Mid-Day Research (Albireo)

[Bharani Library] Kenept looking to do some research

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Kenept on May 21st, 2013, 6:43 pm

Kenept Oraji
23rd Spring 513 AV
Bharani Library

The large glistening door shut behind Kenept as he walked into the library. Standing in the doorway, he looked around at the grand structure of the beautiful building. Like most of Lhavit, as Kenept had come to learn, the library was adorned with vast amounts of skyglass, which gave off its usual gleam in the light. Continuing to look around, Kenept awed at the numerous shelves that the library held; shelves full of books, and trinkets. Maps and artifacts seemed to also call the shelves of the library a home, neighboring each other as the people of Lhavit neighbored each other.

Kenept was here to learn. He had come wanting to find more information on Reimancy, and knowledge. He wanted to learn about the magic some more, and discover ways to increase his skills. This was his first time in the library, which seemed surprising to him. He had meant to come earlier, but time had gotten away from him in this city; it was something that he needed to manage a little better.

He continued to look around the library, still standing in the doorway. He wasn't exactly sure where to start looking. There were just so many options that seemed to present themselves to Kenept in a place like this. He folded his arms across his chest and let out a deep sigh, pondering where to start.
Kenept
Player

Words: 23062
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2012, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Albireo on May 28th, 2013, 9:57 pm

The light of Syna streamed through tall windows and somewhat dimmed the gleam of skyglass. Still, Bharani Library was a grand work of architecture by day as well as by night. Between the shelves figures in white robes were mixing with visitors in all kinds of garments, although the former were moving with determination that revealed their roles as staff.

The entrance area was marked by the desk of the clerk. Behind it sat a short young woman, jet-black hair falling in her face and cascading over the wooden surface, slightly tanned hand moving an ink stick over a page of her journal with practiced grace. Her work, not even library work, ensnared her so completely that she didn’t notice the undecided visitor at first.

Spring 23, 513 AV

My stay in this wonderful mortal paradise has reached its first anniversary. Does it call for celebration or respect, this particular mark in time? I cannot begin to express the happenings and changes they have brought forth. Even more so than last spring, I am consumed by a flood of conflicting emotions and tangled thoughts, ideas. Tidying them up will take a small eternity.

If it was the Ukalas, time would mean nothing and I’d put it behind me in the blink of an eye. Then again, is it reasonable to trust hazy and fragmented memories? I shall not. The Ukalas is but a dream, as fleeting and false as the name mortals address it with. It is not the real thing.

The stars are still as far away as ever and with them the face of my Moon Lord. He has not answered, although He surely must hear my daily calls. Perhaps I am dreaming, but there has been change: Although He has not answered, I feel His presence more acutely and warmly, as if He is keeping an eye on my unworthy form, holding a hand over my fragile head.

There has been change. I dug my roots in this magnificent place of glitter and rustling pages and it has not disappointed me. Another like me has stepped forth and offered me his arm to walk with. We are two sides of a coin: while I am silver and obsidian, he is gold and bronze.

I have read and I have written many pages, countless words. Somewhere in these tales, legends, journals, reports, treatises, a secret of great importance is hidden. Through breathing the air of the library, I can tell it.

If I discover it, I will be one step closer to the dream I am chasing. I know it. I look forward to it and I will do everything to achieve it. My Lord is ever watching, ever listening, of that I am sure. It seems like that is the gift the City of Stars has given me: clarity.

A deep sigh made her look up and narrow her eyes, almost annoyed at the intruder. Yet she knew exactly what to do. An annoying voice lived in her head, although its true owner was nowhere to be seen during midday.

Before returning to duty, she set the ink stick aside, closed the journal and put it in a drawer. If they were private, words had to be hidden carefully. Then she stood and approached the visitor to follow another rule of the library: hushed voices. Eyes dipped in green, almost turquoise, the melodic Vantha voice chimed: “Welcome to Bharani Library. Is there anything I can assist you with?” A foreign accent added a hint of spice to her tone, but apart from that she seamlessly slipped into the role work had given her.
Credits: wyldraven
Albireo
I got lost in translation.

Words: 71117
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2012, 11:40 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kenept on May 30th, 2013, 5:36 am

Hearing the sound of a book being shut, Kenept was pulled from his ogle over the library before him. He looked around, trying to find the source of the noise, not realizing that the person who had caused the noise was already walking around the desk, approaching him. Her distinctive voice would draw Kenept's attention to her, causing him to notice her bright green eyes. He always looked into people's eyes when he first met them; it gave him a better understanding of them.

"Oh, sorry if I interrupted you," he said softly. His voice wasn't nearly as exotic as hers was, a slight accent from Alvadas, but nothing too special in this part of the land. "I was just stopping in, never been here before." He paused, folding his arms behind his back. "This place is so big, I don't know where to start. It's almost overwhelming. A little scary to a newcomer, like myself." He looked around a little, taking in more of the sites of the library. [color=#0080FF]"Do you have time to show me around? Perhaps a quick tour?"

He wasn't quite sure what he was looking for, be it a book or just somewhere to start. But he knew the subject, he was sure of that. He also was hoping that the girl who had offered her help wouldn't jump right into what he had asked for. He enjoyed new people, meeting them, making friends with them, anything really. He was new, and would need his connections.
Kenept
Player

Character sheet

Postby Albireo on May 31st, 2013, 8:54 pm

A slight accent clung to the words he spoke. It tugged at memories, otherwise she’d have missed it completely. A messenger… from the mismatched city of illusion? It brought back headaches of confusion and dizziness, but also promises of shelter and meetings with Carnelian. If nothing else, Suria could appreciate that. And the stories, oh, always the stories!

While a part of her mind was in the past, another was watching the visitor. Soft features, pleasant enough speech and manners. Young. Scholarly potential? Perhaps. Her mortal form wasn’t prone to blooming imagination, not as much as the ethereal. Answers were precise and delivered in a clear voice, if a little sullen. “Welcome to Lhavit and Bharani Library then. This is one of the largest collections of knowledge in Mizahar, so your feeling is appropriate.” That was all the excuse she offered.

A tour it was? Her eyes lit up a fraction, changing to darker blues illuminated by yellow lightning. Those who didn’t know where to start often provided the best challenges, the most interesting tales in the process. “It is my job to assist visitors in their search. I will gladly give you a tour if that is your wish. My name is Suria Skyglow.” Instead of offering her hand or any other formalized greeting, she merely gave a nod, waiting for some sort of decision. As long as she was wearing white robes, she had neither opinion nor preference. Whatever he wanted within the walls of Bharani, she’d do with pleasure.
Credits: wyldraven
Albireo
I got lost in translation.

Words: 71117
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2012, 11:40 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kenept on June 2nd, 2013, 1:54 am

"Suria Skyglow?" Kenept repeated, ensuring that he had gotten the name right. Saying the name, he realized how interesting the name Skyglow was. It sort of matched the skyglass that the city had become famous for. "A pleasure. I am Kenept Oraji," he said also giving a slight nod. He preferred not to shake hands, as it seemed that the girl dressed in white also agreed, because of the scars on his palms; ever since his initiation, his feelings for physical contact had almost become naught.

Her eyes had changed right before Kenept's eyes. From green to a dark blue, streaked with yellow. He had heard of this before, living in Alvadas. The Vantha, a people from the north, had this feature. Eyes that change upon mood alterations. But he didn't know what the different colors meant.

A tour would get Kenept off on the right track, or at least put his feet on the ground. "A tour would be great, uh may I call you Suria?" Still unfamiliar with the naming and etiquette of the city's people. The last thing that he wanted to do was offend someone that was going to help him learn more about the library, the city and perhaps some Reimancy.

It had seemed that Kenept had come to the right place in order to learn. Suria had even said so herself, that his assumptions about the library were correct. From the looks of the place, he could spend hours upon hours in here and barely scratch the surface of the knowledge the place holds.
Kenept
Player

Character sheet