Solo Stroll Down Memory Lane

Lian is trapped in his pavilion until the snow stops, and he fondly remembers a similar time many years ago.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Stroll Down Memory Lane

Postby Lian Windrunner on February 28th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Timeline: 47th Day of Winter, 513 AV

Voices. Children's voices. Loud, high pitched voices, shrill with anger. Lian groaned as he sat up in his bed roll. He knew that winter was testing everyone's tempers as most were cooped up in their pavilions for most of the time, but this was getting ridiculous. The children who lived in the tent nearest to Lian's were screaming at each other at the top of their lungs...again. Lian groaned again. The first light of dawn was just starting to lighten up the dark grey sky. Attempting to go back to sleep was useless at this point. Even if he could ignore the shouted argument, Lian knew that he would have to get up in another couple of hours at most, anyway.

As he lay in his bed roll, Lian could make out enough words to know that the children were arguing over a favored blanket. Lian wondered where the kids' parents were. Surely if they were at home, they wouldn't allow the kids to disturb their neighbors like this? Lian closed his eyes, and did his best to ignore the raised voices and their petty argument. Annoyance faded as his mind began to drift, and he was transported back to another time.

"It's mine!"

Lian blinked, startled. For a moment, the child's voice had sounded exactly like his older brother, Lukar's had. So much so that Lian looked around, just to make sure that he was awake and in his own tent rather than dreaming about the past. But, of course, it wasn't his older brother's voice. Lukar had died of the fever that had killed so many. Lian felt a twinge of grief and loss as he closed his eyes, and allowed his mind to drift once more.

"It's my knife! Father gave it to me after I made my first kill three months ago!" Lukar yelled as he snatched the knife in question out of Lian's hands.

"But I want to use it to carve this wood that Uncle Pater gave me for my birthday!"
"You can't use a hunting knife to carve wood, you idiot! You'll ruin it!"
"Will not!"
"Will too!"
"Will not!"
"Will too!"
"Will not!"
"Yes you will, and even it wouldn't ruin the knife you still can't use it cause it's mine!"
"But I want to! Let me borrow it!"
"No! Get your own knife!"
"How can I? I don't have enough money to buy one!"
"Father would give you one if you would just learn enough about hunting to be able to make your first kill like I did! I had to earn this knife, and I'm not going to let you ruin it with your stupid wood!"

Lian scowled at Lukar. Hunting was boring. Anyone could do it. Lian would far rather spend his time practicing his webbing skills, and Lukar knew it, too.

"But...!"
"Stop it! Stop it, stop it, stop it! Bad! No fight! You bad!"

The two brothers turned as one to stare at their younger sister in shock. The tiny littl girl stood with her hands on her hips as she glared up at them. The fierce expression on her face was so much like their mother's when she was angry, that they couldn't help but laugh. Lira glared up at them, and stomped her foot in fury.

"No laugh!" she demanded angrily.

This only made the two boys laugh even harder. Their baby sister was right. It was stupid to fight over the knife. Lian knew how proud his older brother was of it, and he really should have asked before just taking it like that. Besides...Uncle Pater had given the piece of wood to him for his birthday last spring. Lian had ignored it completely until now. And the only reason he was interested in it now was because he was so bored of being stuck in their pavilion with nothing to do until the snow stopped. At Lian's current age, and skill, he could only stay in the Web for a very short time before tiring, and their father had forbidden him to practice without an adult around to keep an eye on him. So even if being trapped in the pavilion wouldn't stop him from entering the Web, he still couldn't do it anyway. Lian turned to his brother with a sheepish expression.

"I'm sorry, Lukar. I should've asked before I took your knife like that. I know how important it is to you."
"And I'm sorry too. You were wrong to take my knife...but I still shouldn't have yelled like that. I'm older than you, and Father says I'm supposed to be a good example." Lukar said, looking equally sheepish.
"But you still can't use my knife to carve that wood, though." he was quick to add.

Lian nodded.

"I know. I only wanted to do it cause I was bored."

Lukar grinned.

"Well, we can't have that, now can we?"
"What are you...?" Lian began, his eyes widening in alarm as his older brother sprang at him.

Lukar began tickling him mercilessly, until he screamed with laughter. Lira's shrieks of laughter joined as his, as she was clearly amused by her brothers' antics. Lian gave as good as he got, and the "fight" lasted until both brothers were too exhausted to continue.

How old was I when that happened? Lian mused.

Then he remembered. He had been seven, and Lukar had been ten. Lira, had only been two at the time, but she was already so much like their mother that it had been a constant source of amusement for the two boys.

I miss them so much...Lian thought sadly.

Lian listened carefully, but he couldn't hear raised voices anymore. He vaguely wondered if the kids had solved their differences the same way he and Lukar had that one time.

It all started because I was bored, and wanted to try carving a piece of wood. Not that I had any idea how to. Still...maybe I should try to learn some day. It might make a good hobby for days like this when I'm stuck in my pavilion, and who knows? Maybe I can even get good enough to sell some of the results if I get good enough. he mused.
Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Stroll Down Memory Lane

Postby Fantasy on April 5th, 2014, 8:56 pm

XP Awarded!

Lian Windrunner :
Skills
  • Observation: +1

Lores
  • Lira: Bossy little sister with wise words
  • Lukar: Sibling rivalry over a knife
  • Time does not remove the absence of family

Comments: Please don’t be afraid to PM me with question or comments. As always please remember to edit your grading request.

X
Fantasy
Retired Staff

Words: 17109
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 1:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office