Spidery Questions (Symenestra)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Vadatur Scarlet on May 31st, 2013, 5:24 pm

Hello there, I was wondering if someone can let be know about a few things. Thank you in advance

1. On the Lore, It says Symenestra's are literate and fluently speak their own language as well as common tongue. Does that mean I am able to have two fluent languages from the get go?
  2. Where to Symenestras get their silk? Do they make it, or harvest it from creature? I read over both the Symenestra lore and Kalinor lore, but couldn't find anything on it. (or I may have missed it)
  3. Is the age of a Symenestra's age similar to humans? For example if a Symenestra was 31, in human years it would be 31 as well.
  4. Do Symenestra milk their own venom, or it is weird for them to do so?
  5. If a Symenestra bite a deer or any animal that had a belt, would that pelt/skin be broken down by the venom?
  6. Is a Symenestra's claw classified as a weapon? would unarmed combat be needed, or is it used by instinct?
  7. Symenestras are able to climb up surfaces, does that mean they can climb along roofs?

Sorry if some of the questions seem stupid or obvious.
Vadatur Scarlet
Don't mind the fangs

Words: 2450
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2013, 10:15 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Traverse on May 31st, 2013, 6:53 pm

Hello Vadatur and Welcome to Miz!

Don't worry about asking silly or obvious questions, the lore is awesomely expansive, but that also means it generally takes an extra read or five to get all the details.

1. Edit: No. You can pick either Common or Symenos to be fluent in but you cannot have both. Good Question, though.

Beneath their exoskeleton of armor, male and female wear snug leggings then wrap themselves in long strips of Symenestran silk from the Ranekissra moth.
A singular sentence illustrates the moth that Symenestra get their silk from, again, easy to miss.

3. On the little blue side bar you'll see the average lifespans for a Sym which is up to 90 years, so they have a quite similar lifespan to humans, and just as somone 31 would be nearly a third of their lifespan (at least human) a Sym would be just over that mark.

4. I do not believe the venom would carry its potency if one was to farm it as it were, but I am not sure on that one.

5. I think it would depend on the potency of the venom. For instance it would be easier for a Sym to cut away the skin and merely liquefy the muscle and tissues of an animal, but let's say this Sym has been starving for over a week, their venom is much more potent and acidic at this point, and could surely liquify the hide in order to ensure the Sym was able to reach the contents of their meal all the quicker.

6. Using your claws in combat would fall under unarmed combat or brawling as a skill, the higher you are in either of this the better those deadly weapons can be used.

7. In theory yes, though directly defying gravity might be more taxing on the Sym than simply climbing a tree.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)