Dreams/Dreamwalking

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Dreams/Dreamwalking

Postby Ala on May 27th, 2014, 10:52 pm

While setting up my character sheet, I've been doing a bit of research on lore. My character is interested in dreams (dreams, to her, are stories from inside, from the soul, which makes them infinitely fascinating). So I took a look at Nysel and his gnosis, dreamwalking. This led me to read up on the chavena and chavi, as well as the Ukalas (hopefully I'm spelling all of these correctly). I hope these questions haven't been asked before, and also that I haven't simply overlooked the answers to them.

1.) Can Ethaefal view their past lives through their chavi? I assume yes, because a person's chavi is a complete record of a person's past and present lives (as well as a blank slate for their future), but I thought I'd ask just to be sure. If they can, would they be able to view portions of memories created while in Leth's/Syna's domains (before their fall), or would their mortal mind not be able to fathom those portions?

2.) Can you use an object that someone crafted as a key for seeking their chavi? For example, say my character was interested in 'antiques' and filled a room with old artifacts and objects. Could she then use a crafted object to connect to its creator's chavi to learn more about the object? Or would the object have to have some part of the creator in it (like a piece of hair that fell into the clay pot as it was being molded)?

3.) Does the key to a person's chavi have to be touched directly by a dreamwalker, or does proximity count? Like, could my character easily find the chavi of someone standing right next to her, or would she have to reach out and touch that person to connect? Would standing on a grave be enough to find the deceased's chavi, or would my character have to bust open the coffin (or the ground, or whatever), and touch the remains directly?

4.) Can dreamwalkers (high level ones) use a person's chavi in real-time to alter a person's emotional state (or an animal's, for that matter)? Say someone was in an accident/attack, and was freaking out. Could a dreamwalker 'step into' that person's chavi and send soothing vibes in order to calm him/her?

5.) Lastly, I was reading a thread about earning a dreamwalking gnosis when one of the posters (Gossamer) wrote:

"...being the Dreamwalker she was, she'd know where and when she'd step into in relation to the now which was always the beginning of the Chavi where it attached to the Ukalas."

Does this mean that the "present" portion of chavi (the stuff that is being recorded now, as it is happening) is the portion that is closest to the Ukalas? I know the lore says that mortals can't simply step into the Ukalas on their own (unless they are the offspring of a god/mortal coupling), but would a dreamwalker be able to "feel" the proximity to the Ukalas? And I know this is stretching it, but could an Ethaefal gain access to the Ukalas as might an Alvina since they are not entirely earthly creatures? (As Colombina described in her scrapbook post, "Eths ought to appear as surreal and spiritual creatures. Portions of them aren’t organic, there’s a bit of miracle to them.")

I think that's everything for now (I know, it's a lot to ask). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ala
Player

Words: 10161
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2014, 9:26 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Dreams/Dreamwalking

Postby Radiant on June 6th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Since this question is pretty deep and intriguing, I think the lack of answer is because no one - I assume - has good answers and Goss haven't looked at it yet. I also don't have any good answers either, all of them are assumptions and not worthy to be posted here.

I would suggest that you also post this question in the Help Desk, give it the "Gossamer" tag, and once it is answered, it'd be awesome if you post it here as well. :D
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Dreams/Dreamwalking

Postby Ala on June 6th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Alright, good idea. I'll give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion! ^_^
Ala
Player

Character sheet

Dreams/Dreamwalking

Postby Gossamer on June 13th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Hi there.

Sorry this took so long for me to get too. I’ve been doing some writing and not much admin-ing lately and its been costing players a lot of wasted time. :(

1. Eth can if they have Dreamwalking specifically or Divination. You can, however, as an ETH not know any of your life in Syna or Leth’s domains as per Colombina. You would know past lives, but these existances would be blank or missing from your Chavi.
2. Antiques can be used as a key to someone’s Chavi but its hit or miss on who’s Chavi it is… it could be someone who owned the antique a long time, or it could be the person that crafted it, etc. It depends on who held the object in the highest esteem. For example, a wedding ring would most likely be the owner’s Chavi key not the jeweler who made it’s key.. see?
3. It must be touched to work as a key.
4. They can’t alter emotions. They can alter events to manipulate emotions. Emotional manipulation is something utterly different. So.. say someone has trauma and is crying or screaming because they saw someone murdered before their eyes… the Dreamwalker can erase that memory immediately which might or might not calm the person down in the present. Its’ all situational. The person might still be very very upset but not know why then.
5. No.. the present isn’t the closest to the Ukalas. The present Chavi is the furthest away. The closest to the Ukalas is the first life and first inception of the soul. Because remember, the Ukalas is the inner world like say the Earth’s Core. The living realm is the earth’s crust… you are closest to the living world when you are alive and your Chavi is laying down memories there. All Chavi radiate out from the Ukalas like branches on a tree reaching for the living world.

Most Alvina can’t go to the Ukalas like Gods can. Their blood is too muddied. Eth cannot go to the Ukalas either. They would not survive. Dreamwalkers never go to the Ukalas unless invited by Nysel and then they only survive in his realms. The other creatures I can think of that can access the Ukalas are Dominion mages who create dominions there. However, they could not survive outside of their Dominions within the Ukalas.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Dreams/Dreamwalking

Postby Ala on June 15th, 2014, 1:04 am

Wow, thanks a lot for your help! Great answers!
Ala
Player

Character sheet