Completed [Wright Memorial Library] Djed, Spell and Magic overview

Arvan's took a closer look upon Magical Theory

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Wright Memorial Library] Djed, Spell and Magic overview

Postby Arvan on May 25th, 2013, 9:08 am

Timestamp: Spring 82, Afternoon, 513 AV

It was not an unusual afternoon at spring. The air was nice outdoor, no cloud could be seen, great temperature and humidity. His body jolted with natural longing for free sky. He could Imagine how smooth he could fly and the beauty of Zeltiva pictured from hundreds feet above the seaside city. His father once told him that Academic's way was not worth their time. Now he believe it. Literally. A silhouette stood in the one of the dark corner among countless other dark corner in the library, struggling hard to retained his focus on a dusty book was himself.

He cursed silently. "Why people tend to scribe a complicated text instead of making a simple one?"

He was struggled to read "Magical Theory: General Overview"

First thing you would have to know is Djed. Djed, meaning "backbone" in the ancient tongue, is a more-or-less universally accepted term for the primal energy in the world of Mizahar. It takes on countless forms and is responsible for the basic properties of the universe, such as identity, substance, sentience and free will. Djed is within everything that exists, though souls contain it at the highest degree of purity. It powers all known magical reactions.

Djed, the backbone of magic. The fuel, the source of power. It said that everything has Djed, didn't it means that everyone could perform magic?

Patiently he digested the worn out pages. In general he was just an ordinary simple-minded Kelvic, that made him slow enough to learn something that somehow felts very complicated.

Upon casting spells, one would transfer his/her Djed into other form, such as fire with Reimancy. But the they must exactly know their limit to be able to do so. Transferring amount of Djed that exceed the limitation of your own body (overgiving), will only lead to either fatal injury or the worst case, death.

Arvan frowned. He never thought that someone could actually die because of bad-managed spell casted by them self. He knew that magic, like arrows was latent harm for the target. Power, speed, constant opportunity to take down enemies, it actually comes with great limitation within. Arvan turn the yellowish page and found some cases about it. Insanity, coma, internal bleeding... even some some serious cases about being popped out like a bubbles, melted down or torn apart.

"That doesn't sounds good after all" he mumbled.

Now you know about what are you want to deal with. Magic is always a serious matter of practice. Therefore a quantity of theory would help you survives better. Knowing your body and mind would be an appropriate thing before you get start.

"And there are... the Introduction" Arvan took a deep sigh and braced himself to whatever text that might hit him in the next chapter
Last edited by Arvan on June 1st, 2013, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's feels like I belong nowhere
Arvan
Player

Words: 23590
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2013, 10:44 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Arvan on May 26th, 2013, 10:15 am

Arvan took some tomes and magical theory books from the dusty shelves. His foot was aching because he has stood for a while. There were only few people that studied today. Apparently, they don't want to spent this good weather for indoor activity like literatural study. He took a little glance toward the window and the shiny sky. Once again he felt that same desire, but he blocked all of it and try to focused his mind to the tattared yellowish book in front of him. He sat on the visitor chair and put down all the books. He didn't know why he would be so interested at this disciple. He didn't see any capability from him to became such a wizard or magician, but may be it could him survive better. Deep down in his heart he also knew that may be he could find some way to pick up the trail of the culprit. But he didn't want to be blinded by his own expectation.

He opened the first chapter of the Magical Theory. The book stated that there were three kinds of magic. Magic that manipulate the users own Djed. Personal Magic. Magic that bestowed by God or Goddess or famously known as Gnosis. And the World Magic, that involved manipulating element beside the magic user. Arvan felt very sure that he wouldn't be so lucky to be able to meet one of the God or Goddess. Rather than planned, he thought it was such a pure luck or fate, that would bring him to encounter a God. Therefore, even if he could find them, he couldn't sure that they would bestow him with such a power. He turned the page and rubbed his right eye. Then there were personal magic and world magic. As a source that define everything, Djed also stored in the body of living being. The concept of personal magic is to convert Djed from the body to other form, like elementals with reimancy, strenghten the body using flux, grant vision of the flow of Djed with auristic. Thus, the user must be aware about the limitation of his own Djed to avoid overgiving. As the opposite, world magic doesn't require the user to manipulate his own Djed. The user would be dealing with Djed flow around him. There were no risk of overgiving, but it's still be very dangerous because some kind of world magic, like alchemy would affect direct health.

He went through the personal and world magics. Surprisingly that were tons of the utility that he never thought before. Every magic have their own proficiency and risk. But as far as he could tell, he couldn't find any kinds of magic that would help him to search for someone he didn't even know. There were a kinds of magic in malediction that mentioned he could build a kind of device that would help him track people. But it must be made from something from the target. He couldn't tell that he was interested with any kind of magic. He just felt that some kind was too difficult for him and the other just didn't seems suitable or rather risky.

"Magical theory eh? Are you planning to enter magic classes for next term?" A gentle voice pulled him back o the reality. An old man sat near him, he also has many books with him.

"Not really. Just kinds of... Personal research" Arvan answered ligthtly

"Why don't you make it serious? Magic is not a knowledge that you could absorb from a bunch of tome and books. You would need a master."

Surely the university has fair number of professor that could teach him better than the books. The student also given the privilege to go to the limited section at the library. Well he didn't have any plan to be spent at summer anyway. May be this is a time to try something new. His father may scold him if he ever know that his son would consider the path of the academics. But now he realize, knowledge is a power and an urgent need. But he need to know what kind of specialty he would like to study. He take a glance toward the list of magical disciple. And started to considering which one is suitable.
Arvan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Arvan on May 27th, 2013, 4:32 am

"Not quite familiar with field of study?" The man sat next to him took a closer look towards a pile of books in front of him. "Ah, I remember this book. Give me quite a picture. But trust me, all of this just a shell and introduction"

"You're was a student?" The young kelvic suddenly found that it may be not polite to address him like that "..sir?"

"I am a student, my son. Everybody are. Season may come and go, but as long as a soul attach to a body, people would likely be student." The old man gave him a cough-like laugh that shake his entire old body. "Now, now, am I make you terrified? Never seen a whole life student before?"

Arvan try to conceal his wonder but unable to cover his smile. "No sir, it's not". It is indeed, made him terrified that there were people who dedicated his whole to study. Well, may be academics way wasn't as bad as his father opinion. He just couldn't imagine him self as one of them. The man next to him, took one of his tome and opened it. His grey eyes went fast through the page, his silvery white hair nearly bald, neatly combed. His appearance might be frail and fragile, but his eyes shone with a kind light of desire. A thirst of knowledge. His eyes suddenly came back to Arvan with such a new interest.

"Personal research eh? What kind of research that bring you here? I might be not a master or teacher, but I have read many books that might be useful for you."

Arvan hesitated for a second. A stranger that wanted to help him. At the woodland he would be more suspicious and careful. But here in the city, it's a different matter. He was just an old man after all.

"I'm looking for certain kind of magic that might be useful for tracking or finding people"

He decide to told him the truth. A little bit of it. May be the old man could really gave him information about it. Although he wouldn't told him why he would like to study that kind of magic.

"There are no specific magic that might be useful or close to it. Oh, sorry for my rough politeness sir, my name is Arvan"

The old man smiled wide and once again took a glimpse of the books and tomes. Arvan didn't know what kind of expression that suddenly rose to the old man's face. A kind of misery? no, it's much like grieve or pain.

"Magic is a tool, yet it's an art my son. You'll need a creativity to develop a certain kind of magic that would suitable for your own needs. You wouldn't find it written in the books anyway." He opened a section of the tome in his hands, while doing so, he introduce him self "People usually call me Dirk. Now," He show the opened section of the tome to Arvan. "Tracking people could be done without magic but of course there's also magical way to do it. You could start it with tailing someones Djed with auristics, have a familiar to track it for you, or make an item with malediction that would encompass you to the target. It's simple though. But here in university you would be only study about the theorical part. Though you could learn some disciple from the books. Anything that you see?"

"No. though may be I would go for auristics." Actually there are a kind of interest that tickling him, it was curiosity about Spiritualism and Malediction. Both, in his consideration, would be marked as dark magics. He couldn't be sure if the university would teach him. But to be able to learn it, he should also be able to reading and drawing runes. That means that glyphing would be a material subject to learn as well.
Arvan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Arvan on June 1st, 2013, 4:03 am

Arvan sighed. Here in the university he could find dozen of information that perhaps would help him to find his terror and survive better. But to be bound to a place for an uncertain time, it didn't feel right. He know that part of himself will always belong to the woodland, but out there he always find the dead end. May be he was destined to find the way here? Spring was fading away. The next term would soon to be opened.

Unconsciously he blankly gazed at the yellowish page that opened in front of him. The old man seems to let him drowned in his own thought.

"Do you think I'm able to do it?".

The old man hesitated "No. If you're not sure you can"

Arvan frowned he didn't mean to ask the old man. He was very sure that Dirk didn't even understand what he was going to do after all. But the old man's answer seems to hit him hard. Did he just feel uncertain? Not sure about himself? About his purposes?
His father said that it is the lack of determination that would make people lost in their own mingled fate. Once his target was determined, he must stick with it until it is done. There is no something called 'too big to achieve'. And patience will be his best friend. So Arvan imagined that he was on hunt, to hunt his own terror. Therefore to track it, he must pass the forest of zeltiva. Its not an ordinary forest where leaves are green and the track of the beast would be marked in the land. He was very sure that he would lost there, but the leaves and the woods, that graphed with knowledge with guide him through it vined woods and make him stronger.

Arvan inhaled the air deeply and turned to the old man next to him. His right eye shone with burning passion and wild smile appeared in his face. "Where could I register for the next term?"
Arvan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Paragon on June 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Arvan

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Research 3
Investigation 1

Lores
Lore Earned
Magical Theory: General Overview
Djed: Primal Energy
Desiring Flight
Three Categories of Magic: Personal, World, Gnosis
Possible Ways of Using Magic to Track
Deciding to Become a Student

Legend Becomes Reality

Nice solo to set your character on the path of the scholar :) If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can work from there.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)