Flashback The Two Ladies with one book(Philomenna)

Philomenna meets the silent girl, Elaine at the library

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Two Ladies with one book(Philomenna)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 4th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Spring 30, AV 510 [Wright Memorial Library]

Another usual day. Her mother was teaching and she brought Elaine too. She stepped in and was always amazed by the library. Big shelfs which contained nearly every knowledge. And the sounds was a music for her too. Silent. She enjoyed it. It was gentle and calm to Elaine. She walked in. Walking around the shelfs like she was checking everything was in order. Wonderful. She now could choose a book to read. She touched everycover gently then she randomly pulled out one.

She looked at it. It was about Gods and Goddesses. She was never really a religious person. Althought she didn't know much about them. Maybe she will find one who she will like this time. Elaine walked to a window and looked out. Everything was noise outside and busy. She rather didn't bother herself with it she took a seat near the window and openned the book. She always had some chill when she oppened it. The excitiment what will she read, and the scent of a book. She could smell it with her nose.

She quickly turned the pages. Didn't read all of it she was searching. She already found one. The Moon, Leth. Also the god of thoughts and change. Interesting, she always watched it at the night but never knew that the Moon was a god with the sun. Brother of the goddess of Death. She started to turn pages again. And there was it. Dira the goddess of death. She started to read about her deeply forgot the library, the world around her.
Elaine Spade
Player

Words: 166350
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Philomena on June 5th, 2013, 11:23 am

Minnie adjusted the scarf at her neck, and sighed, softly: a comforted sigh. It had been a difficult morning: she had woken to do her morning oblations to Qalaya, and begun to write her morning prayers. The morning was usually a simple time, perhaps recoding a dream (today she could remember none from the night before), perhaps discussing a problem she had been unravelling in her sleep. The entries were short, for in the morning, she recorded only about herself, and she did not consider herself much of a story.

But this morning, when she woke, there had been a strange moment, rolling over, before her glasses were on, when her bolster had been crumpled just so under a yellow woolen blanket, and her mind, half-starved for sleep, and confused at the infusions of Spring light through the window pane, had grasped and though: "Lanie".

It had been only an instant's impression, for immediately, she knew it was wrong, but that thrill and fear, and need, of that one moment, those had been strong enough. She'd risen quickly, her breath coming fast in her chest beneath the white nightgown, and sat on the edge of her bed, her back shaking a little.

If she had not been so practiced in her love for Qalaya, she would not have written it down at all - she would have crashed her mind into the day's work, and forgotten about it as best she could. But she knew better. A story, even a small, stupid story like her own, had to tell the moments that were most difficult to write. So she rose, and shakily lit the spermaceti taper, prayed quietly to Qalaya, and sobbed for a full bell, as she interred the finest details of the situation into her notebook.

Even now, the impression was not fully gone. She had gone, in the morning, to sell the yellow blanket to an old-clothes man, and buy a green one instead - she had considered white, but it was too close a shade, and she paid the extra to never be frightened that the situation would repeat itself. And then, she had set to work. She saw a student for Seminar, droning shaky-lipped to him about the evolution of meter in the 5th century. She went to the sailor's quarter, and chased down a lead on possibly living family members of one of the sailors on the Circumnavigation - it had ended up being a false lead, which she'd expected ahead of time, but one still had to check.

And now? She told herself she was going to the library to double check some references for an upcoming lecture. In truth? She was going to the library, because she needed to go to the library. It was too late in the morning to see Mara without disturbing her work, but it was not too late, to drift quietly down the rows and look at the volumes upon volumes of kindly books. She took up one from the religious section - "On the Dream Theology: A Study of the Second Century Theological Work of Torres di Cantino." Then turned to go toward the chairs she knew sat beneath the window there - this book was not terrifically rare, she could afford to read in the comforting warmth of the filtered sun.

And then, she looked, and there were the chairs, but a small girl sat in one, a heavy book opened in her lap. A Book of Gods, she guessed from the format, intended as a primer to theology students. She did not recognize the particular volume. She slid quietly into a chair just across from the little girl, and opened her book, hushed.

But her eyes kept straying. A tiny girl, really, with those wide hollow eyes. Is this what she had looked like, as a girl, here in this library, pulling books into her lap too heavy for her to really understand? No. No she had not been so clean and pretty. But still, the girl fascinated Minnie's eye, the juxtaposition of her girlhood, and the divinity she read in her lap.

"Dira... Dira. Hmm." the words crawled out of Minnie's throat, nasal and grating in her not entirely pleasant voice, before she realized she had translated thought into speech. She heard the words in her ears, and recognized she had spoken them and blushed, "I'm... sorry... I am interrupting."

x
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 6th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Elaine couldn't help, she was amazed by the goddess. She is guiding the souls, those who died. She even has a city named Black Rock. Elaine was reading and getting knowledge about her when a woman appeared. She looked up at her. She was much much older than her maybe around her mother's age. She closed the book she was reading. Indeed Minnie was interrupting her she didn't like that. She took the book down to the chair and she stood up. She adjusted her white blouse and she wiped her long black skirt with her hands a bit. Then she finally talked to her.

"...Yes...Good morning, Miss! My name is Elaine Spade. What would you like from me?" She introduced herself politely. First things as she was taught by her parents. She didn't forget that. Say hello and tell your name. One of the ethic's rules she was following. She was rather continue reading than talking to that weird lady. Actually she didn't know if the lady was weird but nearly everyone was odd to her. As everyone saw her as an odd little lady too. The Silent Lady. She sighed and took the book again. Maybe Minnie wanted to read it. She was handing the book to her.

"Would you like to read it? The library is full of wonderful stories... I can find another one for myself.. It really doesn't matter."It did matter to her but she could always come back and read more. She was also wondering if the woman knew anything about the gods and goddesses. Without thinking she asked her. "Do you know anything about Dira? Or any other gods and goddesses?" She was looking at the woman with so empty eyes but the curiosity was shining in her eyes. She couldn't really handle to talk to anyone. Or to strangers.

In everything she was depending on her parents and the books. She couldn't do anything on her own she always needed somebody who guided her. Ethics, speaking, actions. She didn't really want to deal with these things but they were part of the life. Only the books and silence could make her forget. A new world she could step in. How pathetic, such a poor little girl. And in her head. A voice. It's scary... and sometimes she was whispering to her. She had to sit down as she was even thinking about it. But the best she could do is not think about it. Her face was showing nothing. No emotion. Nothing. Could a little a girl be like that?
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Philomena on June 6th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Minnie blushed, as the little girl looked at her. Perhaps it was her size - not much larger than the child, after all. Perhaps it was her own clumsy attempt at childhood and its multitude of failings. Or her clumsy, intense love for the children she had cared for... all gone now. All gone away. But the way of being with a child made her feel small, and weak, and she squeezed back, just slightly in her chair, blushing in the way a nine year old might when caught snitching biscuits.

The girl spoke in a soft, calm voice, with none of the clumsy ease of a child. So polite and measured, well-taught. It left Minnie feeling smaller to her, inferior. She tried to respond, her voice did not quite come right away, and by the time it was ready, she had only risen her hands apologetically, and the girl was on to her next question.

The professor in Minnie Lefting stammered, fell back, the woman, always timid and worn, shivered behind a wall, this left only the child, clumsy, and confused. She spoke, and sounded for all the world again, like a street urchin.

"Dira... Dira, she's the Death mum. Last mummy, just right a' th'end. Lanie tried ter worship her, but she dinny know how, we wrote stories about her..." Minnie blushed, pulled her tongue back into her mouth. Closed her eyes for three slow breaths, tried again, reopening them.

"You 'ave... you 'ave read the Diralines? They are poems, I read 'em first when I were nine winters old. I dunny nae know sae much o' the real things, of powers and histories, on the Dira-Mother, but the poems... I... I know..."

She coughed, cleared her throat almost apologetically, one of her hands going to her neck line, to to twist and squeeze a single point of it fidgetingly. The other hand pushed up her heavy spectacles, intensifying the owlish width of her eyes beneath them.
x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 7th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Elaine was confused a bit. The woman was weird to her but she looked sick to her. She slightly understood what she said but there was something with her. Odd or not she should offer help at least. "Madam, are you ill? Your face is red a bit too. Need to take you where you can sleep?" It was a bit uncomfortable. The woman even could infect her. Although she didn't care. Maybe because she wasn't even sure that if she was really ill. Or maybe because she wasn't looking at her like she is THE SILENT LADY. Only a girl who just likes to read.

And Philomenna looked as a woman who tends to read a lot. At leats she seemed so to Elaine. But she didn't even know her name. "What is your name if I may ask? " She wasn't really sure how to deal with this situation. It was awkward and wonderful at the same time. She didn't know how to deal with people since they all thought she is a weirdo. So she didn't even try. That's why she had problem now.

She was 'playing' with her skirt. "Do you often read poems and stories?" She asked. Elaine was swinging her legs now. Why was it that hard to speak? Why was there some kind of awkward moment? She knew... she couldn't learn these from her parents or from books... she had to experience it.
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Philomena on June 10th, 2013, 2:35 am

Minnie frowned, wrinkled her brow confusedly. Had she not introduced herself? She blushed at overlooking so simple.

"I am... very sorry..."

She stood, almost solemn, and curtsied. To an eye that was unfamiliar with curtsies it was a remarkably formal gesture, and to one that new them well, it was a rather graceless one. Minnie creaked into it like someone who doesn't know what they are doing. She stood again straight.

"I'm Doctor Lefting, I'm vurry sorry. I work at... at here. Not... not here, but here, the University, I teach lit'richer. I ... I read poems... all the time. Yes. I am... yes. Yes, I do...I read them very often. Do you... have a name?"

She blushed at the stupidity of the question. Of course the girl had a name. All girls had a name. She probably had two names. Two of her own names, instead of stupiid made up ones. Minnie looked down at her feet, and felt frowned, wrinkling her brow, considering the best means of appearing less stupid.

//Aye Minnie Lefting, you might well consider, you idiot gutterslut. Canny even talk to a little girl. I'm sure she's demmed impressed with you, professor who Canny even talk. Look for a way out, let the poor thing go find someone better to talk to.//

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 12th, 2013, 4:33 pm

Elaine was confused by the lady. She already gave her name. She really thought now she was ill. She didn't know what to say. She however told her name again. Let's start all over maybe. But she had time... and she was odd as the others saw her anyway."Are you really not ill Ma'am? As I said before I'm Elaine Spade. They also calm The Silent Lady... But I prefer Elaine..."

The fact that Minnie was a teacher light her curiosity on. And she was amazed too. And literature teacher. She wanted to get know about Philomenna and about poems. Finally somebody who she could share her interest. " And do you write poems? What kind of poems you like? My mom is a teacher in the university too?" Elaine was asking so suddenly. Like a little child.

She was so excited and she saw some familiar students were looking at them. She didn't mind she got used to it. She wanted to get know about Minnie. She put out the book of the gods and goddesses and was holding to Minnie. " Do you like gods? Do you have faith to a god or goddess?" She was still holding so Minnie could show. She was so fast and didn't know what to ask or say first.
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Philomena on June 15th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Minnie, a little intimidated already, shrank a bit under the questions, an excitement at someone - the age of someone being irrelevant - taking an interest in her mixing with a mild sureness she'd make an ass of herself somehow. She shrunk back a little, blushed, but then swallowed trying to answer, and struggling with where to start.

"Elaine Spade. Dr. Spade... a Dr. Spade... do I know... poems. Write.. Write... a little, but ... no, yes... poems... I like... Kenabelle Wright, but she ..."

Minnie squeezed the spot on her neckline harder, and closed her eyes. Calm. Breaths. She quietly took her free hand, and slid a finger subtly throguh the buttons of her blouse at her bully, so she could dig the nail into the soft flesh of her belly. The sharp stab there calmed her, gave her a point of focus, and she breathed, slow, in, out.

"Sorry... yes... I teach poetry, I teach a lot, but particularly the poets of the early post-valterrian are my area of poetic specialty. This si secondary, perhaps, to my work with the writings of Kenabelle Wright, I..."

Too tehnical. Move on.

"Goddess!"

She startled, the word falling out, and her face grew very still and serious.

"Oh yes. Yes, yes... yes... I... I am a Qalayan. Do you know Qalaya? She is the great mother of writing, the queen of the word, and of memory... Do you know the tale of Qalaya, Ms Spade?"
x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 19th, 2013, 12:07 pm

The woman seemed she calmed down a bit. Still her talking was messy a bit. Elaine really needed to focus to understand what was she speaking about. Qalaya. Never heard of her. As she saw Philomenna didn't really took away the book she put the big book on her lap. She openned it and started to search for Qalaya. Lhex... Dira... CAiyha... nonono. There was it. Qalaya the goddess of writing and memory. She wasn't suprised that she was Qalayan after all. Interesting. " Mrs. Spade or Ms. Spade is my mom. Please call me Elaine.... Oh and I never heard of her. I never heard of any Gods and Goddesses... I mean... So I did just only their names but didn't hear much about their tales... My father talked about Laviku but he told me about the Sea God long time ago, I can't remember anything about him. You know my father is a sailor. "

How could she hear anything from gods anyway?She never really made contacts with other people. She was too weird. And she really didn't care either about them either about the Gods. Maybe that's why she didn't pay attention about Laviku. All she remember she liked those stories. But for now she was with a teacher. And somebody who really appreciated that kind of art." My mom is a teacher here too. Maybe I said that before. She teach literature, poetry too. She taught me to read."

She was really confused now if she said something or not. It was safer to tell it twice for that woman anyway. She wanted to write poetries. She wanted to hear poetries. This woman knew as much as her mother. Finally. Isn't she just like you, Elaine? The Silent Lady frightened suddenly. What was that voice again? She tried to not pay attention to it. Maybe she was just imagining it. "Can you teach me poetries? Tell me tales too! " A little child with the desire to get knowledge.
Last edited by Elaine Spade on July 10th, 2013, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Philomena on June 23rd, 2013, 7:41 pm

The girl mentioned her mother was a poetry professor. Minnie's brow wrinkled, and she frowned. Had she already said that? A poetry professor… had the girl said her last name? Minnie blinked a few times, invoking Qalaya in the subtly blasphemous way one might if one were looking for a lost knick-knack. Spade!

Spade…

Spade…

"Doctor Merridan! Err… Spade, nee Merridan… I…" she blushed and nodded to Elaine, "I'm sorry, yes, I… I know your mother. Her work on the Shade-writers of the mid-fifth century is extraordinary, I referenced her writing in my work on depictions of death in the Wright Panegyric tradition, though my own works of course are of a later tradition and don't have the pure narrative focus that your mother admires in the pre-Circumnavigational writers, I… yes… I knew your mother before… before she was… was married, I don't do well with married names, I'm… you are her daughter? Yes, you… must be…"

Minnie shook her head, then nodded, the two gestures contrasting meaninglessly.

"Your mother… I… you are a writer? Or you want to be, I mean? Of poetry? Have you… read a great deal of it? Your mother is… is likely a better teacher than I, really, I am just a recorder, I just write what… what I learn, I… am not so creative, not an artist…"x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Next