Solo In Service of the Dead

Ronas Dermir is in Sahova to serve. But will the Nuits accept him?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

In Service of the Dead

Postby Ronas Dermir on August 10th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Season of Summer, Day 40, 513 AV

Ronas Dermir's eyes shot open at crack of dawn. Like every other day he dressed himself, with the precise and mechanical motions of a well-oiled military machine. It was just another day. His room in the Quarters were small, but sufficient for a man of his needs. The bare necessities of survival. Anything else is a distraction.

Judgment they called it. Ronas turned the word over in his mind. To him, judgment came when a commander found fault in how he performed in his duties, or if he was neglectful or undisciplined. This was a different form of judgment, one which he was not familiar with. It mattered little. He was here to serve, regardless of their judgment.

Getting down on his knees, Ronas closed his eyes, his massive imposing frame relaxing as he prayed to Wysar, God of Discipline, for the strength he would need for the coming trial.

"Wysar, Lord of Duty, I pray with the rising sun
Grant me the discipline I need to do what must be done."

Ronas bowed his head as he tried to clear his mind of all distractions. This was not a time for doubt, or hesitation. Either the nuits would accept his offer, or they would reject it. At this point, it was out of his hands. Prayer finished, Ronas stood back up, eyes glinting. It was time.

Before he left, Ronas grabbed some charcoal. He would need all the help he could get. Slowly, ever-so-slowly, he drew upon his palm. It was critical that he got this right, a glyph that could help him concentrate his power. Voiding was dangerous at the best of times, and anything he could do to make it easier for himself, he should do.

The glyph began to take shape, a simple but effective marking that would aid in his ability to concentrate and direct a void portal. Ronas' brow furrowed as he traced the charcoal, making sure that the lines were straight and the curves were right. This had to be right. There was no margin for error. Once he was done, Ronas quickly grabbing Equalizer and gently slid it into its scabbard. Unlike most of his other actions, this one was more ... deliberate. Equalizer had been his companion for many years and deserved that level of respect. Looking over the sparse room, Ronas nodded once, and strode out the door.

Ronas strode purposefully toward the lecture hall. He knew the dead were watching him with critical eyes. What was this living thing doing amongst their number? He could hear whispers in the dark, as they hurled half-heard insults his way. How dare he present himself to the council? Ronas ignored these whispers. They were not the council. They were not his commanders. He owed no allegiance to them. If the council should choose to throw him to the wolves, so to speak, he would simply have to accept that as his fate. The first duty, the only duty, was to the mission.

To that end, he waited patiently for his turn to demonstrate his skill with Voiding. It was a difficult art, and it could leave him tired at times. But it was the only magic he knew, besides a very basic understanding of Glyphing. Only time would tell if either skill would progress.

"I am Ronas Dermir, he announced, when it became his turn to demonstrate.

"Voiding is my Art. I shall demonstrate."

Ronas closed his eyes and concentrated on a spot before him. His Djed flowed into it, and he waved his arms and spoke the incantation he needed to focus it into a point of absolute nothingness. Beads of sweat appeared upon his shaved brow, but he continued nonetheless. Exhaustion was irrelevant.

For a few moments nothing happened. Ronas continued to incant, holding his palm out and concentrating. The glyph aiding in the formation, but just barely, he continued to do what he had been trained to do.

Close your eyes. Clear your mind.

Ten seconds passed. Twenty. Yet Ronas showed no signs of nervousness. When the portal opened at twenty seven seconds, it was small. Barely the size of a miza coin. Ronas concentrated on the portal, feeding it with his Djed. It steadily grew with his willpower, until it grew to around the size of a small melon. The incantation continued to repeat in his head.

He maintained the portal easily for a a few minutes, but then he could feel his Djed reserves begin to run out. It was crucial, however, to show that he had discipline. So he kept going, keeping the portal open despite the draining feeling of overgiving starting to manifest. For another two minutes he maintained the portal, until finally he felt the danger of overgiving was too great.

Ronas' hands fell to his side. Without Djed to support it, the portal to the Other Side slowly collapsed, until it simply winked out of existence. Ronas took a few moments to catch his breath and collect himself after the exertion. Then he stood, facing the judgment of the council.

"I present myself, Ronas Dermir, to your judgment," he announced. "I am here to serve as a soldier, as a weapon, to Sahova's needs. But this weapon is currently dull. I ask only that I be given the chance to sharpen, that I may better serve. I leave the rest to you."
Ronas Dermir
The first duty is to the mission

Words: 51103
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2013, 5:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

In Service of the Dead

Postby Mirage on August 10th, 2013, 6:01 pm

The five judges sat in silence as they watched Ronas. Some looked disinterested, not even bothering to watch and instead finding conversations with each other. Only one paid much attention to the goings on, and when it was completed he spoke up simply, "Your skills are sub-par at best. We have no place for Pulsers who can do no more than open the smallest of Void portals. You may leave, and return next season if you have improved even the slightest."

And with that the Judgement was over, and Ronas was dismissed. He had failed his trials, and would not serve Sahova this season. The crowds jeered, some laughed, but most paid no attention at all to the man as he passed them. Though one pair of eyes was still upon him. As Ronus exited the lecture hall he would find a man leaning against the wall next to the door. He was a man of moderate build, standing at just under 6 feet in height. His muscles bulged along his arms and back, and the way he stood showed that it was similar for the rest of his body. His hair was cut short, and a single long scar crossed from beneath his left eyebrow ending just above the corner of his lip. HIs eyes were a piercing green, fierce and strong, but the most unusual feature of his entire being was the fact that, unlike all other Pulsers that lived on Sahova he did not look the least bit worn or starved. If anything he looked at the pique of his physical fitness, and well fed.

He waited until Ronus was a few steps away before saying to his retreating back,
"The deadies rejected you did they? Figures. They don't see real potential. Not like we do." He pushed off the wall, walking closer to Ronus, arms still folded over his chest, "I heard you are a soldier. Well soldier, do you still want to serve?"
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

In Service of the Dead

Postby Ronas Dermir on August 10th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Ronas' face registered no emotion when the nuit passed judgement upon him. Nor did he appear fazed or upset when he was summarily dismissed. Was he angry? Disappointed? Insulted? If he was none of it showed. He merely gave a curt bow, turned on his heel, and silently made to leave the place, determined to improve his skills and try again next season.

That was when someone spoke up from behind him. A gruff, no-nonsense voice.

"The deadies rejected you did they? Figures. They don't see real potential. Not like we do."

Ronas stopped walking. Who was this person? What did he want? He turned slowly, his gaze taking in this stranger's healthy disposition, bulging muscles, and strong, steady gaze. He seemed like a man with discipline. Ronas respected people with discipline. He would listen.

"The dead ones rejected me because my skill was not impressive enough," he replied to this statement. It was not made in anger, or humiliation, just a statement of fact. "I cannot blame them for their decision, nor would doing so change it. The only alternative is to improve, and try again."

"I heard you are a soldier. Well soldier, do you still want to serve?"

Jorin gave this man an impassive look. He was offering him the chance to serve. But in what capacity? From the look of him, this was a fighting man, built for war and combat. If Jorin could serve in what he did best, combat, perhaps Ronas could be of use to Sahova after all.

"I am still a weapon," Ronas answered in response to the first part of the man's question. "Only the wielder has changed. Lead the way, commander," Ronas said, his voice like gravel on rock. He did not even ask who he would be serving. To him it did not matter. Someone had offered to lead, so Ronas would follow.

Because a good soldier follows orders.
Ronas Dermir

Character sheet

In Service of the Dead

Postby Mirage on August 11th, 2013, 12:14 am

The man gave a curt nod, walking past Ronus to head out from the Gug Andjak. He did not offer any words or explanations for where they were going, but he knew that Ronas would follow. Leading him through the Courtyard and out of the Citadel entirely, the man immediately turned off the path heading back toward the docks, leading them instead into the foreboding forest that surrounded the Citadel.

"You can address me as Eli, or Master Brent. I am one of the Wardens of the Testing Grounds, and you Ronas are to become one of my Initiates." As they walked through the forest the trees began to press closer and closer, branches overhanging the not so clear path, however, neither Ronas or Eli were touched by the limbs. As they drew close they seemed to be pushed aside by some unseen force, and then snapped back into place as soon as they passed by, "Your duties as an Initiate will be simple. Do as I say, and don't die. If you follow those two rules you will be just fine, and I won't have to go looking for a fresh body to replace you." Eli glanced back, "Before I go on, do you have any questions?"
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

In Service of the Dead

Postby Ronas Dermir on August 11th, 2013, 4:04 am

Ronas did not speak a word as the man silently led him out of the citadel and into the open. He was then led off the path and into the forest nearby. Ronas' impassive face registered no emotion, but his mind made sure to remember this path he was taking. Should it ever be necessary to return to the Citadel, he would not be so undisciplined as to ask his commander to guide him back.

