Solo Learning Something New Everyday

(Job Thread) Natalia's patients never cease to surprise her.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Learning Something New Everyday

Postby Natalia on May 29th, 2014, 6:58 pm

71st Day of Spring
Godiva's Refuge

Natalia didn't necessarily like making house calls in her Eth form. Too many questions were asked, and honestly, she felt uncomfortable. Patients took to her so much better when in her human form. It was understandable. Natalia would be a lot more open to another one of her kind taking care of her baby, nonetheless, than another foreign being. As shameful as it was to say, it was easier being in her human form for various other reasons too. That didn't mean she liked it better. She didn't. Being in her Eth form was one of the most freeing things that she will probably ever experience in this lifetime. It was hard trying to feel differently, but she just couldn't. It wasn't her fault. It was just something that she'd have to pray to Syna for.

It was a beautiful spring day in Riverfall. The people were out on their daily errands after work. The sun had just gone down to allow time for Leth to play. It was a little breezy, but not too bad. Natalia wore a light jacket to keep the chill out. She also carried a small briefcase with supplies stuffed with haste inside them. She had gotten the message that Godiva's needed a nurse to see one of their residents. Most of the doctors were busy at the clinic, but they had decided anyway that Natalia was ready for this type of thing. She didn't know what it was for, but she could bet that it was to find out if they were pregnant or not. Of course it wasn't one of the Nakivak there. They would be examined by someone at the Oathmaster's Tower. That was way above her. Ordinary pregnancies were a rare sight in Riverfall, so she took on the responsibility happily.

She walked into the refuge, and was immediately greeted by someone. "Hello! What can I do for you?" she asked quickly, probably thinking Natalia was here to inquire about housing. She took no offence to it, and offered a smile smile. These people were probably very busy, and she didn't want to intrude too much on their business.

"I'm here to see a patient. I didn't get her name, but they said that you'd know the one. I'm checking for early signs of preg-" Natalia started, but the woman cut her off abruptly.

"Yes, yes. She's upstairs on the second floor. Two doors to your right. The door should be opened." she said, touching Natalia on her shoulder and ushering her up towards the stairs. "You can't miss it." she added.

"Alright, thank you." Natalia said for courtesy, even thought she thought she was being treated a bit more rudely than what she had imagined. It's fine... she thought. I'm not a doctor yet, but soon they'll respect me. She headed up the stairs in pursuit of her next client.

Now just realizing it, the place looked quite cozy. Warm fires lit a nicely decorated living space where woman sat chatting with one another. It looked like a wonderful place to get your bearings before venturing out into Riverfall by yourself. Natalia wished she had known of a place like this when she first arrived. It would've made things much easier, but she didn't like to dwell on the past. She was very happy with where she was now and couldn't ask for anything better.

She quickly found her destination as it really wasn't far away at all. Another thing that made it all the easier to find was that there was obnoxious laughing coming from the room. When she peeked her head in, two women here sitting on the bed, giggling to themselves and hitting one another in a playful manner like friends. Natalia didn't want to eavesdrop, so she quickly rasped on the door three times, indicating that she was here.

"Hello, my name is Natalia. I'm here from the medical center." she announced with a cool smile on her lips. She fully stepped into the door frame, allowing her to be seen. Both of the girls heads snapped in Natalia's direction and the laughing immediately ceased. One of the girls had a confused look on her face, but the other looked less than pleased that Natalia was there.

"Oh, yeah. The medical center," the angry girl said, sweeping her legs on the bed so they were now dangling. Even though her face was warped from her expression, you could tell that she was pretty with red hair and a very small frame.

"What is she here for?" the other one asked, still clearly confused. She looked human, with blonde hair, and a pretty face as well.

"Oh, I just have to get my... check-up or something. Just an annual thing when you live here." she answered. Natalia was confused. Why would she lie like that, to a friend in any case. Well, at least she thought they were friends. Usually pregnancies were a thing to be shared and celebrated, but by the looks of things so far, she guessed it wasn't like that for this one. She had to keep up with patient confidentiality, so she played the guise as well and nodded, but no words coming from her mouth.

"Why don't you just go downstairs for a little while. I think she needs the privacy." she redhead said.

"Oh, okay." the other one answered. "See you later then." She quickly got off of the bed and made for the door, no questions asked. Natalia stepped out from the door frame to let her pass. It didn't seem like she was suspicious, but Natalia could never know. She was terrible at reading people.

"Alright," said the redhead. "Let's get this over with."
Natalia
Far away from home.

Words: 37669
Joined roleplay: November 9th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Natalia on June 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

Natalia shut the door behind her, providing privacy to the woman. The redhead was already sprawled out on her bed. She looked up to the white ceiling, a blank stare on her face now. O...kay. Natalia thought to herself. She never imagined her first house call to end up like this.

She walked up closer to the woman , setting her briefcase next to the bed and removing her coat. Underneath she had on a simple cotton shirt and pants, nothing too flashy. Her hair was pulled back in a braid, out of her face. She looked very ordinary, but that's usually how patients liked it. When they could relate to someone, they always felt better about the visit.

"Again, I'm Natalia. Nice to meet you. First, let's start off with your name." Natalia said, now at the bedside.

"Gretchen." she said, and no more.

"Alright, Gretchen. I'm sure you know what I'm here for, so let's get started." said Natalia, not wanting to prolong the woman's grief. She grabbed a chair and sat eye level with the patient. "I'm just going to ask a couple questions. When is the last time you menstruated?"

"Well," she said, scrunching up her face. "The very end of winter, I suspect."

"Okay," answered Natalia, taking out a piece of parchment and a quill from her briefcase. She wrote on the top Gretchen, and all other information.

"And have you noticed any physical changes or pain in your body lately? Perhaps extreme fatigue, foods that you suddenly do not like, nausea or vomiting, or swollen and sensitive breasts? " Natalia asked.

"Well, like I said, no more periods. Been throwin' up sometimes. I get really dizzy during those days. Can't stand the smell of boiled eggs anymore. Makes me sick. I can tell my boobs have gotten a bit bigger and hurt to touch anymore." she said while still staring at the ceiling. Suddenly she sat straight up and looked at Natalia. "Is that really all because I could be pregnant?" She had a serious look on her face, almost concerned.

"Yes, it is. It's amazing what the body does during pregnancy. I can tell you more if you'd like, after the check-up." Natalia said, a slight smile on her face. This woman had obviously never been pregnant before, and all she was is nervous. Though Natalia had no personal experience with it, she knew plenty, and passing on the knowledge made it easier for them.

"Yes. That'd be nice." Gretchen said. Natalia took a hold of her hand and squeezed.

"Everything is going to be fine. I promise you that."
Natalia
Far away from home.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Natalia on June 1st, 2014, 9:49 pm

Gretchen laid back down on her bed, a little more relaxed. That also made Natalia feel a little bit less anxious. She knew that she was always supposed to stay in control of her feelings, but it was hard not to get attached to each and every one of her patients. They were all in need, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. It was Natalia's job to lead them on the path to emotional and physical freedom, to ignite the fire of Syna's healing powers.

Natalia said a quick silent prayer to provide strength for the girl. Everything would be fine. Syna and Natalia herself would both see to it.

"Okay. Now for the physical exam. This shouldn't take long at all." she said, setting her things down on an end table. "All I need you to do is lift up your shirt to the top of your abdomen. You can cover your breasts for now."

Gretchen did just that, closing her eyes for the first time, a calm look on her face. "Okay, now I want you to take a deep breath in, and slowly exhale." Natalia said, putting her hands on the lower part of the woman's abdomen, near the pelvis. That's where the uterus would be located, and the best way to indicate if Gretchen was really pregnant. Though, by the sound of things already, it looked as if that was the case.

"In..." Natalia said, resting her hands softly. "And, out. This shouldn't hurt, so please tell me if it does." she said. When the woman exhaled, Natalia pushed down, feeling for any enlargement of the uterus. Sure enough, it was. She signaled for her to take another breath, just for a second feel. Again, it was still swollen. There was a baby inside her, and it was growing fast. Natalia estimated that she must be only six or seven week along. Gretchen was barely even showing. It looked like she was just bloated with extra water. Of course, during pregnancy the body produces more fluids, so that could be helping to bump as well. But there was no mistaking it. She was pregnant.
Natalia
Far away from home.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes