Solo Lower Castes Encounters

Encountering the hungry...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Lower Castes Encounters

Postby Haplo on December 13th, 2013, 5:41 am

Time Stamp: 3rd of Winter 513AV

Patches of dark shadow began enveloping the workshop as he extinguished the lamps lighting the room. It had been a long day of tedious work on the common bows and arrow heads he makes for the hunters and warriors of the reach. Building the high quality, but identical bows, he mass produces for the hunters had long since lost the excitement he usually felt when crafting the finest weapon one could wield. He much preferred working on the elite level bows that challenged him to push the boundaries of his talent and the limits of the wood, horn or antler he used. Unfortunately, those projects had to be put aside, as the current situation required that he make sure all hunters were outfitted for the hunt. With so many hunting parties going out and some not returning, there had been losses and damage taking many bows out of the hands of the hunters who needed desperately to bring back food. Scooping up his Katinu, he slipped into the large coat and killed the last lamp before leaving the work space.

Stepping out of his work space into the hall way that, lead to the common room, he turned away from the sound of the few other craftsman still at work. Making his way down the corridor away from the common room of the Craft hall and towards the warrens, his mind wandered back to the idea he had for a new project. If he could accomplish what he had in mind, it would be the greatest achievement of his life and maybe any other craftsman…. ever. These thoughts continue to take his attention as he makes his way to the Kitchens. His fingers play loosely with the meal voucher in his hand while he passed unused rooms. There were many of them within the warrens. Usually with Dek to be found curled up trying to get what sleep they could. There were times when guilt flooded through him at the station the Dek occupied. He had never mistreated one of them yet wasn’t inaction as bad as action.

Slipping in and out of the kitchens as he usually did, avoiding most of the crowd within, he made his way towards his quarters. His food was wrapped in a cloth, laid across the bowl of soup he had taken. Again he passed empty rooms and again the corners and shadows housed Dek looking for a place to sleep where they would not be made to move or work extra by someone like him. His body suddenly slammed into something and his cloth of food hit the floor while he was barely able to keep the soup in the bowl.

“What the hell…” he spat as he looked down for the wrapped food. There on the floor was a small woman, scrambling to grab the cloth of food.

She held it up for him and apologized profusely…” Very sorry sir, I did not see… was just going to…”

Her sentenced trailed off and she did not finish where exactly it was she was headed. Reaching down for the food, his hand stopped a few inches away from the cloth. Her whole body cringed as his hand neared hers and he could see her hands trembling. Her eyes darted back and forth between him and the food she held out. Many people had pointed out that he was not the most observant man, yet he could tell this woman was fighting the urge to take the food and run. With the winter storm raging and the hunters barely able to bring in enough food to feed the reach, many people were going hungry. He looked the woman over and what he could see in the dimly lit corridor was thin… too thin.

He withdrew his hand and indicated to the bowl…” keep it, I was full already anyways. I’ll just take the soup for a snack later.” He dropped the smile and was more serious as he said,” If anyone challenges you about it, Tell them to see Avora Haplo. Do you understand?

The woman did not bring her hands down with the food, only nodded and stared at him. He nodded back to her and turned, heading off again towards his room. Just a few strides away his stomach betrayed him and grumbled loudly. Hoping she had not heard it, he quickly made a corner and sighed. In fact he had not stopped his work for midday meal and was fairly hungry. The picture of the woman’s thin frame flashed in his mind and he quickly banished any hunger he felt. He was lucky and he knew it. He imprinted this route in his mind; he would come by this way again.
Avora Haplo
Haplo
Player

Words: 13901
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 2:28 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lower Castes Encounters

Postby Haplo on December 20th, 2013, 4:41 pm

9th of Winter 513AV

He walked the quiet dark halls of the Warren, food in hand, mind wandering as it usually did. It had been 6 days and every night it was the same. He finished his work, stopped by the kitchens to grab his food and headed into the warrens. After the first few nights he started to feel less uneasy about the nightly visit to the Dek woman. Not that anything had happened, he simply brought her food each night and each night she thanked him and melted back into the shadows of the empty room she inhabited. He was quiet sure that his visits were far more welcome then other late night visitors she had to deal with. The thought made him choke a little and he cleared his throat. At the sound of his cough something or someone moved in the hall ahead of him and he looked, his attention focusing on where he was going, at a man striding towards him. The man passed him nodding his head in greeting and continued on to wherever he was heading. As he passed he caught the look on the man’s face, curiosity mixed with a bit of mischief, a look he did not quite like.

Haplo continued on though and after a few minutes found the room he had been visiting each night. He cleared his throat and waited… nothing. He cleared his throat again a little louder and again the woman did not appear. He turned to walk away and caught sight of the woman’s thin frame a little ways down the hall. She moved towards him stopping a few lengths from him. “I’m sorry sir, I was… working late. You do not have to come… I don’t wanna burden you…

He held up a hand to stop her, “It is no burden. If you were working extra then I’m sure you are extra hungry.“ He reached out his hand with the food in it, not keeping any aside this time, for her to take.

She shook her head at his offer and looked down, not showing her face to him. He did not say anything just waited, arm outstretched, for her to take it. She may have pride or be embarrassed by her situation, but hunger tended to push such things aside. As he thought it, it proved to be true. She finally reached forward and took the food. Holding it close to her body she did not move towards the room as she did most nights but stood in the hall.

He nodded to her and as he turned away she spoke again. ”You should not return here sir,” the words sounded as if they had been hard for her to say. She shuffled a bit on her feet as if she was nervous and she looked at the floor.

"You are not a burden on me, I told you I…. “, he stopped speaking as it was her that held up her hand this time. He quirked a brow and waited for her to speak. “I mean to say I will not be here again… I will find another place to sleep. Thank you for… thank you. “With that she turned and was gone, leaving him to stare after her into the dark tunnel. He stood there for quite some time, feeling as if he had lost something important. It dawned on him that the woman had been the most meaningful contact he had with another person in… he could not remember how long. Feeling empty, he turned and walked away.
Avora Haplo
Haplo
Player

Words: 13901
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 2:28 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets