PM to join A family reunion, of sorts

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A family reunion, of sorts

Postby Enki on September 15th, 2013, 3:19 pm

"They make lamps and candles for that", Enki mumbled but let her leave the curtains open.

Enki didn't yet bother unpacking, he simply pushed his bag under the bed for now.

"What do you mean? Tell you? Oh that." He sighed. "Well, you know, the usual argument about magic. We'd had more and more of them lately. So when they told me we'd be moving again, well I" Enki blushed lightly "told them I wouldn't be going. We ended up arguing about that too, and it came down to the usual."

He paused, looking her way.

"What are you writing?"
Enki
Player

Words: 4593
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2013, 11:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Azelle on September 16th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Azelle chuckled a little at his reaction to the light. “They do, but the daylight feels a lot more comfortable, and why waste oil when we can just use this?” she asked, not looking up from her page. She nodded, somewhat less jovially as Enki mentioned that he had gotten into another argument with their parents. “I figured as much. What made you decide not to go with them this time?”

Azelle blew gently on the paint as she finished the center focus of the sigil and began painting runes around the borders of the page.

“I’m drawing a glyph. It’s used for capturing, storing, and releasing magic at a later date.” Azelle answered. Come here.” She suggested, motioning with one hand.

Halting her painting for a moment, she pointed towards the image that he had emblazoned in the center of the page.

“This part is the focus. What image is used generally varies from wizard to wizard, but this design has worked well enough for me so far. This is the part that performs the basic job of capturing magic in the first place.”

Her hand shifted, motioning toward the runes on the outskirts. “These, are what I’m using as a trigger. Once the trigger is activated, it will disable the barrier, which I’ll be drawing shortly.”
Azelle
Player

Words: 7711
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2013, 12:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enki on September 16th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Shrugging he replied.

"This time they let me choose. Plus well, three years of the same arguments and little to no actual findings didn't exactly leave me wanting more of the same for an unknown period of time."

Walking up next to her he takes in the short lesson.

"I see, I never really had time to start Glyphing myself. So what are you going to use this one for?"
Enki
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Azelle on September 16th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Azelle nodded. “They mean well I’m sure. But I understand how you feel. There’s still so much more to learn here. I’ve been concidering setting out on a trip of my own, but not in the near future. Perhaps once I start running out of things here.”

She gave a simple shrug as she continued to work. “It sounds as though you at least understand the basics of what the barrier and trigger do, though I suppose the names aren’t exactly cryptic.” Azelle commented as she finished her runes and moved into the area between the outer edge of the sigil, and the focus itself. “Hmm, I might have made the focus a little too large…I’ll have to use more compact barriers for the path…” she idly muttered to herself.

Slowly, she began the process of painting an elaborate, wide spanning series of curved glyphs around the outer edge as she answered his question. “What am I going to do with this scroll? Well, it’s mostly just for practice, but I’m going to store a significant amount of res, as well as the procedure for turning that into a lightning storm within the focus. Once I give the incantation, it’ll trigger, and release a swarm of lightning bolts in the area around the scrolls, excluding the area directly around the scroll.”

“I know, I know, it’s violent, but bad things do happen from time to time, especially among foreigners from cultures less accepting of our practices, and it never hurts to have a means of protection on you. In the worst case scenario, I never end up using it. Well, I suppose it would be if someone accidentally triggered it, but I intend on making it at least a sentence of complete nonsense, so that’s highly unlikely, and even if it did happen, the area around myself would be safe so long as it was in my possession at the time.” She rambled, constantly amending her statements.
Azelle
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enki on September 16th, 2013, 5:33 pm

He shrugged again.

"I'm not so certain about that, to me it seems more they only view their own viewpoint as the only option."

Nodding he continued.

"There's value in travel I'm sure. Just choose company that at least respects your theories I suppose."

Enki lets her ramble on without interrupting, watching her draw.

"I see. I still prefer Shielding over offense myself. Though my parents did talk me into trying something else as well."

He paused.

"Oh, I'd almost forgotten. How have you been?"
Enki
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Azelle on September 17th, 2013, 5:45 pm

As she completed the outer barrier, Azelle began drawing two simpler designs, each with a break towards the top of the page. These two barriers comprised of two criss-crossing zig-zags.

“I suppose so. But at least they gave you the option, even if they didn’t like it” she remarked as she traced the uniform lines. “Ahh, I think I’m done with this one. It’ll take a while to dry though.”

Best to fill it later. If I make a mistake and it doesn’t absorb properly, I don’t want Enki getting caught in the effect. she thought to herself, setting it aside and drawing forth a second sheet as she began to trace a new focus. This time, she took greater care to use a smaller focus.

“I’ve been well. It’s been relatively uneventful for the most part to be honest. Well, except for that strange cat I saw in the library yesterday.” She remarked with a dismissive shrug. “To be completely honest, it sometimes feels a little boring. I sometimes wish that I had gone with you, I could use a change of scenery.”

“But as I said earlier, that’s something for another time. It’s too dangerous to head out right now, and I’m only just scratching at how much there is to learn here. Ohh! I have made some significant progression since you left. I figured out how to transmute res into fire. Though, I suppose you already knew that…” she stammered in another stream of afterthoughts before composing herself once again.

“Regardless, what did they manage to talk you into?”
Azelle
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enki on September 17th, 2013, 6:12 pm

"I wouldn't say they gave me an option, but they couldn't really stop me from practicing without tying me down. And I'm not even sure if that would have mattered.", he answered, trailing off as he started considering the possibility.

Nodding he returned to the present. "Well, you didn't miss much."

"You did?" He flashes a brief smile. "Congratulations. No, I did not know, how would I?"

"Ah well, Auristics most recently. Thats supposed to be generally useful, though I haven't had much time to put it to use yet. And well, don't laugh okay?", he continued looking down and blushing, but without giving her time to reply, "Flux."
Enki
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Azelle on September 21st, 2013, 2:54 pm

Azelle looked over the sheet idly, and unsatisfied with the focus on the second scroll, crumpled it before tossing it aside and pulled over yet another sheet of parchment, tracing a mostly identical focus onto this, though less care was put into keeping the design compact than she took with the now discarded one. She shrugged lightly as her brother spoke. “Perhaps. Though, you should appreciate them more, it could be a lot worse.”

She took a sketching pen and began shading a ring around the focus. “This one is going to be a little less dangerous to have around, so I’m going to place a little less emphasis on the barrier placement.” She explained as she worked. “Well, I did mention that I was going to use the previous scroll to store a variety of lightning Reimancy. That involves both the air element that you’re familiar with me using, as well as my newly acquired fire. I assumed that you would have discovered it from that.” She began to shrug, but then stopped, limiting her movement slightly. Once she finished the ring, she finally released it.

“Regardless, I’m not exactly familiar with either of those, though, I think I might have heard the names mentioned at one point. How do those disciplines work, and how advanced are you with it so far? What can you do with them?”

Switching back to the brush, Azelle began to elaborate on the ring with a series of simple straight lines, leading from the outer edge of the dark ring to the equivalent point on the inner area. Looking over the work, she frowned a little, speaking to herself as she did so. “It’s definitely not the most beautiful design, but it should hold the simple spell I need it to.”
Azelle
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enki on September 23rd, 2013, 7:56 am

Enki pauses at the comment, then realizes.

"R-right. Sorry, I keep forgetting. You've been with us so long."

"I see. Well, I don't know all that much about Reimancy to be frank."

"Ah. Well, Auristics is about seeing and interpreting auras. You see, everything has an aura and it supposedly can tell much about it. Just, I haven't really had a lot of chance to try it out yet. Though it's also useful in studying magical effects. Or so I was told."

"As for Flux...", he pauses for a moment. "I don't really get it myself but it's supposed to be manipulating Djed in your body to strenghten parts of your body in favor of others. It's uhh... Used in close range combat. And it's one of the riskier Arts there is."
Enki
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Azelle on October 5th, 2013, 6:11 am

Azelle nodded nonchallently. “It’s no problem” and continued to listen, taking in the brief explanation of the fields for the time being. As he finished, she considered them and spoke.

“Those seem interesting enough. How far along are you with them? I’ve started diversifying myself, though I still have a long way to go before I feel comfortable with it.”

As she finished speaking, Azelle looked back over her sigil, inspecting it. Alright, that’s the barrier done. I wonder what I should use for the trigger...It probably wont be /too/ bad if it goes off prematurely, something short should work well enough for this.

She thought a moment, eventually deciding upon what the activation for this should be, and began scribing the trigger onto the scroll, the activation being the phrase ‘Granite Poem’.
Azelle
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext