[UNIVERSITY] Along came a mage... [Aidemma]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Dyrdas on July 17th, 2010, 8:05 pm

14th day of Summer, 510 AV

It was a warm and comfortable day when Dyrdas decided to check out the university. The kind of day when you would sit outside into the evening, sipping iced teas and the sort. He loved those days. They reminded him of evenings spent relaxing and conversing with his father after a long day of work and training. Those days were long gone now, though Dyrdas still worked towards his pursuits much as his father had taught him, though now in solitude and concealment from the Public’s eye.

Glancing quickly about himself, Dyrdas realized he had reached his destination: the University of Zeltiva. He had been once again lost in thought, standing stupidly at the entrance to the university campus. Shaking his head, Dyrdas strode through the gate. His scruffy beard drew a few stares, especially in a place of such refined learning, but he paid them no mind. He recalled his purpose in heading into the Old Quarter. He was here to find a fellow practitioner of the arcane. Not that he couldn't make due with himself, but he grew wary of practicing in solitude.

He didn’t even know if arcane pursuits were taught at the university. Yet, he was strangely hopeful. He looked around at the different buildings, hoping to find somewhere to gain a little knowledge of the university. If only there were something as simple as a visitor’s center. Dyrdas continued to wander the campus for a while, drifting into a trance as he was lost in thought. That trance was soon broken. He rounded a corner and did not see the fiery young redhead walking the opposite way, and plowed right into her. Dyrdas lost his balance and stumbled forward, before regaining it and turning to check on the unfortunate student.
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Words: 30218
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aidemma Kim on July 18th, 2010, 12:19 am

Aidemma had spent the day wandering about the campus, marveling at the buildings. They're all so old, it's remarkable. There's nothing like this place in Syliras. Feet still moving she gazed up at a series of carvings that arched over an immense doorway. Just as her eyes fell back to the path a man sprung into sight. Aidemma landed on the flagstones with a gasp. I don't seem to be having much luck here... First I fall on the docks, then someone nearly lands on me, now this. Still she gave a small smile at the tall man looking down on her, and picked herself up. "It's okay, no harm done," she said, running a thin hand back through her thick hair, pushing it from her face.

Dusting off her skirt she noticed the man had a bit of a dazed, wandering look in his eyes. "Are you looking for something sir?" she asked, not really confident in her abilities to help if he was. She was unfamiliar with the town and university herself, having only arrived two days ago. Nonetheless, Aidemma was already becoming fond of the city, the cool, open air, the winding streets, all so different from life in Stormhold Castle and her parents' bookshop.
Aidemma Kim
Player

Words: 8307
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Character sheet

Postby Dyrdas on July 18th, 2010, 1:17 am

“Well, I’m glad that you’re all right,” Dyrdas mumbled, staring seemingly dreamily at the young woman. In reality, he was reading her Aura, checking for physical injury, and also any recent magical activities. Though, as far as he could tell, she possessed no obvious arcane abilities. To make sure, he double checked her feelings, searching for signs of pain. After a moment, he was satisfied that the girl was unharmed. Dyrdas then cast a cursory glance around their immediate area, searching for lingering Djed auras. Again, his search came up negative.

He began to doubt that he would find what he searched for here in the university. Perhaps a potential brother in arms resided in another of the major settlements. Dyrdas resigned himself to the fact that any wizards in Zeltiva were likely in hiding, like himself. Not that it was illegal, but one did not exactly benefit from being accused of witchcraft by the general public. At least, he thought, He had found a potential friend.

“Well... I am looking for something, but I find it hard to explain.” Dyrdas drank in the sweet summer air, pulling thoughtfully on his scraggly beard. He sighed, contended, and turned his gaze back to the young woman at hand. “I suppose an introduction is in order,” he said kindly, offering his calloused hand. “My name is Dyrdas.” He figured that making friends would be a good thing to do in the meantime, and give him something to do other than sneak about in his magical ways. Bah, he really needed to stop ranting to himself.
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Character sheet

Postby Aidemma Kim on July 18th, 2010, 1:49 am

Aidemma felt a bit unnerved by the man's glance. It didn't seem in anyway unkind or rude to her, but she felt as though he was looking at something about her she had no inkling of. But then she blinked, and the unfocused look in the man's eyes was gone. He seemed friendly enough though. I wonder what it is he's looking for, but it doesn't seem he would enjoy being pressed to answer... Mentally shaking off the strange watched feeling Aidemma heard him give a resigned sigh as he offered his hand.

Slowly she placed a smooth hand in his much larger calloused one and shook it firmly. "A pleasure to meet you sir," she said, "My name is Aidemma Kim." A light breeze stirred the warm air about them, toying with wisps of her hair, flicking them against her cheeks. It was still quite early, the sun was just barely beginning to touch the highest spires of the mountains. It seemed too early to be heading straight home. Casting about something to talk about Aidemma said, "I'm a new student here, I've just arrived from Syliras. Do you study at the University?"

