Flashback (Kallian) Breed all about it

One shouldn't daydream in the Sea. You never know what may find you.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

(Kallian) Breed all about it

Postby Delani Denusk on May 31st, 2013, 10:40 pm

Timestamp- Summer 10, 508

Summer was at just beginning, but boy was it hot. The not quite thirty year old was in a clearing, her falx layed in the grass behind her as she rubbed a brush across her Striders flank. The older mare flicked her head on occasion, the long face waving excitedly at the herd they were near and a hoof pawing up dirt as her rider groomed away the sweat from the ride.

Laughing, Delani paused with one hand on the stripe down the pretty mounts back and looked towards the nodding head. "Hold on, hold on, I'm nearly done, old girl. Let me finish your tail then you can go." The herd wasn't far from the city today, grazing in short plains grass with four scouts overlooking them, though this did not include the older woman. She was there to let the mare be with the herd.

The Striders sides twitched with each touch from the Drykas and her excitement and impatience were palpable as Dela hurried to finish brushing out burrs from the sleek tail. "There you go, my friend. Now go on." She gave the mares hip a gentle touch of encouragement and watched her go. The horse was only 19, a bit past her prime for breeding, but Dela could not deny seeing the mare's rampant desire this year. She could live without the horse for six or so months, make do riding one of the non-striders. It would do her horse good and give herself some knowledge about carrying for a pregnant mare.

Immediately upon completion of the brush down, the mare reared partly off the ground and whinnied happily, surging forwards afterwards to merge with the herd seamlessly, Dela watching this from the sidelines with a patient smile. She'd already spoken with one of the master horsemen in one of the other clans about what to do if and when her own foaled and was excited to learn more (even the specifics). All things great and small simply fascinated her; it was no surprise that Dela would one day take an interest in breeding and birth.

Ironically, the same did not hold true to the womans romantic life. A quite mature dame by Drykas standards, she had all but shunned most attempts at courtship, preferring her pursuit of knowledge to the pursuit of a partner, children, or love. There was one, however...

Her mind drifted to Ahanu as she sat back in the grass again and layed the brush aside, watching the undulates do their free dance. He was a handsome man, only a few years older than herself, with dark, rust-streaked hair. One side of his head had been shaved smooth while the other side had been braided into corn rows along the scalp. The rest of the shoulder-length hair was contained within five beaded braids, the patterns symbolizing his status as a lead scout for his own pavilion. His pale eyes and whimsical attitude were his most alluring features to Delani and she wondered what it might be like to be lost in them.

~If he asked, I would wed him, I think. He is intelligent and understanding and would not allow the failure of learning. His eyes are so entrancing, though...They almost remind me of fathers. Yes, I think if he asked, I would wed him.~ As she sat there, a little smile crossed her face, fingers arching in the grass and feet crossing in front of her. ~And bed him. He's far too charming for his own good~ And she respected him greatly. The other women who might have shown interest in such a man could not get around why he saw Delani as attractive. She, too, had a farsighted nature, looking beyond the here and now to what could be known and experienced. His was one more interested in adventure; hers in simply knowing.

She was so lost in her thoughts by now, eyes on the horses, that the rest of the world was tuned out, missing from the thoughts drifting through her conscious mind and leaving her face relatively absent but for that almost dreamy smile.
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Words: 187725
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on June 5th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Adrenaline surged through Kallian and her laughter filled the air. To describe her activity as riding would be incorrect; if anything, she was flying. She rode atop her own young mare, Allyria, and felt as if she was one with her companion.

She had left the yvas in her family tent and clutched to her horse as she rode bareback. It was hot and Kallian knew both she and her strider were sweating, but their speed and jumps kept them cool. She felt as if she was the wind and Allyria beneath her was the coming of a storm. Her hooves thundered against the ground, her breathing was strong.

Every so often Kallian would come out into the grasses and ‘stretch’ with Allyria. She would practice with her bow in the morning, find her companion, and set out to essentially circle Endrykas with as much speed as possible. They ran together as one, two souls combined; when Allyria tired, Kallian would return to her home feeling alive with electricity and the strider would run to the herd to graze and relax.

Their laps were finished for the day, as Kallian could feel her companion slow. She brought a hand to the muscular neck and stroked.

“You are thunder,” she laughed. “But even storms need to rest. Here.”

Kallian lifted a leg and dropped from her horse, grinning at the broad figure. Allyria was gorgeous, at least to her companion. She was a deep brown, nearly red in color with a long black mane. A white strip lay between her brows. Large eyes, dark and intelligent, gazed at Kallian, waiting for her leave.

The rider smiled and stepped aside, gesturing to the herd. Allyria took off with a brisk excitement. Laughing, Kallian brought her arms up and stretched before glancing around the grasses. Her gaze stopped and rested on a lone woman sitting about twenty yards away. She was watching the horses by herself, though was obviously not a scout.

Approaching, Kallian rose a hand in a wave.

“Hey there!”
Kallian Windrunner
Warrior of the Diamond Clan

Words: 27928
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2013, 2:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Delani Denusk on June 6th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Delani jerked in surprise when a voice interrupted her thoughts. She sat up quickly and looked towards the owner only to spot another Drykas, sending her own Strider off to the herd Dela had been observing. "Oh, hi!" She said with a friendly enough smile. "Beautiful mare you have there. I bet she's quick with legs like those." The older woman nodded after Allyria appraisingly, and further trying not to appear totally self-absorbed right that moment. Getting lost in your own head could have some pretty dire consequences!

The woman continued. "What brings you out to the herd?" She waved her hand to her side as well, offering a seat of the other wished to join her. "Entertainment or business?" That was a funny question, but could easily be understood when watching the horses do their dance. The stallions were in full rut by now, boxing with others for championship of the mares. The four year olds that couldn't contend boxed too, though the fights were purely for sport, strengthening themselves for when they were truly ready to take on the lead stallions for a claim at mares.

OOCI do apologize for the shortness; I was running a bit empty on inspiration this round :(
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on June 9th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Kallian glanced back at her strider galloping off before returning her gaze on the older woman, mouth wide in a smile. She nodded in agreement as she closed the distance between herself and the unknown Drykas sitting in the grass. "She definitely is fast. We do this every few days. We run laps around the city before she goes to the herd and I head home. She does all the running, but I swear I feel just as tired."

Laughing, she knelt next to the woman before sitting, avoiding an invitation altogether. They were one people. And, well, to be fair, Kallian was sort of brash and did not think too much of social expectations. She looked at the woman, though, as politely as she could. She did not recognize her face, though could see hints of love; it was no wonder she was watching the herd. This woman was head over heels for the horses.

Kallian was as well, but in a different way. Allyria was an extension of her being, her way of flying over the grasses and worshiping the wind. Whenever she rode, she felt as though Zulrav was blessing her with speed. The hurricane mark on her back came alive and pulsed and she felt an overwhelming rush of adrenaline. The striders, beautiful and intelligent, gave her a way to ride the wind.

She did not know why this woman sat in the grasses watching, but had a clue when business was mentioned.

"Oh, entertainment," she replied. "Allyria likes to join the herd after we run. Maybe she wants to mate and thinks the exercise will help. I'm not sure. I just let her do what she wants." Kallian gave a sheepish grin. "You? Do you have a strider in there somewhere?"

OOCIt's okay! c: I'm kinda the same way right now, haha.
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Delani Denusk on June 10th, 2013, 1:26 am

"That is good exercise for her. Allyria, yes?" She echoed, making certain she'd pronounced it correctly as she watched the mare blend into the herd. "It will keep her legs and heart strong to fly when the need is there."

The love the other saw on the wisened face was for a great many things, though only two shone present at this time, one the lass beside her had already decided upon. The other would ever remain withheld. A secret longing that could not be expressed and could not fully be explored. Then again, that longing was not nearly as secret as others believed it to be. How could one hide the passion for knowledge? To know was bliss for the near thirty year old! Not even flying through the grass upon her strider could compare.

Laughing a little when the girl blushed at her own dictation, Delani added, "It's alright; we love them. It is the least we may do to let them do what they love too. For all their devotion to us, and ours to them, they are still horses and long for the bond of the herd which we as humans cannot fully provide. It is a relationship that we can limitedly mimic, and that is all. There-" Dela signed off to the herd where a beautiful, rust buckskin mare was currently being courted by a towering black stallion with flecks of white upong his haunches, as though someone had dusted him in flour and missed his flanks when brushing. His nose was grey, further adding to the illusion of a child who's been caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

"The mare is mine, Delani. She is my business and my entertainment. She's in season and showed an interest in breeding this year, though I wonder if she'll foal from it or not. She's an older one." And quite a bit, judging by the hints of grey hairs around that strong snout. "But if she does, she will make a fine mother for she is as wise and sure footed as any I have seen in the herd. Look."

The mare was nodding her head ferociously, her tail whipping and hind feet bucking at the ebony brute who tried to mount her. He was clearly not the one for her.

"As for the entertainment," Dela turned to look upon the girl. "That depends on your understanding of it. See, I am a lover of knowledge, and this season I have chosen horse breeding to explore since yon dame wishes to mate. What better time to fuel such interest as when my friend wants to continue the line of Striders?"
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on June 19th, 2013, 2:18 am

Kallian sat in the grass and watched the woman curiously, eyes searching and ears open. How she spoke, how she sat; she was an older Drykas, beyond the youth she felt surge through her own body. But there was something to her, something fresh. The way she looked out into the herd. She pointed and Kallian let her eyes settle on a beautiful mare.

“Older?” asked the younger girl. She brought a hand up to her brow to shield her eyes from the sun. It was difficult to see the signs, at least for her. Kallian loved her strider and felt as though Allyria was a piece of her soul. To say these things did not interest her should not be taken as a slight against the horses; she was just more interested in making sure they were strong and healthy in the present. This was done by proper feeding and exercise. That was all she knew. Any other information was lost on her: how to tell age, how to breed.

But now it was obvious why this Drykas sat watching the herd: her mare was in heat. Kallian watched as the woman’s strider struck at a towering suitor. Blue-green eyes moved to find Allyria in the sea of horse tails. She found her and watched, biting her lip. Would her strider want to mate? She could only assume so… it would be selfish to keep her away from the herd. What horse would she ride while she carried a colt or foal? No other could fly like her.

Realizing she had been lost in thought, Kallian quickly opened her ears.

“That’s true,” she replied. “I could definitely understand the desire to learn… I just couldn’t imagine riding any other horse while she was pregnant.” Pausing for a moment, she turned her head and looked at the woman.

“I’m Kallian, by the way. Daughter of the Windrunner Pavilion of the Diamond Clan.” Another pause. “What if battle called? Who else could I ride?”
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Delani Denusk on June 19th, 2013, 11:33 am

"Ah, but I would not mind. It is important that the lines continue; the horses know this as much as the clans do. If they do not mate, the lines will not go on, no new horses for the next generation would be had, no new pride for the drykas to watch over and preen and love. Look." She nodded again as a second suitor approached, bobbing his great head at the inky male which had accosted her Delani. He had a fine white stripe down his face with a blonde and brown mane that accented his rust coat beautifully. All four feet had been dipped in ink, giving the powerful hooves beneath it the look of shimmering tar. His teeth were bared and even from here they could hear the neighs of combat at the two competing stallions reared and kicked with their front legs for championship of the mare in question.

"Hmhm, I think she is toying with them." Delani remarked with a laugh and shake of her head. "See? Already she flirts with another; silly old girl, doesn't she know not to play with the boys hearts?" There was a great fondness in the older womans eyes as she watched them in their antics. "She will give them a complex!" Turning her head towards Kallian now, the woman smiled and signed a greeting in return.

"A pleasure, Kallian. I am Delani of Denusk of Sapphire." She offered as introduction. "But I would not let yourself fret; if your friend is not ready, she will not be courted. And even if she were, it would be no consequence to be carried by another horse; I believe it would be an honor to ride another until Delani is ready to fly again for I know the importance of the lines continuance over the preference of riding her. This will be her first and likely last foal, if it takes and such experience she has, Kallian...Oh the stories they would tell if their nickers and neighs could but be understood."

Laughing again, Dela turned to look at the girl. "You know, we swam in Lari some years ago with a Charoda? Silly sea-boy had gotten himself entangled in some nets near the shore when I heard him. His flailing had attracted a pack of glassbeaks and we had to go a-swimming to an island! Never would have thought that ol' girl could swim so well till I saw it with my own eyes. I wonder what's become of him..." The Charoda, she meant.
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on July 13th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Kallian listened to the woman's thoughts concerning riding another horse while her companion was with child. It was not as if she did not understand or know that she should not care... but the idea of riding another seemed so strange. Sitting on the back of Allyria caused her adrenaline to shoot through the sky; the wind, the speed, her hair strewn behind her. Even hunting atop her was a truly exhilarating experience. She wished to one day be an excellent archer on horseback.

The woman pointed out her strider's wily ways with the males and giggled at the sight. She nodded, watching with her. Kallian smiled, large and cheerful. Her gaze shifted again to rest on Allyria as she grazed. No stallion had bothered her quite yet.

Delani introduced herself and assuaged Kallian's fears. "Perhaps... it would be selfish of me to not want her to mate. It would just be strange," she said, pausing. "But I suppose that would open myself up to new experiences, just as motherhood would be her own."

Kallian turned her head to watch the older woman as she told of a strange meeting with a Charoda. She tilted her head and an expression of confusion swept over her pretty features. Charoda? Charoda... what were those again? Delani said sea-boy... oh! Right. Strange creatures. She had never seen one herself, but had been told stories. The great blue frightened her. Whenever Endrykas came towards the coast, she declined to swim and fish with the others. The most she would do is sit on the sand and look out into the great beyond.

"I've never seen a Charoda," she said. "What was he like? Why was he so near the shore? Seems a little strange."
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Delani Denusk on July 14th, 2013, 3:14 am

"Goodness, he was a great deal more than near the shore. The young fool was actually walking, WALKING, to Riverfall. I think he said something about his family, if I recall, but it's been quite a number of years." Dela began, closing her eyes a bit in reflection. "She and I were supposed to be hauling nets. The clans were near Lari lake at the time and some had dropped fishing nets. Perhaps fortunately for us, we had decided to enjoy the beauty of the day by relaxing in a clearing. Pulling in the catch wouldn't have taken long to begin with so what more had I to do that day?"

"Really, though, he is not one I would like to judge the race by for he was quite jumpy and moody. I truthfully did not know what he was at first. I took a gander, though, when he started speaking in some strange tongue that sounded somewhat dreadful, to tell the truth. Made Zithanese sound beautiful!" She laughed. "I would agree that it was very strange. I escorted him back to Endrykas once that pack left the lakeshore, and he was escorted on to Riverfall from there. I'm afraid I don't quite recall his name; it was about fourteen years past I think..." Dela shrugged dismissively again and plucked a handful of grass from between them.

"So, Kallian, you are of Diamond. Many great warriors have risen from their pavilions. My father sometimes jested that Denusks got their spirit from Diamond Clan, but I wonder at the truth. I never knew of my grandsire of either mother or father and his brothers, but I would not be surprised if some of the war-blood runs in our veins. Perhaps it is that which gives us our perseverance." She again shrugged in that conversational way.

"Tell me, know ye of any stormwardens? I never had such a privilege to train with one when I was younger, but the wind-brothers have always been fascinating. Zulrav has a liking for them."
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on July 16th, 2013, 12:42 am

"Walking?" she said, surprised. "Very weird." Kallian listened, eyes glittering with interest. This woman had seen something different, something... new. A desire crept through her stomach. She wished she had been there with Delani that day. "I wonder what he spoke? Probably his people's language... I wonder how it would sound underneath the water..."

Once again, her thoughts turned to the sea. She shivered.

"Mm," she nodded. "I am very grateful to have been born in the Diamond clan. The idea of protecting our lands and fighting for my family is definitely... I don't know, just great." She paused. "I've always wanted to fulfill the duties of the other clans, though. The Emerald clan has such skilled hunters. I think of myself as a ranger, but I'm really just a clumsy warrior." Kallian gave a sheepish grin. "The Sapphire clan is highly reputed, I think. The webbers... I can't even begin to think of how to do that sort of magic."

Stretching, she relaxed into the grass slightly until she heard Delani speak of the stormwardens. At that, she gave an excited nod. Still youthful, still overly ecstatic.

"I was always fascinated too," she said, smile wide. "Last summer, a very large storm approached... I always used to go out before they would hit us and sit. I loved the smell, the feeling of it. It's... as stupid as it sounds, electrifying." She bent the knee of her right leg, bringing her foot to rest on the ground. "That was how I showed my respect. Just go out and sit before He would test us."

She paused, eyes looking back at the herd. "Last summer, I went out like I always did right before a huge storm hit. And He approached me and I asked to serve."

Sitting up, Kallian lifted her hair. The low back of her shirt fell to her mid-back, giving a clear view of the hurricane mark that rested between her shoulderblades. She tilted her front away from Delani so as to give her a clear view. Though she only had the first touch of the god, it was beautiful. Blues and silvers swirled together in a dancing storm. The mark was warm, comforting; Kallian felt a humble sense of pride as she showed it to the woman.
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Next