Writting and Video Games

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum you can find and share resources and advice for writing a post, novel or any other form of prose.

Writting and Video Games

Postby William Renegade on October 1st, 2013, 12:02 am

I'm not quite sure this is the right place to post this but I'm guessing this is as close as it gets, please feel free to redirect me if I'm wrong.

So it's like this, I've done RP for pretty much as long as I can remember. Did it as a kid to play, regurlarly creating my own games and character. Did it as a teen threw chat and went on to forums latter on. The problem is that I have only ever written short stories and always kept it rather simple. Now a little while ago I started off a project to create my very own video game but before I can start programing it all that I'm missing is the script. The entire game concept is complete and I have a good idea of the story in my head but I have a terrible time writting it down since this is my very first time attempting to write a complete story on my own.

Since this forum seems to be used by many talented writters and, I'm certain, quite a few fervant book readers, I'd like to know if anyone would be willing to offer advices or references that could help a beginner out.

Thank you for your time and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
William Renegade
Player

Words: 17572
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Writting and Video Games

Postby Timshel on October 3rd, 2013, 3:54 pm

I'm not qualified to answer, but I'm going to anyway because I like the topic. Just take what I say with a grain of salt.

Video games are an interesting medium. They are many different kinds. Unlike books, stories, and movies, many people mostly care about the gameplay foremost, story second. See the critiques of Metal Gear Solid being a "playable movie". And I agree, to a point (gods, I love MGS).

Video games do best when they incorporate the story within the gameplay. Much like a movie cannot be told the same way as a novel, a video game cannot be told the same way as a movie-- which is a common mistake. Video games are all about addicting little toys to play with PLUS an incredible story so interwoven into the system that you never break the immersion-- or at least that's the goal. MGS has an amazing story, but people criticize it because it's a bit jarring to stop, watch a scene, and then pick up again. Better, would be to take the approach of the Half-life series, Portal, Bastion, Skyrim or Mass Effect. All the story happens in real time. There are little details all over the world that hint at where you are exactly, how other characters feel, what the dangers are, etc. And they are miss-able! You have to actively take part in telling the story to yourself. These opportunities are the "camera-angles" of video-games. The show, don't tell.

Anyway, that's what I'd keep in mind. But I've never made a video-game, so this post may just be my own mental sewage all over this thread-- but I personally think stories in video games are completely unsaturated. There's a definite demand there. Just look at how well Valve, Mass Effect, or even smaller games like To the Moon have done. I find it all fascinating, and can see games being the main form of storytelling in a few generations to come.
Timshel
Player

Words: 46821
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2013, 7:58 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Writting and Video Games

Postby William Renegade on October 8th, 2013, 8:52 am

Well it is a very valid point. In other words unless it is a profound and interesting story it's better to keep it quite light outside of the action and to actually encourage the player to look for bits of story and lore on his own accord. The main and important bits of story are better off presented in the midst of action or threw short and fluid cutscenes. A bit like the kingdom hearts games.

I was actually thinking of mixing both by using kind of "background" cutscenes. Since the game would have a LOT of emphasis on customisation it would be next to impossible the give the main character a story or personality. Because of that I want the main character to be nothing but a medium around which the story is happenning, somewhat like the borderlands or Legend of Zelda games. In other words most of the story would be revealed with an in game comm system and threw action happenning in the background, which would be made obvious because it's a megaman style 2D platformer without impairing the action.

Sounds like what you had in mind?
William Renegade
Player

Words: 17572
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet