Reimancy and Glyphing Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Halleck on July 23rd, 2010, 6:35 am

I understand how a Novice Wizard at Reimancy, controlling fire, can make a ball of fire and throw it, but what would a Novice with control over water be able to do. Since throwing a ball of water seems about as harmless as a water balloon, I'm wondering what else it could be done.

Also, with the creation of water from a Wizard's Djed, would it be drinkable by that wizard and/or other people, say if someone was dying of thirst, would it be possible to give them water via Reimancy?

I've read that Glyphing is typically done with Scrolls, but other forms, like being carved into stone or painted on the ground and even just drawing in a sand surface can work. It also mentions the marking on the skin, does that mean tattooing can work for glyphing (of course with the appropriate level based both of the Glyphing and Effecting Magic Type skills)?

And, assuming tattooing would work for a glyph, what happens when the glyph is used up. Would the ink dissipate like paint would if the glyph was made of that? Would scars or outlines from the tattooing remain if the ink does dissipate?

Lastly, again assuming tattooing works, the wizard is a novice of both Reimancy (water) and Glyphing, would control or production of the Water, regardless of what could be done with it, be more effective? Would the formation of the Djed at the person's hands (assuming that's where the Djed was focused and the tattoo was placed) be quicker or stronger or a more stable reaction.

And, sorry for bothering everyone with these questions. I'm sure you guys have probably all heard this before.
Halleck
Motivated by Insanity

Words: 3163
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2010, 4:58 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Panna Cotta on July 23rd, 2010, 11:48 am

Hey Halleck, welcome to Mizahar! It's always nice to see people ask around for clarifications at first, after all, there are certain things that the wiki can't answer for you. :) I won't say I know all the answers to your questions, but I'll give those I know a try.

1. Reimancy. You've got to be a little more creative than that, buddy. Your imagination is the limit to what you can do with water reimancy. Want to water your plants? Want to create potable (yuck distilled) water on the fly? - that's a 'yes' to your question about conjured water being potable. A ball of water thrown playfully may not be deadly, but you're looking at the short term perks of water reimancy. You can combine other magical disciplines with reimancy to spit water at mach5 speed. At expert levels, you can literally cause a deluge. ;)

2. Glyphing. You know what, I'm not sure you want to tattoo a glyph onto your skin. In my opinion, the better term is to "inscribe". From what I've seen, yes, glyphs can disappear, especially those created by novices who only make disposable glyphs. But they can also be "reusable" or "rechargeable" so that means they could, perhaps gray out, become a watermark - it depends on the mage, nobody really works in a specific way, right? But if you really want a tattooed glyph (and all the pain that goes along with it) maybe a scar is left when the glyph is exhausted.

3. I seem to have missed a magical equation there somewhere. But lemme tell you this, reimancy allows you to emit your djed into res, thus water conjuration. The way I understand it, you shoot out water, not manipulate it. Like, you turn your res into water, manipulate your res to turn into water, etc,etc. Now I can't see why you'd like to use a water beam glyph (it probably exists) when you're already a reimancer. A quicker, stronger, and stable water conjuring can only be done by competent reimancer or someone who has good skill development, and glyphs that shoot out water beams isn't something novices can ever hope or attempt to do. (Maybe if you start developing a particular discipline you could! You'd have to rp that, though.)

Please do stretch and explain the details of how you wanted to go about it, so I'll get the idea right, and if I come to my limit, I can poke a founder who'll be able to better help you.

Great ideas, though! Hope I helped.
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Halleck on July 23rd, 2010, 8:10 pm

Alright, first off I want to thank you for the welcome and answers, I really appreciate it.
Questions one and two have been answered, I was just curious as to the limitations.

For number three, I was meaning something more along the lines of using glyphs to manipulate the process of conjuring water, or perhaps the properties. Like, I understand a novice can only use so much Djed, and it takes so long to form. Could a glyph shorten that time needed to form a certain amount of Djed.

Or perhaps, more importantly, could a glyph be used to keep the User from over exerting him/herself? Such as, perhaps, an extra precaution against overgiving?
Halleck
Motivated by Insanity

Character sheet

Postby Stitch on July 23rd, 2010, 8:46 pm

Here is are some direct quotes from the Wiki.

The runes can accomplish the following:

Store magic
Release magic upon activation of a trigger
Restrict magic into a fixed space
Channel magic into an area, target or path
Split the effects of magic
Combine the effects of magic
Stabilize wild magic

These runes have no power of their own, but can manipulate magic from another discipline, for example storing, releasing, channeling, deflecting or confining a spell. Scrolls containing a single use of a magical effect are a product of Glyphing.

You may could draw glyphs on your being to store magic, if that is what you are asking. You could certainly lightly alter certain spells, either by splitting the effects or combining the effects with other spells. Combining a wind and water spell within a single glyph would produce a whirling typhoon when the glyph was activated, perhaps?

As for speeding up the casting process... I don't think a glyph could help you summon Djed faster. You could pre-cast the spell ahead of time, then store it within a glyph perhaps... And therefor instantly cast it later, as long as the trigger is met...? Or perhaps draw glyphs on your hands, to help yourself focus the used Djed to that area. Like with a Path glyph? Or use Channeling glyphs, maybe?

The only reason I dare somewhat contradict what our dear Panna says is because the first stage of the Glyphing lore clearly states:

Simple uses. Any crafted items will generally be too unreliable to be marketed. The Glypher will mostly use the runes to bolster his other magic disciplines, for example painting them on the palms of his hands. He will continuously practice reading and drawing them. Drawing the glyphs takes quite a bit of time.

And that is just a novice use.

As for your question with over-giving, I really think it depends on the type of over-giving. Over-giving with Auristics generally causes you to go blind, or causes brain damage, or something like that. If you set a glyph to trigger when you over-give, if you can even do that... Well, you already over-gave. The over-giving is already done, the damage is already there. Perhaps if you could somehow make a glyph that activates when you are low on Djed. But that seems like a question for a founder, as Djed comes directly from the soul. Making Glyphs react to the soul seems like a big deal, and probably only a master could do that.

As for a word of caution...

Once the power of a glyph has been exhausted, it will break. Scrolls may crumble, paint will disappear, stone might crack. In long-lasting experiments, sigils have to be replaced quite often.

Glyphs on the body could definitely seriously wound the user, once used.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Halleck on July 23rd, 2010, 10:40 pm

Thank you Stitch, I think that answers all my questions and then some. The wiki confused me pretty good.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it.
Halleck
Motivated by Insanity

Character sheet