Flashback I'll See You in Court [Svasra]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

I'll See You in Court [Svasra]

Postby Meville Brightshade on August 11th, 2013, 7:52 am

Sixth day of Summer, 508 A.V.

Courtship. What exactly was courtship?

Meville understood that it was something that happened between two people involving a lot of talking and absolutely no sexual intercourse. Being a wild, fifteen year old boy, the prospect of something like "courtship" wasn't really at the top of his list of things to do. If anything, it was somewhere near the bottom next to bathing his mother and getting a nasty infection in a wound. So, with courtship so very low upon his life schedule, he questioned for the thousandth time why he was going to go do just that. For the one thousand and first time, the image of a Vantha woman knocking upon his door asking to speak with his father was played back in his mind. What exactly had prompted the Snowsong woman to approach Meville's father was beyond him. He had, for the most part, never seen his father leave the cabin where they lived in the Warrens. It only made the woman's visit all the more confusing.

Yet, she had come, and with her, she had brought the prospect of something that had enticed his father enough that Meville was sent off to court the young Svasra. Ordinarily, had it been anyone but his father giving the command, Meville would have shrugged it off with a peal of impish laughter and a scrambling of feet to propel him off into the snowy pathways of Avanthal. This, however, was anything but ordinary. What his father commanded him to do, Meville did without question. At least, without question to his father's face. He certainly had no difficulty finding a myriad of different ways to express his frustration and confusion regarding his current situation now that he was no longer in the presence of his stoic paternal figure.

He knew where to go and who to ask for, but short of that... Meville had no idea what he'd been tossed into. The Snowsong hold was filled with artsy people, so it didn't really help make him feel any better that his greatest artistic achievement was a two headed snowman with fish heads for eyes. As he walked through the snow, he nervously chewed on his lower lip, glancing at the various faces of the people he passed by with slightly-wider-than-usual bright blue eyes. No one really seemed that interested in the young blonde and passed him without more than a nod or a raised brow. Finding no comfort in the faces of strangers, Meville took it upon himself to find it through whistling.

He was an atrocious whistler, mainly due to the fact that it sounded more like he was imitating a crude noise, rather then creating a shrill note with air passing through puckered lips. It was amusing, at least, and he happily raspberried his way into the Snowsong hold before he'd even realized he'd arrived. Once inside the conglomerate of buidlings, Meville was once more reminded of how little he wanted to be there. His eyes scanned the people around him, trying to pick out someone who might help him find wherever he was supposed to go. An older woman calmly sweeping the floor a little distance ahead seemed as good a mark as any, so Meville approached her with his customary toothy grin and a little wave.

"Where Svasra live?"

The woman raised an eyebrow at him, as most Vantha did when they heard him speak their language. She responded with her own eloquent flow of the musical language gesturing in a particular direction. Meville was fairly certain she'd called his Vani "lacking" and then gave him directions to her home. He gave the woman a respectful bow of his head before moving off in the direction she'd indicated. Somehow, after a few more questions asked to various strangers, Meville arrived at the place he believed Svarsa and her family resided.

For a few, brief moments, Meville considered turning around a leaving. Had the decision been left to him, perhaps he would have had the door not been swung open with the happy sounds of Svarsa's mother welcoming him into her home. Gods. There could not have been a more terrifying way to greet the nervous, potential suitor for your daughter than throwing a barrage of foreign language directly at his face and expecting something in return. Meville just nodded enthusiastically and smiled, which was apparently enough for the woman as she laughed and directed him to sit upon one of the lounges in their common area.

There was another person sitting there, looking rather a lot like Meville felt. She was pretty, to say the least, but that only made Meville feel all the more uncomfortable. They were a good distance apart, so instead of moving closer to bridge the gap and, perhaps, assuage a bit of the tense atmosphere, Meville chose instead to sort of awkwardly shout across the room in his clumsy Vani.
"Svarsa look nice."

...Oh gods.

Little OOC note for you: Svarsa's mother was aware that Mev's dad came from outside of Avanthal. If it makes sense, I was thinking she wanted Mev to be a kind of "half-way" exotic friend for her to keep her in Avanthal.

Common | Vani
[/center]
Last edited by Meville Brightshade on August 27th, 2013, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meville Brightshade
Player

Words: 287257
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2013, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Svasra on August 19th, 2013, 7:51 pm

You've got to be kidding me. Svasra sat beside her mother in their meager living quarters, staring at her parents with a mixture of horror and embarrassment. Being a young female Vantha, Svasra couldn't say she didn't see it coming, but ... she also wasn't expecting it. Not so suddenly! While her friends were being pushed to settle down, and many of them entering relationships, Svasra found herself pulling away from it all. It wasn't like she was rebellious or hated men, but Svasra didn't find much interest in being tied down to Avanthal. Not with the horizons so wide in the distance.

Yet, Svasra had made a promise to herself. She would stay in Avanthal as long as she could. After all, even she wasn't naive enough to prance into the chilled wilderness and claim she would be able to survive. She had hoped she would escape these part of Vantha life though, but it seemed it had caught up a bit early. "Look more excited, Svasra, you should be happy such a nice young man is interested in you."
"Young man, he is almost a child," Svasra muttered under her breath, fingers tightening on her lap as she frowned. "He is younger than me, and not even one of the Holds," Svasra added.
"Well, you always speak of travelling, and he is quite exotic. Anyways, he is only a year your junior." This piqued Svasra's interest, and she straightened in her seat.
"He has traveled?" If he leaves, would he take me?
"Ah-" Minara hesitated to respond, and quickly rose. "Why don't you ask him? Come, we have to get you ready, he'll be here in a couple bells." That means no. Groaning, Svasra rose and followed obediently after her mother, who was much too excited for this.

Svasra stifled a squeal as Minara yanked on her hair, eyes watering as she grit her teeth. "Mother, you don't have to pull quite so hard," she growled, though Minara didn't pay heed, and only added another piece of her hair to the style. It was only a simple braid, but Minara treated it like her hair had to plastered to her head in order to look decent. One final pull elict a small whine, and Minara stepped back to appraise her work. Svasra winced as she rolled her shoulders back from their stooped position, and stood, flattening out the simple skirt and shirt her mother had managed to force her into. Muttering a couple vile comments that got her a sharp retort from Minara, Svasra moved to their sitting area, settling to wait out the few moments of peace she had before the man - boy, really - was to arrive.

Though Svasra severely protested the idea of marrying, especially an outsider, Minara insisted they were not forcing a proposal. Just 'introducing', as if I didn't seem then enough around the place! At sixteen, Svasra was much more concerned with her writing, her friends, and pestering the traders to tell her a few legends they picked up whenever a caravan passed through their isolated city. Like all females her age, of course the male population became acutely prominent to her, even attractive, and a mysterious allure, but their maturity levels was more than enough to deter Svasra from pursuing them.

A chime from her mother brought Svasra back to the real world, and the problem that was walking through their door right this instant. His bright blue eyes - ones that didn't change color - and pale blond hair was enough to mark him an outsider, were it not for the awkward look he wore, and the .... well ... to put it nicely, bad Vani. Oh for the love of Morwen. As Minara showed the boy, Me.. Mefill?, to where Svasra sat, the young girl scrutinized the younger. Pale, and bright, he was very exotic in the dark-haired Vanthas, and Svasra found his one-colored gaze fascinatingly captivating. Much to her dismay, her heart did not stay as calm as she wished when she had put up such a fuss with her parents, and Svasra smiled weakly.

When the man spoke, Svasra stifled a laugh. Perhaps this foreigner knew Common? Svasra stood, and composed herself into a dignified woman - or so she hoped - though the press of her lips was much to the fact she was trying very hard not to giggle at his Vani. Even her baby cousins did not speak so poorly! Now, what were those Common words? I was practicing with that trader the other day, but he said my accent was terrible ... "You ... ah, look nice, too," Svasra managed, coming to a stop in front of the blond, wincing as her Vani tongue had mangled the harsh-sounding Common in an awkward toss-up to syllables.
"Though, I am sure you already know, this is Svasra. Svasra, this is Meville Brightshade," Minara said, speaking in elegant Vani, as her Common was much worse.
"Mhm, nice ... Nice to meet you," Svasra said, switching to Vani half-way through with an apologetic look, speaking slowly for the young man's benefit as she dipped into a polite curtsy.
"So, where you are two off to, then?" Minara asked, hugging Svasra close that made Svasra make a very un-ladylike face, wriggling away from her grasp. Here, though, Svasra looked to Meville Brightshade (what an odd last name ...), and raised an eyebrow, obviously expecting he had a plan of action.

OOC :
Just a note, you didn't specify the timestamp for this, though I was thinking sometime in the Summer of 508?

Also, I noticed your signature is your Posting Template. I thought I would throw in that Mizahar has a great feature called the Post Templates forum, where you can make a thread and put your templates there. Then, when you go to make a reply, you can actually select the template you wish to use - assuming they were put there - so it is easy to recall any one you wish!
Svasra
Sit by the fire, and listen to a legend.

Words: 212637
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Meville Brightshade on August 26th, 2013, 2:25 am

Right away, Meville decided it could have been much worse. First of all, the young lady, Svasra, seemed to be doing her best to be both polite and make her own attempt at bridging the language barrier. How Meville had managed to life the majority of his life without ever learning Vani was a mystery to him. People just tended to know what he was talking about generally, though they'd often have that disdainful sort of disgust that came when a foreigner happily butchered their melodic language. So, the fact that Svasra was making an effort meant Meville might as well do the same. He wasn't really sure what he had intended to do prior to arriving, but now that he was here, there was really only one course of action available to him now: grin and bear it.

She'd managed to return his own compliment with her silly sounding Common, which in turn brought a lighthearted grin to Meville's face. She was a bit better at his Common than he was at her Vani, but it still was far from perfect. Her mother, on the other hand, didn't seem to even acknowledge Meville's lacking bilingual abilities. She happily flowed right along with her introduction - for that was what it appeared to be from her gestures and the distinct "Svasra" and "Brightshade" -. Svasra confirmed Meville's speculation with another attempt at Common followed by a manageable slow string of Vani. He gave her an appreciated smile as he returned her polite gesture with a bow of his own. Before he was able to find the words to respond, her mother interjected with another blasted question.

He stared blankly for a few beats, glancing from Svasra's mother to Svasra while his brain worked in overdrive to translate. Off two? What? Svasra's expectant gaze and her mother's unnecessary large smile helped him piece together the puzzle well enough.
Oh, were are we off too!" He chuckled, shaking his head at Svasra's mother. "I thought you meant-" The uncomprehending smile snapped Meville back into the present. She didn't seem to really comprehend anything Meville was saying. Excellent. "Er... Tree Retreat."

Why the Tree Retreat, Meville had no idea. It was the first location that popped into his mind, as seeing as he knew how to pronounce it in Vani, he figured it was the best way to placate the expectant gazes the two had fixed upon him. He had no idea what sort of things Svasra was interested in, which made choosing a place for them to visit on their first "outing" all the more difficult when asked straight out on the spot. Apparently one of the facets of 'courtship" was anticipating these sort of things. Meville didn't think he was going to be very much of a suitor after his first couple chimes of it. Deciding to just run with it, Meville continued with his usual cheery, clumsy Vani.
"Yep! Tree Retreat! Go see... Tree. And also... and..." What was at the Retreat anyway? "Eat food." Close enough.

Now that his previously non-existent plan for the day had been given a bit of form, Meville felt a slight weight lift from him. At least no one could say he wasn't making an effort. Once the day was over, Meville intended never to see either of the two women before him again. Though not necessarily embarrassed, Meville was definitely feeling a bit foolish. He had to work on his blasted Vani if he was ever going to be able to communicate with people in a reasonable fashion. Hopefully, once they were free of Svasra's doting mother, they might be able to just talk very slowly in their own respective languages to each other. It'd be worlds easier than what he was having to do now.

Common | Vani
Meville Brightshade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Svasra on September 27th, 2013, 5:55 am

The Tree Retreat? was all Svasra could initially think at Meville's scrambled answer. Suspecting it was more a way to placate her mother than anything else, Svasra couldn't help but shake her head with a gentle laugh. Whilst her mother was nodding in an approving fashion, she gently tapped Svasra on the head with a chiding click of her tongue, "You should be less mocking, Svasra, that is very rude." Svasra could only nod in a seemingly demure way, though her multi-hued gaze that dared meet his was full of amusement.

"To see trees and eat food?" Svasra repeated, half for his benefit (maybe it would fix that pronunciation of his?) and half in an attempt to control her laughter. She nodded sagely, coughing lightly to hid her smile behind a hand, yearning to tease the young man for his desperate attempt to come up with something and spitting out probably the only location he knew in Vani. Before he could dig himself into a hole any deeper, Svasra reached out and gently placed a hand on his arm. "Let us go, then? I think even seeing trees will end up being fun in your presence," she said, her voice lightly coy and a glittering smile to turn her lips. That should keep her mother satisfied as well, so she wouldn't have to come home to Minara complaining she was cold towards the boy.

Wrapping herself in warm clothing, a scarf to cover not only her neck but tied higher to protect her nose and cheeks as well, Svasra allowed her eyes to express the smile she invisibly wore as the Vantha looked towards Meville. Minara waved them off almost absent-mindedly, no doubt caught up in some odd fantasy of hers that Svasra would never be able to reach her in. "Hurry, before she spurts suggestions," Svasra said urgently as she tugged Meville out of the Arvinta, voice muffled by the wrap of green fabric.

Leaving her Arvinta was much a relief, out of the keen eye of her mother who was all to desperate to find her a suitor. I am too young to be concerned about that, was all Svasra really had to say in the matter. This Meville seemed interesting though, she had to admit. Perhaps their friendship would prove fruitful, and such embarrassing venture as they embarked on now would be worth it. He was cute, after all, right? Exotic looking, to say the least.

Realizing she'd lapsed into silence, Svasra lowered her scarf a tad to be heard over the general hum of their surroundings. Taking care to speak at a moderate speed, she enunciated the words carefully so he would be able to easy catch the nuances that made up different tenses and words."We do not have to go to the Tree Retreat, Meville," Svasra noted, the name twisting oddly within the lyrical voice of Vani, lilted with her accent, "There are many other places much more fun." She paused for a moment before continuing, barely leaving enough space for him to speak. "Thank you, by the way, for coming. I know my mother can be a bit overbearing, but she is only trying to ensure I fit societal norms. No one wants their kid to be an outcast, right? You do not have to court me though, not when we are alone like this." A grin tilted the side of her lips as she glanced side-long at the boy as they walked. "Unless, of course, you want to," she couldn't help but add with a delighted laugh.

"Let's go to Tasty Flakes first, at least, that seems a good place to start any type of relationship, no?" Without even hearing an agreement, Svasra took his hand and began to skip in the direction of one of her favourite places.

Note: "Svasra speaking Vani", "Svasra speaking Common"
Svasra
Sit by the fire, and listen to a legend.

Words: 212637
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Meville Brightshade on October 10th, 2013, 8:58 am

Svasra's slight correction was met with a sheepish grin. So that was how it was supposed to sound. Vani, in all its intricacies, really did sound unbelievably different in the voice of a native speaker. He doubted he'd ever be able to reach the level of cadence and beauty at which both Svarsa and her mother spoke, but he was at least able to appreciate it. Many of the people who passed through Avanthal would often express how lovely the language was, but that the words all seemed to flow together in such a way that most of what was said sounded the same. Meville, at least, could typically discern word from word, though often he had no idea what those individual words meant. And, of course, there were always the subtle nuances that came with any language. Most of the time, Meville was able to connect facial expression of emotion with the lilt of the tone of the speaker, but things such as sarcasm or bitter irony tended to be lost on him.

Apparently he was doing as badly as he had surmised, as Svarsa stepped in to lend him a much needed proverbial hand. While she spoke slower and in a more manageable fashion, Meville was only able to get the gist of the sentence. He was pretty sure she'd said - in a round about way - that he was fun. Or funny. Or interesting. Or something like that. She wore the same impish grin he often had plastered all over his face, giving him the impression she were either flirting or mocking him. Either way, it was more than enough to pique his interests enough to turn his sheepish grin into a partially thankful, partially excited beam of pearly whites.
"Yes, let go!"

Slightly uncertain as to what he should do in regards to parting with Svarsa's mother, Meville turned his gaze questioningly towards her daughter. The gesture was met with a fervent suggestion that they depart before the woman... Meville assumed whatever "
spurt" meant had something to do with the barrage of unintelligible inquires he had been suffering from previously. Placidly following behind Svarsa's tug, Meville muttered "Spurt?" several times, trying to solidify the pronunciation and connotative definition into the active language center of his brain. Grinning happily back at the blissful waves of Svarsa's mother, Meville returned the gesture with a dazed sort of twitch of his own hands.

The two of them moved through the Hold for a good while in silence, both lost in thought. Meville had finally come to terms with the fact that he was now out on a sort of courting journey with a young woman he knew nothing about. Well, other than that she was a Snowsong who spoke fluent Vani. Surprise, surprise. Still, she seemed friendly, intuitive, and a bit bossy. Well, not entirely bossy so much as controlled. Or maybe the proper word was confident? Meville nibbled on his lower lip, contemplating the vast array of synonyms to describe the girl slightly in the lead. When she spoke, breaking the comfortable silence, Meville started slightly, giving her a dazed look of surprise. Her words moved at a comfortable pace, allowing Meville plenty of time to translate the important words. The adjectives and adverbs were given a back seat to the more important nouns and verbs. The only thing that sounded very odd was his name, which always gave him a strange shiver down his back to hear it pronounced with a Vani accent. It certainly didn't belong in the melodic language.

When she gave them permission to attend somewhere other than the tree retreat, Meville was elated. As interesting as the Tree Retreat seemed, it was more of a solitary curiosity. Nodding emphatically, Meville expressed his interest in what else could be fun. Her slight pause was just long enough that Meville thought he might should say something, but as his mouth moved, her words started once more. Instead of stumbling over his tongue, he gave her a happy grin at her "thank you", nodding his understanding about parents - though it was a false understanding. When she spoke of outcasts, Meville just shook his head, his smile still wide and mischievous. He wasn't entirely sure if she'd chosen those words exactly on purpose, and it didn't appear as if she considered him to be quite the outcast he was. In a way, he wasn't. Meville had integrated himself very well into Avanthal, though it was more of a notoriety than a fame.

Her little joke brought a quick flush of pink to Meville's cheeks. His grin faded slightly, tainted with a touch of unease. He couldn't decide if she'd been serious or not. Forgetting the courtship now would be impossible. She was a bit of a sadist, it seemed, while still maintaining a serene sort of exterior. He was in for an interesting ride with this one. Sticking out his tongue at her, he raised his eyebrows and laughed.
"Maybe we see." To the suggestion - or rather, statement of next destination -, Meville nodded enthusiastically. "I hearing that good." He squinted, trying to think of the right word. "Er, tasting good. Yum." He rubbed his stomach and mimed eating something out of his hands with an invisible utensil. Several ticks later, he let his hands fall to his side as he chuckled at himself for being unable to communicate. Blasted Vani.

Note! :
Feel free to either play their journey over out, or just write a bit about it and skip to the shop. Either way, I'm down with whatever boats your float!

Common | Vani
Meville Brightshade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)