[Verified by Gossamer] Ethan Terran

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Ethan Terran

Postby Ethan Terran on April 9th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Ethan Terran

Appearance

Race: Human
Birthday: 76th, Spring, 493 AV.
Birthplace: Syliras

Appearance: Ethan stands about average hight, 5'9, with a medium build. Thin frame and bedraggled hair reflect his current impoverished lifestyle, and his clothes are old, torn and often dirty. His hair is dark like his father's before him, though he has his mother's complexion. His most striking feature though are his milky white eyes. Blinded since birth, Ethan does not bother trying to meet people's eyes (even if he could) but tilts his head in their direction so that he can better hear their words. His hands are soft, having never done a real hard days work given his condition, yet he has nimble fingers from practicing his instrument.

Character Concept

The age old story of rags to riches, Ethan dreams of one day gaining a true life for himself despite his impairments. Ever since he was a little boy his father told him of the Syliran Knights and their valor and courage, and ever since Ethan has dreamed of one day joining their ranks. He is, if nothing else, realistic however. Without his sight Ethan knows that his dream is just that, a dream. Despite this he holds onto a strong sense of justice, feeling that, even though he cannot become a knight in title he should strive to live up to their teachings. He is a weak man, and Ethan realizes this himself. Despite all of his failings he has taken an oath to protect all within his sight, even if he has not the skills to do so. As his father before him Ethan is an honorable man and seeks only true justice in the world. For now he does not know how he will find his way having no way of seeing the path ahead of him, but the words of his father have taught him that, despite all odds, true courage comes when one faces the oncoming darkness and does not run from the troubles ahead.

Character History

Ethan was born in Syliras to a father who was a blacksmith, and a mother who worked at the local inn. From birth Ethan was unable to see the world around him, and yet he never once felt as if he was missing anything for the love of his parents kept him strong. Though he could not experience it himself, his father told him of the city and described the city to his son when they went on their daily walks, after the work was done of course. Ethan heard of the Knights, and many stories of their valor and courage sent him to sleep as he lay in bed with his mother and father. Ethan's mother showed Ethan how sounds could be used to learn the ways of the world. She taught him that music was how a blind man could paint a picture for the soul just as an artist painted upon a canvas. Yes Ethan was without his sight, but because he never had it to begin with he never felt as if it were a great loss. He could see the world through his other senses, and he could experience just as much as everyone else. Or so he thought.

Ethan's father passed away when the boy reached the age of 10, and his mother took him to Zeltiva in hopes that the boy could find a better future there. It was in Zeltiva that Ethan learned that, without sight, life would never be the same for him as it was for those who could see the world around them. He could not read the books he was meant to learn, he could not experience and learn as other's around him could, and so despite his efforts he found that Academics were, and forever would be, out of his reach. Once more his mind turned toward the knights, and Ethan felt a calling there and a desire to one day wear the armor and rank of their noble heritage. It could never be. Of course Ethan knew, for if he could not learn from the University of Zeltiva what chance have he to join the ranks of the most honorable warriors in all of Mizahar?

His blindness was a curse, and this Ethan knew from the bottom of his heart. As he grew older he found that none would take him on as an apprentice. He could find no work, for all saw him simply as a blind and helpless boy. Never given the chance to be more, Ethan simply learned to live life by his mother's side. Learning to let music heal his tattered soul. Yet even that could not last, for come the Winter of 512 AV Ethan's mother was stricken by the plague and died soon after. It was devastating, a terrible blow to the boy and one that left him reeling and uncertain what it was he was to do. For once he was thankful for his blindness, for he did not have to see his mother suffer in her final days.

Now alone in the world, Ethan found himself thinking more and more of Syliras, his home, and of the knights that lived there. Zeltiva held nothing for him now, and so he found passage upon a ship to Syliras, where he hoped that he could finally find his way in life.

Language

Fluent Language: Common

Skills

Skill EXP Total Proficiency
Blind Fighting 10 SP 10 Novice
Instrument (Flute) 15 RB, 10 SP, 1 XP 26 Competent
Interrogation 1 XP 1 Novice
Observation 3 XP 3 Novice
Philosophy 7 XP 7 Novice
Rhetoric 3 XP 3 Novice
Singing 30 SP, 3 XP 33 Competent
Storytelling 1 XP 1 Novice

Lores

Lore of Syliran Geography
Lore of History of Syliran Knights

Gnosis

First mark of Audius
Story :
77th of Fall, 514 AV

His fingers swept a nimble tune from the rough wooden flute, pulling from it with his own breath and touch note upon note that spun into a harmony with the other sounds of the tavern. In the city of Syliras night brought with it many things, but especially the call of the taverns and drink held the greatest temptations to many of its denizens. Song and laughter filled the air as men, and women, joined in a festivity of their own making, and it was to Ethan that fell the task of entertaining this rowdy crowd. However he enjoyed it, and upon the stage this night he was not alone. Around him were several of his own kind, musicians in their own right adding their notes to his own and making for a rather impressive harmony, if Ethan were a proper judge of course. To his right Ethan could hear the pounding of a drum, loud and bold but not such that it drowned out the higher and softer tones of the lute eloquently played by a woman on his left. He could smell the fragrance of wildflowers and spice that flowed from her long hair when she dipped her head from side to side to keep time with the quickly rising beats. The two were master's in their arts, such that when he sat between them Ethan almost felt consumed by their combined musical might. Still, he did not allow his flute to be silenced by the weight of perfection around him. High pitched trills pierced the pounding drum and melodic lute, demanding for a moment that attention be paid to the man who sat upon a stool closer to the wall of the stage. The man who never once opened his eyes to see the reactions of his crowd.

Most nights were rowdy, filled with laughter and shouts and from time to time a fight or two that was quickly broken up by the barkeep or the knights, whoever came first. Tonight though seemed different somehow. While he played Ethan tapped his foot to keep time with the music, swaying gently from side to side as he more and more felt the need to stand and dance to the music he was helping to create. But of course he couldn't. That was why he was seated where he was, near the back upon a stool. Out of the way, where his physical impairment would not get in the way of the other musicians. That was just how it was though. For a man who could not see perhaps it did make sense for him to be kept to the side, out of the way for his own good, and for the safety of others. After all what would happen if he did stand to dance, but tripped on an obstacle he was not aware of?

Ethan smiled, and laughed on the inside at the sudden morbid thoughts. What did it matter if he could not see? So what if he could not walk or go wherever he wished, whenever he wished? Could he not still dream? Could he not still play? Did he not have a voice that could and sing, fingers that could touch and play? Legs that could, slowly and often stumble yes, but if he chose these legs of his would still carry him wherever he wished. Yes his eyes were filled with darkness, but his heart... his heart was filled with music, and from that stemmed his delight and joy of simply being alive.

The tempo sped up and the ground shook as heavy soled boots, dozens of them, pounded to the rhythm. Claps from many hands cracked the air, and whistles and shouts of approval were coupled with the gurgle of good mead and the clatter of mugs on tables. Ethan could see it all, or rather believed he could see it all. The world, all of it, was filled with far more sounds than sights, and for a man who had never once held light in his eyes these sounds painted a picture of the world unlike anything he could describe. He could feel the thrum of life in the room, the joy and fun and laughter. He could almost picture the faces of those in his crowd as they took pleasure from this displace of entertainment. In a way music was a way for Ethan to see, but if that was the case surely he was not blind at all. Maybe, just maybe, he only saw the world through different eyes than most.

Ethan tilted his head as he felt a bead of wetness fall upon his brown, flung from the flower scented woman on his left. The he could not be sure, Ethan felt that she was smiling. The music rose and rose then, the three musicians planing in a spiraling fit of passion as the woman's movements grew more and more erratic and the man's feet stomped harder and harder to the point Ethan wondered if he planned to break through the wood of the stage itself. Higher and higher it rose, reaching the crescendo and then... silence. The song was ended and all that was left there for a tick was the gasping breath of the entertainers and the quiet awe of the crowd. It was at this point that Ethan raised his head and opened his eyes, peering through the darkness as if too see the faces of those he had come to entertain. This was the moment Ethan liked best, when the people were waiting, unsure if the song was over, breath held in anticipation, excitement... until their bodies realized what it was they were supposed to be doing.

The cheers struck like a thunder clap that rocked Ethan in his seat. His smile broadened as he closed his eyes once more and leaned back to let the applause wash over him.

"Hey, good job." Tilting his head in the direction of the voice the scent of wildflowers bloomed once more in his darkness.

"Thank you. It has been a pleasure to play with you Miss..." he paused and the woman laughed,
"Anna. My name is Anna. Do you play here often."

Pushing his fingers through his hair Ethan laughed and nodded, turning his head so that he faced Anna but did not open his eyes, "Yes, almost every night or at least whenever they will have me. This is the first time I've played with partners though. Do you come to this Tavern often?"

"Oh, no this is our first time. My husband and I are new to the city, but it is good to see another talented musician so well established." A deep grunt from the right caused a fresh wave of scents to assault Ethan's nose as Anna turned to look at her husband and then back at Ethan, "Forgive me, we must be off but I hope we will meet again soon."

"Aye, so do I." Ethan raised a hand to wave after their departure, though with the noise in the tavern now it was difficult to tell exactly which way they were headed. With a sigh Ethan took the soft leather case from his pocket, carefully sliding the flute back into its home before standing and taking up the walking stick he had leaned on the wall next to him. Now came the tricky part, getting off the stage and to the door without stumbling all over himself and into other people. The tavern was now beginning to fill with loud, drunken chatter once more, all of this assaulting Ethan's ears and making it difficult to tell where every body was located it. With his right hand on the wall Ethan began to make his way off the stage, using the stick to feel for the edge to avoid tumbling onto his face as he had done his first night.

"Here, allow me to assist you." After just a step Ethan found a hand under his elbow, and a kind voice on his left that caused him to turn his head and open his eyes in surprise.

"Well now, that is interesting isn't it. A blind bard who plays as if he could see with his very music." Opening his mouth to reply Ethan quickly closed his eyes once more, and when no words came out he shut his lips as well and simply smiled and nodded his assent.

The hand move up to gently grasp Ethan's shoulder, offering him a guide as they maneuvered off the stage and into the crowd. It was but a few careful nudges, and a brief whisper or two and then suddenly Ethan felt the frame of the door brush his fingers and the crisp, cool night air stroking his cheek.

Sucking in a deep breath Evalin smiled sideways at the kind companion who offered him assistance, "Thank you my friend, really I wonder what I would have done had you not come when you did."

The smile faded slightly as something... odd happened. The stranger kept a good grip on Ethan's shoulder, and where he touched a warmth slowly spread. From this distance Ethan could smell the scent of rosin, like what was used on the strings of an instrument, and the air almost hummed. Or was it the man that was humming? The sound was soft, almost unnoticeable but the closer Ethan listened the more details that made themselves apparent. A breeze whipped by them and the flutter of their clothing sounded clearer, more detailed. The man was wearing robes of some kind, or was it simply a shirt with wider sleeves? The breath from his lips was slow and steady, and followed the pace of a deep, deep and low pounding that sounded as though it were buried far underground. Yet that was impossible, because it was coming from the direction of the stranger.

"Something tells me that, had I not been there you would have figured something out." and he laughed, and when he did it was like a thousand bells exploded around the musicians head. Ethan's eyes widened, milky iris' staring into the distance as he became fascinated that one man's laugh could carry so many varying tones and notes and pitches!

"Do not become too caught up with listening Ethan. A bard must not only hear the music of the world around him, but also be able to express it."

Ethan realized he was staring off into the distance, and assumed the man would find it odd. Shaking his head Ethan closed his eyes once more and tilted his head towards the stranger, "Aye, but surely you realize how easy it is for one such as I to become lost in the music. After all the only thing I can ever do is listen." he smiled ruefully.

The laugh came again, and Ethan's smile broaden as the hand on his shoulder squeezed once more and released him,
"Perhaps you see it that way for now, but surely you realize the truth. In a world of darkness you may see the world through your ears, but with your music you can shape it and others as well. A blind man, in a way, has greater strength than many of his peers."

This time Ethan laughed and crossed his arms as he tilted his head toward the man, "Oh? And what makes you believe that?"

For an instant, barely even a tick, there was a flash that illuminated the darkness of Ethan's world. A note, soft yet so powerful it shook the bard to the core and forced his eyes open, and what he SAW there made the breath leave his lungs. It was a man, an older man, with long flowing robes and barely a wisps of hair on his head. An impressive mustache, and a smile and expression of pure joy and amusement that made a flurry of emotions bloom within Ethan's soul.

"For years you have lived a life without sight, and because of this you have learned to not just hear the world around you, but to truly listen. You have heard the changes taking place, the notes of man and beast alike, but as you feel you are crippled in some way you have decided for yourself never to act. You have chosen to stand aside and let others do for you because of an idea that you could not do for yourself. Listening, you know what it is like to hurt, to want, and to desire. To feel joy and to understand the pain and suffering and happiness of others, and yet be unable to affect them in any way. Now I am telling you that you can in fact do for yourself as you have always wished." Darkness envoloped him once more but there was a faint outline of a shape sealed forever on the back of his eyelids. He could hear it then, the crunch of bone and the pull of muscles and he KNEW the actions he was taking. He could 'see' the man leaning forward, extending his hand out to Ethan who took it without hesitation into a firm handshake, "It is time now to stop simply listening to the music around you, but to add your own notes to the orchestra."

Swallowing hard Ethan's hand shook as his mind was expanded and he became aware of the world he was standing in. The sounds, everything was so clear, crisp and more beautiful than he had ever experienced before. The wind sang through the stones of Syliras, its people creating a steady beat as boots marched on cobble stones and children laughed and defied their mothers in an attempt to stay outside 'just a few chimes longer'. All of it, the music of the city, stood out with such great detail Ethan could almost see it in his mind, down to the smallest ant that crawled a here fraction of an inch from his foot. Opening his eyes once more Ethan stared at the man, his griped tightening, "Sir... friend, who are you?"

He knew the old man smiled, for he could hear it in the tone of his voice,
"That is exactly right. I am a friend. You may call me Rhaus. Time now to open your true eyes to the world and see it as only you can." The grip was released and Ethan stumbled, barely catching himself on his staff as he reached forward after Rhaus, searching with his new senses trying to hear where he had gone, "Wait! Where should I go? What should I do? I don't understand what am I supposed to play and to who?"

"You will figure out something I am sure." Rhaus laughed, the notes dancing in the night and slowly fading as a farewell to the Blind Man.

For a chime Ethan could not move, for he was not sure where he was to go. After a time he sighed, ran his fingers through his hair and tilted his head back, Listening to the world around him as never before, "Well... I have always wanted to travel. He said to listen and to play... but for now, I think I will just follow the music. Wherever that may take me."

Possessions

1 Set of Clothing
-Simple Shirt
-Simple Pants
-Simple Undergarments
-Simple Cloak or Coat
-Simple Boots
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack which contains:
-Comb (Wood)
-Brush (Wood)
-Soap
-Razor
-Balanced Rations (1 Week's worth)
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel
100 Gold Mizas

Heirloom: Mother's Wooden Flute

Housing

Temporary Housing at the Traveler’s Row

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total
Starting +100 GM 100 GM
Cash in Housing +500 600GM
Spring 514 AV -135 465 GM

Thread List

8th of Spring, 513 AV: A Knights Tale, the Begining
13th of Spring, 513 AV: Just Like Music (Uleru)
20th of Spring, 513 AV: Music of the Heart (Sigrun)
31st of Spring, 513 AV: Through My Eyes (Fubuki)

Winter, 514 AV
23rd of Winter, 514 AV: Can you hear it? (Norae, Trista)
Ethan Terran
Through the Eyes of the Heart

Words: 60804
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets