Completed An Enterprising Excursion (Kryos Coal)

A strange pair travel the road to Kenash

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

An Enterprising Excursion (Kryos Coal)

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 15th, 2013, 1:45 am

Fiora

14, Fall, 513 AV

When Fiora led her horse out of the stables, a heavy morning mist that coated the ground immediately engulfed both of their legs so that they appeared to be floating around on their kneecaps. She walked forward a bit, a slave following close behind and then, with the slave’s help, she mounted the blanketed chestnut mare. Prompting the horse to head in the direction of the indigo fields, she pushed her heels into the animal’s sides and they took off in a gallop. The Benshira’s colorful robes billowed out behind her as her short dark hair was tousled by the wind.

Bice was the first thing to catch her eye as she neared the fields. He towered over the plants and the slaves alike, poised on his platform like a bird of prey, alert for anything amiss so that he could swoop down and remedy the situation. His shoulders bulged out of the sleeves of his tunic and one arm was wrapped with the black strings of his whip. Fiora’s stomach lurched slightly at the sight of him, but she rode her horse all the way to the bottom of the wooden platform he’d had built, which stood at the same height as her nose.

Before she could climb down and head for the wooden steps, she was crudely grabbed under the arms and yanked off her horse. Bice crushed her in a bone-shattering hug before setting her next to him on the platform.

“What a morning!” he shouted, though he was only inches from her ear. “What are you doing here?” Fiora studied his face that was contorted between an expression of annoyance and surprise. Of course he’d forgotten already.

“I’m going into the city today,” she said. “You don’t remember? We talked about it last night. I’m going in to stock my new shop.”

“Oh, is that so?” Looking as if he wanted to start an argument, Bice clapped her on the back and said instead, “Well, you can’t go alone.”

“I’ll be riding and taking the donkey beside me. It’s only rugs and tapestries and they’re all bundled up so I think—“

“You can’t go alone,” Bice repeated, his voice menacingly low. Fiora dropped her eyes. While the children were staying home without her, he would see no defiance from her lest his wrath be taken out on them. “And I can’t go with you right now.”

“I know that, but, well, can you spare someone to go with me?” she asked, gesturing over the heads of the slaves laboring in the field below them. “The children are with the weavers for the day, so it’s just me.” She watched her husband with anticipation as he contemplated her suggestion. Bice gazed out at the fields, his effort to think clearly visible on his square-jawed face.

“You ask a lot of me, Fiora,” he growled finally. “But I guess I can’t let my little wife go unprotected, can I?” Fiora shook her head no in agreement. “I’ll send a slave with you to Kenash but I hope you remember that you owe me. There’s a lot of work to be done and I wouldn’t let a slave off for just anybody.” Fiora nodded.

“Thank you, Bice,” she said softly. He just grunted.

“Now, let’s see.” Traveling his eyes through the fields, he muttered to himself. “No, that one isn’t strong, that one works so quickly, I need him. Hmmmm.” Fiora waited expectantly, anxious to get going because it was a long journey to the city. “YOU!” Bice hollered suddenly and his wife nearly fell off the platform he was so loud. The slaves all looked up from their work, most of them trembling already, to see who he was yelling at. Fiora followed his pointing finger to a muscular man who was bent over the indigo plants. He had dark red hair and, just like all Isur, a discolored arm.

“Get up here, Coal!” Bice demanded and Fiora tried to give the man a friendly, reassuring smile, but she had to be careful when it came to being nice to slaves around her husband.
Last edited by Fiora Radacke on September 28th, 2013, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiora Radacke
Weaving tales and tapestries

Words: 55884
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kryos Coal on September 15th, 2013, 3:50 pm

The Indigo was a more precise business, of that Coal had learned swiftly upon first arriving at Whiplash. Tobacco was tossed and turned, leaves ripped off with abandon if though to be bad, after all, you didn't want a customer getting a bad crop when there were plantations like Smokesend to compete with.

But the Indigo? That was to be handled carefully, without a piece wasted. If it wasn't fit for dye that was to be determined by slaves more skilled in its ways than you, that was made quite clear, so Coal worked silently, and concentrated on his work. It made his hands cramp, pulling off the flowers into the basket, and a trial not to crush them between his fingers, but he suspected that this task had been given to him in order to see him fail after his incident in the Tobacco fields the previous week, and he refused to live up to whatever failure he was supposed to fulfill here.

"You!" Every slave always cowered when they heard that sound. You had to automatically assume it was you to which the person was speaking, it was really the only way. And this time? Well Coal was right. He looked up toward the hulking man overseeing there work, Bice Radacke. He was strong, overbearing, and angry. Coal was very careful around him, the way you were careful around a wounded bull, for any moment it could gore you with its horns.

As soon as his name was spoken, the Isur stepped forward, careful not to trample any of the Indigo in the process. He did not make eye contact, let his shoulders stoop, and slowly approached the platform, stopping upon the first step and glancing upward to see the woman he knew as the wife of Bice. Her clothing was different than most of the Dynasty women, and she had a fair complexion, quite the opposite of her burly husband. Lowering his gaze once more, Coal waited patiently to be addressed, not having been privy to the previous conversation.
Kryos Coal
I am the hammer, the chisel, the tool.

Words: 33756
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 7:05 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 15th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Fiora

Eying the Isur slave as he walked forward and planted his feet on the first step, Fiora was both puzzled and pleased at Bice’s selection for her companion. The man was nearly the same size as her husband and without the Radacke brand, he would have cut quite a dapper figure. It was unlike Bice to pair her with such a young and well-built slave. The man’s brawny arms would help with the heavier pieces she needed him to carry, though, and she was very glad to have his services. Upon further study, she realized that the slave’s disposition betrayed Bice’s reasoning for he walked with his eyes downcast and his shoulders hunched, non-threatening and obedient.

“You will take my wife into the city today and do whatever she tells you to,” Bice stated flatly.

“I may need your help carrying some ta---“ Fiora began, but then realized that her husband was listening and watching her carefully. “Coal, is it?” she asked, mustering up all the haughtiness she could manage. “I have need of you today. You must travel with me and carry all of my things into my shop and then accompany me home.” Bice stared at the slave, making sure he understood, before gripping Fiora’s waist and roughly placing her back on her horse, as if she were a pest he could swat away.

“You’ll be crossing petching Morealis and even more petching Sitai land, so make sure nothing happens to her,” he added. Fiora began to turn her horse in the opposite direction.

“Meet me in the stables as quickly as you can,” she called over her shoulder. Then, she spurred her horse into a gallop and headed away from the fields. Anxious to get the trip started, she would have preferred to have Coal hop up on the back of the horse with her, but it would never do for a Dynasty lady to ride with a slave. Besides, she was sure the donkey and cart were still being loaded.

As she rode away, Bice lumbered down the wooden stairs, unwrapping the coil of his whip as he did so. He stopped two steps above Coal so that he could hulk over the man and bent down so they were face to face.

“If any harm comes to my wife, I will personally beat you until you are barely breathing and then I will send you to the Breaking Grounds, is that clear?” he asked in his most menacing voice. In his usual abrupt manner, he dismissed the Isur without waiting for an answer and jogged back up the steps to the top of his platform where he spun around and slashed out with his whip, snapping the tip against Coal’s upper arm. Laughing maniacally, he turned around again to lord over the fields for the rest of the day.

Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kryos Coal on September 16th, 2013, 2:24 am

His response to Bice's words was a nod, and then again. When the woman spoke, he let his head come up slightly, not enough to meet the eyes, but enough to admire a the elegant hemming on the dress she wore. It seemed quite the boon he was being given today. Coal liked his work in the fields just fine, but the opportunity to stretch his legs and go into town? That wasn't a trip one could go on often when the harvest was coming in.

He nodded briefly at the woman upon the horse, but remained still as stone as Bice approached him. He could feel the hot breath of the man, a twinge of alcohol hanging there warm and stale as he threatened him. He was a strong creature, that was certain, and Coal had no doubt in his mind that he could find a way to make the whip break even his tougher skin, though the sharp rap upon his shoulder registered as the barest sting. It was all part of the Overseer's show, however, not as much for Coal, who was as pliable as a young lamb, but for the slaves who saw one of their number get to pamper his wife. Backs quickly turned hurriedly back to their work, and Coal set into a swift job, bare feet barely touching the dusty earth as he headed towards the stables in the dust trail Fiora's mount had left in its wake.

When he arrived he saw the woman in question overseeing the alignment of donkey to a cart loaded with wares. Two slaves were loading up carpets, and Coal immediately slid in to lend a hand, hands sliding under one quite large one and hefting it up, feeling its true weight as he pulled it off the ground. They may have been carpets but carpets were...heavy. He let out a slight grunt as he carefully slid the rug into the back of the cart, trying not to jostle anything too much, and shifting around some of the shorter pieces in order to put the larger one's at the bottom. With Coal's help it took barely a chime to finish the packing, though he left the other two to tie the rugs down, having no idea precisely what to do. Done with that he turned toward Fiora and gave a short bow, letting his knees bend somewhat before addressing her. His voice was rather bland, not much hint at the emotions behind the hard exterior, a deep tenor to his words.

"Everything is ready mistress." He offered a hand to help her up onto the single seat that would be at the front of the cart, allowing her to direct the donkey while he walked beside the cart.

oocIf I misinterpreted anything let me know!
Kryos Coal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 16th, 2013, 2:59 am

Fiora

After thanking the slaves who helped to pack up the rugs and tapestries, Fiora turned to Coal, who was holding out a hand to help her up in the donkey cart. She grimaced at a slight red mark on his shoulder, Bice's handiwork she guessed, and slid her fingers into his large hand. However, she shook it in greeting instead of using his hand for its original intention.

"I apologize for my rudeness back at the fields," she said quietly, her eyes darting around to make sure none of her in-laws were near. "I'm Fiora, Mistress Radacke. And you're Coal, or so my husband calls you. I thank you very much for leaving your usual duties today and taking me into the city. You don't know how much I appreciate it." She released his hand and walked around the cart, making certain everything was secure.

"Can you ride a horse, Coal?" she asked. "It could take us up to 4 bells at a slow walk and we still will have the journey back. Perhaps my horse can set a good pace so that this mule here will work harder to keep up. If you're not comfortable riding, I certainly can while you sit in the cart. Do you have a preference?" She smiled at him warmly as she pulled her horse back out of the stall in which it had been put mere chimes ago.

"Please," she said before he answered her question, "do not hesitate to talk freely around me. I'm not a Radacke or a Dynasty by blood, but a simple merchant's daughter. And there is nothing more awkward than traveling together for bells in total silence."

Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kryos Coal on September 17th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Everything was going according to plan, or so Coal thought. She would be up in the cart in no time and they would be on their way. It would be a long trip, but it wouldn't matter, the longer Coal was out of the fields and got to stretch his legs the better. He waited for her hand, head bowed carefully, mind already looking forward to the journey when she broke it all apart by speaking.

First there was a lengthy and eloquent thanks, and Coal's dark eyes glanced up to the woman's face to make sure they were coming out her mouth. This was certainly not what he had expected. In answer he just nodded his head and stored away the name Fiora in the long list of names not to forget.

But he took a pace back at her next question. Can I ride a horse? No Radacke would let a slave near one of their fine horses unless you were stabling it or grooming it, did she even know what she asked? Well it seemed as if she had the barest inkling because she followed that up with her riding the horse and he the cart. Coal's muscles relaxed somewhat then. It wasn't uncommon to see slaves guiding mules and donkeys, that seemed perfectly acceptable, and after all, she was doing this in the interest of getting to her destination faster, not an entirely illogical idea.

Coal glanced upward, meeting Fiora's gaze for but a moment. "I can lead the wagon, mistress."

He walked over to the chestnut colored animal whose ears twitched to get away the flies collected in the barn, gathering up the animals reins. Luckily this mule usually only took one route to and from the city, so it knew where it was going better than Coal did. This action also gave him time to consider her final words. speak freely.

"I am sorry, Mistress, but I am not very good at talking." He tried to phrase it as politely as he could, rarely was he ever requested conversation by his betters, he liked to think he was valued for his strength and durability just as much as his quiet tongue sometimes. However, she had been kind thus far, even the rudeness she had apologized for in the field hadn't been half way so to Coal's knowledge, so as a slave helped Fiora onto her horse and he himself got into the single seat upon the wagon, he spoke again.

"but...I will try." He flicked the reins hesitantly, unsure of how much the mule needed them, but it seemed as if he probably could have prodded the creature's rear with his foot and it would have worked, for the beast sleepily began walking forward out into the yard towards the main road.
Kryos Coal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 17th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Fiora

Of course, it was a much smarter idea that Coal ride in the cart, especially since they had to cross two other Dynasty plantations to get to Kenash and the families liked nothing better than to talk about each other. Fiora liked this slave already. He was intelligent and humble.

After she settled herself on the horse, fluffing her skirts out on either side, she nudged the animal out of the stables, close behind the mule and the cart loaded with her inventory. She urged her horse to pick up the pace a bit and the donkey followed suit once they got on the dirt path that would lead them through the Morealis land. Fiora pulled her horse alongside the cart and looked down at the Isur. She was curious about him and she wanted to make him feel more at ease with her. It was part the fact that she did not want to be seen by anyone, slave or no, as one of the crass Radackes, but it was also that Fiora had few people she could really be herself around, without having to act like another person entirely.

The horse's hoofs thudded in the dirt and the wheels on the cart squeaked every now and then. Other than that, the morning was rather quiet and the fog had nearly all evaporated, saturating the air. It was going to be humid again, as usual.

Coal looked up at her once and Fiora smiled kindly into his deep brown eyes before he averted his gaze. "Were you born in Kenash?" she asked after a moment. "I was not. Have you ever heard of Yahebah? That was my home, once, long ago."
Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kryos Coal on September 18th, 2013, 1:05 am

The mule seemed to have little trouble keeping up with the horse for now, and seemed to know precisely what it was meant for. Coal held the reins for posterity's sake, wondering precisely he was going to do if the mule tried running him and the goods into a ditch, then swiftly dismissing the thought. Not good to dwell on the negatives here.

It was silent for a time, but it was the kind that waited for speech. Coal knew it was coming, as Fiora had said as much before they had begun, but he enjoyed it nevertheless. Hooves made a merry rhythm upon the ground, the wheels over rocks supplying added noise that did not drown out all bird calls or other noises of the surrounding swamplands.

He glanced over at the Radacke as she began. She started simple, which Coal was thankful for, if she had asked him for a long tale he wasn't sure she would be pleased with what she heard, or rather...the lack of things she heard. There was a long pause after she was done speaking, Coal collecting his thoughts as well as making sure she was completely done.

"I was not born in Kenash." he said quickly. When she spoke of this city, this Yahebah, he shook his head.

"I have never heard of it." He paused again, realizing his response was perhaps not the best for continuing a conversation.

"Um...can you tell me of this city?" He said cautiously, unsure of how to proceed. it wasn't often that slaves asked things of their masters, but her manners were not very much like the other Radackes. His gaze went back to staring at the mule's haunches as he waited for a reply, listening to the wobble in an axle as they went.
Kryos Coal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 19th, 2013, 12:33 am

Fiora

Smiling to herself, Fiora was glad that the slave already felt comfortable enough around her to ask questions. Plus, she didn't have many chances to talk about her place of birth.

"Oh, Coal, Yahebah is an amazing city," Fiora said wistfully. "It is a haven in the desert; a peaceful area to escape the scorching sand. The buildings are made from mud bricks and light colored stone with flat roofs so that tents can be set up on top. And there are high walls surrounding the city..." she trailed off, conjuring an image in her mind as she closed her eyes. "It's like a small kingdom, with a temple to the god Yahal at its center. The Benshira, they are gentle people, and generally content. I used to be one of them..." Opening her eyes, she swiveled her head to survey the landscape around her.

"There is little green in Yahebah. It's nothing like this," she remarked, spreading her hand out to encompass the thriving plant life on either side of the road. "Kenash has its own beauty of course, but it is much different here than in the desert. There are dangers in both places, yes, as anywhere, but the perils here come in completely different forms." A shadow seemed to fall over her face then as she looked down at Coal, her eyes lingering on his brand. Though she did not sport one, she felt that she might as well have, because she was as much a slave to her situation as the man before her was a slave to his masters.

Fiora was quiet for a long moment, dwelling on the unfairness of the world. The animals moved along, slowing only a little as the road narrowed a bit. She could smell the wetness of the swamp, soaked leaves and muck. The humidity was getting thicker as they traveled and it made her head feel heavy. They had crossed over into Morealis land now and she could barely make out the distant shouts of people, though she could not see them through the high crops.

"You are Isur," she finally said. "Where were you born then? How long have you been in Kenash?"

Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kryos Coal on September 19th, 2013, 3:07 am

The Isur tried to imagine the city that Fiora laid out for him. He could hear the longing in her voice, the way her gaze seemed to travel off into the distance reaching back towards where that city first belonged. He blinked once, wondering if it was sadness or fondness in her words...and settled on the median of both.

In his own mind he pictured tents upon pillars, wondering why one wouldn't just put tents upon the ground, or simply use rocks as shelter, and knew his own thoughts were creating nothing like what she must be seeing. Her words when she compared her home to Kenash seemed flat, as if she wanted to give the land the benefit of the doubt. Coal had always liked the swamp lands, but perhaps that was just because his only other memories were Ravok slave pens and Coal mines...

And then a silence went between them. Coal focused on the sides of the road. They were mostly cleared of debris but now and then tall patches of plants sprung up from one field or another, and brush in Kenash could hide many a thing. Even if this trip was a break, he simply couldn't let his guard down, for Fiora's sake as well as his own hide if something were to happen to her.

When she spoke, Coal frowned thoughtfully. "I think I was born in Sultros...but I cannot remember." He paused, mouth partially open as if to say more, but then his lips pressed together and instead answered her second query. "I came to Kenash when I was young...ten I think, I am 40 now." Other humans looked older than he at 40, more wrinkles, less muscle. He remembered asking slave after slave about it until one had finally laughed out loud at his request. "You're made of rocks, of course you live longer than humans." It had made him feel stupid for asking, but he knew nearly nothing of his people and their abilities other than the physical ones that became so obvious.

Out of the haze of silence that followed, interrupted by a loud bullfrog whose croaks they could hear long after passing him, Coal remembered something she had said.

"Why...did you say you 'used to be one of them'? You are still the same even if you are not in...Yah-heh-ba, I am Isur even if I am not in Sultros, why...'used to'?" He glanced up her with curiosity, his facial ridge furrowed in thought.
Kryos Coal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next