[Faction] The Arol Batae

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Faction] The Arol Batae

Postby Arlo Berakailen on July 23rd, 2013, 11:40 pm

It was just an idea for a faction that was bouncing around the insides of my head for a while. I thought it'd make for good RP fodder, and be pretty interesting, so I thought I'd share it and see what everyone else thinks! Or perhaps it just sucks :).

The concept is simple: the Arol Batae are an order of assassins. But it's a little more complicated than that.

One thing that struck me was the dual nature of assassins. On the one hand, if an assassin is too well-known, then they wouldn't be able to do their jobs very well. Like thieves, assassins really don't want fame or infamy; otherwise their target might catch wind they're nearby and that would put them on their guard, something no assassin wants.

On the other hand, if an assassin is utterly unknown, how do they get any clients? How would people know who to go to to get somebody rubbed out?

That's how I came up with the idea of the Arol Batae. They would be a very singular organization, with an extremely unique hierarchy.

At the bottom rung would be the assassins themselves. Their identities would be kept strictly secret, and they are often unaware of even other assassins of the Arol Batae. Now, as I imagine this sort of organization could only exist in Sunberth, I also assume then that the Arol Batae would acquire new "stock" for their assassins in a fairly efficient, if brutal, way. Namely, they'd go out every so often and kidnap children off the streets of the poorest quarters of Sunberth, reasoning such children are the least likely to be missed. They would then train them brutally and mercilessly, culminating in a final examination involving them assassinating their best friend or closest companion. The lesson would be simple: the Arol Batae is your only family. The Arol Batae is your only friend. Assassins have only one hard-and-fast rule: they never accept "outside" jobs, only jobs from their handlers, nor do they ever deal with clients.

The next rung up is the Handlers. These men and women are typically fairly well-to-do people, and are commonly shopkeepers, tavern bosses, spies, or information brokers during the day. They are in charge of a handful of assassins each, and are aware of anywhere from two to seven other Handlers. Their job is simple: they serve as the "face" of the Arol Batae. People go to them to make requests, and to tender payment. The client, therefore, never sees, nor ever meets, the assassin actually doing their job. As it should be. And the only hard-and-fast rule for Handlers is equally simple. They never do any dirty work themselves.

And that's it! There's no guild hall. No central headquarters. Not even any leaders. The Arol Batae's unique structure ensures it can never be fully destroyed because the loss of any single Handler cannot cripple the rest of the organization. Like a flock of geese, or a swarm of bees, their power lies in their ubiquity and amorphousness. Little goes on the Arol Batae isn't aware of. And few people can go long in Sunberth without dealing with them in some fashion.

---

So what do you guys think? Is it too weird? Do you guys have any questions for me about how the organization works? I just thought that it would be a cool concept, and a bit different from your usual assassin's guilds. Please let me know what you think! Even if you hate it :).
Arlo Berakailen
Information retained is information gained

Words: 37838
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 8:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

[Faction] The Arol Batae

Postby Gossamer on July 27th, 2013, 6:20 pm

You need HD permission for this. Assassins are touchy subjects in Miazhar since we have two or three groups already.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)