Completed Dinner Date

Amolina recieves an "offer" to leave Ravok for a while

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Dinner Date

Postby Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 8:34 am

Timestamp: Day 60 of Spring 514 AV
Location: The most upscale, discrete and expensive tavern in Ravok

There had been a few calm days after the spring fair.

Amolina’s meeting with Gaius Alzelin at KRI five days ago had went unexpectedly well and everything seemed very promising. She had been so busy with all the things NMSS had entailed. There had never been time and opportunity to do anything about questions that had troubled her for a long time. But all in all, life had been looking up this spring. The research project had seemed to develop just fine, she had been given a role in a performance at the fair ...but this seemed pale and not so important anymore, now when she had become a mother.

The baby made her happy, in a simple, natural way, just like a sudden warm ray of sun on a cloudy day can make you happy. Wherever she went and whatever she was doing, she thought t of the small baby who waited for her at home. She would go home and lift Pearl up from the cradle and hold her warm little body in her arms and kiss the girl’s downy little head.

The child was her life now. Amolina knew the silent secret of all mothers: Pearl was the big true love and nothing compared. Even if she’d had the child the natural way and there had been a father, he would have been peripheral and of no big importance to her anymore. The small child and her needs dominated everything. There is no stronger bond in human life, it overrides all other feelings.

And nothing else mattered. Nothing else mattered. Well, it mattered, but in a secondary way now when a being of higher magnitude had entered her life. Her actress career and art was of course still important. The research project she owned a third of and that had been her idea once upon a time was still important. The chance at finally find explanations to the lingering frailty she felt after last year’s poisoning and medical treatment was still important to her.

Just not as much as it had. Amolina loved the baby and the baby loved her. This came first.

She had never found out about the medicine she had been given last year and the side effects it might have caused. Old questions, no answers … her questions were going old and sometimes it had even felt like it wasn’t important to get them answered anymore. This was how life was, she thought philosophically. Every time you give priority to something there’s also something you put aside and think you’ll do later.

One of those days.

Eventually.

At some point.

But sometimes later never comes. And then everything is suddenly too late. Make sure to be brave enough to do and say what matters, the only things that counts, before night embraces you in its silence and consigns your name to darkness.
Last edited by Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amolina
Player

Words: 327287
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Dinner Date

Postby Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Amolina had accepted that her health would maybe always be a bit fragile. Not so much that it would hamper her life, just slightly fragile and mostly only when some unpleasant situation took its toll on her. She would live with it, and counter it as well as she could in the times to come.

For most people it would be seen as a sign of weakness and be a drawback. But for an actress it was different. Amolina would simply pass it off as fragile artist nerves. It could even give her an intense and tragical air that could boost the career a lot. The great actress, burning for her art, but alas with delicate nerves. At any sign of trouble and in particular unwished requirements of hard work, she could become dramatic, then faintly ask for her sal volatile and withdraw to her room to rest.

But it wasn’t useful at NMSS as her strength-worshipping business partners weren’t likely to react well to weakness. And it wasn’t useful right now.
This evening Amolina was having dinner with her Ebonstryfe “contact”, Xavier the blackmailer and just like when they had met at Yae Varone’s he had said she could see it as a job to act like it was a date. A performance in public. She would even be paid for it, in order to make it really authentic.

“Improvisation” he said. “Improvisation is the hardest in the art of acting ... and a challenge worthy of an actress like you. Much more so than the kind of performance I saw you take part in at the spring festival.“

Amolina didn’t have a say, so she didn’t say anything. She played her role as the dinner date of the elegantly dressed Xavier, and smiled at him like she loved to be there. This was maybe not just a lie. The tavern was really expensive and luxurious. It was so expensive and luxurious that it didn’t even have a name ... it wasn’t meant to be found by the common crowds, it was an exclusive tavern that only needed an address. The kind of patrons that frequented knew it and that was enough.

She was wearing her azure blue silk dress, the one she used in places like this. A dress for special occations.

She had been wearing her most beautiful dress at Pearls registration, when she went with the baby to the registration office, in order to get all the proper paperwork done. At this special occasion she had wanted to look beautiful. Albeit the baby didn’t care about it Amolina had still felt it was right to be at her best. Some people didn’t care about making things beautiful, she knew, but if there was no beauty, what would the world be like. A grey place. A beige place. A barren and lacking place.

If there was no beauty, what would Ravok be like?

Her mind shied away and didn’t answer. Ravok without it’s alluring beauty was unthinkable.

Art and beauty were utterly important. The exquisite bracers of carved bone she was wearing were important because they were beautiful, which was the only thing they contributed to the world. And the same went for the light rose floral patterns on the textiles of the Nitrozian-Moletta Sanitary Station. What would NMSS be like without it’s pale rose walls in the lobby and office and the elegant flowers she had chosen to match the wall color?

Every day she looked at the decorations of the location and felt pleased with how nice it looked. It used to light up the days she spent behind her desk with all the boring paperwork of science. The lab was just a smelly mess, but the lobby was beautiful and there was a soft fragrance of perfume.

As part of the playacting job she was doing, she smiled at Xavier again over the beautiful glass she held, while she took a sip of the sparkling white wine and studied the menu. She didn’t know yet what to order. There were no prices on the menu and she couldn’t even begin to guess how much the starters like would cost. This made her feel nervous and out of her depth but she made sure to act, control her face and look at ease.
Amolina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Dinner Date

Postby Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Xavier smiled back at her. “I have a few things we need to discuss tonight” he said. “But let’s take this one step at the time. Firstly, I want to tell you that you are looking lovely as always. It impossible to believe that you have recently been pregnant and given birth to a child. Is everything well with your little girl?”

Amolina nodded and smiled, acting like she was having a great time, but her heart was racing in her chest. She didn't want to speak about her little Pearl with Xavier. She hoped he would drop the topic and go on to other things if she didn’t say anything, just smiled and nodded.

They ordered a starter with a complicated name. Amolina had no idea what it could be. But as she didn’t know what the other things were either, she accepted Xavier’s help and let him order for her. After very short time two small platters with meticulously and artistically arranged food arrived. Amolina observed Xavier pick of one of the many sets of cutlery laid out for him on the silk covered table and then she picked the right knife and fork.

It was some kind of mildly spiced fish on a bed of imported fresh vegetables. It tasted delicious.

Xavier smiled at her again.

Amolina smiled back.

“I’m a bit worried that you seem to be an unmarried mother though. All alone with the responsibility. But you have, of course, the protection of the Ebonstryfe. As a good ravokian citizen you always have the protection of the stryfe.” Xavier spoke in his usual polite and calm tone.

Amolina nodded again and smiled again, playing the role she had been given. As this was Ravok and the man wasn’t her friend, his words scared her. She regocnized them as the start of something bad. The subtle beginnings of a threat. But she acted relaxed and didn’t show any signs of fear. To somebody watching them, it would look like she was having a good time in the company of a man of some wealth and position, also an officer in the stryfe. He had his uniform on and looked very fashionable.

“As a matter of fact, I find it well worth protecting you Amolina” Xavier said. He drank the last of his sparkling wine and was about to finish the small starter dish. “Please feel assured that I would never let anybody hurt you. Or your child. I hope you realize that you can trust me to keep you safe. A good citizen deserves her protection.”
Amolina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Dinner Date

Postby Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Amolina finished the first dish too, and the sparking white wine. What could she answer, but saying thanks ? So she said thanks and smiled and nodded more. She felt like doll, a puppet on strings, of the kind used in doll theater plays, maneuvered by an invisible puppet master behind the coulisses. Her face felt like a mask frozen in an eternal pleasant smile.

She was a doll. Just a doll.

But her voice when she thanked him was calm.

It was time to order the main dish and again she let Xavier do it, as he seemed to know what the food on the meny was. As this was Ravok, it was fish again, spicy grilled fish this time. A new wine arrived, still white, but somewhat stronger in the taste in order to match the food. Once again Amolina took the corresponding set of knife and fork Xavier was using, after discretely observing him.

The food was excellent.

“It troubles me that I’m going on a business trip at the end of this spring” Xavier said after a while. “Ravok can be a dangerous place. I’m not so sure you have anybody else to help you if something bad would happen. The city is more dangerous than most citizens understand. There’s the terrorists for instance ... The Rising Dawn. ”

Amolina felt unsure and looked at him. The confusion she felt was shining through. She had heard rumors of course, but she had believed the terrorist threat was over. That was all. She told him this and asked him if those people hadn’t all been seized by the Ebonstryfe.

“Many of them. We raided and investigated every suspect place in Ravok in fall. And the leaders were seized. They were executed in winter. But after this there were riots and no doubt there’s still terrorists among us. I believe it’s impossible to get them all and some of them are surely still hiding in Ravok, planning new deeds and waiting for an opportunity to strike. Keeping Ravok and the ravokians safe is a work that never ends. There will always be some threat or another we need to deal with.”

He smiled at her. “I can see that you have never thought so much about this. You are an actress, not a stryfer. I’m sure you wouldn’t even suspect anything even if you saw one of them right in front of you and was asked to carry out an obviously dubious job. For somebody like you it would be impossible to even think the thought - am I not right?”

Amolina had no idea where this conversation was headed. She looked at him and felt completely clueless, but acted on and pretended to agree. Again she nodded and again she smiled, like she really was a doll and unable to do anything else than nod and smile.

And they finished the fish and went on to the dessert.
Amolina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Dinner Date

Postby Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Xavier ordered a fruit cocktail. It was early in the year for fruit and it seemed to be fruits Amolina didn’t recognize. But she didn’t say anything. She just ate the fruit cocktail slowly. The light and sparkling wine from the start of the dinner was back again, her glass filled anew.

“Good. I thought so.” Xavier reached into his jacket and took out a paper. “This was found in a secret drawer in a small table when we did an investigation in The House of Immortal Pleasures. It’s a spy report. A report about a Black Sun agent named Marcus Ahysen. Unfortunately the handwriting looks just like the handwriting on business letters you have written to that old folks home in Noble District your research project cooperated with in winter. But luckily I am the only one aware of this, and I see no reason to share that knowledge with my Ebonstryfe colleagues without having checked it with you.”

He put the report on the table in front of Amolina.

The world seemed to have stopped.

It was the report she had written last summer, the job she had been tasked with by the big tattooed man in The House of Immortal Pleasures. It was long ago and she had forgotten the name and could only recall the tattoos. She had left the report in the secret drawer and hoped this would be the last she ever saw of it and that this ill-fated spot job would never catch up with her.
But apparently not.

The Spot. That tavern and it’s job board seemed to be the place in Ravok where everything really hard and troublesome always started. If she had only stayed away from The Spot her life would have been less complicated, she could see that now. If not for The Spot she would never have fooled Parnell and stolen his business ledger. She wouldn’ have been poisoned and she wouldn’t have been sent to KRI, she wouldn’t have met Gaius Alzelin and not become the assistant of Valerius Nitrozian. Many crazy things would never have happened, the whole NMSS project wouldn’t exist and she wouldn have Pearl.

And she wouldn’t sit her now with Xavier and watch the effects of a spot job backfire on her once again. The report, from that old sudden spy spot job long ago, with information about a man who hadn’t been seen in Ravok for seasons, had come back from the past to get her.

But she acted on and smiled and nodded. Her role was easy, her role was hard, her role was the hardest she ever had played. While her life was at stake and her daughter’s as well, she mustered all the impersonation skill she had, donned the facial expression of another and played the role she had been given. It was the role of the doll, incessantly, pleasantly, bravely smiling at the face of death.

She was the doll. She was Amelia Cross.
Amolina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Dinner Date

Postby Amolina on April 14th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Xavier had ordered coffee. She hadn’t noticed. But here the coffee was now, a small cup of dark brew. Amolina tasted it and composed herself. She needed to think of Pearl. Xavier would hardly speak with her about this at a dinner in an extremely expensive restaurant if all he wanted was to seize her. It would have been cheaper and more efficient to just send a few soldiers for her.

He was the only one who knew about the report. And he said he wanted to protect her. She drank some more coffee and waited for him to tell her the price. There was always a price to pay for protection. NMSS had been Valerius Nitrozian’s price. Clyde Sullins had required her to betray Parnell. Parnell ...

... had come out of the alley with his blowgun, killed one thug and beaten the other one unconscious, gotten nearly knocked out himself in the fight, made the business deal with Barton, then told her it was time to leave.

It occurred to her that Nolan Parnell in all his cruel and poisonous greed was actually the only one who really had protected her and saved her when it counted. It had been for the sake of profit of course, that had been obvious when he had put pressure on the thug and made her too nearly break in the process.

Still. He hadn’t asked her to pay. No price in mizas or any other currency had been put on her life.

“You seem thoughtful Amolina”. Xavier’s voice made her look at him again. The memory and the fragments of thoughts went away. Like the actress she was, she acted, nodded and smiled and said that at nice dinner like this it was hard to not be thoughtful, due to all the lovely things he had treated her to.

“I have actually been thinking that you could come with me. For the work trip I’m being sent on. You can bring the baby with you, as we will be gone for quite a while and I wouldn’t want to separate the two of you. “ He smiled.

And he continued to speak. “This way I could keep you safe. I feel pretty sure nobody else knows the connection between you and this report. Yet. So far I’m the only one who have had reason to investigate you and your colleagues and look into the research project you are involved in as well as study the findings from Ebonstryfe raids at Rising Dawn hideouts. With you away from the city, and working for an Ebonstryfe commander too, I think the risk for being outed as the author of this small report would be minimal.”

Amolina acted on and smiled and nodded. She agreed fully with what he said. And oh, she would like to work with him above all else !

They spoke a bit more about practical arrangements. He payed the dinner and he payed her for the evening’s acting job, just like he had said. A decent reward for a job well done, and more to come if she would go on in this brilliant way. Xavier took her hand and kissed it. It looked just like the end of a date with style and finesse.
Amolina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Dinner Date

Postby Nemesis on May 3rd, 2014, 11:51 am

Amolina Moletta

Knowledge :

Skills

Skill XP
Acting +2
Impersonation +1
Observation +2
Philosophy +1

Lores

*A New Job Offer
    *The Joys of Motherhood
    *Spot Jobs: Worth It?

Micellaneous :

Injuries
    *None

Loot/Expenses
    *None

Notes

*I like Xavier... will be interested to follow you on your escapades and see what Amolina gets up to! Though we'll be sad to see you go :( come back to us one day.

Feel free to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns, if you have any.
Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as 'graded'.
Thank ye!
Nemesis
Fortune and Retribution

Words: 296717
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)