[Flashback, Bronze Woods] Wise Words from a Good Friend

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Iasc on September 10th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Fall 506 AV

Wandering in the Bronze Woods was exciting, if dangerous. You never knew what was going to happen. Even though it wasn't as dangerous as some other places there was a lot that could go wrong. It was a truly beautiful place. A dense forest where it would be very easy to get lost. That is why, as he walked, Iasc marked the trees with one of his arrows so he could back track if needs be. As he walked, he felt the peace and serenity of the trees translate in something mystic, arcane. It was fast approaching winter and the trees were almost bear. A multitude of colours lined the ground creating a mirage of golds, browns and reds that intertwined together creating something almost surreal. There was a sun in the sky but it generated very little heat and, every once in a while, the wind would whip up and sting his face.

He had started the day optimistically. The day before, his uncle, Sador, had paid a visit to him. Iasc was supposed to get a lesson from him in archery. He was instructed to go into the Bronze Woods and make his way to the “place they usually go”. Iasc was so excited at the time he hadn't questioned it. However, now that he had time to contemplate it he wondered a few things. Firstly, why hadn't his uncle come with him. The Bronze Wood is not a friendly place and it's easy to run into trouble. Also, Iasc hadn't been to the “place they usually go” for a year or so and he spent the night and morning trying to remember where it was. All he could remember was that it was in a clearing and a path hidden in the undergrowth led to it. He started early, meaning to waste as little time as possible, and quickly found a path. Whether it was the right path or not, he didn't know.

He was quite nervous walking in the forest alone. However, he supposed that if his uncle thought he was trained enough to defend himself then he should have no worries. For food, all he had brought was a few rations. He didn't expect to be out for too long and, if necessary, he could hunt for some meat.

He heard the birds overhead singing their songs. “Sador must be near”, he guessed, as his uncle had an uncanny knack of attracting all types of birds.
Iasc
Knowledge is Power, Music is Beauty.

Words: 74790
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Iasc on September 11th, 2010, 9:59 am

It must have been many bells since he left the relative safety of the castle and he had to be honest, he was lost. He still marked every other tree with his arrow but he lost his path in the undergrowth and he had wasted enough time trying to find it again. On top of that his paranoia had caused his fear to escalate. Every small noise, including the ones he made, sent him deeper into the belief that he was being followed. He started to move faster, started to panic. Twigs braking, leaves rustling. It all had the same effect on him. “Snap.” He shot in the other direction. “Crunch.” He fell over himself trying to run away.

“If you panic you're dead.”

His uncle's voice rang clear in his mind. “Keep your head and you'll keep your life.”
He stopped. He had to relax. Nothing good would come of panicking. “In through the nose, out through the mouth. Relax your mind. Breathing is the key. When you can control your breath and head, you can control your emotions.” He used the words of the man he was supposed to meet to calm him down.
When his breathing was back to normal and his mind was focused, he looked around. He could just about make something out to his east. He approached cautiously and sure enough it was a clearing. He scouted the perimeter but there was nothing suspicious. He entered with care. It seemed to be clear but looks can be deceiving. He spent the next few chimes making sure no-one was near. He then took a seat on the ground and opened his rucksack. He hadn't had anything to eat in hours and was famished. Taking out some nuts and dried fruit, he devoured them. How could he have let himself get so hungry. It's very unlike him. He was just happy Sador wasn't there to see it. Next he took on some water. He looked around. “What is this place? Could I be in the right clearing?” He looked for some signs that may indicate something but couldn't find any. He decided to wait a while.

A noise in the trees.

Standing to attention he listened out for something else. Nothing. Just the sound of the birds and his breathing. “The birds. Of course.” “Sador”, he said cautiously, not too loud in case someone else was lurking. Nothing. Sighing, he sat down to rest.

“I definitely heard something that time. It came from over there.” A shadow in the trees. The young man jumped. “Oh no, oh crap. What am I doing here? Why did I come here alone?” Nearly on the verge of tears, he was spinning in circles. The trees closing in. His throat closing and tightening, constricting his breath. Fingers tightening around his heart. His bow was being gripped tightly, but not with his own hand, only it was his hand yet he couldn't feel it. He couldn't feel anything, except paralyzing fear. He wished his unseen enemy would just show himself. Anything was better than not being able to see his face.

There was a glint of light. He moved towards where he'd seen it. Nothing now. Just trees. “Where are you?”, he mused aloud.
Suddenly, a noise behind him. He spun quickly, but not quickly enough. A man, about six feet tall was standing there. His black hair cut short and a smile could be seen through his bushy black beard. He was holding a sword in en garde position.
“Greetings scamp”, the man spat.
Iasc was speechless. He just stood there, mouth agape. He was still holding his bow and arrow but was in no condition to use them.
“I said hello. Didn't you hear me? Or are you deaf?”
Iasc swallowed hard. “Answer him, dammit. Just say anything.”
“N..No”, he mumbled.”I'm not deaf as a matter of fact.” “Oh. What an inspired retort that was. Why don't you just wet you pants already and get it over with.”
A short sharp laugh came from the man. “Is there something wrong with you?”, he inquired. “Do you got some mental condition or something? You don't seem too bright.”

Feeling was beginning to return to Iasc's extremities. He could now move freely. He stayed put however.
“This is what I've been training for. I can take him. He may look stronger than I am but I'm smarter than him. I can out-think him. I just need a plan. Just something to give me the upper hand so I can fini-...” He started to smile.
“What are you smiling about boy?”, the man barked. “You're in no position to smile.”
“Oh yeah”, Iasc replied. “I think you've overlooked something quite important. I've got a bow and arrow and all you've got is a sword.” He pulled up his bow, aiming an arrow at the man's heart, ready to fire. “And in case you haven't noticed, we're about ten feet away, well out of your range.” “Check and mate. I have him now. He hasn't got a chance. One false move and he's a goner”
“Don't count you chickens before they hatch, squirt.” A snide grin crept across his face.
“What is that supposed to mean?”, Iasc smirked. His arrogant disposition starting to waver. “I've thought of everything”, he confirmed to himself. “He can't get me.... Can he?”

A noise on either side. Iasc's eyes fell to the ground. He was done for, and he knew it. The man was laughing irreverently now, mocking him.
Last edited by Iasc on September 23rd, 2010, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iasc

Character sheet

Postby Iasc on September 12th, 2010, 2:11 pm

His arms were being held behind his back by one man. Another man had a sword to his throat and the third man, the one who had originally confronted him, was still laughing at him from across the clearing.
This wasn't a very good situation to be in. His only hope seemed to be a visit from Sador to fight off these thugs.
“What do you want?”, Iasc asked to none of them in particular. The one across from him walked over slowly, trying to build suspense it seemed. He moved close to Iasc's ear and whispered, “We want to kill you.” He then sent a maniacal laugh straight into Iasc's ear.

“That's enough boys”, came a fourth voice.
“Wait a minute. I know that voice.”
He was still being held when who else but uncle Sador emerged from the trees. Iasc was shocked. It had been a set-up. His fear transformed into anger. “You son of a ...., I'm going to kill you”, he bellowed.
He started towards his uncle, who wasn't a very tall man but he was well built. Nothing good would come from challenging him to a fight.

As usual, it was difficult to pick out his face, hidden behind long black hair and beard. He looked back to the other men who were smiling now. They looked the exact same. Iasc should have recognised them as his uncle's students.

“Are you here to learn or what? Stop gawking and pick up your bow and hand it to me.”
Iasc reluctantly picked up his discarded bow and gave it to his uncle.
“Stop sulking”, Sador snapped. His voice so deep Iasc could feel it in his feet.

They lined up in front of an archer's target that was set up at one end of the clearing.

“There are four main stances for archers. Proper stance keeps your shot consistent. We will only work with one stance today, the even stance.” Sador stood with both feet level and firmly planted on the ground. “This stance shouldn't be too hard as it is the natural position. It is also very easy to reproduce. Let's see you do it.”
“This is ridiculous”, Iasc thought as he put his feet on the ground. “I don't need to learn how to stand. I know how to stand.”
“Open you legs”, Sador barked. “Very good. Now, fire at the target.” He handed Iasc the bow and an arrow.
Iasc took them impatiently. He nocked the arrow and fired. It soared harmlessly over and to the right of the target, getting lost in the trees. “Not so easy now, is it?”, Sador remarked. “What went wrong?”
Iasc stood despondent.
“Well, if you're going to pout, I'll tell you what went wrong. Firstly, you nock the arrow all wrong.” He took the bow and an arrow. “You want two fletchings to face towards the string and the other to face away, like this.” He demonstrated what he just said.
“That one is at a right angle”, Iasc remarked proudly, showing his mathematical knowledge.
Sador grunted, unimpressed. “The arrow must be nocked at the centre of the string and the shaft must remain in contact with the bow at all times. I cannot stress these points enough.”
He gave the bow and arrow back to Iasc, who did what he was just shown.
“Why must I nock the arrow like this?”, he inquired trying to sound as disinterested as possible.
“It turns a tame arrow into a deadly projectile. Make sure it goes where you want it to go and not get lost in the trees.” He shot Iasc a smile. “At least you know how to hold it properly.”
Iasc raised the bow, ready to fire. “Wait”, Sador shouted. “Now you must learn how to aim and release.”
Iasc sighed. He was usually a very patient person but it was starting to wear thin. “Practice makes perfect”, he told himself. “That's why I'm here.”

“Gently raise the bow and look at the target. Good. Now, to achieve maximum accuracy, the sight level and bow level must be aligned properly.”
Iasc repositioned slightly.
Sador grunted in approval.
“The key to a good release is relaxation and concentration. Keep all your fingers relaxed and your head and eyes turned towards the target. After you release, follow through.”
Iasc nodded and released the arrow. It glanced off the periphery of the target.
“Very good”, Sador said, giving Iasc a quiver. “Now practice.”

Iasc spent the next few bells firing arrows at the target. Every now and again Sador would give a word of advice but, for the most part, he just watched, letting his young student learn from his own mistakes. By the time they were finished it was starting to get dark.
Iasc

Character sheet

Postby Iasc on September 16th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Iasc had motioned to the other man to stop. He had seen his prey. A lone deer stood silhouetted by the descending sun. He could hear Sador's voice in his head, “Relax, focus, concentrate. Hunting is all about patience.” Iasc was patient if nothing else. The two men had spent at least half a bell tracking this deer. Vena, Iasc's accomplice in this feat, had shown him the basics of tracking and they had stalked their pray as it wove through the trees, none the wiser to their presence. The deer had finally stopped to graze and Iasc knew this was his chance. He looked towards Vena who gave a nod of encouragement.

Iasc dropped to one knee. He was very precise in his movements and remained completely silent. The slightest sound would alert the deer to his presence. He had three arrows strategically planted in the ground before him. He released the leftmost one and nocked it. A bead of sweat trickled down his face, just missing his eye. He had fought the moral fight with himself, ever since Sador told him of his mission, if he should take the life of another living creature. He had turned the predicament over and over in his mind finally resolving that the deer must die for him to live. However, now that it came down to it, he couldn't quite bring himself to draw the bow.

From across the way Vena looked in the direction of Iasc. He had taken longer than necessary in preparation for the kill. “Fire the arrow.” He gritted his teeth. “Kill the deer. What are you waiting for?” The experienced hunter was beginning to get nervous. He knew that if they didn't take this kill they might go hungry for the night. He readied his bow. His heart was starting to beat faster. He edged a little closer to the deer. He drew his bow and moved slightly to get a clear view of the deer. He fired. The deer ran. It didn't get far, however. Just as it moved Vena's arrow struck it in the hindquarters, bringing it to the ground. A second arrow made sure it would never breathe again.

Iasc tentatively approached the, now dead, deer. In a tree beside where it's corpse lay an arrow was stuck, Iasc's arrow to be precise. It had found it's target. After all his deliberating he couldn't take the poor creatures life. “It seems that I missed”, he sighed as Vena came into view. “Maybe I shall have better luck next time.”
“If there is a next time”, Vena murmured, low enough so Iasc wouldn't hear.

Vena unstrung his bow and tied the deer's four legs together. He then put the stave through the legs. He took one end of the bow and told Iasc to take the other. They struggled back to the clearing with neither saying a word to the other on the trip back, both wrapped up in their own thoughts. Vena left the deer at the edge of the clearing and walked off. “Come”, he motioned with his hand towards Iasc, who obeyed without question.

“What's happening?” Iasc asked himself. “Where are we going and where is Sador?” He didn't trust Vena, even if his uncle did.
Vena stopped and started picking up twigs. “We need to light a fire. Pick up dry twigs.” He had a very monotonous voice that gave the impression of a battle hardened man who wasn't afraid of anything. “That's what years of keeping company like Sador will do to you”, Iasc thought with a smirk. Finding dry twigs wasn't hard as it hadn't rained for a while. They soon had enough to bring back to where they left the deer.

Vena started to place the trigs in a neat pile on the ground. Finally plucking up the courage, Iasc enquired to Sador's whereabouts. “Up here”, came a voice from overhead. Iasc looked up to find Sador in a tree waving down.
“What are you doing up there?”, Iasc enquired.
“Getting your accommodation ready”, was the reply, with a smile for good measure. “There's a ladder over there. Come on up.”

Iasc's eyes widened in amazement. They had set up camp in the branches of the tree. “How did you do this?”, he asked, astounded as he eyed the work.
“That's for me to know and you to find out”, Sador said with a wink. “Skin that deer Vena”, he called down. “Iasc can light the fire.” He turned his attention back to the youth before him. “Let's go get the fire going. We don't have much light left.”

Iasc watched expectantly as Sador struck a piece of flint with a piece of steel. He had claimed it would make fire and, after just a few hits, a flame erupted, sending sparks and ash dancing as they floated weightlessly on the air. The tinder then ignited the wood and a fire raged wildly, yet controlled.

They moved over to where the deer lay on it's side. Vena had prepared it so the meat was showing and ready to be cut. Sador handed a knife to Iasc who, with as much precision as he possessed, cut out five pieces of meat as evenly as he could. The meat was then skewered onto a spit and placed over the fire.

It was quite an operation. Each man had his job and knew exactly the best way to get it done. Iasc didn't have much to do as he was mainly observing. He was learning to do things that he hoped would provide him with the skills to get by on his own.He didn't expect to live in the castle all his life and knew that eventually he would have to leave.

After they put the meat on, Sador told Iasc of his ventures in the wide world of Mizahar. His trips alone and with friends in the many regions of this land they called home. Iasc didn't know where the places were, that Sador mentioned, outside Sylira but he listened intently, nevertheless, at the, perhaps slightly embellished, tales in which he fought whole armies with just a handful of friends.

Of all places, Iasc loved to hear about the harsh lands of Eyktol. The hot, barren, unforgiving deserts made a great setting for tales of heroic feats. He heard stories of great races like the Benshira and Chaktawe and their bravery and courage.

Before he knew it, Iasc was being handed a plate of meat and a few berries that must have been picked from the surrounding area. He ate slowly still listening to Sador's tales well into the night. The embers in the fire died out before they finally managed to find a bed.
Iasc

Character sheet

Postby Iasc on September 23rd, 2010, 3:10 pm

The morning was overcast, rain was threatening but a silhouette of the sun could be seen trying to break through the clouds. As Iasc descended the ladder, he had wished that he brought more cloths since the cold was starting to get to him. Vena and the other two men were setting up the archery target again and Sador was walking over to Iasc with a plate, and a smile coming through his beard.
“Breakfast time”, he said, handing Iasc a plate of leftovers from the previous night. As he ate he watched the scene unfold around him. The three men were taking test shots at the target. Masters of the skill, all of them. None missed the bulls-eye. Iasc watched in awe for a few chimes trying to pick up some tips. They made it look so easy, their fluidity natural. Everything was done with precision and it was all second nature to them. Their skill meant that it was too complicated for Iasc to learn anything from watching them alone. He may have considered approaching them but his encounter with Vena the previous day forced his thoughts to stray from archery and back to the dilemma that he was in. He hadn't yet told Sador, who was still under the impression that Iasc had killed the deer, what had happened. He didn't know how to. Sador would feel that he had been betrayed in a way. He was a worshipper of Gnora. Iasc didn't know a lot about the Goddess but he knew where she, and her followers, stood with relation to emotion. He had let his emotions rule his head, something which his uncle frowned upon. Something which, if it had been any other student of his, could, and would, be punishable. The nature of his uncle's beliefs made Iasc nauseous when he thought about what the punishments could be. Something beyond his comprehension, for sure, but the question was: how far? Would he really throw his own nephew to the dogs, could he, in good conscious do it? The voice in Iasc's head was saying, “Yes, yes he could, for the betrayal of a family member is much worse than that of a friend.” Iasc tried to alter his train of thought. “Mathematics. A right angle is ninety degrees.” His uncle, who was also his mathematics teacher, came back into his mind. “Archery. Two flechings towards string, one away.” His uncle returned. He needed to think of something unconnected to Sador. “Yes. Yes. That's it. My mandolin.” He thought of his instrument. The light brown wood that shined brightly when struck by the sun. The beautiful, melodic sound it emitted that could bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your lips at the same time. The way you could hold ma... A flash of his uncle could be seen. It was no good. He couldn't get Sador from his mind.

“The truth will set you free”, he had always been told. It must be a saying for something, it had to mean something, didn't it? If he told the truth would his uncle understand. Would he possibly be sympathetic, reassuring Iasc that he did the right thing. He turned the phrase over in his mind again and again. There was something he had missed. It would tell him what to do when he found it. All he needed to do was think.

He was rooted to the spot. His body covered in sweat. He looked down at the plate in his hands. His grip loosened and it fell to the ground. He followed it, a black void of pain and horror filling his mind as he lay motionless on the ground oblivious to all that surrounded him.
================================================================== ==================================================================

When he awoke the clearing was deserted, except for Sador. “What happened?” he groaned, lifting his head.
“You passed out”, Sador replied. His voice was almost robotic and his expression neutral. “We must leave.”
He started to walk off. Iasc got up and followed slowly, head bowed.
They departed for Stormhold Castle
Iasc

Character sheet

Postby Iasc on September 23rd, 2010, 5:16 pm

“I n...n...need to speak to you”, Iasc mumbled. Sador looked at him strangely.
“What is it?”

A few silent chimes past.

Iasc made a few incoherent noises. Mere sounds only. Inaudible to the human ear.
“Speak up, pronounce your words”, Sador barked. “You know how to speak, don't you?”
“I...didn't...kill...the...deer.” Iasc slowly projected each word, pronouncing each letter to its fullest. “I...I couldn't.”
His eyes fixated on the ground. He couldn't look at his uncle, who's searching eyes he could see in his mind, boring into his skull trying to make sense of the situation through thought alone.
What felt like a bell past in mere moments. “Why couldn't you?”, came the question. Iasc had been expecting it. So predictable. He hadn't, however, decided on an answer yet.
He wasn't good at lying to his uncle, the truth always seemed to come out. “The truth will set you free.” Will it? Iasc didn't know. He wasn't sure what truth was and he definitely didn't know what freedom was. He had long ago concluded that they were just words with ambiguous meanings designed only to keep the Status Quo, a very important idea in Syliras.

He had been contemplating his current predicament since the fateful murder. He had chosen his words carefully and spoke clearly so as not to be misunderstood. But he still had to make a choice. His stomach twisted and turned, his mind in a downward spiral, going round and round, aching for release. He felt he could pass out again. The voice in his head ordering him to tell the truth, come clean.
He must tell the truth. It was the only way to end the pain. A realization , epiphany? Only one way to find out.

“I missed the deer on purpose.” His voice was strong, defiant. He locked his uncle into a staring match. Each man looking the other straight in the eye. Neither willing to back down.
“I couldn't do it”, he repeated softly, almost pleading. “I couldn't kill it.”
A few moments passed. Beating hearts and aching minds.
Sador broke eye contact, and walked away without a word. Iasc looked back to the ground. A smile crossed his face. A small victory it was, but a victory none the less. He looked back up, his uncle walking slowly away. It would feel like a betray of trust to Sador, A small thing, but dishonorable.
Then Iasc fell to his knees and began to cry. Not tears of sorrow or woe, nor tears of joy, bur tears of relief.
“The truth will set you free”, he said to himself. “But before freedom, you must endure pain.”
Iasc

Character sheet

Postby Ataraxia on October 24th, 2010, 9:15 am

Iasc
XP
Meditation + 1, Shortbow + 2, Rhetoric + 2, Tracking + 1, Wilderness Survival + 1
Lore
Making a unique trail | Failing to recognize an ambush | How to properly notch an arrow | Putting an animal's life over supper | Disappointing a family member | The truth will set you free

Comments
Cool thread, I liked how you explained Iasc's uncles mentality by mentioning he worships Gnora. If you have any questions/comments about the XP/Lore recieved, feel free to message me and don't be shy about it. I'll entertain any requests for things you deserve that I left out. Cheers!
Ataraxia
It's like nirvana, but not really.

Words: 49327
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2010, 6:25 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Peer Reviewer (1) Trash Medal (1)