Azilis Theroulde

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Azilis Theroulde

Postby Azilis Theroulde on June 28th, 2010, 3:07 am

Image Credit: Zwielicht-Art @ http://www.Deviantart.com

Basic Information

Race: Human
Birthday & Age : Season of Summer, Day 52, 492 AV (18 years of age)

Physical Description

Standing at only five feet and three inches, Azilis is sometimes mistaken for younger than she actually is. Slender and unmuscled, she appears harmless – but don't let that fool you; her mind makes up for her lack of physical presence. She keeps her red hair, which is several inches past her shoulders, loose most of the time, and her eyes are a pale blue; the mark of an Inarta, her father once told her, although she thinks that the tales her father tells about Inarta ancestry from several generations past are just talk and nothing more. Not really one for the sunlight, Azilis' complexion is almost pasty. Her features are finely formed, thin and delicate though not angular. She likes pretty clothes, but not enough to squander sensibility.

Character Concept

A lover of knowledge, Azilis is disciplined in her quest to learn and firmly believes that knowledge is, in fact, power. Although she doesn't seek out social situations, she doesn't mind them and likes having close friends and meaningful conversation. Azilis has a dry wit that some find off-putting and can sometimes be argumentative without intending, as she is fiercely independent and likes to do things her own way, thank you very much. In her quest for knowledge, she can become overeager and see issues in black and white before exploring the shades of gray. Although she's no great athlete, she enjoys horseback riding as it affords her a chance to be alone with her thoughts. She is also a lover of good music and plays old Syliran folk music that her mother taught her on her heirloom harp.

Ethics: Azilis is a religious woman and was raised to respect the gods before anything else. Unless she's got a really good reason to do so, she won't break the law.
Likes: Good books, her harp, and intelligent conversation. She's also enthralled by the idea of magic and would like to learn how to use it more; her father Corentin taught her the basics of Auristics, but she doesn't know any more than that.
Dislikes: Unnecessary violence, due to her upbringing in Nyka; Zith, as her family was once attacked by them and her younger sister was taken into slavery; people who are ignorant or disrespectful of learning.

Character History

Azilis Relia Theroulde was born in Nyka on the fifty-second day of summer, the first daughter of Corentin Theroulde, a teacher and studious priest of Eyris, and Aedrys Boreal, a musician of Rhaus. Her father Corentin, along with his younger sister Annaeg, was a native Nykan; although Annaeg admired the monks and eventually became an acolyte of Skerr, Corentin never felt called to serve one of the four Alvina. Aedrys had also grown up in the city; her parents had been wheat farmers in the Nykan farmlands. Though neither Corentin nor Aedrys ever served the Celestials, they were both deeply religious, and felt a mysterious bond with the city despite the violence that they abhorred. Corentin dedicated himself to Eyris early in life, burying himself in his studies and becoming a talented Aurist. Aedrys was a skilled harpist reknowned for the beauty of both the songs she composed and her physical appearance. They married in early 487 A.V., setting up a household in Skerr's quarter, where Corentin's sister Annaeg always managed to make sure they were well-fed even in times of famine. Although they were not rich, they were happy, and greeted the birth of Azilis' brother Sylvair with joy. Azilis arrived four years after her brother, in 492 A.V., and Thaelia, the youngest, was born in 494.

Even as a young girl, Azilis showed a propensity for following in her parents' footsteps and respecting the pursuit of knowledge. She often dogged her father to the magic classes he taught, and her mother began to teach her the harp as soon as she was old enough to grasp the instrument properly. However, when Azilis was ten years old, Annaeg got into an altercation with a priest of Uphis and was mortally wounded. Her parents were shocked at her aunt's death and afraid that one of their children might someday follow in her footsteps and die young. A month after Annaeg was buried, they packed their possessions and left in a caravan with other émigrés for Zeltiva, where Corentin had secured a position as a professor of Auristics at the University of Zeltiva. But tragedy struck again on the journey, when the caravan was attacked by a small pack of Zith who had strayed to the north of their usual territory to prey on travelers. Thaelia was abducted by the Zith and presumably enslaved, while Aedrys, who had been pregnant, miscarried and almost died. The events of that night  caused a rift in the family that never quite healed. However, it awoke in Azilis a vociferous need to learn, especially magic, so that she might be prepared to deal with whatever situations she was thrown into later in life. She began to seriously study Auristics under her father's tutelage, and when they arrived in Zeltiva she fell in love with the erudite and accomplished people of the University. Her mother, who had been sickly ever since the journey to Zeltiva, continued to grow weak and finally died two years after Thaelia's abduction. She bequeathed to Azilis her heirloom harp, which had been passed down from mother to eldest daughter for several generations and was rumored to be blessed by Rhaus.

At present, Azilis is continuing her education at the University and exploring how to accomplish the impossible with magic.

Training (Skills, Arcana, Gnosis, Lore)

Harp Playing 22 Starting package [20], In the Forests of the Night [2]
Writing 20 Starting package [20]
Auristics 26 Race bonus [15], The Professor's Daughter [5], In the Forests of the Night [2], Professor Stonemiller [1], Magecrafting Like Butter [3]
Magecrafting 4 Magecrafting Like Butter 4]
Observation 4 Magecrafting Like Butter [4]
Riding 5 Starting package [5]
Cooking 5 Starting package [5]
Meditation 4 The Professor's Daughter [4]
Singing 1 In the Forests of the Night [1]
Glyphing 1 Magecrafting Like Butter [1]
Drawing 1 Magecrafting Like Butter [1]
Dagger 1 In the Forests of the Night [1]
Leadership 1 In the Forests of the Night [1]

Lores:
Lore of Syliran Folk Music
Lore of Zeltiva
Novice Methods of Changing one's Aura (The Professor's Daughter)
The Possibility of Simultaneous Seeing Between Two People (The Professor's Daughter)
The Difficulties of Travel (In the Forests of the Night)
Finding Comfort in Song (In the Forests of the Night)
The Merciless Wilds (In the Forests of the Night)
Confronting a Zith (In the Forests of the Night)
The Responsibility of Survival (In the Forests of the Night)
Overgiving (In the Forests of the Night)
The Contagious Effects of Fear (In the Forests of the Night)
Speculating about Important Events (In the Forests of the Night)
Seeing Another Side to a Loved One (In the Forests of the Night)
How Tragedy Changes Lives and Personalities (In the Forests of the Night)
Experimental Magecrafting (Magecrafting Like Butter)
Practicality Breeds Success! (Magecrafting Like Butter)
Basic Magecrafting Theories (Magecrafting Like Butter)
Djed Theory [Minor] (Magecrafting Like Butter)

Languages Spoken:
Fluent in Common
Basic in Nari
Poor in Pavi

Equipment and Possessions

1 set of clothing: pale blue dress, navy corset, white shift, embroidered navy cloak, black walking shoes
1 waterskin
1 backpack (containing a set of toiletries, food for a week, flint and steel, and an eating knife)
The Boreal Harp, inherited from her mother, Aedrys Boreal
Basic Zeltivan Cottage Housing, containing a hearth, bunk, chest, chair, and small table

Ledger

100 Gold Mizas
-45 G.M. (Summer living expenses)
_______
55 G.M.

Thread List

Threads Historical

[Flashback] In the Forests of the Night [Closed] - The Wildlands, Late Summer, 503 A.V.
In which the Therouldes are attacked and lose a family member and Azilis learns the dangers of magic use. Completed, XP awarded: 2 XP Harp, 1 XP Singing, 1 XP Dagger, 1 XP Leadership, 2 XP Auristics. Lore: The Difficulties of Travel, Finding Comfort in Song, The Merciless Wilds, Confronting a Zith, The Responsibility of Survival, Overgiving, The Contagious affects of Fear, Speculating about Important Events, Seeing Another Side to a Loved One, How Tragedy Changes Lives and Personalities

[Flashback] The Professor's Daughter [Hadrian] - Zeltiva, 1st Summer, 507 A.V.
In which Azilis meets Hadrian and they practice auristics and meditation. Completed, XP awarded: 5 XP Auristics, 4 XP meditation. Lore: Novice methods of changing one's Aura; Possibility of simultaneous Seeing between two people.

[Flashback] Seeing and Touching [Hadrian] - Zeltiva, 8th Summer, 507 A.V.
In which Azilis and Hadrian meet again to explore the Flux, meditate, and talk magic. Complete.

[Flashback] Magecrafting Like Butter [Hadrian] - Zeltiva, 15th Summer, 507 A.V.
In which Azilis and Hadrian meet a third time to enchant a butter knife. Completed, XP awarded.

Summer, 510 A.V.

A New City [Open] - Zeltiva, 12th Summer, 510 A.V.
In which Azilis meets Aidemma, Kale, Chiri, and Sllarai.

[University - Wright Library] Professor Stonemiller- Zeltiva, 35th Summer, 510 A.V.
In which Azilis begins her magical education at the University of Zeltiva. Completed, XP Awarded: 1 XP Auristics.

[University Lab] Golden Concoctions [Argos/Open] -Zeltiva, 50th Summer, 510 A.V.
Last edited by Azilis Theroulde on September 30th, 2010, 3:41 am, edited 24 times in total.
~O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!~

-Miranda, The Tempest
Azilis Theroulde
Aurist in Training

Words: 57571
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2010, 2:13 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)

Azilis Theroulde

Postby Azilis Theroulde on July 4th, 2010, 5:01 pm

The Nerd's Tale: An Interview with Azilis Theroulde

Image Credit: Zwielicht-Art @ http://www.deviantart.com

Under Construction

General Information :
1. What is your Name?
Azilis Relia Theroulde.

2. Do you go by a nickname or pet name?
Some people have called me Azi before. I don't particularly mind, but I don't prefer it either.

3. How old are you?
Eighteen years old.

4. What is your height?
Five foot three, if you're being generous...

5. What is your weight?
Mmmm, probably somewhere around 105. My build isn't particularly bulky, thank the gods, or I'd probably look like one of those fat old scholars rusting away in the bowels of the University. Since I'm the only woman of the household now, I'm in charge of the cooking (Sylvair can't boil water, and my father's so wrapped up in his studies he forgets to sleep, much less eat), and I don't really hold back on eating.

Aesthetics :
1. Describe yourself as you see yourself.
Well, I have about as much muscle as a Falyndarian tapeworm. I'm a redhead and I've got blue eyes, and I've just grown out of my teenage acne phase, thank the gods. I'm kind of pretty. I guess. If short and sarcastic redheads are your thing.

2. Describe yourself as others typically see you.
I'd like to think I have a pretty accurate body image, and so the way others see me are about how I see myself.

3. What is your favorite body feature?
I like my hair a lot. It's thick and shiny and easy to care for.

4. How physically fit are you?
I'm not predisposed to athletics, let's just say that...but I can ride a horse and hold a dagger okay. My body just doesn't build muscle, I think.

5. How do you typically dress and what is your style?
Hey, pretty clothes are nice. Since I don't do a whole lot of running around, I can wear them without it being a hassle. Bright corseted dresses are fun, but my father can't always afford to buy them for me, and I'm not out on my own yet.

Family :
1. Who are your parents and what are they like?
My father is Corentin Theroulde, and I'm quite fond of him. He's very wise and knows a lot of magic, which he's taught to me. He's just retired from the University of Zeltiva, where he was a really good teacher for eight years. My mother, Aedrys Theroulde, is dead. I don't mind talking about her, though. She was small and very pretty, and she was a devotee of Rhaus. She died when I was twelve.

2. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
I've got an older brother, Sylvair. He just graduated from the University and he's absolutely insufferable. He likes drinking kelp beer and pretending he knows a lot. I love him, though.
I had a younger sister, once. That, I don't like talking about.

3. What is your extended family like?
I knew my maternal grandparents, but I left them behind in Nyka and haven't seen them since we moved. I write them letters occasionally, but I never get replies because they can't write, or even read that well.
My Aunt Anna (Annaeg, but who wants to trouble with an ugly name like that?) was a Nykan acolyte of Skerr. I didn't see her much because she was very religious and devoted to her duties, and the monks are supposed to give up their families anyway. She still came to see us, though, when she could. She died eight years ago, in a brawl. You know how it is there.

4. Do you consider close friends as important or more/less important than family?
They're less important, definitely. In Nyka I didn't have a whole lot of friends. It wasn't really a child-friendly city, if you know what I mean. In Zeltiva, well, a professor's daughter doesn't make many friends.

5. Do you treat animals like family?
I don't have any, actually. We've never had pets. But I get along alright with animals.

I was born in Nyka.

2. Where do you live now?
In Zeltiva, which I like much better. The scholarly atmosphere suits me.

3. If you could live anywhere in Mizahar where would that be?
The Spires sounds so interesting! I've never met a Jamoura before.

4. Do you have a favorite place to vacation or spend leisure time?
Down by the Mathews Bay is nice. I like just sitting and contemplating my surroundings. The University feels comforting, too. When I'm there, I feel as though I'm a part of something. Temples and shrines have the same effect on me.

5. Where do you fear to be?
In the woods at night. Eugh.

Traits :
1. Do you have any physical weaknesses (disease, scars, and missing limbs?)
I have a propensity for an upset stomach, does that count? Oh, and a little scar below my lower lip where I fell on a table edge as a child.

2. Are you right handed or left handed?
Right-handed, like most people.

3. What languages do you speak? What do you sound like? Do you have an accent?
I speak Common fluently, and my father's taught me some Nari, which he speaks fluently because he lived in Wind Reach for awhile. I also know a couple of phrases of Pavi. I've always thought their culture is interesting...maybe I'll go there someday.
My voice is a bit high but not obnoxious, and people have told me I have a Nykan accent – it's clipped, and I pronounce all my consonants very clearly.

4. Do you have any odd mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
Well, I have a little lisp. I tried to get rid of it when I was younger. Never worked. And sometimes, when I'm bored, I stand on one foot. Don't know why, I just do it.

5. Do you have (or want to get) any tattoos or piercing? Why do you have them (or will get them) ?
I've got my ears pierced, but nothing other than that, and I don't want any other piercings. No tattoos for me. The idea makes me shudder. I'd get all old and saggy...

Occupations :
1. What is your occupation?
I'm a student at the University of Zeltiva.

2. Do you like/dislike your work? Why?
Oh, I love it! I've been waiting for this for years!

3. If you could be anything you wanted to, what would you be?
A great scholar and mage, respected across Mizahar.

4. What occupation do you admire the most? Why?
Well, being a scholar, like I said. It takes so much dedication and years of learning.

5. What occupation do you lest like? Why?
Assassins and bounty hunters make me shiver. Why would anyone choose to kill? I don't know how they do it.

Childhood :
1. What sort of child were you?
I was a very talkative little girl. Curious, too. I got into all sorts of trouble.

2. What is your favorite memory from childhood?
When I was, oh, maybe five, I remember visiting the shrine of Qalaya. It was very peaceful, and I remember feeling a sense of belonging.

3. What is your worst memory from childhood?
When my sister was enslaved by Zith.

4. What sort of relationship did you have with your parents?
I was and am very close to my father, who's taught me most of what I know today. My mother could be distant, but I always knew she loved me.

5. Who was your most influential rolemodel?
If I had to pick between my parents, I'd say my father.

Education :
1. What sort of education do you have?
A little here, a little there. When I lived in Nyka, I went to school at the temple of Eyris. All my father's associates taught me mathematics and history and composition, and a little magic too.

2. Do you like/dislike learning?
Oh, I love it!

3. Where or how did you learn most of your skills/abilities?
Through my father. He's very dedicated to Eyris, and he's a talented teacher. My mother taught me to sing and play the harp, which is also very important to me. I consider my education to be well-rounded.

4. How do you learn best?
One-on-one. I like to ask a lot of questions.

5. What are your educational goals for the future?
To graduate from the University, at least. Then I want to travel Mizahar!

Relationships :
1. Do you form close bonds with people? Why? Why not?
With several people, I suppose. I'm not antisocial, but I don't seek out company either.

2. Do you trust people easily? If not, why not?
Probably too easily. I like to see the good in people because it's often what's on the surface.

3. Do you consider yourself straight, gay, bi, or something else?
Straight, I think. Though I've never been with a woman before, so I don't know.

4. Have you ever been kissed? If so, describe the first time.
Once I was. It was on a dare. It was quite unpleasant. His breath smelled like fish.

5. Have you ever had sex? If so, describe the first time.
No sex for me, at least not yet.

Drugs and Alcohol :
1. Have you ever been drunk? If so, describe your first time.
Oh, this is an embarrassing story...one time I went with Sylvair to the Kelp Bar and he dared me to drink a whole tankard of the petching stuff. So I did. I found out I don't hold my liquour very well.

2. Do you like to drink on a regular basis?
I'm not opposed to it, but alcohol isn't really my thing.

3. What sort of alcohol do you prefer?
White wine is alright, I guess.

4. Have you ever tried drugs (mood altering substances)? If so, which kinds and what did you think of them?
I haven't, no. But I rather want to try some. It would be an educational experience.

5. What do you think of drugs and alcohol? Be specific.
I think that often they're very poisonous, if in the wrong hands.

Likes and Dislikes :
1. What are your hobbies?
I adore playing my harp, and I like to sing too, although I wouldn't say I'm that great at it. Other than that, I like to write and read and, when I can, ride horseback. It's relaxing.

2. Do you like to read?
Hah. Only all the time!

3. What annoys you more than anything else?
I can't stand it when people crack their knuckles.

4. What do you find the most relaxing activity to do?
Probably reading.

5. What kinds of things embarrass you? Why?
Oh, let's see...in social situations, I have a habit of saying strange things that get me lots of odd looks. Which is embarrassing. Like sometimes, I'll start talking about a branch of magic or history that I find particularly interesting and bore everyone else to death...

Favorites :
1. What is your favorite color or colors?
I do love blue, especially light shades of it.

2. What is your favorite time of day?
Sunrise and sunset. I love watching the colors play out on the sky.

3. What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
The first time I saw an aura. To realize the complexity of a single other person, or animal, or even object...it's beautiful to understand.

4. What do you like to eat? What do you hate to eat?
I'm a sucker for sweet pastries and suchlike. I'm not a big fan of meat; it retains an aura even after it's dead and cooked, did you know that? Blech.

5. What is your favorite type of weather? Does any kind scare you?
I like it when rain is pouring down and I'm inside, tucked into an armchair and reading. No types of weather really scare me, except when we have monstrous storms and I get a little afraid that the Mathews Bay might flood Zeltiva.

Outlook :
1. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
Optimistic, most of the time. I like to see the good in people.

2. What are your religious views?
I'm pretty religious, as people my age go. I pray regularly to Rhaus, Eyris, Qalaya, Leth, and Nysel, although I respect all the others.

3. Would you be able to kill?
No. No, I don't think I could. There was a time, once, when I was younger, when I was prepared to do so, or thought I was. But not anymore.

4. What are your views on sex?
I've never had it before, as I said. I'm kind of afraid of it; it means getting close to someone like that, and revealing that much of myself to someone else frightens me.

5. What, in your opinion, makes a successful life?
I think I'm a little too young to know yet. I haven't lived for very long. But I want to follow my dreams, and hopefully that'll make my life successful.

Actions :
1. What is the worst and best thing you’ve ever done?
   2. What is your greatest regret?
   3. What is your best/worst memory?
   4. If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be and why?
   5. What are you the most proud of doing in your life?

Emotions :
1. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings with others?
   2. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
   3. What makes you happy?
   4. Who or what, if anything, would you die for?
   5. What makes you angry?

Relationships :
1. In general, how do you treat others?
   2. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
   3. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
   4. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If not, describe an ideal lover.
   5. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why

Group Situations :
1. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
   2. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
   3. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
   4. Do you care what others think of you?
   5. What do you think of others, in general?

Self Image :
1. What is your greatest strength as a person?
   2. What is your greatest weakness?
   3. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
   4. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
   5. Are you generally organized or messy?

Beliefs :
1. What God or Goddess do you find most appealing, if any?
   2. Which God or Goddess do you fear, if any?
   3. Do you have any Gnosis Marks? If so, how did you receive them?
   4. What lengths would you go to to please your deity?
   5. Where do you draw the line at pleasing your deity? What is too much?

Life & Death :
1. What do you absolutely live for?
   2. What is the best part of life?
   3. What is the best part of death?
   4. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
   5. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
~O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!~

-Miranda, The Tempest
Azilis Theroulde
Aurist in Training

Words: 57571
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2010, 2:13 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)