Vadim's questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Vadim's questions

Postby Vadim on July 8th, 2010, 11:56 pm

I imagine I'm going to have a few questions over the course of role playing here so let me start off with a few that have been really getting to me.

How do flashback threads work? I know it's a very broad question but from what I've gathered player's are allowed to go back into their character's past and relay the events that occurred. Do you ask for a moderator to then check it and give appropriate skills/loot? If that is the case is there a minimum limit to its length or is it until completion?

Following up on that question I ask; when should you ask for a storyteller's assistance with a thread? Most threads I see are interactions between people, but some are heavily influenced by the events of a storyteller. When is this appropriate and when are players allowed to create the events themselves?

Next, when starting a thread I'm confused as to how time stamping works. I read that it coordinates with our date, so is there somewhere on the forum that has our date, and the date of Mizahar?
Vadim
Player

Words: 19938
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2010, 6:03 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Vadim's questions

Postby Gossamer on July 9th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Hey Vadim-

Flashbacks are threads that occur prior to the season your character started. So, in your case since your starting Summer 510 AV, you can flashback anywhere from Spring 510 AV backwards. You do not need moderator permission to do so nor do you need to interact with a moderator. What you will need is a storyteller to award you XP and approve of any loot as you put it. :) But that's the same for any threads that are not flashbacks. You can write flashbacks with others as well if you time them correctly. There is no minimum length but remember, the more you write or the more material you pack into the posts, the more its worth in the long run up to 5 xp.

You should ask a storyteller to help in any case where there might be conflict between to players that can't be worked out fairly between the two players or wherein the character gains something that might give them an advantage in game play. Basically if you want to fight off ten bandits single handedly, just so you don't look ridiculous or godlike, I'd ask a storyteller to help. All God interactions must be supervised by a DS or a Founder. Pretty much everything else is on a need to know basis.

If you'd like a storyteller to help you with a thread, just ask. The worse they can say is no or 'I'm really swamped right now, if I wrap some threads up sure I'll write one with you. The player can influence and write events themselves, sure, but if they are impacting the game as a whole a storyteller must be involved.

Timestamping. Please read the Timestamping and the Calendar wiki entry. We play Mizahar according to real life. Basically you get a three month chunk of time aka 90ish days to play with before the 'season' changes and you have to finish old threads and start new ones. Currently its Summer 510 AV... and you have until Sept to use 90 days of fluid time before the Season Change. After the season change you must post in the new season.

* Spring - March April May - Green Watchstone
* Summer - June July August - Yellow Watchstone
* Fall - Sept Oct Nov - Red Watchstone
* Winter - Dec Jan Feb - Blue Watchstone

Anyhow, enjoy and I hope that helps.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)