[Verified by Elysium] Oswin Raulins

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Oswin Raulins

Postby Oswin Raulins on November 30th, 2013, 8:56 am

Oswin Raulins

Appearance

Race: Human
Birthday: 43 Spring, 486
Birthplace: The heart of Ravok. Or not the heart, exactly. Somewhere in the northeast districts. So, closer to the left shoulder of Ravok.

Appearance: Standard human specimen, nothing remarkable of note. Five-and-a-half foot frame, good sturdy shoulders, strong back, weak ankles, slightly under nourished. The hair is a burnished auburn, cut short and kept behind the ears. Slight wave. There is a sharp, discerning look to the eyes, which are brown. Discoloring beneath brow indicates lack of proper sleep. Clean nails, well kempt, and no missing teeth or fingers. Short, pointed nose, a common trait among the Raulins bloodline. Positively boring, least interesting individual I've ever catalogued.

Character Concept

Should I include more? Oh, very well then.

Oswin Raulins is an uprooted Ravokian, currently living as far from her birthplace as humanly possible. I'd list all the reasons for that, and rest assured they are valid and plenty, but... well, y'know. She has woven herself into Lhavit over the last six years, high in the Misty Peaks of Kalea, ingratiating herself with the quaint, artistic culture of the place. Despite this, there still remains a rift between herself and native Lhavitians. Oswin retains much of Ravokian nature, naturally suspicious, ever cautious, pragmatic and detached. It pleases her to be surrounded by a culture of acceptance and kindness, but as much as she tries to reciprocate, she usually prefers to stay safe within her own walls.

Her work is her life. When armed with a scalpel, everything in the world stops existing, all but what's in front of her. Oswin's sense of curiosity can be as strong as her passion. Well, I wouldn't call it passion. More like obsession. Despite her dedication (another kind word for "obsession"), her patients may find that her bedside manner, which lacks in warmth, could use work. They may think what they like. Gentleness never reset a dislocated shoulder.

Character History

My history? I've already gone on quite a bit. Will nothing satisfy you? (sigh) Very well then, but I will be dispensing with all this third person nonsense. It's beginning to wear on me.

I hail from the lower caste of Ravok. My family name was of no great importance to anyone, with the exception of smugglers. My father was involved in that racket. I have a range of opinions about that, but I'll talk more about it later. I was the third born of four children, two brothers and one sister. The eldest of us, Laurentius, was all but running the household after the age of ten, and unless we deliberately wanted to cross him, we usually did as he told us. My other two siblings and I were dutiful subordinates, except when we weren't. Father was usually away, but he returned often enough to supply the household with fresh coin. Mother saw to our meals and kept our home tidy, for a time, but eventually my elder sister Ositha took these tasks upon herself.

Mother's mind was a tad bit addled, you see. She was gentle, kind, and giving, but she suffered from an affliction that robbed her of basic competence. Her condition worsened with age. It was about the time she started including pieces of wood and garden weeds in our meals that we decided to take over her responsibilities ourselves. My younger brother, Allander, took on the primary role seeing to her basic needs.

While Mother worsened, Father became more deeply entrenched in his smuggling hobby. His intentions were true, I suppose. He only wanted to support his family, and a Ravosala driver's salary did not go far to support four children and their ailing mother. One does not consort with corruption, however, without inviting it into one's own soul.

To make a long story short, Father's misdeeds caught up to him, and he was taken out of our lives. I'm not entirely certain what happened to him, but I doubt it was pleasant. It never is, where the Ebonstryfe are involved.

Laurentius decided the four of us needed to provide income if our family was to survive. He became involved with the city's guard. Ositha took to the Docks district to make coin in a way I would prefer not to mention. I was hired on as a servant in a wealthier household. Allander began cleaning moss from canal-facing structures for a few rims. We were 16, 14, 11, and 8, respectively, but we all grew up very quickly.

I became acquainted with a Konti slave belonging to the family I worked for. She was called Astha, and she served as their primary physician. My role was to see to the tasks she was originally procured for, such as tidying the place, serving tea, dressing the family and the like. Their youngest child had fallen ill, however, and Astha was compelled by her master and her gnosis mark to help him. It took up much of her time. Despite my social station being miraculously above hers, I wound up as her assistant much of the time. It was from her I learned the majority of my medicinal skill.

The boy and I became good friends. I will even admit to being fond of him, for although he lived a life of privilege, his circumstances made him kind and curious. It became an escape from my reality to sit in his comfortable home and tell him stories of the outside world.

However, all good things come to an end. Rhysol personally sees to that in Ravok. The boy's life was extended years beyond what it should have been, thanks to the work of the Konti, but inevitably he succumbed to his illness and died. I sound monotone about it now, but I am sincere when I say a part of me died with him.

My desire to remain within Ravok waned, until there was naught left but a sort of... burning. In my lower twenties, I was in good standing with the family I had served for ten years, but I was never considered one of them. Laurie became a member of the Ebonstryfe, which changed him severely. My sister suffered a fate much like our father's, her soul becoming as twisted and empty as the men who hired her. Allander remained my last ally in a world I loathed. I made plans to leave Ravok, and I begged him to come with me. Like a good son, however, he would not abandon Mother. I suppose I was partially relieved that at least one of us remembered duty to family, which was certainly beyond my reach.

I traveled, then. I left my home and its memories behind me and began a new life in the far off city of Lhavit, the much lauded Diamond of Kalea. I have been here for some time now.

The residents here who've heard my story (the unfortunate result of prodding questions mixed with drink) tell me I'm brave to have left my home to start over someplace new and strange. I accept the compliment, naturally, but I've never felt brave. I simply had the opportunity to run away, and I took it.

Language

Fluent Language: Common
Poor Language: Kontinese

Skills

Skill EXP Total Proficiency
Medicine 30SP 30 Competent
Cooking 10SP 10 Novice
Sewing 5SP 5 Novice
Weapon: Dagger 15RB, 5SP 20 Novice

Lores

Human Anatomy
Common Diseases in Kalea

Possessions

-Simple Shirt
-Simple Pants
-Simple Undergarments
-Simple Cloak
-Simple Boots
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack which contains:
-Comb (Skyglass)
-Brush (Skyglass)
-Soap
-Razor
-Balanced Rations (1 Week’s Worth)
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel
- Cat named Happer
- Daggers x3
100 Kina

Heirloom: Spectacles

Housing

House: Elegant apartment at the Solar Wind Apartments. Furnished with the basic amenities provided by Solar Wind, including ailing plants and paintings Oswin has never paid much attention to. Happer the black cat haunts the place as her companion.

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total
Starting +100 Kina 100 Kina
Cat -2sm 99.80 Kina
Monthly Rent -7 Kina 92.80 Kina
Daggers x3 -6gm 86.80 Kina
Dyed woolen cap -3sm 86.50 Kina
Gloves -5sm 86.00 Kina

Thread List

Winter 6th, 513 - I have no idea what I'm doing.
Winter 8th, 513 - Ethaefal: An Anatomical Study
Winter 12th, 513 - I'm feeling like a pincushion, here.
Winter 21st, 513 - An Apple a Day
Susan: So you're saying humans need fantasy to make life bearable?
Death: NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN.

>> New excuse for slowness. Very busy for the holidays (shopping, various gatherings, also still full time job), will be better after the holiday season is over.
Oswin Raulins
Player

Words: 12877
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2013, 8:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets