Magic help

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Magic help

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Okay I have have a few question on two different "branches" glyphing and summoning.

First glyphing,
1) do you alway have to use a scroll? Like could I make a glyph circle on the ground?

2) Can I store anything magical in a glyph?

Now summoning,
1) what is the base process of summoning a creature?

2) could I use glyphs in my circle to say if the creature breaks free my glyph will trigger and unleash the magic within?

And lastly just in case, if I were to rp my character talking in the old tongue how do I rp that?
Thanks a million
Marcus Alexander
Player

Words: 1744
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human, Mixed

Magic help

Postby Stitch on July 20th, 2010, 9:52 pm

First, glyphing! Of course, read this if you haven't. <333

1) No, you do not always have to use a scroll. It is the textbook application of glyphs, but not the sole application of glyphs. They can be affixed to items, and drawn on surfaces, so on and so forth.

2) I am not so sure what you mean. If you mean spell-wise, yes. These runes have no power of their own, but can manipulate magic from another discipline, for example storing, releasing, channeling, deflecting or confining a spell.

Next, summoning!

1) First you draw a magic circle, then you activate the magic circle. There are various types of magic circles, and they are work a bit differently, but their purpose is the same. To summon and contain the alien creature, as well as some other uses, I am sure. Activating it requires a drop of the caster's blood, as well as for the caster to know the coordinates of the planet he is summoning from. I would REALLY read this for that. Summoning is a bit hard to explain here, while keeping to short and simple. I gave a very brief and incomplete overview, best to read the article yourself.

2) Yes, you could. Glyphing is not needed, but it really helps to strengthen the circle, help contain the alien creature, etc etc.

Ancient tongue, you mean? I direct you to this article. If your character knows it, however, perhaps write the English version of the words in a font unique from your normal speech, and make a small OOC note that whatever that unique font is, is actually your character speaking the words in Ancient tongue?

Just a suggestion! Hope I helped!
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Magic help

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Thanks, to go on ur answers I asks these,

1) so I could say draw a "scroll" on the ground and place say a firebolt inside it and have it trigger when someone breaks the barrier ( e.g. Steps on it), would this work?

2) could I place a void vortex inside a "scroll"?

3) thanks that explains alot

4) so I could place a firebolt that would trigger if the creature broke the circle?
Marcus Alexander
Player

Magic help

Postby Panna Cotta on July 21st, 2010, 12:06 pm

Marcus Alexander wrote:1) so I could say draw a "scroll" on the ground and place say a firebolt inside it and have it trigger when someone breaks the barrier ( e.g. Steps on it), would this work?

Yes, you draw a glyph on a ground and infuse it with a firebolt so that it will trigger if someone steps on it. But, it's not something that new players should be immediately able to do.

2) could I place a void vortex inside a "scroll"?

Smells like something that can be accomplished at expert levels.

4) so I could place a firebolt that would trigger if the creature broke the circle?

You've got really neat magical ideas in mind, and of course these are all possible once you've got the right skills and experience. I'm saying that magic is not something that could be wielded by novices in a way as you have described, and I know I'm not alone when I say I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't mind do a bit of research on Mizahar lores. To help you get started, I'd point you to: Glyphing, which has a very detailed discussion of what you can and cannot do with the skill, and has a good guide on how you should go about learning it (see roleplaying tips). Stitch was kind enough to point you to Summoning and the Ancient Tongue. As for using the Ancient Tongue, I would also refer you to Tarot and Jilitse and even Malia. Tarot have moderated magic themed posts down in Sahova, Jilitse and Malia have a thread together where they used Nader-Canoch.

I believe that development of the Ancient Tongue is also under Tarot's wing. Development means that it's still on-going, so for the meantime play around with the words we've got in the wiki. Stitch's suggestion could be awesome, too, you know. I think that Nader-Canoch is only studied by those who are magically inclined anyway, and have only seen it used for magical spells and not a conversation.

Hope this helped :)
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Magic help

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 21st, 2010, 7:44 pm

understand that only upper level ppl could do this, just want to make sure it was possible before I rped to get the xp and then some one says I can't do this. But thanks a ton for ur help, both of u
Marcus Alexander
Player