Crossing the Bridge

Hornet tries to avoid getting squashed during rush hour

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Hornet on September 2nd, 2013, 9:00 pm

8th of Fall, 513 AV, Early Evening
Riverfall, Christina's Remorse

It had been a long day. In the morning, a grandson of council member Genvisv Utovosm had come by. The boy would celebrate his ninth birthday soon, and wanted to have invitations for the party written. He didn't even want calligraphy, just fifty times the exact same, simple message. Then during the afternoon, the owner of Laviku's Secret had visited to complain, and the young scribe had to spend a good two bells explaining that all messages would be removed after ten days, and that no exceptions would be made for businesses, no matter how important. The nag even had the audacity to involve other visitors in his complaining, so no one else lingered long. The Pycon was glad the day was over. All he had left to do was to record it in his journal and enjoy the lovely evening. The Knirin Gardens would be perfect for that.

To get there, he would have to cross the Bluevein, unless he wanted to make it all the way down to the Plunge Pool Bay to find a ferry or pass through the aquarium, of course. So he made his way to Christina's Remorse, the only bridge over the river. He didn't like to use the old bridge, but he liked the extreme detour that would be necessary to avoid it even less. The prospect of an enjoyable evening in the Gardens made the crossing bearable. Still, there were more enjoyable things to do then crossing a swaying bridge with little room to avoid the feet of inattentive big ones. Especially in the early evening, when the streets were filled with people heading their way home after work.

Usually, Hornet would stick to the side of the road, where traffic was lighter and he could get out of the way if necessary. On Christina's Remorse, that would mean getting awfully close to a three thousand foot drop, though. Here, he had little choice but to stick to the middle of the road, where traffic was busiest. So in order to avoid accidents, he made sure he was noticed.

"Please mind where you place your feet! Pycon coming through! Pay attention please! Don't lumber forward blindly, watch your step! I'm trying to cross, here!"

The turtle-like Pycon crawled onto the wooden planks, yelling like a street vendor. His blindfold darted in all directions, trying to spot anyone who did not heed his cries. His progression was slow as always, but he would get there, eventually.
Last edited by Hornet on December 4th, 2013, 8:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hornet
How would you like to call me?

Words: 30542
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2013, 10:56 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 4th, 2013, 4:20 am

Timestamp: 8th of Fall, 513AV

What had started out as a leisurely walk over the waterfall was rapidly turning into a footrace. Nearly running to keep up with the flow of larger Akalak foot traffic, Kirsi found herself with no time and no safe opportunity to enjoy the view she sought.

Why are they all so tall? It was a thought borne of frustration, Kirsi knew, and yet she couldn't quite stifle it. She had lived in Riverfall for just over a season now, and loved it. Mostly. Except on days like this. She had been meaning to come to Christina's Remorse for days, but never seemed to find the time. So today, after working for what seemed like 100 bells with clay that refused to take the exact shape she was after... Kirsi had decided to indulge herself.

The walk from Garob's shop, and her attic apartment had been a pleasant one. The chill of the early evening air was a balm to her senses; it reminded her that Morwen visited everywhere, in her own time. And her time was soon. Kirsi, for one, couldn't wait. Some of the Rivarians on the bridge today had already donned their heavier, cool-weather garb and it made Kirsi smile. Weather like this, in Avanthal, would have citizens shedding layers faster than-

Kirsi stopped in mid-thought, sure she was hallucinating.

A small clay statue(?) stood in the middle of the bridge. No, that wasn't right. It was moving, but painfully slowly. Kirsi cocked her head, watching it as it scrambled up onto a plank, inched across it, and advanced to the next. Fascinating! She could only half-recall ever hearing of such a thing in a story her grandfather used to tell. It involved a visitor to his childhood Arvinta; from what Kirsi could remember, it had been a small, living clay woman. Unfortunately, she also remembered that the story had not had a happy ending - the tiny woman had fallen, shattering on the ice.

While she'd been remembering, Kirsi's pace had slowed nearly to a standstill, causing the surrounding rush of Akalak and other beings to grumble and glare in her direction. Dragging herself out of her reverie, she blushed and apologized to those nearest her before approaching the clay figure - petch it all, but she could not remember what they might be called.

Looking around to be certain she was not in any immediate danger of being bowled over, she crouched down closer to the... Blind clay turtle?

Oh, surely not!

At this distance, she could clearly make out his words:

"Please mind where you place your feet! Pycon coming through! Pay attention please! Don't lumber forward blindly, watch your step! I'm trying to cross, here!"

Pycon! That was it! She had to give him credit; the little Pycon's assertiveness was no match for its size. She wondered briefly what the protocol was for offering assistance in this situation. Having no clue how to proceed, she simply offered a greeting and charged ahead bluntly.

"Hello? Do you - Can I help you?"

Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Words: 123239
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Hornet on September 5th, 2013, 7:11 pm

The offer of help was unexpected, as most people simply avoided the clay man, with a snarky remark thrown in from time to time for good measure. So when the human woman actually crouched down to talk to him, she stood out from the crowd, despite her relatively small size. Especially because she was more of an obstacle for crossing Akalak then he was.

As he put on a burst of speed to scuttle the last yard to the relative safety of her shadow, he pondered her question. Did he need help? Not really, he could manage to cross the bridge on his own. Could she help him? Most definitely. The presence of someone who was not nearly as easily overlooked would make the crossing much easier. On the other hand, she was more then a foot smaller then even the smallest Akalak. The hustle and bustle of the bridge must be uncomfortable for her as well. He did not want her to endure more of it on his account.

"Hey there! Only if you're sure it isn't too much trouble. The bridge is rather busy, and Akalak just never look down. At least they'll see you. But please don't go out of your way to help me. I don't want to be a burden to anyone."

He had heard that even though humans never showed their experiences, they sometimes showed their emotions on their face. So as he spoke, he studied her face, his blindfold going over her features one by one. The line of her mouth, was that a smile or a grimace? The golden color on her cheeks, was that what one called blushing? And what could he learn from her eyes? If he was to go out in the world, he would meet a lot of humans, so he had to get this down sometime. Now was as good a time as any to practice.
Last edited by Hornet on December 4th, 2013, 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hornet

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 7th, 2013, 2:44 am

"But please don't go out of your way to help me. I don't want to be a burden to anyone."

What a curious creature; it clearly had a blindfold, and yet the face was upturned, seemingly focused on Kirsi's. Equal parts baffled, amused, and curious, she offered the clay being a wide smile.

"Its no trouble at all," she began, then glanced around and shrugged lightly. "Or at least no more trouble than the crossing already was. But you're traveling awfully slowly." She winced - that had sounded worse out loud than in her head. Rushing to clarify, so added, "I'm sorry, I don't really know if this is going to be rude or not, but - would you like to hitch a ride to the other end of the bridge? I can't promise it won't be bumpy-"

Her warning was punctuated by a timely bit of jostling from the passersby. Reaching out to steady herself, she touched her hand to the bridge. Just as quickly, she lifted it; Akalak feet would wreak no end of havoc with her fingers, and then she'd be unable to carve either wood or clay. Not that it would make my efforts with the clay noticeably worse, she thought wryly.

"I can't promise it won't be bumpy," Kirsi repeated to the small clay figure, "But it would probably get us both out of the flow of traffic faster."

As she awaited a response, Kirsi studied the Pycon. It did look very much like a blindfolded turtle. Landspeed seemed about the same, too, though to be fair, she imagined he might move at a perfectly acceptable speed for a being of his size. But the most interesting feature, to Kirsi, was the shell; it seemed to be etched with letters of varying size and artistry. On the whole, the Pycon seemed like a decorative piece one might find in a library. Only, obviously, alive.

Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Hornet on September 9th, 2013, 8:43 am

The one thing he noticed as he studied her was the color of her eyes. It was sliding between violet and green, taking a slightly blueish tint whenever the two colors met. It didn't tell him much yet, but it was a shift he would keep in mind; perhaps he could discover a pattern eventually.

But not here, not now. The busy crowd on the bridge made long conversations or observations flat out dangerous. Even in the short time it took the woman to make her offer, the big brutes didn't manage to avoid her. Hornet's initial instinct was to burst into a tirade against the offender. This lady had come to his aid, and shouldn't have to suffer from it. But when she kept her cool, he managed to do so as well. If he picked a fight, she would likely get tangled up in it, and that would be exactly the opposite of what he was trying to achieve. She was right though, the less time they spent on this bridge, the better.

"In that case, I'll gladly take you up on your offer," he replied. "You're completely right, the faster we get away from this procession of big oafs, the better it is. Just let me climb onto your shoulder and we should be good to go."

The rest of the distance was quickly covered. Because she was kneeling, it was no problem whatsoever to grab some of the fabric of her trousers and start the ascend along her outer thigh. With the incredible amount of handholds, and the solid background, it was as easy as climbing a rope ladder. He just moved one hand at a time, while the other three kept him from falling. His route was clear as well. Outer thigh, hip, and then up the back to the shoulder. He should be there soon enough.

OOC :
Didn't want to finish climbing without giving you a chance to respond. There's no need to get tangled in minutiae though. He should arrive in your next post, unless you want to carry him somewhere else. Feel free to godmod slightly for story progression.
Last edited by Hornet on December 4th, 2013, 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hornet

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 11th, 2013, 4:07 pm

It was interesting, Kirsi mused, to be used as a tree, or rock wall. The tiny figure scaling her clothes did so with amazing efficiency, and in no time at all had managed to secure himself at her shoulder. She felt small hands grasping at her shirt, and waited until her passenger had settled himself before standing.

"All set, then? Were you headed anywhere in particular, or just off the bridge?" Weaving her way in and out of traffic, Kirsi couldn't help but pay more attention to things like posture and speed. As a result, she was held herself almost uncomfortably erect, moving with deliberate concentration while also trying to match the speed of the Akalak men surrounding her. It was a sound theory, but taking three steps to every one of theirs meant nearly running just to keep within the flow of movement.

Since a run would hardly be the safest way to carry the little clay turtle, she dismissed that option out of hand. Straying nearer the edge, where there was less chance of being jostled for being slow, Kirsi managed to relax marginally, even stealing a glance or two down at the water below. What she saw only increased her interest; the angle was breathtaking. Kirsi was sure that, if she only had time to stand and stare, she would find inspiration there for a great many works.

The water held a strange fascination for her; its fluid, crashing movements so unlike the ice-topped waterways of Avanthal. It was beautiful and powerful and intimidating. The carver in her accepted the challenge, and she knew that she would be trying her hand at waves and watery creations soon.

"Well, that wasn't too bad," she said, smoothly exiting the flow of Rivarians. Kirsi veered off the road to stop and regroup. Certainly she wouldn't recommend sitting down in the middle of a bridge during the busiest time of the day to anyone, but it had led to a clay experience that at least didn't leave her cursing and hitting things. "They don't seem to look down much, though, do they?"

Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Hornet on September 12th, 2013, 8:26 am

The climb went without a hitch, as expected. He made himself comfortable, getting a tight hold with all four hands. When she rose it came not unexpected, but it was still a peculiar experience. He had climbed to human height before, but never had he risen at this speed. It was a bit dizzying, so he almost failed to catch her question.

It wouldn't have mattered much if he had missed it completely though, as she set off before he had formulated his reply. The experience was absolutely exhilarating and kept him occupied for the next couple of minutes. If felt like he flew through the air, moving at this pace and height. Even when she reduced her speed, he still was moving far faster then he had ever done before. He was amazed that she managed to avoid any collisions, let alone that she found the time to sneak a glance at the river below. All he could do was hold on tight and hope she knew what she was doing. A small sigh of relief escaped him when she left the bridge and came to a halt. The journey had been a wonderful, extremely exciting experience, but traveling this way would take some time getting used to. Only when she stopped and things slowed down again did he find the breath to answer her.

"I guess it's not much of a surprise that they don't look down, as they move even faster then you do. They must be far too busy looking for obstacles that could be dangerous to them. I guess it's just something to take into account when you're much shorter then they are.

Anyway, to answer your earlier question: I was making my way to the Knirin Gardens. I've got the evening to myself, and decided to go somewhere to calm down a bit after a horrible day at work, to reflect on it in my journal. Feel free to drop me off here, though; you've already done far more then you had to. Now that I'm off the bridge, I can make my way over without trouble. I'll just stick to the side of the road and hop aside if someone gets too close. It's only on the bridge, where such maneuvres would result in a long drop, that I have to make the Akalak notice me."

The Pycon paused for a moment. She really had done far more then she had to. How could he prove worthy of her help? Especially when, judging by her earlier remarks, she would likely be loath to accept anything in return. He would have to try to be subtle about it, but to even attempt subtlety he would need to know more about her.

"It may be a bit of a forward question, but why did you help me? You could have done like the Akalak did: step around me and continue on your merry way. Yet you didn't. You noticed me, took the time to talk to me, and decided to help me."
Last edited by Hornet on December 4th, 2013, 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hornet

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 13th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Though she had questioned the pycon with the full intent to initiate conversation while they walked, his answers left her a bit surprised. Kirsi realized she had been expecting a less logical, complete rationale, and something more... Juvenile instead. Knowing instinctively that her assumption would be offensive to the diminutive being, she wisely held her tongue. On the heels of that realization, she wondered if the Akalak of Riverfall ever felt the same way about her. So much shorter than they were, seemingly delicate in nature; did they view her as naive? Dependent, due to her size? It was an uncomfortable thought.

"It may be a bit of a forward question, but why did you help me? You could have done like the Akalak did: step around me and continue on your merry way. Yet you didn't. You noticed me, took the time to talk to me, and decided to help me."

She inclined her head, thinking. The question, delivered with such sincere curiosity, deserved a formulated answer. Except that Kirsi didn't have an answer. Why had she helped? Because he'd looked as though he needed it. Because, if she were honest, the thought of seeing the little figurine crushed beneath the sightless masses, unnoticed and unremarked and unnecessary-- No, that was dramatic and untrue. Even if she'd have been given to those kinds of thoughts, there simply hadn't been time between seeing the clay figure and walking up to him.

"I helped," she began slowly, "because you looked like you needed it." A light shrug punctuated the statement, before she realized the movement probably wouldn't be welcomed by her passenger. "Oops! Sorry," she apologized instantly. The simple explanation was, perhaps, not what the small being was looking for in the way of an answer, but it was all the motivation Kirsi'd had. The fact that he'd asked her why when it had been more instinct than plan... "Why does anyone help? Don't most people just do things because its the thing to do?" It was a genuine question; Kirsi had assumed, until now, that people just helped because help was needed. There didn't have to be another reason.

Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Hornet on September 18th, 2013, 6:47 am

He didn't have much to work with this time around. From the side, her face was hidden by a cascade of flowing hair, so without eyes he would have to try to read her emotions from her body language. A small inclination of the head, a tiny tightening of the muscles, a complete shift of the location of his perch... every single one of them might hold meaning, so he made sure to observe them all, though he noticed the last one more then most. His hands clutched her shirt a little tighter as he waited for her shoulder to turn level again. When it did, he could start thinking about what she had said.

She gave such a simple reason, yet it exemplified a wonderful philosophy. If more people helped because it's the thing to do, the world would be a marvelous place. But his experiences were different. He had been taught because the Pyve paid for the privilege. He had to work to earn the protection Riverfall provided. And that one time, he had simply been left a paste on the street who had to figure out how to get home on his own. Sure, everyone in the Pyve was always helpful, but they knew he would help them as well. He feared the day when they discovered the truth, that he couldn't do all that much to begin with, that he might not be worth the help he got.

"It seems to me that most people help because of what they get out of it," he replied thoughtfully. He would have to balance his words carefully. On the one hand, he wanted to preserve the innocence that spoke from her words, while on the other, it would be far too easy for anyone to take advantage of her. "Sometimes, they'll help simply for the gratitude they'll receive, but even then, they'll be unlikely to help again if they aren't shown gratefulness. If you help without expecting anything in return, you run the risk of people asking for your help all the time out of simple convenience." This warning seemed like a good opportunity to make the transition he had hoped for. "In fact, I would be thankful if you allowed me to help you in some way. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that I'd taken advantage of you."

As he waited for her answer, he studied her again. She was special in more ways then one, and didn't even seem to realize it. Not only had she been immediately offering her help, which was remarkable enough, but she had been wise enough not to immediately ask for his name. Quite often, the big ones wanted to know it immediately, as if a decision made when you were young was the main thing that defined who you were. Perhaps she actually realized that a name could define a relationship between two people? It was unlikely, but she deserved a special name just in case. Probably something to do with the way she had stopped for him on the bridge, or else with her willingness to help in general.
Last edited by Hornet on December 4th, 2013, 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hornet

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Crossing the Bridge

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 21st, 2013, 12:43 am

"It seems to me that most people help because of what they get out of it...I would be thankful if you allowed me to help you in some way. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that I'd taken advantage of you."

The Pycon's words made a sort of sense, Kirsi supposed, but it wasn't a happy sense. If he were right, and most people only helped to better their own situation, then who could reasonably expect assistance if they needed it? Only the wealthy, or the highly skilled; those with means to repay the 'debt' incurred by the assistance. It was a sobering thought, and one that Kirsi preferred not to dwell on, for it painted people as a whole in an unflattering light.

Bypassing the clay turtle's offer to help her, for now, she instead offered another thought. "I suppose, at the core of it, I help because I want people to see me as a kind person..?" It was said quizzically, a thought half-formed that Kirsi was fleshing out only as she spoke. It was hard work, figuring the why of something that she did just as a matter of course. "I helped, I help, rather, because I'd like to think that someone would help me, if I were in need. And you can't go around expecting something from other people that you're not willing to do yourself, now can you?"

Satisfied with her own logic, she gave the question no more thought. Ah, but the tiny figure had asked to help her in return. But with what? "Please don't be offended, but--" Here she paused delicately, searching for the right words, "I'm not sure you can help me, currently. My biggest struggles at the moment center around learning how to sculpt clay when all I've ever done is carve wood." A half-chuckle escaped her lips; even to her own ears that sounded like a silly thing to fret about. "But, certainly, if you could offer any assistance there, I wouldn't turn it down."
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next