The Training has Begun- [Tabby]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Alodian Aviastas on August 13th, 2010, 5:30 pm

When the old man mentioned Rak'keli, Alodian nodded. He quite adores the Goddess, and would do anything for her. Hopefully by Master Jarret's teachings, he would be able to acquire another gnosis mark from the Goddess. He wasn't really familiar with philtering, but he was sure that he would be able to learn quickly. Alodian always had a knack for picking things up quickly. Alodian studied the old man, having loads of questions for him, but knowing that this was not the time. He did want to make a good impression, and did not want to mess up his first day.

"I understand. Do you typically have loads of customers, or not so many? I'm just trying to guess what i be doing most times," he said in broken Common. He also hoped that he would be able to learn fluent Common while being here, so he did not sound so illiterate. "I don't mind doing that, since I can always learn more from the Goddess. I would do anything for her," Alodian admired, as a smile played with his lips. His emeralds sparkled as he thought of the Goddess.

"Master Jarret, if I may ask, what made you in tune to this calling? Was it just a random decision, or what? I've never met any who like healing like I do, and you are the first," Alodian confessed, a boyish grin crossing his face. He didn't want to seem like he was prying; he just wanted to gain insight on what made people do what they do.
Last edited by Alodian Aviastas on August 25th, 2010, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Words: 38674
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2010, 2:24 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tabarnac on August 13th, 2010, 8:29 pm

"We have regular customers and emergencies, and both are regular," he spoke slowly so Alodian would understand him, but not so slowly as to be rude. "Many come with illnesses because I am known as an herbalist, but we do get broken bones and other injuries. Old folks with rheumatism especially in the colder months..."

His eyebrows beetled at Alodian, but he shared.

"I learned herbs from my mother. Finding them, growing them, using them. Medicine from another physician. Apprenticeship. We learn the Suvan medicine here, but much has been rediscovered in the past sixty years.

"Now, a regular customer is due for some things that we must prepare. Do you want to decoct the willow bark or prepare the laudanum?"
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on August 25th, 2010, 6:40 pm

As the old man told they young man of his beginnings, Alodian nodded. He could understand that, and he found that a rather simple explination. He thought that there might have been some radical explinaton, but Jarret proved that not to be true. He thought about what the old man had said about regulars needing healing for their broken bones when the winter months came and smiled, knowing that he could do that. At least there would be something for him hands on to do with his gnosis mark that he could use.

"Er I suppose I can prepare the laudanum if that would be alright?" he asked, not knowing if Jarret had a preference. Since he wasn't that skilled in Herbalism, Alodian thought that it might be better for the old man to quickly prepare the solution for the regular and perhaps teach Alodian the same thing later.
Last edited by Alodian Aviastas on August 25th, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on August 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Master Jarret grunted, and that was his approval of the plan. He gathered the bark of white willow and other paraphernalia for decocting, but kept an eye on Alodian. This was still his first day, so the tests would keep coming, but he wasn't about to let incorrectly prepared laudanum leave his shop in the hands of a customer. His new apprentice would learn how exacting he could be.

While the worked, he occasionally gave tips, but otherwise let him work unencumbered by micromanaging.

"Oh, later we will go to chapel and you can talk to the chaplain about the Goddess, yes?"
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on August 27th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Alodian saw that Jarret approved of the plan and got to work. He went over to the shelves and gathered a pot that looked to be about ten liters, a couple handfuls of poppies, a bottle of alcohol, aniseed, and a jar of sugar with dextrose in his other hand. Going over to the workstation, Alodian lay out all of the ingredients. Once the ingredients were put down, he went back to the shelves, grabbing a filter cloth, a few class jars, and a turkey baster, since he thought a syringe would not be the best choice for this.

Alodian rummaged around until he found a knife, and then proceeded to separate the poppies seeds from the straws. Once that was done, he filled the pot with the straws and covered them with water, not quite the ten liters, but more like seven. He took the pot to the stove, letting it come to a boil.

About thirty minutes later, Alodian gathered a bucket, placing the filter cloth over it. Once the poppies came to a boil, he poured the water out into the bucket, leaving the poppies in the pot. Once all the water was out, he filled the pot with as much fresh water as he had poured out, which was about three liters. He took the pot over to the stove, placing the pot once again on it to come to another boil. Alodian repeated this procedure for two more times. Once the poppies were mushy and brown, he discarded the poppies. In the bucket, he had about eight liters of the drained water.

After that was done, he gathered a few more pans, placing them on the stove. Alodian split up the drained water into the pans, turning the stove onto full blast. Taking a fan, he put the fan over the pans to cool them, so they wouldn't get to thick. About forty-five minutes later, Alodian removed the drained water and poured it into one pan, having around two liters left. Normally the next part would take about twelve hours, but Alodian decided to shorten that, considering they had a customer coming in. He Grabbed another pot, setting up a water bath over the stove, with the fan right over it. To speed up the process, he turned the stove on full blast again, knowing he would have to watch it carefully. In about an hours time, the rest of the water had evaporated, and the mixture was now as thick as syrup.

Alodian took the jars that he had gathered and poured the mixture in them, along with the alcohol. Putting the lids on them, he shook both jars thoroughly and set them down. Turning to Master Jarret, he smiled. "I believe that they should be ready to shake tomorrow. That's all I can do for now," he said, as he watched the old man's face for a reaction.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on August 27th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Jarret had been keeping tabs on Alodian's laudanum-making while taking care of his own work, and if Alodian's work wasn't practiced and sure, at least he was doing it right. He nodded when his apprentice glanced askance at him, and was about to give some tips when a bell tinkled, announcing a visitor, though the bell's sound was almost entirely blocked out by a child's wailing.

He raised an eyebrow at his apprentice and then motioned him toward the door. It was time to see how he handled patients and customers himself; trial by fire, as it were.

In the lobby, Mihai continued to make a ruckus, though whether he was more scared than hurt remained to be seen. He was cradling his right arm to his chest and staring around wild-eyed.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on August 27th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Alodian was waiting for Master Jarret to answer him, when he heard the bell tinkle. Looking at Jarret, Alodian saw the old man motioning for him to follow. As he followed Master Jarret into the front room, he heard Mihai wailing and cradling his arm. Seeing someone in pain was like taking a knife to his chest. Reacting on his healing instinct, Alodian went over and took a knee in front of the boy, smiling at Mihai. "There there Mihai. Why don't you tell me what happened?" he soothed, as he began thinking about all the possible solutions. He knew he wouldn't be able to heal the bone because of his single gnosis mark. Looking around the room, he located the splints and wraps, making a mental note of where they were in case he needed them.

Turning to Jarret, he locked eyes with the man, unsure of what the man wanted him to do. Turning back to Mihai, Alodian smiled again, thinking that what he could do was purify the wound. Without knowing what happened though, he couldn't accurately purify the damaged bone.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on September 12th, 2010, 8:13 am

Master Jarret made soothing noises, but that was about it. Clearly this was a case for Apprentice Aviastas. He wanted to see his new apprentice in action, and it was only Alodian's luck that young Mihai was the first person to injure himself within easy access of the physician to whom he had been apprenticed. It was a day of tests, but every day would be like that from now on as Master Jarret gauged Alodian's improvement.

Young Mihai seemed moderately soothed by the presence of Alodian, who was going to marry his sister and become his brother-in-law, and ensure that his nephews would be strapping young lads and that his nieces would be equally healthy and their bloodline would not die out, weakened by repetition.

The only thing was his right arm seemed to be broken somewhere near the wrist and it was hurting like anything while Alodian vacillated. The followers of Rak'keli were bound to heal. It didn't matter who. It didn't matter when. It didn't matter if the thing was beyond their skill. They had what amounted to a geas to heal those hurts that came before them, and Mihai didn't seem like he was going to stop crying until something was done.

Master Jarret didn't seem impressed by the delay.

OOCSo sorry for the delay. I must have looked at this and then forgotten to respond. Feel free to poke me if this ever happens again!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on September 12th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Alodian saw that Master Jarret was not pleased. Knowing he had to do something to ease Mihai's pain, Alodian turned back to the boy. "Alright Mihai, everything's going to be fine," he soothed, as he got up and went to the back. He quickly gathered a splint, a wrap, some cotton and another larger wrap. He pretty much ran back to where the crying boy was, getting back on his knees so he could better service the boy.

Putting all of the supplies down, he looked at the sobbing child. "Mihai, this is going to hurt a bit. However, in order for me to help, I'm going to need to touch your arm," he warned. Knowing the boy was in pain, he didn't have time for the boy to answer. Gently pushing back Mihai's sleeve, Alodian took the boys arm into his hands. Using his skills, Alodian did his very best to purify the limb, to make sure no infections were brewing that were not seen. Noticing bruising, Alodian used his acquired skills to get rid of that. It wouldn't completely heal the bone, but it would take some of the pain away. Once that was done, Alodian took the cotton and wrapped it around his arm, wrapping the splint around the cotton. When the splint was in place, Alodian wrapped what he had so far done in a wrap, so the cotton and splint would stay in place until the bone was healed. When the arm was secure, he took the longer wrap in his hands. He took and end in each hand, putting one under the right arm, and then bringing both sides round the boys neck. Once a sling was created, he tied the ends, so the arm sat slightly elevated. "That should help keep it still for a while. Now if you give me a moment, I need to get a remedy from the back. I will only be a moment," lodin sid, as he hurried to the back of the store.

Once there, he moved very quickly. He gathered Comfrey plants,a knife, and jar with a lid. He took the knife and finely chopped the roots of the Comfrey plant. He placed the chopped roots into the jar, long with 1/4 litre of cold water, soaking the roots. He gathered more Comfrey plants, once again finely chopping them. He put a little bit in a cup, the rest going in the second jar. These he put in another jar with no water. He filled the cup with cold water, placing the cup over the heat source. Once he was satisfied that it was heated sufficiently, he removed the cup. He quickly cleaned up the area he had worked in and grabbed the jars and cup, heading to the front.

"Here Mihai, drink this. This should dull the pain sufficently," he said, as he handed the boy the cup. "I am also giving you extra for the next few days. You are to use 2 teaspoons of the herb in this jar and soak them in a 1/4 litre cold water overnight. To be ready to drink, it needs to be slightly warmed in the morning, strained and taken in sips. Take this for a few days and you should see a dramatic improvement," Alodian said, as he looked to Master Jarret.
Last edited by Alodian Aviastas on September 17th, 2010, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on September 17th, 2010, 3:32 pm

When Alodian returned, Mihai was sitting in Master Jarret's lap on a chair. He was finishing up some story or another that had helped abate the boy's tears. While Alodian combined first aid, herbalism, philtering, and the gifts of his goddess, Jarret had added a bit of bedside manner. The boy was accident prone, more so than most boys his age due to that streak of adventurousness in him, and he had often come to Jarret for bone-setting, fever-breaking, and the like.

If Jarret could impart anything upon his apprentice, it would be the ability to heal with nothing more than lovingkindness. Fear and pain got in the way of the healing process, and compassion augmented the best medical skills and potions.

He smiled up at Alodian, eyes twinkling. It was clear that he had the same affection for Mihai as if the boy had been his grandson, and given the complicated bloodlines of Denval, that was entirely possible.

"All right, all right," he groused at the boy. "Get off me now. You're nearly as big as Alodian and I'm an old, frail man. Your mother knows how to brew comfrey now better than I do thanks to you. Go on and be careful."

Mihai smiled, rose, took the cure from Alodian and wrapped his good arm around the apprentice healer.

"Thank you," he said in a suitably chastened voice, though he would probably be attempting to climb buildings on the morrow.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext