An Upstart in the Classroom (Selfmod)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Kayiri on August 30th, 2010, 6:15 am

Eighty Fifth of Summer, 510 AV

"You're weak when you parry to the left, Pashcal. It'd be easy for almost any opponent to simply knock aside your block and drive their sword through your heart," Kayiri commented, moving his student's hands on the wooden weapon's hilt. The teenager glared at him spitefully, instantly putting his grip back in the way it had been before. Kayiri sighed and rolled his eyes, glaring at the student.

His glare was met with one in response, one of defiance, of a youth's stubborn passion. Kayiri knew that he wasn't going to get this student to correct his attitude-- or his handwork-- without violence.

"You know what? Anyone can teach this class! You know absolutely nothing!" Pashcal cried out, running at Kayiri with the wooden sword drawn. Oh, look, Kayiri wouldn't have to start a fight. He turned on his left foot, parrying the charging stab with a quick swipe of the flat of his blade. With the swords off to the side from the parry, he took a step forward and kneed the student in the stomach, watching him keel over and back off a bit.

"Anyone with a head can teach this class, you mean?" Kayiri asked, his sword returning to an idle stance. Pashcal flushed red, charging again, this time with a slash to Kayiri's chest. Kayiri brought up his wooden weapon, parrying with a vertical sweep, is flat meeting his edge.

"Learn, child. It will help you," Kayiri said, knocking his blade aside, stabbing the wooden weapon at his chest, connecting with a satisfying resistance on the edge of the blade. Pashcal's eyes became filled with rage, almost brimming over the edge. Kayiri became wary, feeling that this student was probably one of his least stable. He had, from the very beginning, doubted putting a weapon in this student's hands, but it was what he was paid for, and it was what he had to do.

"I've had enough of your bullshit!" Pashcal screamed, tossing the wooden weapon aside. He dashed across the room, picking up his spear from where it lay on a bench. Kayiri shook his head, dropping the wooden sword and drawing his own weapon.

"This is a reckless movement, child! You only endanger yourself and everyone around you! Don't make me show you your place, runt!" Kayiri cried, taking up a defensive stance. He wouldn't mortally wound the teen, he had decided on that, but by the Gods, he would put this... this *boy* back in his place! Pashcal advanced, thrusting the spear forward, the head coming towards Kayiri's gut. It was met by the flat of his blade, flying to the right.

Kayiri back off a bit, knowing that he couldn't advance too much after one parry, lest he draw back and hit him before he could readjust. The rest of the students were well away from the combat, a few looking worried at this turn of events. Kayiri, however, kept a calm expression on his face, watching his opponent's torso for movement.

There, a movement at his hips. He was advancing quickly, and when he closed, gave another jab, this one aimed higher, at his upper chest. Kayiri dodged to the left, only to find his face right in the path of a well timed shaft-smack. Spittle flew from Kayiri's mouth as if it was one of those badass punching scenes from a movie, spraying over the ground. He quickly recovered though, delivering a swift, left-handed punch to his opponent's gut, watching him cough as his air left his chest.

Once more, Kayiri backed off, watching his foe. He was obviously skilled with this spear, much more skilled than he had expected. Closing in to take it from him would prove difficult indeed...
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kayiri on September 7th, 2010, 12:04 pm

"Tired?" Pashcal taunted, smirking cockily. Kayiri remained silent, too focused on what was at hand to make small talk. The student moved against him again, hands tight on his spear. Kayiri stepped to the left ever so slightly, the spear passing him harmlessly on the left.

Kayiri took this opportunity like he had every one before this, advancing quickly. When the student drew back for another stab, he let him stab, this time dodging to the right. When the spear just barely missed him, he closed his arm around the spear, arcing his right hand. The sword slammed into the wood of the spear, leaving a nasty gash in the wood, but not cutting it in half like he had hoped.

The spear was drawn back with a surprising jolt of force, and only by quick movement did Kayiri avoid serious injury. However, he was not quite fast enough, a nasty gash now decorating the inside of his left arm. He winced in pain, but he could not allow himself to become distracted from the fight at hand. Without moving, his opponent jabbed once more, catching Kayiri in the leg before he could move. A new, matching nasty gash now decorated the outside of his thigh. He had only just managed to maneuver as to prevent it from hitting his inner thigh instead, most likely tearing through the arteries in the process.

The spear flew a third time, but this time, Kayiri was ready. He stepped forward, but slightly to the side, slapping the spear aside with his elbow as he went. He then dropped his own sword, grabbing his opponent's spear with one hand, driving his arm down-- using just above the elbow-- on the fault his sword had made prior.

After two of these blows, the spear snapped on the fault, quite unevenly. Kayiri tossed the tipped end away, grabbing the closest weapon to him... which just happened to be the wooden sword from before. Kayiri stepped forth, watching his opponent scramble for the weapon nearest to him... also a wooden sword from before.

Kayiri let out a flurry of blows, each one pushing the poor defender back. His blood decorated the floor as it flowed from both of his wounds, but he ignored it all. His sole focus was on his opponent, as they came nearer and nearer to the edge.

The boy saw the edge approaching, and planted himself in front of it.

Kayiri smiled, swinging his blade in from the left, watching as the parry fell apart. Before his opponent could readjust, he thrust his wooden weapon forward, connecting with Pashcal's chest, right where his heart was. Pashcal stumbled backwards, falling off of the Pavilion and onto the ground.

Kayiri tossed the wooden weapon aside, standing on the edge of the Pavilion, looking down at the defeated student.

"While you still bear this dangerous temper, I will allow you no where near my class! Begone, until you fix this rambunctious, cock-sure attitude of yours! Out!" Kayiri screamed in rage. Pashcal scurried away.

A sigh escaped Kayiri's lips. He turned around and entered the Pavilion again. All of his student's eyes were on him.

"Class is dismissed," he said idly, picking up his weapon. He sheathed it at his hip, then scurried off to the nearest Opal Pavilion.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kayiri on September 19th, 2010, 2:00 am

The moment he arrived, he dismounted Serenity. He still had a white cloth pressed to his leg, covering the wound to the best of his abilities. Lovingly, he patted her flank, and let her scurry off to graze.

Quietly, he climbed up onto the Pavilion, entering one of the tents mounted on top. He bowed as he entered, and walked up to one of the unoccupied healers.

"Greetings. I am Kayiri Starweaver, of the Diamond clan. I was teaching my class at the Warrior's Pavilion, and was wounded by one of my students, who saw fit to rise up in anger and attack me with a spear. If it is not too much trouble, could I ask you to aid me with my wound?" Kayiri then spoke, explaining his identity and his situation. The woman smiled and nodded. She vanished behind a curtain, returning a few moments later with a kit of supplies. She pulled a curtain around them. As the wound was so high up on his thigh, she would need him to remove his breeches to clean the wound.

He did so without her asking, laying face down on the bed. Thankfully, the wound was far enough back on his thigh that she could attend to it whilst he was laying down. She soaked a small rag in alcohol, rubbing it over the bleeding wound. Once it was cleaned by the alcohol, she proceeded to wipe the blood away with a wet rag. She then simply applied pressure to the wound, checking every now and again to see if the bleeding had halted. When it had, she moved the cloth away, wrapping a white bandage around his leg.

When she finished, she stepped away, turning around to leave him to get back into his clothing. She was obviously a soft-spoken woman, as through this entire ordeal, she had not said any words. Curious, he thought. He pulled the pants back up around his waist, buttoning them.

"I thank you for your aid, milady. I feel much safer, knowing that the lives of our proud warriors are in the hands of talented men and women such as yourself. May I have the pleasure of your name?" Kayiri spoke, looking at the woman curiously. She spoke softly when she finally did.

"Irian." Kayiri nodded, bowed, and smiled. "Then I wish you the best, Irian. May your footsteps always be sure and your hunts bountiful," he paid her three mizas, and then left.

Today was an eventful day. He would have much to consider tonight.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Tundris on October 17th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Kayiri
+2 Longsword
+2 Observation
+1 Teaching

+50 GM

Lores:
How to Provoke a Young Spirit In Combat
Defending Oneself Against Rageful Opponents
The Consequences of Teaching with Condescension
Calming a Student's Temper

Notes: Good stuff! Thanks for the thread, it makes giving Kayiri the job worthwhile. I've given you an extra 50gm for the trouble of sustaining injuries and dealing with a 'difficult student'.
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Words: 59440
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)