Mostly Akalak Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Mostly Akalak Questions

Postby Kashan on July 30th, 2013, 3:05 pm

I have some (possibly stupid) questions that I would love to get answered.

1. The wiki says "One personality usually dominates their actions with the other lurking just beneath the surface". Does this mean that their thoughts and actions are consistent with the more prominent personality with only a slight influence from the less prominent one or is it possible for the less prominent personality to wrestle control away from the more prominent one sometimes and then the Akalak's thoughts and actions are more in line with this one?

2. I think I read somewhere that an Akalak can choose only to reveal one part of his soul to someone if he wants. Did I read this or imagine this because I can't find a reference to it?
If I did read it is there a third consciosness that decides which part is shown to the other person

3. I think Goss said in her vlog that a persons Lakan goes dull when that person dies and it is unusable as a weapon. Does a useful one need to be kept sharp and maintained as a normal weapon would?

4. The wiki says that it is basically impossible for someone to set foot in Cyphrus without the Drykas knowing and investigating. Do they investigate everyone apart from, say, trade caravans. How would one of these encounters play out?

5. It has been said somewhere (http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic17506.html) that Akalak aren't evil. Is this set in stone? Is it possible that the darker half of the soul can be considered evil?

6. When do Akalak begin to reproduce?

Thank you very much.
Kashan
Player

Words: 6711
Joined roleplay: July 26th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Mostly Akalak Questions

Postby Gossamer on July 30th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Hi there.

I can answer some of these questions.

1. In a perfect world, an Akalak pc has a perfect blend of both personalities. Meaning one can move forward and backwards in dominance at any given time so its a great deal like carrying on a conversation (if you say are speaking with one) with two people speaking out of one mouth. That is what they STRIVE for. Unfortunately it takes a normal Akalak fifty to a hundred years to achieve this unless they are extraordinarily balanced. The ones that never achieve this are usually destined to be Cerulean and considered permanently unbalanced. If something is wrong with one personality (extremely violent, crazy, etc) they are usually killed or tattoo'd early.

2. This is true, but its incredibly hard for them to remain in one state long. So if they spend a lot of time with a person, its really difficult for that person not to see the other personality. For instance, its not uncommon for one personality to date one specific woman and the other to date a totally different female. One personality can have one set of friends, and the other a completely different set of friends. Fortunately in Akalak society these situations tend to work out because most of the other Akalaks are in the same situation.

3. All weapons need to be kept sharp and maintained. But if a person who's Lakan was crafted from dies, it becomes useless yes. But that uselessness is simply its ability for its crafter to find it anywhere. Remember, Lakans are made to be gifted to the people Akalaks care about so they act as something of a tracking device. Those makers can find those bearers anywhere. So if someone in Akalak society gifts you with a Lakan, you accept it and you wear it everywhere whether you can use it or not. It's a sign of prestige. Some women, for example, carry multiple Lakans to show how much they are revered by multiple men.

4. This is true. They would check you out from a distance at first... you don't even have to see them for the Drykas to now you are there. If you are say Akalak and belong there, they leave you alone. If you are Zith or Sym they tend to kill you. If you are a caravan they will come greet you, perhaps trade, etc. The Watch does the monitoring and investigating. But their riders are few and far between so you might not see anyone, but they will have definitely checked you out from a distance. They can view along the web for hundreds of miles.

5. They aren't evil, no. They are the children of Gods and keep themselves at a higher level. Anyone pure evil in their society or turned evil while still in Riverfall would be executed. Akalak are incredibly honorable long-lived and complex people. Some of them are incredibly violent too. But they aren't evil. Wysar and Akajia would take a direct role in something like that happening.

6. They can start reproducing in their late twenties, much like an occasional early teen or preteen can get pregnant or make someone pregnant in human society. They most likely don't start actively trying for sons until their thirties on up. More children means more ranks in Akalak society... not only for themselves but for their fathers.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Mostly Akalak Questions

Postby Kashan on July 31st, 2013, 10:39 am

Thanks a million.

Just one thing:

Gossamer wrote:They are the children of Gods and keep themselves at a higher level.

Do they believe that they are at a higher level? Do they consider themselves better then other races?
Kashan
Player

Words: 6711
Joined roleplay: July 26th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet