Homemade soaps, toothpastes, etc?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Matthew on January 29th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Hello,

Do any of you folks happen to make your own perfume, cologne, toothpastes, soaps, shampoos, or any of that stuff? I am doing some research into having Matthew make his own beauty products, and would be interested in picking the brains of some people who are familiar with the process in real life. I would like to try creating some soap myself as part of the research process, and just had a few questions.

Thank you!

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 29th, 2014, 7:14 pm

I do all of the above. I believe I posted something in my scrap about Soap Making no too long ago. I made enough soap for a year about a month ago. No last saturday, but the Saturday before last I made candles. I know that's no in your realm...

I've never made toothpaste, but deodorant and cleansing facial products ect are super easy and super cheap.

But as a IRL beekeeper I've done all kinds of lip balms, lotions... and next weekend we're making homemade version of a medicinal liniment called Traumeel (for humans and horses) by the gallons.

I also have a lipstick mold on order to try homemade lilpsticks.. I don't mean lip balms but the actual bullet tube screw up lipsticks. I can never find the colors that flatter me best, so I'm going to just make them.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Matthew on January 29th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I will hunt down that post, thank you. Do you have any internet resources that you found helpful when you were first making soap? A Google search gets a lot of hits, but advice from an experienced person always seems to lead me to the best places.

Candles would actually be in Matthew's realm, though not the highest priority. They would be a nice touch to set the mood, and I think they could be infused with some herbs to even further aid the atmosphere. The wife also likes candles, so that is a major plus. I'll look into that as well.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Timshel on January 29th, 2014, 8:28 pm

You could bop around this subreddit for access to more hobbyists. I actually don't have much experience with what you're asking, but I did try this tutorial once. It was quite easy. Someplace to start, at least.

I suggest watching Fight Club for best results.
Timshel
Player

Words: 46821
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2013, 7:58 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)