Closed Contemplating the Ice [Raneshe]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Contemplating the Ice [Raneshe]

Postby Jossa Skyglow on August 15th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Summer 32, 513 AV

The Temple of Everwinter was a place of quiet, of contemplation. It was a place of stillness, both inner and outer. Jossa, despite his outer quiet, was never quite comfortable here. He could sit still and close his eyes; he could breathe at regular intervals and visualize the hell out of a snowflake. His insides just never shut up. He'd given up trying to meditate a while back, preferring instead to just sit and think or talk to Morwen while visiting her temple, even if she didn't talk back. It was easier than walking around Avanthal in a thoughtful daze.

He'd only seen Morwen a handful of times, but he'd somehow inherited the Vantha love for her. He respected her immensely as a goddess and a queen, but he didn't always feel like he knew her all that well. He didn't want to admit it, but there were days when he felt that he didn't understand her at all. To voice that would be to admit that there was something off about him, but to let that feeling sit would be to allow himself to distance himself from her further. The Vantha were a people that loved their Queen, and Jossa did, too, but he also felt as if the other Vantha had some sort of feeling of kinship to her. He wanted that.

After a couple of days of thinking about it nearly continuously, he managed to get himself to the Temple, though he knew in his heart he could not tell Lee'ena about how he was feeling. He was fairly sure that is she asked him about Morwen or his spiritual state of being, he'd vomit on her out of sheer guilt and anxiety, and that would be infinitely worse than, well, anything. He respected Lee'ena too much to puke on her.

He arrived around noon, which was evidently not a busy time for the Temple. It was almost empty, which made the stillness inherent in the place all the more evident. Hey, Lady, he thought, using his internal nickname for Morwen. How're you doing? It's been a while. He didn't sit himself down as if in meditation, but instead walked around the perimeter of the Temple as if going for a stroll. The walking was calming.

Lee'ena wasn't immediately visible, but she could have been in another room of the temple. Jossa was secretly glad that he didn't have to face her yet; he'd have a chance to immerse himself in the feel of the Temple, get comfortable with facing up to his spiritual lack. So, hey, look. I've been meaning to talk to you. I've got this problem.
Thought | Vani | Common
Jossa Skyglow
I just want to eat everything.

Words: 9312
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raneshe on August 15th, 2013, 10:16 pm

It was cold outside. Of course, it was always cold outside, but this day was particularly freezing to Raneshe. The Eypharian didn't not appreciate it, since it gave a certain crystal clarity to the air, but she preferred to be warm. It was especially dangerous to her, or anyone without a mark from Morwen. For some odd reason, she had felt like going to the Temple of Everwinter today. She didn't feel like that often.

Perhaps it was the simplicity of the architecture. It didn't overwhelm one's eyes and mind, it was just there. To be admired. She certainly liked the quietness of it all, and the Skyglow artwork. Raneshe felt as if she were the most elegant being in the world, and anyone who spoke would shatter the aura around her. The most elegant being in the world save the gods, of course.

She had bundled up in her robe and dress, bringing along a pillow from her bed to kneel on. Her feet made dull, heavy thumps that were more like vibrations instead of actual sounds. Raneshe entered the Temple, the bottom two pairs of her arms crossed. She still didn't know why she wanted to visit. She didn't even worship Morwen!

There was a man in the Temple. He looked to be Vantha, and was just kind of... Walking. The Eypharian practically stomped past him and dropped the pillow on the ground, kneeled and uncrossed her arms. Each pair fell onto her lap, and she looked up slightly. She would've preferred a temple to Syna, or even Makutsi, but Morwen would have to do.

Lady Morwen, I don't know why I've come here. But I have, and I was just wondering... How do the Vantha survive here? It's so cold all the time. Is it because I'm Eypharian? I hear my kind usually live in Eyktol. I don't seek answers, I just felt like talking. Don't tell anyone, but I think it's nice to drop the whole Eypharian superiority act every once and a while. Everyone expects my kind to act like that, right? So I feel as if I'm supposed to do what they expect.

The girl didn't expect an answer; After all, the one she primarily worshipped was Syna. Perhaps if she venerated Morwen more the cold would feel less biting.
Common | Thought | Vani | Arumenic
Raneshe
Player

Words: 3441
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 2:51 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet

Postby Jossa Skyglow on August 17th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Jossa almost didn't notice the Eypharian when she entered, which was kind of weird considering how noticeable Eypharians typically are, but Jossa was kind of distracted anyway. It wasn't until she stomped past that he broke out of his reverie and looked at her. She was young, around Jossa's age, and she seemed a little out-of-place, or awkward, or something; Jossa wasn't sure if it was just him, or if she really was feeling that way.

Hm. Uh, anyway. He looked away from the girl so as to give her some privacy. I just, you know. I'm not sure I remember what I'm supposed to be like, spiritually. You know? And I feel like if I were to talk to Lee'ena, she would be very nice but she wouldn't quite understand, being as close to you as she is. He continued his pacing. I just wish I could talk to you about it. Or someone who would know what I mean.

As that last thought echoed in his mind, he glanced at the Eypharian girl. She was sitting on her pillow, arms in her lap, looking upward. He couldn't tell if she was meditating or not, since he was standing behind her and couldn't see her eyes, but he had a feeling that she wasn't. Meditating was difficult for most, including the people that practiced every day, and though he didn't have much evidence for this, he had a feeling that she wasn't the type to practice often at all.

Maybe this is my chance. She's probably an outsider and probably doesn't know much about Morwen. We could talk about her.

So he slowly walked up to her and sat down on the bare floor beside her. "Hey." He didn't say anything for a moment, feeling a sudden awkwardness rising in his chest. Then: "Do you want to talk about her? Uh, Morwen, that is. And I'm Jossa. Uh, Skyglow." He cleared his throat and straightened his spine so as to adopt the meditative pose.

Oh, Gods, why did I do this? He mentally berated himself for a moment, then: I guess it couldn't hurt or anything, though.

Last edited by Jossa Skyglow on August 18th, 2013, 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thought | Vani | Common
Jossa Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raneshe on August 17th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Raneshe stiffened, but didn't look at the man next to her. Did she want to talk about Morwen? Of course she did. With a Vantha, though, it would be awkward. She stared straight ahead.

"Yes, please. I am Raneshe re Menehat."

It wouldn't hurt to talk a little bit about the goddess who resided in Avanthal, right? Raneshe shifted uncomfortably on the pillow. She hoped he would do all the talking and she wouldn't have to do anything. It was hard enough keeping the superiority complex mask up. It wasn't what she was taught to act like. She laced three pairs of fingers together, turning to look at... Jossa, did he say his name was? Skyglow. She knew that their last name was their hold name. Raneshe's posture was just barely slouching. He'd probably have changing eyes, unless he was half-Vantha. She liked their eyes.
Raneshe
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jossa Skyglow on August 18th, 2013, 5:32 am

The Eypharian girl - Raneshe - answered in the affirmative, albeit stiffly. Oh, and she speaks Common. Yeesh, I hope she speaks some Vani, or this could get tough. Maybe this wasn't a good idea.

He looked at her, trying to figure out what to say. Eypharians were supposed to be a race that lived in the desert, and while there were many factors that were different about the desert and the tundra, there were also many factors that were similar. He thought on this for a moment, letting the silence between them stretch on, before he said roughly in Common: "You know why we meditate? Morwen doesn't ask for things like prayer. She does not, uh, ask for us to do anything." He took a moment to gather his words. "Winter is about being still and quiet. We meditate to make our insides quiet. You know what I mean?"

Internally, he repeated those same words to himself. Yeah. Morwen doesn't ask for much. She doesn't demand worship or anything like that, but she is our leader, our Queen. It makes sense that we'd want to be like her. Whenever I've seen her, she's been so... Serene, like. Meditation is a way for us to achieve that. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it's a good goal to have. I wonder how I can achieve that...? He grinned at Raneshe, suddenly self-conscious.

"I think there are many ways to be good to Morwen, too. I do not meditate. I am not a good meditating person." He laughed a little and asked, a little haltingly, "What about you? How do you make your inside quiet?"

Thought | Vani | Common
Jossa Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raneshe on August 18th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Of course she knew what he meant. Raneshe scoffed, the action sounding forced.

"Of course I know what you mean. If you wish to speak Vani, I don't mind. I can understand the language, but I cannot mimic it myself. Not as beautifully as the aurora children can, at least."

She examined one of her hands, digging a bit of dirt out from under her nails. Looked away from Jossa.

"How do I made my inside quiet? I think. I think of Syna, and Makutsi. I wonder what it is like to be a goddess, and what my kind is like. Have you met anyone else of Eypharian blood? I haven't. I was raised by a Jamoura."

She wished she had known her parents better. Oh well. At least this Vantha was more... What was the word? Outgoing. He was more outgoing.
Raneshe
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jossa Skyglow on August 19th, 2013, 9:32 pm

When Raneshe scoffed at him, Jossa was a little taken aback, but only a little. He tried not to let his feelings get too hurt, so instead of thinking about it too much, he focused on her statements. "Ha. Thanks. My Common is okay, but I don't practice it often. And the beauty of language is in the language itself. You have a beautiful grasp of Common." He smiled gently at her.

"I haven't met another Eypharian, no. I've met plenty of Jamoura, though. They are a kind people. You know... If you wanted to, you could, you know. Travel. I mean, I know it's harder than that. But if you really felt bad, you could try and look for a place where you don't." He was silent for a moment. Then he said, in a small voice: "I think about it sometimes. Just getting out of here. But I don't know where I'd go. I'm a Vantha, so I belong here."

He cleared his throat and shifted his legs. "I think a lot, too. About Morwen, about other gods and goddesses. I think about the world, about love and friendship. We're alike in that, I suppose. We're thinkers." He smiled before continuing: "But mostly I paint and draw. When I do that, it's easier to just be. I could do it forever."

His leg cramped and he hastily unfolded it from beneath him, rubbing it and wincing. "Ah, jeez. See? No good at meditating. Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about Syna... Could you tell me about her?"

Thayer made this boxcode!

Thought | Vani | Common
Jossa Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raneshe on August 20th, 2013, 2:03 am

Rane figured they were both relieved when he switched back to Vani. She preferred listening to Vani when talking to the Vantha, instead of a rough Common. Her posture straightened with pride at his compliment. Her focus was on him now, Rane's sharp ears picking up the way his tongue formed the lyrical words. She could only hope to speak like that.

"You could always visit the Spires. It isn't too far away. It may be too warm for Vantha, though. Is it true you're uncomfortable in warmer climates?"

Ah, the Skyglow were artists. She remembered that now. How could she have forgotten, with their works adorning the walls of the Temple? Rane kicked herself mentally. Talk with him about Syna? She hadn't spoken of her goddess for so long, it took her a long while to come up with anything worth telling. He'd probably misinterpret the silence as a blunt 'no.'

"She's the goddess of the sun. You should know that much, at least. Her lover is Leth. He's the moon god. You should know that too. A large portion of Eypharians worship her, if what my Jamoura caretaker was true. My parents absolutely adored Lady Syna. I've tried to follow her as much as I can, but it's not easy here in the north, without fellow Eypharians to help you. You don't have to worry about it, your goddess lives here. It's her city."
Raneshe
Player

Character sheet