Closed [Scholar's Asylum] The Test of Sanity

Phyolea must pass a psychological examination to enter into the field of Magic.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Scholar's Asylum] The Test of Sanity

Postby Phyolea on December 17th, 2013, 2:04 am

1 Winter 513

Phyolea felt some trepidation as she approached the front desk. Her mind raced with questions. Why did this field of study require a psychological evaluation? What did this test entail? Was this common practice for the schools on land? Phyolea had done well in her studies back home in Charbosi, but this would be her first time taking a test like this. She had no idea what to expect.

"Excuse me? Um, I am here for a psychological evaluation? For the magical studies program?" Phyolea shifted nervously. "I hear it's an exciting program!" Phyolea smiled, hoping to curtail her nervousness. She hoped she could get this test over with as quickly as possible.
Phyolea
Quicksilver

Words: 42951
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2013, 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on December 17th, 2013, 3:07 am

The woman at the desk did a double take of the creature in front of her, as though trying to reassure herself that Phyolea was real. A light seemed to go off in her head after a few ticks of shameless staring, as though she was just remembering the reason the aquatic woman was here. She forced a smile onto her face as she rose, taking up a key laying on the desk and regarding Phyolea as warmly as she could given the circumstances.

"Of course, you must be Phyolea. Miss Loris will be expecting you, please come with me." She said, turning and heading up a flight of stairs.

The Asylum air was sterile and unnaturally clean, possessing an almost artificial tone to it. Everything was neat and tidy to an almost compulsive level and nothing looked out of order. Whoever ran this place clearly like optimal efficiency coupled with an unnervingly artificial atmosphere.

Once they reached the top of the stairs the woman turned down a long hallway, seeming to know this route without even thinking. Candles flickered gently at controlled intervals, ensuring that a bright glow was granted to even the darkest corner. The doors along the halls possessed strange markings on them and if one listened carefully they might hear the sound of muffled cries, or gibbering words repeated over and over again. This was a place for those whose minds were shattered by their powers, a place some entered by few ever left.

Near the end of the hall the woman produced the key she had taken and approached a door, this one possessing the same markings as the others. The Key possessed similar markings etched into its surface and was carefully slid into the lock, the woman being very cautious not to touch the markings on the door itself. She opened the door and gestured for Phyolea to step inside.

The room was even cleaner than the rest of the Asylum, were that even possible, with white tiles on the floor practically shining up at the Charoda. The room itself was barren but for three pieces of furniture, two chairs and a table in the center. Already sitting at the table was a young red haired human woman who regarded Phyolea warmly as she entered, green eyes twinkling with a friendly gleam.

The door was shut firmly behind Phyolea, the sound of a lock being put back in place audible through the door. The inside of the door possessed the same markings as the outside.

The woman stood from her seat and extended her hand for a shake, her smile brilliant and friendly. She was about average height and wore the blue robes of a professor, though she didn't seem the least bit imposing for it. She didn't seem the least caught off guard or put off by the Charoda, as though it were normal for her kind to walk through that door. When she spoke her voice was smooth and somewhat perky.

"Hello there, you must be Phyolea. I'm Bethany Loris, but please just call me Bethany. I can't stand all these needless formalities." She said with a light chuckle at the end.

As she spoke, Phyolea would feel a slight warm feeling rise in her chest, a feeling of attraction towards this woman. A drawing feeling that would vanish from the conscious part of her mind after a few ticks.

"Why don't you take a seat and then we can get started." Bethany said, her smile never losing its shine nor appearing anything less than genuine.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Phyolea on December 17th, 2013, 3:43 am

Phyolea returned the woman's smile. Yet the warmth from the woman's smile did not seem to be infectious. Phyolea was still nervous. Perhaps it had been the walk through the corridors and the errant screams. Perhaps it was the primary query now nagging her. Why, oh why was the door locked? Phyolea held her smile. Her nervousness seemed to intensify with each passing moment.

"Hi Bethany! My name is Phyolea. Some call me Lea for short." Phyolea had not yet overcome her accent when speaking Common. "So... I'm ready for my test?" Phyolea could not keep the apprehension out of her voice though her smile remained fixed. Focus, she commanded herself. She had no choice but to pass whatever this test would entail. She knew she needed to stay sharp.
Phyolea
Quicksilver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on December 17th, 2013, 4:09 am

Bethany sat down, steepling her hands out before her and reclining back into her chair. She was at ease here, her confidence seeming to wash outwardly from her. A charisma that was easy to detect, someone who was very used to dealing with others and listening to their woes. Her green eyes drank in Phyolea, seeming to take in almost everything she was with a mere glance. There was no harsh judgment in her eyes though, just acceptance of the facts with that same smile.

"Hmm... this isn't quite a 'test' per say. More to see if you are mentally fit for the challenges of magic. I'll ask you some questions, take some notes, and decide whether or not you have what it takes to withstand the trials magic demands." She explained patiently.

She locked onto Phyolea's gaze easily, winking at her in a charming fashion and lowering her voice almost conspiratorially.

"Just between us girls, I think you'll do just fine, Lea." She offered with a chuckle.

A soothing and calming sensation would wash over the Charoda at the woman's words, that she was safe and that she would succeed. Bethany gathered a few pieces of parchment placed off to the side and a quill, giving the aquatic woman a reassuring look. She put them in front of her and at the ready, reclining back again and crossing her right leg over her left.

"Lets start simple, are you already a practicing mage and have you any knowledge of the arcane? Most people that come here from outside of Zeltiva possess prior training they wish to compound upon." The woman asked, her tone bearing no harsh edges or judgments.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Phyolea on December 17th, 2013, 5:44 am

Phyolea finally calmed down. Maybe this isn't so bad, she thought. Bethany seemed nice enough. Her smile reached her eyes this time and her body relaxed. Phyolea pushed the thoughts of the facility out of her mind.

Bethany had asked her a series of questions. Phyolea had been so preoccupied with the ramnifications of a mental examination that she had failed to study the most obvious thing: the basics of magic! Phyolea fought the urge to grit her teeth at her own foolishness. "I am not a mage," she admitted. "And I don't know anything about the arcane. But! I have been told that my coral tricks are all arcane-like!" Phyolea's smile quickly changed to a frown. "But I don't think that's magic."

Phyolea's mind raced to try to remember anything she knew about magic. She had heard of it, but what did she really know? What if she needed to know the basics as prerequisites? Why didn't she study the prereqs! Phyolea took some deep breaths, though she would've preferred a nice gulp of fresh water. "I heard that magic is dangerous." She decided to stop talking while she was ahead, though she seriously doubted her blithering made her ahead at all.
Phyolea
Quicksilver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on December 18th, 2013, 3:56 am

Bethany regarded Phyolea with her full and utter attention, nodding slight as the woman spoke as though this was all fitting together into one image. When the Charoda mentioned her ability of coral manipulation the woman actually leaned forward, her expression showing keen interest. It wasn't everyday a member of the sea dwelling race found their way to Zeltiva, let alone attempted to become a wizard. As such much about their race was considered a mystery to some degree.

When Phyolea finished speaking the woman started scribbling away on her parchment, obviously taking notes on whatever she deemed relevant. Her mind seemed preoccupied with the task, though a slight chuckle escaped her lips. Saying magic was dangerous, especially to those used to seeing those who were broken by it was rather like saying the ocean was a little wet. The smirk remained as she finished her notes and lifted her head to regard Phyolea.

"Magic and danger are synonymous with one another, Lea. The same is true for magic and insanity, as I can tell you considering my work. Everyone makes sacrifices for their magic, the question is what will one lose when they make theirs?" She said.

As she said it a slight thrill of fear would rise from Phyolea's mind, a creeping sensation of dread that wouldn't vanish but lingered for sometime. Bethany crossed her arms under her breasts and regarded the Charoda, her smirk becoming warm once again. Her green eyes twinkled with some hidden mirth, though what brought it on was anyone's guess.

"Its not required for a student to have magical training beforehand, it just helps. You'll learn the basics during your classes, the introductory course should outline the important things such as the mechanics and dangers of magic. Most of what basic first time students learns is just raw theory anyway." She commented, nodding to herself.

"In any event, I can imagine you are rather far from home, Lea. Why did you choose to leave and come to Zeltiva? More to the point why do you seek to understand the Arcane?" Bethany asked, cocking her head to one side.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Phyolea on December 18th, 2013, 8:15 am

"Everyone makes sacrifices for their magic. What will one lose when they make theirs?" These words looped themselves over and over again in her mind. What did this mean? What kind of sacrifice? Phyolea wondered if she was choosing the right path. Was this the right way? Phyolea's trepidation returned, now more than ever. It did not dissolve with the news that there were no prerequisites required for admission into the magic program. Phyolea sorely needed to know what this sacrifice would entail.

Bethany inquired about Phyolea's purpose in coming to Zeltiva and in trying to study the Arcane. The painful events that transpired during the Massive Djed Storm of 512 came to mind. It had been over a year since that time, but she could not bring herself to talk about it. Instead she said, "I came to Zeltiva because I wanted to learn to heal. I wanted to mend the broken and heal the wounded." Phyolea paused and remembered how excited she had been at the prospect of traveling, despite herself. "However, when I arrived here there was a lot of fighting. There was bloodshed... and violence." Phyolea recalled the Myrian who helped her. The Myrian had meant well, but had resolved things by using violence. So had the swordsman. Phyolea remembered learning the plight of Denval and learning about the coup d'etat. "There was so much chaos. But why? Why must things be so violent? This is not something I will idly accept." Phyolea's voice grew firm. "I need more than healing salves and bandages to bring peace into this land. I need power. I must understand the land dwellers and the way they think. They must understand the ways of peace. I will devote my life, everything to this purpose!" Phyolea gazed at Bethany with a firm resolve. "I will pay the price to bring peace to this world and to heal this land."
Phyolea
Quicksilver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on December 20th, 2013, 1:01 am

Bethany nodded slightly, as though the Charoda's explanation was expected by this point her smile never diminishing for a second. She recorded what was said quickly on her notes, her green eyes occasionally flicking up at the sea dweller as she did. The red haired woman sat back in her chair again, completely and utterly at ease despite where she was and what she had heard. It was likely she'd heard many say the same thing Phyolea had said, yet she still afforded the aquatic woman her full attention.

"Magic... it is powerful certain. It can make others powerful, but it takes time for that power to be gained here. Plenty come here expecting immediate gains, and are disappointed when they discover that we are not Sahova. The College of Djed deals in theory and basic training in most regards, safety is its first priority. You may be disappointed in that regard." She said at length.

She hummed slightly as she picked up her already written notes and went over what she had at the moment, nodding to herself and seeming to consider something. The red haired woman gazed at Phyolea significantly, raising an eyebrow slightly. She set the notes down and seemed to realize something, what exactly was up in the air.

"Tell me, what would your people say of your interest in the Arcane? Your family? Most people do not approve of magic for rather good reasons, considering its inherent danger." She inquired.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Phyolea on December 20th, 2013, 7:16 am

Patience was not one of Phyolea's strengths. However, she did not mind the fact that there would be no immediate gains. Nor did she mind learning theory. After all, she barely knew what "arcane" meant prior to Bethany's use of the word earlier. What really got her thinking was Bethany's questions. "Tell me, what would your people say of your interest in the Arcane? Your family? Most people do not approve of magic for rather good reasons, considering its inherent danger."

Phyolea thought of home for a few moments, of the family she loved. She thought of the family seahorse and the days when her problems consisted primarily dealing with woes at school. My, how different her school woes had become. Would they beam with pride as she took steps to bring peace to Mizahar? Would they think the risk worth it, considering the lives lost and ruined by the perpetual tumult and crisis that seemed to be life on the surface? Would they understand?

"I don't know how my people feel about the arcane, of magic. They rarely talk about it. I only hear about it when they talk about the Valterrian. I'm not sure they realize that magic still exists. But my family would approve of my goals... I think," she added with uncertainty. She wished she could discuss things with them. But what if she could bring the good news of success to them? They would certainly approve of peace. They are the ones who taught her that life was sacred. Phyolea smiled. She had questions about magic, but with these precautions she would be ok... right?
Phyolea
Quicksilver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes