Magic Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Magic Questions

Postby Maeko on August 16th, 2010, 10:11 pm

I am making a Chaktawe character...

I was thinking of putting reimancy (water in particular) as one of my skills, but I'm not sure if my reasoning works.

If water reimancy attracts water, then a Chaktawe who learns water reimancy may be able to help their village obtain, filter, and conserve water through using reimancy... right?

I realize that magic is risky, but relatively small tasks would probably not be a big deal... I think.
Maeko
Player

Words: 5379
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Race: Chaktawe

Magic Questions

Postby Panna Cotta on August 16th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Hey, you should give over the Reimancy article one more time. :) But to answer your questions, I'll copy these:

Reimancy is about concentrating the user's Djed into a physical form, which is then emitted through the body, for example from the palms of one's hands or with one's breath.

It is practiced in Sahova (where I storytell) by mages who have an immediate need of water. However, it's only for drinking purposes, and in no reason a way to "obtain, filter and conserve" water. Supplying water for more than one drink is a relatively big task already for a novice; even at competent levels (since you are "giving away part of yourself") the risks are too high and too dangerous to consider the craft a sustainable solution. Many practitioners will probably overgive and go mad just by attempting to, say, water a field crops.

I'm from the other side of Mizahar, but I have always pictured the Chaktawe a very spiritual tribe who worships nature and has animal friends (if my opinion of them falls short, the fault is mine.) Anyway, I think that's the theme anyway.

I suggest you become, instead, a follower of Makutsi. And work towards becoming a Raindancer by seeking out her gnosis. It is safer, and summoning the rain has no dire consequences on your PC and will match the theme more. :)
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Magic Questions

Postby Maeko on August 17th, 2010, 12:21 am

Thank you... I read the wiki three or four times, but couldn't tell for sure. That makes a lot of sense. I like the concept of reimancy, but if it doesn't fit the race than I just won't use it. Hm... back to the drawing board!
Maeko
Player

Words: 5379
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Race: Chaktawe