underworld representatives prefer the more politically correct term of 'prowling', Alyx was not afraid to call it what it was. He was cowering, watching her, debating just how many kinds of petched this deal could make him. Earlier that day he'd heard whispers through the establishment. Many, many patrons were talking about it. Travelers loved some good local gossip, and this definitely counted. If she were legit, this could be a prime business opportunity. If she were not, however, he could be walking into the worst mistake of his life, which would no doubt shorten considerably by the encounter, be it by law enforcement or a dishonest business partner.

Alyx had dealt with the dishonest types before, and to be frank, though she seemed sneaky, she didn't seem like the type who'd kill a partner. She was one looking to build bridges, not burn them, that much seemed obvious as she waited quietly on her bench. Eventually he sighed, doing one last double-check of the exits, before slipping through the din to appear, quite suddenly, on the bench next to her. He was not a stealth expert, but he was an expert at blending into a crowd, getting lost in shadows, or looking forgettable. That's what prowling was really all about. It was the art of being utterly and completely unnoticed. Not disappearing, that was the realm of stealth. His was a different kind. It's more like becoming that person in the corner of your eye that you pay no mind to even when he's right in front of you. As he sat, he remained silent for a long moment before turning to look at her once more. He did not hide the look he gave her; there was no disguising the blatant examination. He was not talentless, he just didn't give a petch if she caught on or not.

Just exiting the prime of her life but not yet hitting middle-age, the woman was either late twenties or very early thirties. Tall for a woman she was five and three-quarters feet, but her figure was lithe, she couldn't for the life of her even approach the buck-fifty mark on weight. Aside from the battle scar that marred her face she easily fell into the category of pretty, though the blemish kept her from the 'beautiful' category. She looked firm but curved, which was the perfect combination for his taste. Her one good green eye glimmered with an impatient intelligence. She was someone looking to go somewhere fast, and was willing to cut corners. That could be dangerous, but it also afforded many opportunities. And she was a blonde. After redheads, blondes were his single favorite color of hair. Not that any specific color made a person un-petchable, but it was just a matter of preference.

As he finished looking at her with suggestive eyes he took a breath. Business before pleasure. It was how one got paid, and coin was something he could most definitely use right now.

"As you no doubt made sure, the halls are quite abuzz with your offer," he started, his nasally tenor not quite grating, but hardly fully pleasant, either. "And a lot of people have been staring at this bench wondering what kind of being would sit down to talk it out with you." The dagger he idly held picking at the nails on his other hand motioned towards the patrons in the room, many of whom looked away surreptitiously the moment he made eye contact and motioned. "Just so happens I'm that kind of stupid...but what you say sure as Yshul's pockets better be worth my time, after making such a public display of myself. I'm not looking to offend you, but you take a pretty massive risk calling out someone with my particular skillset. If all of your dealings are approached with this kind of haste, you might be taking unnecessary risks, which is bad for business." His dark eyes rose to stare at hers pretty specifically, almost like he was looking for something specific.

"Prove to me that you're not sloppy." He said the word 'sloppy' very slowly and with obvious enunciation, much like a two-silver brothelmaid would--he'd know, he'd heard them say it many times in his rather extensive experience with brothels.
~*~
Apologies to those I am currently Threading with. Threading may come slowly, because my muse for Miza has recently been strangled by some of the staff. Please bare with me, I don't plan on leaving...I just don't have a lot of stomach for the game at the moment, so I have to move slowly.
~*~
Alyxandyr Finn
Pervin' Ermine

Words: 11709
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2009, 3:54 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Zandelia on March 31st, 2013, 11:04 pm

Her peripheral vision told Zandelia everything that she needed to know about the new arrival. His clothing was decidedly not that of a Nykan and thus he was a foreigner of some sort – a good first indication that her suggestions had interested someone at the very least. He looked to be upon a height with herself though he lacked much in the way of physical shape and form, he was clearly then not a warrior. She had yet to look upon his face in any close inspection but she could imagine the type – faceless she called them. Those whom were successful in a life of stealth and larceny often held plan faces with few distinguishing features. It was a highly positive trait in an industry where anonymity was of the utmost importance. She merely kept up her assessing of the Flaxen District occupant as her new would-be partner spoke up.

Decidedly rude but then his kind usually are, they test and probe first. Weakness is never tolerated and safety needs to be guaranteed – an oxymoron in my opinion as nothing is every truly safe in this world she mused to herself as she waited for him to finish.

“Offers and opportunities exist everywhere for those with the ears and eyes to deduce them, friend,” she responded in an instructive tone, “the fact that you heard about it proves to people that you possess ears but little else” she continued onwards by way of greeting.

She still did not turn to look at him, there were few reasons she should do so and many that she should not – she trusted her judgement in this. She would continue to play the part of the passive bench sitter, the tired browser of wares and, as such, she would be immune from suspicion. She had been watching the market for some time, noting those who came and went, and she was relatively sure he was bluffing. There had been those who had shown an interest but only in passing. Perhaps 5 people all told had been watching her since she had sat upon the bench – a paltry number for the number of tongues that had let the rumours slip.

“Few have been watching me, fewer still paying attention. Even you are not playing it altogether safely by pulling out a dagger in broad daylight whilst sitting next to a woman who – at a distance – would pass for a Nykan. Not very wise indeed. Perhaps…it is you whom should prove to em you are not sloppy?” she chuckled then, finally tilting her head enough to see if her small barb had been felt.

Brown eyes, brown hair, bulbous nose but…deft fingers. He knows his trade well and cares more about success than looking decent. A positive sign but still not enough she ran through the pointers in her mind silently.

“As to survival, well few approach me these days and only foreigners would have known my little whispering. They wouldn’t reveal it without risking themselves – a sound reasoning and it worked…you are here”

“Risks are always necessary if one wishes to advance and profit, there is no success without risk. I assure you that my scheme is simple enough…if your talents are as you ascribe them to be. You merely need to relieve certain small items for my use at a later date. Whatever else you…acquire is yours to keep with no questions”

“Alas, you need not trust me. However I would point out that I know your face, I know Vysia who runs the Hostel where you live and I know how to kill you if I really needed to. As it happens you are my helped this day and thus…immune,” she turned her head to look at him then, finally, a sweet smile upon her lips like dripped poison, “I understand, though, if you do not have the fortitude to follow through with your claims. You are free to go if a simple market is too much for you” she swept her hand aside as she pinned his eyes with her own singular one.

That’s right…I have seen more dangerous battle than you and have the proof of it. Care to rethink your observations? she asked internally of him.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Balderdash on May 28th, 2014, 12:28 am

Delicious rewards! Happy days and jubilation!

You! :
Skill XP Awarded
Subterfuge 2
Persuasion 1

Lores: Nyka Never Changes, It's Totally Just Monks That Are Capable, No One Will Sqeal About Thieves, Alyx Is A Jerk, Alyx Has A Boring Face, The Dude Is Sloppy

Items and Consequences: Nil

Oh my... Zandy's tempting fate up in here. :P Amusing thread, as it is.

If you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please PM me. A happy you is a happy Balderdash!

Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)