"You can address me as Eli, or Master Brent. I am one of the Wardens of the Testing Grounds, and you Ronas are to become one of my Initiates."

Ronas merely nodded his acknowledgement. So his new commander is named Eli Brent, Warden of the Testing Grounds. His title, apparently, was Master Brent, which was what Ronas intended to address his new commander from then on. Using the man's surname was inappropriate, and insubordinate.

"Your duties as an Initiate will be simple. Do as I say, and don't die. If you follow those two rules you will be just fine, and I won't have to go looking for a fresh body to replace you."

Ronas merely grunted in response to this. A soldier follows orders, so the first part of Master Brent's command would go without saying. As for the second, he would do his utmost to comply, but a soldier's duty is to fight and to die. If Master Brent sent him upon a mission that would kill him, Ronas would go. There would be no argument. There could be no argument.

The man turned, and Ronas got another good look at his face. Master Brent, he noticed belatedly, had a long scar that seemed to go from his left eyebrow and went all the way down to his lip. No soldier acquires that sort of injury and lives unless he is either very lucky, or very skilled. And luck runs out.

"Before I go on, do you have any questions?" Master Brent was asking. Ronas nodded.

"I will fight to the best of my ability, Master Brent, and obey any orders given without question," he replied. "However as you noticed earlier during my Judgement, my skill with Voiding still requires perfecting. As does my skill with the blade." Here Ronas hefted Equalizer so that Master Brent could see. "In addition, it is my belief that I could be of more use to you should I learn other magics, in order to have more offensive prowess to face the enemies I will encounter. Would any of this be possible, now or in the future?"
Ronas Dermir

Character sheet

In Service of the Dead

Postby Mirage on August 17th, 2013, 12:54 am

Eli grunted and looked forward, seeming to smile as he did, "There is no need to worry over that. You will become stronger, or you will die. There is much I must teach you before you can be allowed to do your duties, and teach you I shall."

He fell silent after that, offering no conversation as the walked. Ronas might notice the strange weapons that were held in holders at the Warden's wast. Two knuckle blades of an odd design. The blades of each circled around in front of the knuckles, forming the steep curve of a half circle with the edge facing out.

They would walk for some time, the sun sinking to the horizon as the finally broke free of the trees and stepped onto dry cracked ground, flat and wide. Sparse plants grew here, but Eli kept walking,
"This is the Prairie, one section of the testing ground. It is overseen by its own Warden who goes by the name Riyanna. We hold no sway here."

The explanation was short, and to the point. Continuing on he kept walking, the sun sinking fully beneath the horizon now as the sky was painted red. At their feet the dried dirt began to give away to stone and soil of a very distinct redish hew. At first it might appear to be a trick of the light, but no everything in this area was bathed red. The plants were even redish in coloring. Hills, peeks and rises filled this area, and as they reached the top of one of these hills Eli would stop and turn to face Ronas, "Welcome to the Bloodhills, the domain I oversee. This is where you shall spend your time, and where you will most likely die." He crossed his arms over his chest, "Our section is by far the most used, and one of the most dangerous. Here and now I give you one final chance. Will you spend your days here among the monsters, or will you do the smart thing and hop the next boat back to humanity?"
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

In Service of the Dead

Postby Ronas Dermir on August 17th, 2013, 1:40 am

"There is no need to worry over that. You will become stronger, or you will die. There is much I must teach you before you can be allowed to do your duties, and teach you I shall."

If Master Brent's response at all surprised Ronas, he did not show it. Instead, he gave an incline of his head and merely responded,

"Understood."

The rest of the walk was in silence. Ronas once again kept his gray eyes roving, taking in the scenery and picking out landmarks that might assist him in navigation, should such a thing be required. As they walked, Ronas noted his new commander's weapons; a pair of semi-circular knuckleblades. Efficient design, he concluded, as they would increase the power and lethality of a man's punch, especially if, as Master Brent certainly seemed to be, that man were skilled in hand-to-hand combat.

Unconsciously, Ronas touched Equalizer's hilt. Master Brent had implied he would be getting much practice with the blade. That was good. If he was to serve, he needed to improve. Else death was deserved.

"This is the Prairie, one section of the testing ground. It is overseen by its own Warden who goes by the name Riyanna. We hold no sway here."

Ronas merely nodded his acknowledgement of Master Brent's explanation, appreciating the man's brevity and economy of words. Nonetheless, despite what Master Brent had said, Ronas made sure to try to memorize as much of this Prairie as possible. Should it become necessary, by duty or order, to come into this place, he would need to know how to navigate.

After more silent walking, Ronas noted that the earth beneath his feet had a distinctly red hue. If it was surprising to Ronas, he did not show it, though in his mind he filed it under "unexplainable". As far as he was concerned, the red plants, red dirt, red everything, was certainly a curiosity, but ultimately irrelevant to his duty as an initiate of the Wardens. If the place bore explanation, Master Brent would explain.

"Welcome to the Bloodhills, the domain I oversee. This is where you shall spend your time, and where you will most likely die."

And explain he did. Ronas did not respond, simply acknowledging the statement with yet another nod. If his fate was to die here, then so be it. Though until he did, he would serve to the best of his ability. A soldier could do no more.

"Our section is by far the most used, and one of the most dangerous. Here and now I give you one final chance. Will you spend your days here among the monsters, or will you do the smart thing and hop the next boat back to humanity?"

Ronas was silent for almost a chime, his slate-gray eyes meeting Master Brent's green ones. Then, he spoke, his face as passive as ever.

"There is no choice, Master Brent. There is only advice, and orders. I give advice when asked. I follow orders when given. I did not come to Sahova to flee. I came to serve. And serve I shall, until I am released, or until I am killed. There are no other options. I await your order, Master Brent."
Ronas Dermir

Character sheet

In Service of the Dead

Postby Mirage on August 17th, 2013, 2:04 am

Brent raised an eyebrow, "Is that so? Very well. Then your very first order is this." Ronas would fill invisible tendrils wrap around his wrist and ankles, as well as around his waste and even his neck. He was lifted off the ground, arms and legs spread out to the sides leaving him completely exposed, his head tilted back so he could only see the sky, "Don't die."

Ronas could struggle, but the bonds could not be broken, and they did not give. He would feel pain akin to a thousand tiny needles stabbing him in the areas where the tendrils bound his limbs, and then a tugging... but not on his physical body. He would feel his soul wrenched, pulled and tugged. The feeling grew stronger in his left arm, and as the force increased he felt a feeling akin to slipping a glove off, though it was as if that glove had threats attached to his skin that were unwilling to let him go. Each of the threads snapped, sending waves of pain each time until, finally, it came free. His hand drifted before his eyes, but it was completely see through and there was what looked like a long tentacle that held it fast at the wrist. A piece of that tentacle split off, falling below Ronas' line of vision but quickly returning with Ronas' limp arm in its grasp. The larger tentacle then began to work the astral appendage back into its physical shell, this process much less painful though still very unusual feeling. Finally that was completed, but he was not released just yet. A similar process happened for each of his appendages until all had been removed and then put back into place. When all of that was completed Ronas was released, dropping like a rock to the ground.

He would find that his body was numb, his limbs not responding as they should and unable to bear his weight. A ringing in his ears almost masked Eli's words as he stood over his new Initiate,
"Now you are truly an Initiate. Now I can teach you what I know."
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

In Service of the Dead

Postby Ronas Dermir on August 17th, 2013, 2:48 am

Ronas Dermir was a soldier. And a soldier was used to pain. It came with the job; you did not go into battle expecting a bed of roses and an easy time. Ronas knew, every time he swung Equalizer it could be the last. Limbs got chopped off. Flesh was seared. Battle separated the boys from the men.

"Is that so? Very well. Then your very first order is this: Don't die."

At first, Ronas merely felt ... weightless, as he was somehow lifted into the air, tendrils of some sort separating his arms and legs and holding him aloft. His eyes could only see the sky, and a flicker of ... something crossed his face.

Suddenly, it felt as though a thousand needles were jammed into his arms and legs, liquid fire through his veins as he felt his very soul being pulled apart. Gritting his teeth, he did his best to maintain composure. To maintain control. Desperately he repeated his mantra.

Close your eyes. Clear your mind.

It wasn't working. The pain was too intense, and Ronas let out a roar of pain, sweat pouring down his brow as the liquid fire swirled inside his body, searing hot. His arm was stretched further and further, until finally he felt something give, and his arm seemed to just ... detach from his body, as though it had been severed.

Taking a moment to catch his breath, Ronas opened his eyes to see his arm drifting across his field of view, ghost-like and translucent. It was an ... interesting sight, and after the pain he experienced his mind was still hazy. Ronas watched with almost detached interest as the tendrils appeared to reattach his translucent limbs, only now they felt vaguely wrong, somehow, like he was some sort of puppeteer pulling at the strings of his limbs, rather than them being an extension of his being. It was an odd sensation.

When all his limbs had returned to him, Ronas was dropped to the ground. He fell in a crumpled heap, his mind as scrambled as it had ever been. There was, indeed, much to learn, as he felt a pounding in his brain and a ringing in his ears he'd not had since ... ever. Over the din, he barely heard Master Brent's statement.

"Now you are truly an Initiate. Now I can teach you what I know."

Ronas attempted to acknowledge the statement, but could barely manage a rusty croak. Instead, crumpled as he was on the ground, he only managed to nod. As he attempted to climb to his feet, his arms and legs did not appear to respond correctly. Gone were the smooth motions trained over the years, now he was as clumsy as though he'd stepped out the womb.

Ronas' brow furrowed. He tried again. Once more he collapsed.

"... forgive me, Master Brent," he managed at last, as he somewhat caught his breath. "I seem to be experiencing some ... difficulty controlling my faculties." Though Ronas' face did not redden with his humiliation, his face displayed obvious displeasure. Of what use was a soldier that could not even stand?

Taking several deep breaths, Ronas shut his eyes. Concentrate, he said to himself. Close your eyes. Clear your mind.

The old mantra calmed him, as Ronas focused on the beating of his heart, the flow of blood across his ears. The pulse was fast, but as he listened it gradually slowed to a steady beat. Taking several deep breaths, Ronas sublimated even that, until his mind was completely clear. He was only able to maintain this total clarity for half a chime, however, before the thoughts flooded back. But half a chime was sufficient.

Ronas' eyes opened again slowly. His limbs still felt numb, but after another few chimes he was finally, shakily, able to stand.

"I seemed to have been able to recover some amount of mobility, Master Brent," he announced. There was an undercurrent of shame in his voice. It should not have taken so long.

"Now that I am initiated, what is next?"
Ronas Dermir

Character sheet

In Service of the Dead

Postby Mirage on August 17th, 2013, 3:19 am

Brent unfolded his arms, setting his hands on his hips as he watched Ronas struggle to his feet, "I have given you a new magic, Projection. It allows you to detach your astral body from your physical one. Mind that you practice discipline with this art, for if you do not you can easily lose your very soul."

He made no move to aid Ronas to stand. He knew the man would not accept the offer anyway. The Warden instead waited for him to finally get to his feet before continuing, "What comes next is up to you. You must train your new discipline, and I shall assist you. You are useless to us until you gain a level of competency in this art. Every day you shall practice, from when the sun rises to when it sets until I can train you in the subtler of our arts." He paused "But we are finished for the day. You must grow accustomed to your new body, and we must find shelter until day comes once more. We are survivors, and we do so by not being stupid. Take shelter when night comes unless a task requires completion before hand."

He looked up at the stars that began to speckle the darkening night sky. He spoke softly, a mantra of sorts, "We are empty, yet we are free. Our bodies are but vessels. Our spirits soar through the void." He looked back at Ronas, "Memorize those words. They are the pledge of the Bloodhill Wardens. Let your life here exemplify all that they stand for." He turned and waved for Ronas to follow, "Now come and let us find shelter."

Brent would leave them from the hill, from atop that high peek to venture into the valleys below. This was just the beginning of Ronas' journey, but the first step had just been taken. Tomorrow would bring with it new adventures, and new possibilities.

OOCOK feel free to post once more and then I will give you your grade! I will start your next modded thread after that and we will get you settled in further with the Wardens :)

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Next