Foreigners (Alodian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Marius on July 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm

20th of Summer, 510 AV

Marius strode through the streets of Denval, casting the occasional leer at an old woman and disapproving looks at knots of children. Suspicious little imps, the lot of them. But even their antics couldn’t wipe the grin from his face. He’d just spent half the day surveying the immense pile of rubble that ringed the town, and he was unable to contain his glee. Layers and layers and layers of rock – how delicious! He could only imagine the caverns and tunnels that no doubt honeycombed the blessed heap.

In fact, Marius had decided that he was fond of Denval. It possessed a certain rustic charm – not to mention that delectable morsel of a captain. For her, he'd trade all of Zeltiva’s perfumes and other fripperies. He wasn’t quite so much the fop as he appeared, after all. Marius liked caves, shiny things, bats, porridge, and mushrooms – all of which he could find here. He still needed to capture a bat, though. Perhaps one of the fisherfolk could rig him some sort of a net.

Marius paused outside of the Lyceum. His only real complaint was the fact he couldn’t understand half of what these people were saying. How, exactly, did one respond to such ambiguity? Marius was fast learning that the wink and nod approach was more trouble that it was worth. Wasn’t Denval supposed to have a burgeoning population of foreign settlers? If so, he hadn’t seen them. Just those insufferable wretches in the Guildhall. “Where are all the foreigners?” he lamented.
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Words: 26675
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 25th, 2010, 11:31 pm

What a glorious day it was! After only being here just a few short days, Alodian was already getting accustomed to things. He watched the people; what they did, how they did it, how they spoke, even taking note of the different languages used. He noticed that everyone was indeed human, and that besides Astrid, they all had similar features. As he was getting to know everyone, he was also getting to know the streets and buildings. He loved that all the buildings were different, due to the fact that their owners took care of them differently. One building that has stood out to him was the Lyceum. It was such a wonderful place for learning and discovery! Granted he had yet to actually do anything in there besides walk and explore, he still found it to be a marvelous place.

As Alodian was coming out of the mesmerizing building from another one of his exploration walks, he nearly ran right into another man. He stopped himself just in time, making sure that he never actually touched him. What a terrible introduction that would have made! He heard the man ask where all the foreigners were, and had to contain himself from laughing out loud. How ironic was it to run into this man, with Alodian being a foreigner himself? "I don't know about you, but it would seem that most, if not all the people of Denval is natives. Although from looks of things, you are not," Alodian spoke in broken Common, but it was still understandable with a few grammatical errors. "But neither am I. My name's Alodian," he said as he stuck out his hand to the man.
Last edited by Alodian Aviastas on July 27th, 2010, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Words: 38674
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2010, 2:24 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Marius on July 26th, 2010, 9:07 pm

As if conjured by magic, a young man stepped from Lyceum and introduced himself. Although his common wasn’t as fluent as a native speaker’s, at least it wasn’t Denvali gibberish.

“Ah, what a surprise!” Marius beamed as he shook the proffered hand. “I’m pleased to meet you, friend Alodian. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Marius Mero, a miner and explorer of caverns, chasms, and crevices. No tunnel is too dark and no slope too steep for brave Marius! Why, I am like a bat – or a spider. A master of the subterranean!” Abruptly, Marius bit his lip. He hadn’t spoken in the third person, had he?

“Er… forgive me, Alodian. I tend to overexcite myself. It is sometimes difficult to recall that not all men are blessed with my particular obsession.” In fact, Marius had yet to meet another person outside his clan with the same fanaticism for rocks and minerals. Not that it mattered. By now he was accustomed to the stolid nods and dismay writ on the faces of his companions.

“Tell me, how long have you been in Denval?” Marius said to Alodian. “Myself, I have spent but two days upon these shores. It has a rustic charm, this village,” Marius admitted. It was hard to muster any stronger praise, seeing as he was from lovely Zeltiva, after all. Denval was only redeemed by its saucy captain and the allure of its surroundings. Oh, the rubble! Marius could feel his heart skip a beat. He wished his ‘nuncle Ambrose could see this place. Its promise was infinite.
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 27th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Shaking Marius' hand, Alodian nodded. "I have only been here three days so far. I find it amazing how a city can be such an attention grabber! In my Avanthal, it is nice, but always snowy and icy. Here there are vibrant colors of sorts," he translated, as he smiled at Marius. He had noticed that this man had spoken in the third person, but he had let it go. Everyone was different, no? "I am not much for spiders, but bats I do not mind. I usually study herbs and different medicines. I am a healer," Alodian said, telling the man a bit about himself.

"Tell me Marius, do you plan on staying in Denval long, or are you leave soon?" he asked in broken Common, hoping that the man could understand him. If only he could meet more people like Astrid around here who knew his language, he would be set. "I tend to agree. This place is absolutely stunning, although I've only been Wind Reach besides my homeland," he said, trying to concentrate on the words he was trying to translate. Hopefully he would be able to learn to fluently speak Common while he was here. Wanting to know more about this man, Alodian thought for a moment. "Where are you staying? Have you met Captain Astrid yet?" he asked, wondering if the man would have a job here, or if he was simply just visiting and wouldn't be here long enough to be settled in.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Marius on July 27th, 2010, 8:46 pm

“A healer!” Marius exclaimed with a smile. “I am fortunate to make you acquaintance, then. A miner’s life is not a sheltered one, I fear. In two years at the Syliran mines my list of ailments ranged from scrapes and tunnel rot to a fractured spine – and I was considered lucky. But I digress.”

“I shall remain here, friend Alodian, as long as there are tunnels to explore and rubble to shift. Indeed, I am of the opinion that I will die here,” Marius said cheerfully. After all, was Denval not a miner’s paradise? So many rocks, all begging to be shattered and overturned. It was a dream come true. “Astrid is a rare beauty, is she not?” he licked his lips. “I should like to copulate with her at some point. But despite the allure, she seems a capable leader. Do you not agree?”

Marius brushed an imagined speck of dust his sleeve. “I’m actually one of Astrid’s tenants – though only until I have constructed a home of my own design. I intend to live in a cave,” he proclaimed with a mixture of pride and enthusiasm. Often the people of Zeltiva laughed at him for this aspiration. ‘Why live in a cave?’ they’d ask. ‘How will you see? Won’t there will be bats?’ Marius was used to such responses.

“Have you a dwelling of your own, friend Alodian? Or indeed, a practice? I daresay the Denvalis shall benefit greatly from your ministrations.”
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on August 13th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Nodding his head, Alodian smiled. "I shall be available if you do need me, although I cannot heal the bigger wounds. You have to see Master Jarret for that," he said, rubbing his hands together. Looking around, he listened to the rest of what Marius had said. "Excellent. I do not explore such as you do, but it would be a nice adventure, no?" he asked, chuckling. "As for Captain Astrid, yes, she is a catch and a qualified leader. But I don't think she is for me, as there is something about her that is mysterious," he said curiously, trying to think of what made the Captain so different from any other he had met.

"You design houses? That is a neat trick. Astrid assigned me to a house near Jarret's practice, which I joined. I am not skill enough to have my own business, so I learn from Jarret. He is a nice old hoot," Alodian chuckled, as he looked toward the sky. "I like how it calm and beautiful here. It makes me want to just jump into the color," he grinned, looking at his new friend. "If I may ask, what attracts you to rubble? Is it part of your race? Or do you do it on spare time?" he wondered, interested to learn about another race.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Marius on August 14th, 2010, 9:15 pm

"Why, stone is bone, of course!" Marius smiled as he repeated one of this 'nuncle Ambrose's favorite euphemisms. Come to think of it, he'd never understood what it meant - but he rather liked the way it sounded. "I would not presume to say that I design houses, for I do not. Most of them are too flimsy for my taste. No, my friend, I spoke of the cave I wished to hew from the rock. It shall be a superior dwelling in all regards save for the absence of natural light - but that is a sacrifice I am prepared to make. Mining is my passion, you see. I cannot help but delve into the earth and discover its secrets, just like my father and his father before him - and of course, my mother, although she prefers to work with metals."

Marius paused to breathe and swat at a mosquito, and then took a closer look at their surroundings. As Alodian contended, Denval did seem to be straight from a painter's canvas, although it didn't hold a candle to Zeltiva. Marius made a mental note to locate a candle-maker. He tended to go through quite a few in his line of work.

"it seems to me, Alodian, that we are at a loss in this place. How well do you understand the locals here? I cannot make hide nor hair of what they say most of the time, and that's on a good day. Perhaps it's to do with that awful porridge. My nether regions are unsettled."
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on August 25th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Alodian chuckled at Mariius. He sure was a strange character! He liked the way that his new friend explained things, as well as how he had such an odd way of explainign things. "I do not fluent speak the language, but I do understand it enough to try to make out what the natives are saying. It difficult yes, but I hope to speak it as well as my native tongue," Alodian said as he smiled. "All is well even if you don't design houses, but I still find it as well that you can make such works of art," he complimented Marius, as he noddced his head.

"Your mother handles metal? Now that is superb! In Avanthal, women are to take care of the home while the men take care of the provisions of food," Alodian said as he put a hand to his chest. "We do differ from our natural callings like I did with the healing, but we never forget our main duty. Although, my mother would take care of others beside me. Most of our race takes care of our own, like big family," Alodian stated with a nod of his head.

"Well you are welcome in my dwelling whenever you see fit. Live next to Mihai, the energetic, stout boy. It's not much, but it does do the job," he said, extending the welcome to Marius into his own home. He could see that Marius would be a great friend to him, and vice versa.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Marius on August 30th, 2010, 1:23 am

”I should like to copulate with a lass from Avanthal," Marius licked his lips. How enchanting Alodian's kind were, what with those dark manes and luminous eyes that seemed to hint at subtle emotions. Indeed, apart from the Ethaefal, Marius could not imagine a race he wished to copulate with more.

“Have you any sisters?” he inquired of Alodian, and then absently, “I don’t suppose you’d care to throw a leg over a cousin of mine. I have several, most of whom are teases or strumpets – and then there’s Alia, may Semelle rot her soul. I fear there’s not the fortune made that could entice you to copulate with her.” Marius’ face screwed up with distaste. How he hated Alia and her nasal breathing. It was simply intolerable!

“Shall we head to your home, Alodian? Or perhaps to my humble residence?” Marius beamed. “I should like to know more about your people and their customs. I shall not have my flirtations balked by simple ignorance, you must understand. After all, the pride of the Meros is most cirumspect! Do you dance, my friend?”
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Foreigners (Alodian)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on September 4th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Alodian let out a laugh when Marius suggested he try and hook up with his sisters. "Well friend, I do not think it could hurt. I am looking for a companion, and have been for a while. Who knows was will happen," he said with a sly grin, as his eyes gleamed. Marius was an odd fellow, but such a fellow that intrigued Alodian to want to know more about his race. "I do not care where we go. Whatever is your preference friend," Alodian said as he grinned. "I do not have a problem showing you my residence, as long as you don't mind a temperamental old man who is my Mentor," he said as he described Jarret. He did like the old man, but he wasn't sure how Master Jarret would feel about a newcomer.

Alodian tried to contain his embarrassment when Marius asked him if he danced. "I'm afraid my feet are two left ones. I am as good at dancing as a cat is good at swimming. It's just not a good mix. I have to say that i never encountered anyone who actually could dance, so that might explain things. Do your people like to dance?" he asked curiously, wondering just exactly this guy came from. He surely would like to meet this race to see if everyone was as interesting as he was portraying!
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next