Inside she grimaced, it didn't seem like a particularly interesting start to a conversation. Perhaps the man had business to be about and didn't wish to talk to a clumsy girl anyway. Still, it would be nice to make a friend, she knew so few people in the city, talking to one more could do no harm.
Aidemma Kim
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dyrdas on July 18th, 2010, 3:23 am

“A pleasure to meet you as well, Aidemma Kim.” Dyrdas paused for a moment, listening to what Aidemma had to say. He considered his reply carefully, still indecisive about how far he could trust this girl. After a moment, he replied, “I’ve been living in and around Zeltiva for as long as I remember. As for the University, I don’t attend classes here, but I guess you could say that I study independently.” Dyrdas grinned mischievously at the last statement, his wariness beginning to wear off.

“So, how are the classes here? Which... subjects do they teach? ... Which courses do you take?” Dyrdas halted his speach for a moment, and apologized for his onslaught of questions. He wondered if she knew much about magic, though she didn’t react much when he rifled through her aura. Dyrdas began to worry less about giving away his secretive practices and decided to enjoy himself and make a new friend. All this worrying was giving him a headache, after all.

He turned his attention again to the Auras at hand, which were constantly shifting as people left and others arrived. He was careful not to focus too much on one aura, or focus on more than one and maybe two on occasion. He dropped the scanning again, looking around at their surroundings. “Perhaps, Aidemma, we should go somewhere where we could chat properly,” Dyrdas raked his mind for a place to go, but the only place that came to mind was the Kelp bar. “Say, have you any idea of where to go?”
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Character sheet

Postby Aidemma Kim on July 18th, 2010, 4:13 am

Aidemma raised an eyebrow at Dyrdas's response, he definitely hiding something from her. Of course he is though, we only just met. Waving off her curiosity Aidemma chuckled at his questions. “To be truthful I don't know how the classes are, I haven't taken any yet. Though they're supposed to be the finest education in Mizahar. And they offer nearly every subject imaginable here, at least, of those that survived the Valterrian. Many people come here to study not just the more mundane subjects; history, math and the like, but to learn magic! It's really a remarkable place,” Aidemma caught herself before she continued, realizing she still hadn't answered all his questions before beginning to babble about the school, “Oh, I'm hoping to study Anthropology and Linguistics.” It was difficult though, to not get caught up in the excitement of the place where she'd dreamed of coming.

“There's a courtyard off of one of these paths, it's not a far walk but it's a bit quieter there, with less traffic running through,” she said.

Wrinkling her nose slightly Aidemma turned in a full circle very slowly. As she turned Aidemma said spoke under her breath, “I saw it just yesterday...” When she came to a halt facing Dyrdas again the young woman sighed softly. “It really is a lovely little courtyard, if I could only remember where it is... I'm so sorry, I don't quite know my way around yet.” She thought again for a moment, rhythmically tapping a finger against her cheek. "Here, I think it's this way!" Spinning on a heel Aidemma headed toward a smaller side path to the south.

For a while they walked down a narrower road, fewer people were walking here, and the buildings seemed older. Against the limestone facade of one ivy grew thick, the green leaves rustling in a slight sea breeze. They walked on for a while more, and the pavement grew smooth once again, the street busier. Old University buildings changed to shops. Aidemma turned to Dyrdas, "It seems a bit hopeless, I don't think we're going to find it. Do you know this part of town?"
Aidemma Kim
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dyrdas on July 18th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Dyrdas surprised himself with his behavior. He didn’t normal start chatting with complete strangers just for the sake of it... but he guessed he needed a sort of “mental vacation”, away from his usual routine that consisted of: wake up, do magic, eat, practice some more magic, rest, magic, eat, magic, sleep. Rinse and repeat. Hell, he didn’t even have an outlet for all of these magical abilities he was accruing.

But, he thought, now would be a good time to take a break from all of that. “Anthropology and Linguistics, eh? Planning on becoming a historian?” Dyrdas watched as Aidemma spun in a slow circle, searching for one the university’s courtyard. Somehow, that made him doubt her familiarity with the place, but Dyrdas had nowhere in mind so he figured following her was the best thing to do.

A few moments later, his fears were confirmed. They were lost, and in a section of the Old Quarter that housed a few shops, stores and things. Rather than just head back, however, Dyrdas decided to look around. “Well, maybe there’s a cafe or someplace nearby,” he offered, taking lead and examining the various places of business as they went by. “Ah, the Old Quarter,” he mused, “No other place quite like it.”

After a while, Dyrdas spotted an old bookstore that seemed promising. He went to the store window to peek inside, and found that they had in addition to the usual rows of bookshelves small tables where patrons could sit to enjoy a book in a quiet environment. Few people were there, and most of them were either engaged in a book, or chatting, possibly the daily gossip. Turning back to Aidemma, he inquired if this shop would do.
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Character sheet