Flashback The Wrong Way To Skin A Cat (Solo)

A quick hunt on a windy night and an impromptu attempt at skinning

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

The Wrong Way To Skin A Cat (Solo)

Postby Zuriel on February 27th, 2014, 10:13 am

{34th day of Spring, 512}

It was early in the night, the grasses still lit in pale grey, just a touch of colour still visible to zith eyes on the cloudy horizon and the enterprising creature was out in the sky with spear in hand, ready to hunt.

Though he was not above scavenging, the predator’s of the grasslands didn’t tend to leave much behind and though hungry after a couple days without food, he wasn’t hungry enough to risk stealing from an akalak hunting party. Tonight was a good night though, wind tore across the tall grasses, forcing the smaller flying creatures to hide in trees rather than struggle against it.

Zuriel homed in on a thicket of trees and he flew in low so as to see under the foliage, quickly spotting a handful of smallish creatures which startled as he swooped past their hideout. Banking he pushed himself hard as he flew against the wind back towards the tree, loosing a shrill screech as he neared. The yowlwings scattered from their perches, the couple on the far side of the thicket had more time to react and they risked flying wide around him to use the strong wind in their favour.

The closer ones however, scrambled as hastily as they could in whichever direction he was not, the young zith picked the closest and took chase. flying against the wind was easy for him in comparison to his prey and he caught up, in seconds putting the creature within range of his spear. Unfortunately, as he struck out at the animal a strong gust pushed them aside, throwing his prey faster than he, the turn was too fast and too sudden in such a wind for the critter to handle and it tumbled into the grasses below.

Zuriel circled as best he could, scanning for signs of the creature below but it was nowhere in sight, unable to see his prey another hunter may have given up. With his keen ears however Zuriel could hear its panicked panting through the grass, he made a few more passes, zeroing in on its location and dove.

Spear readied in both hands as he connected with the tips of the grass he struck out, and narrowly missed his prey as it tucked up in fright from the noise. Coming around again he knew where it was, and as he dove in he could hear its heartbeat hammering at breakneck pace. Driving out with his spear he felt the texture as the point connected and lifted his victim from the ground, finally, he had caught a meal.

~~

The young zith sat in the lower branches of the same tree where he had found his prey earlier. With his back against the trunk, his wings fell to either side and his knees bent towards his chest to allow his feet to sit on the branch on front of him. He held his spear under his knee, close to the blade, allowing him to use the weapon like a knife as he held the yowlwing aloft and attempted to remove its fur covered skin. "So long is the fur on this one." He thought, "So irritating to bite through, it sticks to my tongue." He ran his tongue along the points of his teeth repeatedly, making spitting noises after each movement. "Next time I’ll chase a sleek one, then I won’t have this problem…" His thoughts trailed off as the fluffy creature made a strangled gurgling sound. "Still, the fur is warm, maybe I could keep it" He mused as he continued his attempt to skin it.

The yowlwing wriggled suddenly, making more gurgling noises and causing its captor to furrow his brow. "Fine." He said aloud to his prey as he raised and turned its half skinned form. Still holding its legs all in one hand he used the other to pull his spear further from under his knee. Raising the blade to the height of his head he brought the damaged animal down upon it, piercing its heart as he quickly moved his head to the base of the blade, drinking the blood that poured forth with a satisfied noise. "But now you’re not going to be as nice when I eat you." He chided, before withdrawing the blade, pushing his spear back down to his knee and continuing his work.

By the end of it, the yowlwing’s fur was in shredded ribbons and many gashes were visible along the flesh of its body. Zuriel discarded the tattered pelt to the ground with a sigh "Next time maybe, I’ll be more careful and I’ll keep the soft furry bit." And then he took to the skies again, searching for another meal, one to take home for the next night.

-END-
- Z
"Common Speech"
"Zith Speech"
"Thoughts"
Zuriel
Player

Words: 31566
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

The Wrong Way To Skin A Cat (Solo)

Postby Fantasy on April 2nd, 2014, 9:54 pm

XP Awarded!

Zuriel :
Skills
  • Hunting: +1
  • Weapon: Spear +1
  • Skinning: +1

Lores
  • Skinning: Easier when the prey is dead

Comments: Not much I could give here with the post being singular, but the hunting section was especially interesting. As always don’t be afraid to PM me with questions or comments. Don’t forget to edit your grading request please!

X
Fantasy
Retired Staff

Words: 17109
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 1:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office