An eventful lunch... (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Gabriel Tanshihana on September 4th, 2010, 2:19 am

1st Fall, 510 A.V.

It had been one of those days. Long traveling, a cloudy afternoon. The sun peering through, rays shedding light on all they touched. At the edge of the northern wilds a young man sat. He’d already taken the liberty of making himself a fire spit, and began to prepare lunch. The smoke wafted up lazily, and scents of roasting meat mixed with sweet blueberry. As the day went on, it became a bit cooler, the breeze picking up and caressing his form. The boy wrapped his jacket around him a bit closer as he tended to the flame. He’d taken the liberty of at least setting up in a somewhat safe area. A large tree lay behind his makeshift camping spot. Blocking out any coarse winds and giving him a place to lean his weight against.

Currently Gabe had no place to call home, and was laying his head under the stars each night. Though a dangerous proposition, he didn’t mind it. Whatever came his way he would deal with as best he could. Thankfully night was nowhere near being on its way. Yet, Gabe wasn’t sure where he would be heading after his meal. Which consisted of a rabbit he’d already taken the liberty of skinning and gutting, tossing the refuse aside. And of course a small pan of blueberry crumble. One of his favorite treats, and fairly easy to come by the materials with which to make it. Not being an expert cook he had to watch it closely. Turning the meat when needed so it wouldn’t get burnt, and watching the fruity dessert with a keen eye.

The smell of it almost made him salivate. Those crimson orbs flickering about in the dance of the fire. The only thing that bothered Gabe a small bit, was a secondary road wasn’t to far from him, and sometimes dust would waft up with the wind. But, at least it insured someone might come along. Even if he’d have to share a bit, he welcomed the company and an end to daily monotony.
For me... the world...consists of the people I love.
If those people are not here, it's as if the world does not exist.

Gabriel Tanshihana
/hero

Words: 16897
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 5:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Guido Faragas on September 4th, 2010, 2:51 pm

OOCHope you don’t mind me dropping in :)

A few pieces of old pottery. He shifted the rucksack on his back. Too light. Another fruitless search. He scowled, muttering to himself as headed through the wildlands back in the direction of Syliras. Once again his father’s information had been poor. Yes, there were ruins - but they had already been picked clean by some scavengers, leaving little more than a few pieces of broken pottery. All of the remains he had in his pack were worth little more than a few coppers – if that. Not enough to cover his rations for the time it had taken to walk to the site and return.

He was nearing a small road – little more than a track – which would eventually merge with the main route back to the city. A breeze was blowing up and it bore with it the smell of food – meat, mixed with...something else. The tall man pulled his coat close around his body and sniffed the air but he still couldn’t fully identified the smell. Frowning, he gazed around detecting a sliver of smoke from a nearby campfire. Approaching slowly, he detected a single figure by the fire. It could be dangerous to approach an unknown traveller in the wildlands: still, there were dangers in being alone in such an environment and, after the day he had had, he felt in need of company.

“Greetings stranger,” he shouted as he neared the campfire, standing far enough away to pose no threat should the stranger be jumpy. “Might I join you?”

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Words: 114496
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gabriel Tanshihana on September 4th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Gabe’s eyes flickered upwards, breaking his concentration from cooking. Not that you could honestly call it cooking. He’d already begun to overcook the meat a bit. But, since he was fairly new to this, he didn’t really understand the concept that well. If it was a little crispy so be it… Better then eating it raw. And looking back at his skinning job, it seemed some charred fur would be on the menu as well. What utter failure. But at least he gave it his best attempt!

Those red orbs still hung on the stranger as he approached. He didn’t appear to be in a hurry that was for certain. And he was alone. Why he took a back road, Gabe could only guess. And he didn’t seem to be armored or overly armed. And he of course’ wasn’t blatantly waving a weapon about like a raider or common bandit would at this distance. Usually it also involved a lot of screaming and shouting as well when such events occurred.

The man shouted out a hale and hearty greeting in common. A language Gabe shared thankfully. Gabriel put his right hand up so the man could see and waved him forwards to welcome him. The boy would stay sitting leaning his back up against the solid foundation of the tree that loomed over the makeshift camp. Leaning forward at times to tend to the food and flame at hand.

“Sure! Come on over!” the young man shouted in response back.

What was that smell? Oh no! The cobbler was starting to burn! Gabe went to grab it, then realizing the immediate error that wasn’t apparent at first. His fingers curled over the tips of the foiled pan, burning the tips of his digits. Gabe thankfully released quickly. Then slid the cuffs of his jacket down around his hands to use as temporary mitts against the heat. Removing the pan, he’d slide it off to the side next to him, resting it on an extra rock he didn’t use to form the fire pit. There the treat would begin to cool at a leisurely pace.

Since Gabe was so busy concentrating on what was in front of him, he’d be assuming the stranger was still closing, and would hopefully grab a seat across from him at the fire. Every now and then though, Gabriel would glance up to observe the man, just to make sure his intentions were as friendly as they seemed. Still attending to the meat from time to time with a fairly large unorthodox knife. At this distance it was unlikely the stranger would see the enigmatic foreign weapon belted to his hip.

Gabriel Tanshihana
/hero

Character sheet

Postby Guido Faragas on September 5th, 2010, 7:11 am

The greeting was friendly and so Guido slowly ambled his way towards the campfire. As he approached, he could see that the traveller was a young human, of much shorter stature than the tall and thin new arrival. He was about to extend a hand in greeting when the youth appeared to be distracted by his cooking. There was a slight smell of burning and the cook was trying to rectify the situation. Guido smiled. It reminds me of my attempts at cooking. I’m always burning something or other.

As the youth rectified the situation, Guido stood by quietly before taking his place, cross-legged by the campfire. As he did so, in a gesture of good faith, he unslung the bow and quiver from his back and placed it on the ground together with his rucksack. He nodded towards the food “It smells very good. I only have some trail rations in my pack, I’m afraid. I would welcome some company. It is a lonely occupation, travelling in the wilds.” Then he paused for a brief moment, his green eyes sparkling as he regarded the eyes of his companion.

“You must think me rude. I have not given you my name. I am Guido Faragas, a citizen of Syliras. I am returning to the city from a venture in the wilds.” He now extended a hand. He would give a firm handshake if the outstretched hand was grasped.

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gabriel Tanshihana on September 5th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Gabriel looked up as the man took a seat slightly across from him. He pulled the meat off to the side so it could begin to cool, yet still stay warm. The stranger put his weapon down upon the ground in a show of trust. It was more then appreciated, and Gabe tossed him a friendly smile. And the man spoke to him, citing the dangers of the wild, and the delicious smell of the cooked food. Indeed trail rations got awfully boring. And there was something about a warm meal that invigorated the spirit.

“You’re more then welcome to sit and enjoy the fire, and have a bite with me.” As Gabe said such, he began to slice a few choice bits off the rabbit here and there. Then pushed them across the spit towards the newcomer. Gabriel was always willing to share. And the person had shown no negative intent towards him. The man stared at him for a moment. Taking into account his strange red irises more then likely. It was one of Gabe’s most defining traits. Gabe never let it get to him. Even if he had the eyes of a demon.

“Ah, I do not think you rude, and well met Ser Faragas. My name is Gabriel… Gabriel Tanshihana.” Gabes hand embraced Guidos as they shook in a familiar human greeting. After drawing his hand back, the boy decided a few questions towards the man would be appropriate while they shared a meal and the dessert continued to cool.

The young man cut a few pieces of the slightly charred rabbit up for himself. Popping one of the still hot strips into his mouth and chewing vigorously.

“So you travel the wilds daily then kind Ser?” the question came out clear and cool. The fire keeping the two figures huddled around it warm, as clouds passed overhead casting a shadow upon them. The wind began to pick up a bit. Chilly, but most of it blocked off by the huge tree at Gabriel’s back.

Gabriel Tanshihana
/hero

Character sheet

Postby Guido Faragas on September 6th, 2010, 2:28 pm

The cook appeared to understand the new arrival’s gesture in laying down his bow and responded with a friendly smile and greeting. Guido took the offered food with a nod of thanks and popped a small piece into his mouth. “It is very good,” he said as he took a second piece. “Clearly, you have some skill. It is more than I have, which is why I rely on simple trail rations. This is a very welcome change.” An appreciative looked crossed the man’s face and he appeared to noticeably relax as he warmed himself by the fire.

“I often journey out of the city,” he replied to Gabriel’s question after the formalities of the handshake and exchange of names were completed. “Although rarely this far: usually it is the Bronze Woods or nearby mountains that I traverse. On occasion, as now, I go a little further. My father is an....archaelogist and I help in his business.” More like a scavenger or treasure hunter. “But this journey has been almost fruitless. I only have a few poor pieces of pot to show for my troubles.” He reached into his pack and put a couple of pieces of dirty, broken pottery on the ground. After a moment’s thought he picked up one piece. “This is the outer rim of some jug, you can see by the curve in the pot.” He traced a finger along one side of the broken shard and then tapped it with one finger.

He shrugged. “Its sound and feel indicates it is of poor quality and probably not very old. It is practically worthless but there are some collectors who will offer a few coppers for almost anything that is more than a few years old.”

“So you know why I am this inhospitable place. What about yourself, Gabriel? What brings you here?” Guido drew his coat closer to his body as the wind began to increase in strength and the air became cooler.

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gabriel Tanshihana on September 6th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Gabriel continued to watch the man, a smile on his face as they chatted. The fire and his jacket stifling most of the cold air passing around them. Gabe was thankful for the fire, and appreciated the company for sure. The wilds were filled with dangers, and if not dangers monotony. The man ate some of the cooked rabbit, complimenting the chef. Although Gabe was still new to it, few people would complain of a free hot meal.

“Why thank you. I’m actually fairly new to cooking. But, I do my best at whatever I undertake.” Gabriel commented.

He cut off a few more shreds of meat. Trying to make sure he and his guest were not chomping down on the pieces either so burnt as to be inedible, or bits with singed fur still attached. Those things he would cut or scrape off and discard into the flames to continue fueling them. Chomping down on a few more pieces, he was admittedly quite hungry. Lunch had been a long time coming, and he was lucky to find the rabbit in the first place. It must’ve been slightly mauled by a dog or some such, and then left to die. As all it originally had were bite marks along its neck. After all Gabe was no hunter, and certainly couldn’t chase down a bunny with a sword.

The man began to talk about why he was out here on the edge of the wilds. Telling Gabriel about his exploration, and his fathers business. He then reached into his pack procuring some strange pottery. It looked worn down and beaten, but nothing too far out of the ordinary. Guido’s fingers traced against one of the lines of broken pottery, probably in an attempt to show Gabe how he knew what it was, and more then likely how it was made and why. The young man did his best to show interest, after all knowledge is power. Well, the man seemed to be a bit of an explorer, and possibly some kind of researcher from what the boy understood. “Pretty cool.” Gabe remarked.

Then the man inclined as to why Gabriel was here out in this inhospitable place. He wouldn’t be able to fully give him the truth. But at least part of it couldn’t hurt…

“I’m actually headed to Sunberth… There’s someone there I need to pay a visit to…” Gabriel’s voice trailed off, as he seemed to stare off into the distance, his eyes hazy and unfocused. His left hand reached up, and his fingers curled around the side of his dark jacket tightly, as if remembering something. “That and I need to pick up some supplies and such there before I head back through the wilds to Syliras. It hasn’t been an easy trip thus’ far. But it’s one that has to be made.”

Barking could be heard off in the distance. And then a loud yelping. As if whatever it was had been struck.

Gabriel’s head tilted down the path as if looking for something. Maybe it was nothing at all, just hearing things?

“Did you hear that Guido?” Gabes voice seemed worrisome.

Gabriel Tanshihana
/hero

Character sheet

Postby Guido Faragas on September 7th, 2010, 3:12 pm

As Gabe continued cooking and distributing the meat, Guido picked up a second piece of pot. Laying it on his palm, he could see that one side was blackened, providing evidence of burning. This might suggest that it was involved in some cooking process, or had been burnt in some fire. Maybe even simply thrown on a fire after breaking? He shrugged: it could only be speculation, but often a wider picture could be drawn from the tiniest details garnered from the most unpromising relics.

The reimancer listened to Gabriel’s mention of Sunberth with interest. He had never journeyed there and new little of the place. “Have you been to Sunberth before?” As he posed the question, he popped another piece of meat into his mouth and threw the piece of pot on the ground. He was awaiting his companion’s answer when the sound of yelping and barking drifted towards the campsite. Instinctively, one hand stretched out for his bow.

“I hear,” mumbled the young human in a quiet voice. “Perhaps we should douse the fire. It pays to be careful in these parts.” He inclined his head towards the campfire, before taking up his bow and slinging the quiver across his back in one fluid motion, his eyes rapidly searching in the direction of the noise.

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paltra Immuran on September 7th, 2010, 7:30 pm

OOCI hope you don't mind my dropping in this late. And if there is any problems with my post, there will be no problem with my changing it.

The wind beheld a minor tinge of cold to it, the first sign that fall was truly beginning to set in. A sun that set sooner also clearly portrayed that fact, all to clearly if you asked a certain traveler whom was now going to be spending a great many days traveling back to his home town after visiting Syliras. His red-brown hair gently swaying in the wind, pressed back against his head, accented warmly by his rust-colored eyes. Still, his normally light-hearted disposition was one of irritation at the moment, since he set off from the city out of need, not want. Thanks to his prior actions within the city, he decided it was time to depart and likely not return unless absolutely necessary in the future… which, odd’s were, he’d have to do sometime…

It didn’t matter though, and minute by minute his tension eased, letting free of Paltra’s mind as he focused on the road ahead. Before he’d gotten very far, he’d selected a secondary road to avoid the main road, hoping in all of his luck that he’d escape notice from the guards, as much as he doubted that they even left the city. Still he didn’t feel up to taking any chances, and he’d already traveled the main road on the way to the city, so he felt it necessary to take other paths on the way back to Sunberth.

He chuckled suddenly, remembering when he’d swore not to ever go back to his home town after leaving it the first time. And now he was doing just that, out of what? Homesickness? He wasn’t sure, but it felt good having the knowledge that he would be going back to someplace familiar, if not still terrible…

Paltra slowed then, smelling food on the air wafting toward him. He immediately stopped and simply smelled it, the incredibly potent smell of cooking flesh and some kind of other aroma that was subtle but amazing at the same time. Paltra chuckled, nodding to himself as he continued on his path, enjoying the scent but leaving those that it belonged too alone. There was never many times when he’d go out in the wilderness alone, and for all he knew, the people cooking didn’t take kindly to someone with a Scimitar at their hip, a short bow at their back. Not that it really mattered in any case, he had food on him anyways, and he wasn’t particularly hungry, so there was absolutely no reason to--

That’s when he heard the sound of what seemed to be a dog barking. Paltra sighed, realizing that his body was incredibly tense in that moment. He forced his shoulders to relax, ushering his feet onward on the path.

It’s probably just some errant dog lost from it’s owner and chasing up some rabbits… Paltra offered to himself, seeing the logic in that… At least, until the dog started yelping, which then abruptly stopped…

The travelers eyes went wide in surprise, his heartbeat quickening as he reevaluated what it could have been. None of the likely situations were very appealing. Either a wolf or something of likewise danger attacked it, or someone, or something else had attacked it…

“On second thought… I am a little hungry…” He spoke, feeling his spine light up with a cold shiver. Paltra was not one to fight, he’d flee more often than not if he could. But if it was a wolf, or worse, bandits, then he’d have no choice but to fight… and die, more than likely, since the weapons he had were more for show than for anything else…

He cautiously walked forward, not having either sword nor bow drawn--more out of the predominant desire to run first and fight later than of politeness or respect. Though, it did occur to him as an after thought…

“Good afternoon…” Paltra spoke, his voice notably low, so low as for only the immediate vicinity to hear, hinting clearly at his troubled disposition as he drew closer to the pair of individuals, a man, or rather a boy by the looks of him, and an older fellow whom now sat with some pots in front of him.

“Would you perhaps mind if a fellow traveler found a seat here? Just for a while if you don’t mind…” Paltra asked, stopping and looking at the pair, hoping that they weren’t the ones responsible for what he’d heard…
Paltra Immuran
Player

Words: 38092
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2010, 11:45 pm
Location: Crawling out of that tunnel... that light at the end of it is way too bright...
Character sheet

Postby Gabriel Tanshihana on September 8th, 2010, 6:58 am

“Ah, no. I’ve never actually been there. I’ve seen it from a distance before on my travels. But, I was always told to be wary of it.” Gabriel responded to Guido’s question of Sunberth right before the yelp went out.

Then the question was asked and his newfound companion responded, as did Gabe. His left hand tracing to the grip of his katana. Then the suggestion to douse the fire. Gabriel however had no extra water to just put it out. They’d have to remove the temporary spit and toss it aside and stomp it out. He didn’t really relish that idea, but his ally made a good point. As Gabe started moving the spit aside another stranger appeared. Fairly tall and he had a certain step in his gait. The stranger came in the opposite direction of the barking, so no blame could be placed upon him.

“Good afternoon yourself ser.” Gabriel responded to the new one amongst them. He finished moving the spit off to the side right as the greeting was made. “Of course, you can have a seat with us for a time if you like.” The young man motioned to the ground around the fire. With another among then, Gabe felt less worrisome, and decided not to crush the life from the flames that still danced about. Instead sitting down observing the man that came before them. His hand still hovered about the grip of his katana, as the man had a blade around his hip, and bow at his back. It was unlikely that he was a simple traveler. However, this was the wild. Should he be caught without instruments of war, there would be no mercy… Gabriel knew that all to well.

The boy motioned to the bits of meat still leftover cooling on the rocks around where the spit once was. It would still be warm, and probably also a little crunchy and over done. Such was life with a fifteen-year-old cook who had no clue what he was doing. The dessert however appeared to have been spared from his ever so faulted touch. The sweet smell wafted about from the small pan. Now cool, Gabriel would pull it aside, and begin cutting the treat into squares to be served to his guests. Using the small knife he procured from his pack, he cut the portions as best as he could. Setting one piece in front of each of them.

His fingers curled around the warm sticky treat, bringing it up to his mouth and taking a bite. It was sweet, moist, and altogether practically a tour de force of taste compared to the over roasted meat. Just as he was doing his best to savor the meal, a large, furry, limping beast hobbled around the corner. Its coat slick with blood, and it whimpered. It was a fairly large dog from what Gabe could tell. It had an interesting collar, so it definitely belonged to someone… It continued to push towards them. Wounded animals were usually unpredictable and dangerous. But, it didn’t give out a low throaty growl as it came close. It limped towards them as if begging for help. Gabriel’s hand stopped hovering over the pommel of his weapon, and digits curled tightly around the grip.

And then the reason why became apparent. Three rather scruffy gentlemen walked around the path bickering among each other. The largest one obviously the leader, as he seemed to shut them up as Gabe and company came into view. A large spiked morning star held in his right hand, a small wooden buckler in the other. The larger man also seemed to be wearing some form of chain. His potbelly pushing out, revealing the links underneath the strange furs that adorned him. The other two looked as if they had little more then rags and patched up padded armor. Obviously seeing a bit of use. They each wielded short swords in their right grasp, already in hand and bloodied. Probably from sticking the beasts master, and then attempting to finish the job. All of them looked rough, yellowed teeth gritted between chapped lips. The large hound turned about, and began growling in their direction. The group of men did not slow their stride as they approached.

Gabriel stood as they began to close. They obviously weren’t interested in chatting.

Gabriel Tanshihana
/hero

Character sheet

Next