Completed East Street Rag

Dancing to the music of steel

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

East Street Rag

Postby Jadlin Hayes on June 22nd, 2014, 9:46 am

70th day of Summer, 514
The rain had lent a few days of rinsed cleanliness to the town and taken the dust from the air. There was a threat of humidity that had not yet raised its sweaty head. Jad was picking up where he'd left off the day before. His list of names was about half finished, all of them names of registered sailors living in Zeltiva when not at sea; all of them starting with "M". It was the young man's only lead to what may be his only family.

He had started at the World's End Grotto. There were actually several there, but other than one that he had not yet been to catch at home, they had all checked negative. They either did not recognize the ring as any sort of family heirloom, or sputtered poorly, crafted lies in an attempt to claim it as their own. Jad had since followed a systematic, circular pattern to eliminate the names as he canvased the town.

He was near to closing the circle as he started in on the area of town called East Street. He was not so naive as to be unaware of the seediness of this district. Poverty bred crime and he was not unfamiliar with either. But he was resolved to mind his own business, and that was to knock on a few doors and ask about the ring. There was a greater worry that the denizens of the poor section of town may be more gifted liars where claims to his ring were concerned.

But he felt confident that he could unmask such attempts with his request that they identify two things about the ring. The first being the hidden finger razor in the vertex of the "M" itself. And the second was the recitation of the passage engraved on the inside. This was, of course, a trick question, as there was no passage. After that, Jad figured he would demand to know his mother's name. He'd encountered hostility more than once already on account of his demands for proof, but he'd handled them all thus far.

And thus far, toward late midday, he'd crossed three more names from his list and was approaching an intersection that would shorten his walk to a fourth. By the time Jad perceived that there were two men that were stationary, as if posted there, before a single doorway, they were already watching him.

Earlier, he'd thought it a wise precaution to don his mail and bring his skirmish sword, since he would be in a shadier part of town. His glaive-like weapon had the bladed end sheathed, and the spear end blunted with the attachment of a rubber grommet on the point. He used it like a walking stick, but he had no doubt these men knew it for the weapon it was. He paused for just a moment as he decided to continue his path past the building. He reasoned that if he showed hesitation, having just realized he'd been seen, he would look that much more suspicious.

His spirits took a quick drop as one of the men turned to speak through the doorway before the two left their "post" to confront him. Two more men came from inside the building to replace the men approaching him.
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on July 30th, 2014, 3:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jadlin Hayes - No Hurries, No Worries...
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Words: 187030
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

East Street Rag

Postby Black Onyx on June 26th, 2014, 2:13 am

Black had been lurking, from the early morning within the walls of 'The Grotto,' she had barely been able to sleep through out the nights that passed since she had met the man that called himself Jadlin Hayes. While his search may be important to him, she felt that now was an incredibly bad time to go on a search for family members.

So, she had decided to follow him, remaining within the shadowed corners of the pub with the hood of her cloak drawn up around her head to cover her pale features. Her hands were also tucked securely within pockets and her form hunched over in order to look as if she was just an old beggar, lurking.

As he had left 'The Grotto,' she continued to follow him, sticking to the shadows of the buildings, and avoiding the bright light of the sun that had dared to cross the sky. While he questioned people, she leaned against the walls of buildings, her brown hues taking note of any people that might mean ill will.

Most of them were just simple merchants and people of Zeltiva going about their business as usual. However, it had seemed like 'The Mage Silencer' had put a lot of people on edge and some of the usual people, were even looking over their shoulders, their coats or cloaks pulled close to their forms as if warding off danger. She didn't blame them, even she as on high alert.

While the killer wasn't targeting anyone else but mages, she was on high alert for the male Jadlin. She didn't know why she was doing this, but she needed to feel a little bit at ease that someone was watching him. However, it was at that point that he started in on East Street and she mentally cursed. Why would he even go there?

With a sigh settling upon her soft lips, she tugged on the edge of her hood, making sure that it covered all of her facial features, last thing she needed was one of the people along this street to recognize the young woman.

As she walked down the street of which was occupied with thugs, whores, thieves and gang members a-like, she clung to the shadows of the buildings like glue. Walking amongst the crowd of people, to avoid detection and eventually as the man before her came to a stop, she slipped out of the crowd to lean her back against the wall of a random building. She lifted her arms to cross over the front of her chest.

She too noticed the two men that had left their post to confront Jadlin and she gritted her teeth in frustration as two more picked up the post those two had abandon. If a fight broke out, people would scatter and the two currently at the posts now, would more than likely step in should the other two fall.

Her gaze flickered down the opposite way, down the way that Jadlin's back was currently turned to and she spotted another two thugs making their way towards the scene that had presented itself to Jadlin. They were at least ten yards away and approaching him, Jadlin would soon be caged in from both sides.

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

East Street Rag

Postby Jadlin Hayes on June 27th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Jad stopped as the two men before him continued to advance slowly. Jad let himself relax and tilted his head back slightly, sensing the muscles shift in his shoulders. He followed that sense of movement letting it flow to his left side and encompass a build up of energy. He began directing it down his arm, as if a portion of the matter was detached and sliding along the "grain" of muscular construction.

The two men had stopped by the time this flow reached his elbow, and where they had initially adopted a posture of veiled threat with their remarks posed in mock courtesy, they now blatantly challenged Jad to account for his presence on "their" street.

Jad returned the courtesy with the same degree of feigned sincerity, pretending to only then realize they were there. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, were you speaking to me? I had heard this was EAST street. Is that your name? "Mr. East"? I would not have guessed. You see, I knew a 'Mr. East' back in Syliras, and he was quite a well-dressed man. Besides, the man I'm looking for has a name starting with an "M". So if I could please ask you gentlemen to step aside, I will not take up any more of your time."

As he spoke, he let the feeling of detachment grow acutely within his left wrist. The first man scowled in response to Jad's comment about "well dressed", and told him that if he gave up the pole arm, they might let him leave with no further trouble. "I'ss not a'though you cou' use it w'its sheath still on, Bub." the second one chuckled.

Jad smiled, as he let his astral left hand fully detach and begin untying the laces on the sheath, taking care not to whip the ends around where they might be noticed. "Given that you are both in front of me, I take that "offer" to mean that you have associates positioned behind me to prevent me from simply turning and leaving."

"Why you are quite correct, sir." came a coarse voice at his back, perhaps three yards distance. The voice had a hint of enjoying the mock etiquette game, and continued. "Now, if you will do so good as to consider what's gonna cost'cha the most mizas, I think it's likely to be cheaper to replace the weapon than to replace yer head." Jad turned, taking an innocent few steps back from the men behind him. This was really done to bring himself closer to the first pair. He also saw that one of the men behind him had a light crossbow trained on his chest.

This definitely altered the order of priorities. "You know," he said, nodding toward the crossbow, "At this range, the bolt is likely to pass right through me and strike down one of your fellows behind me." As he spoke, he placed his astral hand on the business end of the crossbow and began wobbling it. He let an amused look grace his features. "Assuming you can shoot straight in the first place."

All three of the other thugs began making concerned remarks toward the crossbow wielder, telling him to quit clowning, or asking him in worried tones what he thought he was doing. Jad took the opportunity to place his foot on the edge of the rubber grommet, so it would pull off when he lifted the weapon form its current 'walking stick' position.

The crossbow man was swearing wide-eyed that the weapon was acting on its own, which drew uncertain scoffs from the others. Jad took the next step to demoralize them. "It's cursed, you idiot." he hissed. "I gave you a chance to depart! I am of the faithful of Sagallius, and I will tarry no longer with the likes of you!" He emphasized his bluff by using his astral hand to seize the very bolt itself and fling it from the channel of the weapon.

He did not know if these men had ever even heard of Sagallius, but he figured there was a very good chance they had, and it would carry a threatening stigma. The crossbowman simply watched the bolt fly from the weapon with wide, horrified eyes. Jad immediately swung his astral hand toward his partner's equally wide-eyed face and jabbed him in the right one.

The man sputtered something between a gasp and a shriek and clutched at his eye, while Jad whipped the skirmish sword up one handed and swung it in an arc before the two men. The sheath flew in their faces and the spear point gleamed just as bright. The two men backed away, but Jad could hear the first pair of men rushing him from behind.

He knew he could not hold his astral extension any longer without overgiving. He spun back around whipping his numb left hand up, as if to cast some magic affliction on the pair, commanding them to come no closer. The blade on the skirmish sword added to the threat, but he could see that the men would not hold for long. Already they sidled away from each other to spread his attention. All he was really trying to accomplish, as he saw the enemy swords spinning in practiced, wrist-loosening circles, was to gain enough time to reattach his astral hand smoothly.

He did not know if he would have the time. And a skirmish sword was not easy to wield one-handed.
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on July 15th, 2014, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

East Street Rag

Postby Black Onyx on July 1st, 2014, 6:04 am

Black had to hand it to Jadlin, he seemed rather calm in the face of getting his head beaten in, but that might have been because he was a mage himself in a way. She briefly began to wonder about what kind of strength it would take to be a mage. She couldn't help but chuckle a little at the insult directed towards the thugs. While they didn't dress well, they were appropriately dressed for east street. You didn't want to dress too well on east street, otherwise, you might find yourself, lying in some gutter in just your under garments. That was if you were lucky enough. She could however, see the men's responses at the insult, some scowled and she took a particular note of the bunched up muscles within their arms. Things might just get ugly soon, she thought to herself as she shrugged off of the wall that she had been currently leaning against.

She watched as Jadlin turned to view the two behind him and she was silently amazed as the crossbow began to wobble as the user began to grow a little concern. It was strange really, Black could have sworn that the man had a firm grip upon that weapon before and she listened as the man said that the weapon was acting on its own. Was it really cursed or was it... Her thoughts trailed off as she glanced back over towards Jadlin. It couldn't be him, could it? She had heard mages doing weird stuff, but he wasn't even physically touching the crossbow, so how could he be making the crossbow move on its own?

"I gave you a chance to depart! I am of the faithful of Sagallius, and I will tarry no longer with the likes of you!" Sagallius? She couldn't remember exactly whether he had told her about that or not, but she was quite sure that he hadn't. Was it possibly the cult that he had spoken about once? It was then that the bolt flew from the crossbow that one of the thugs held, his eyes wide and horrified all at the same time. It was not a look that you would normally see coming from a man like him and she couldn't help but allow a smirk to settle upon her lips. The second man that had stood beside the crossbowman, suddenly reeled back as if he had been hit in the face.

However, even Black could see that he wouldn't be able to take on all of them on his own, that they would soon be able to out match him. Simply because they had the numbers and would be able to easily divide his attention, no matter how good at magic he was. With a sigh, she would then, pull out from the waistband of her pants, the dagger that she always carried with her. She knew she would probably regret joining in on this brawl, but she just couldn't sit back and watch as the one person she was beginning to enjoy the company of, was beaten up and probably killed.

As the men began to sidle away from each other, creating more space between the two, she then dashed in, her feet pounding upon the cobbled street as she joined the fray, As she arrived she made sure to drop her right shoulder. Using the gathered momentum from her run and the slight advantage of having not been spotted before this breakout, to slam the shoulder into the side of one of the men. This sending the guy staggering sideways, back into the other male and curses seem to be flung forwards as her left hand reached up to grip her shoulder, rolling her right shoulder within its socket for a moment. That guy was totally far more buff than she had originally thought, but at least the momentum she had gathered had given her the desired effect.

However, at the same time, she realized that her run had caused the hood of her cloak to fall back from her head, her black locks and brown hues clear to the seeing eye. Dropping her left hand from her shoulder, she then lifted her right hand and shifted the dagger's position, so then the back of the blade was horizontally aligned with her fore-arm and a smirk crossed her lips as she slowly began to back her form towards Jadlin. "Why hello there boys, you honestly didn't expect to start the show without the common gutter rat of the city, now did ya?"

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

East Street Rag

Postby Jadlin Hayes on July 1st, 2014, 7:32 pm

At the sound of Black's familiar voice, Jad had to avoid sagging with relief. He did not want these me to know how vulnerable he had been. Her impact with the men behind him had given the two approaching from the front cause to hold back. This allowed Jad the few extra seconds needed to fully integrate his astral hand's essence back into alignment with the physical one.

"Bla-..." he started, finishing with a clumsy "...-nelia! Good to see you again. Uh...Sorry if I worried you, but you needn't have gotten involved. Still, I wouldn't want to have ALL the fun." He realized these thugs may not know her name, in which case his near blurting of it was something to be avoided. Then again, they may well already know her by name. And apprehension built in his gut over the fact that he had just drawn his one friend in this town into trouble.

He had been about to swing the skirmish sword one-handed a few times to dispel any motion these men may have had that he'd not had physical use of his left hand, just before Black's arrival. But with her so close now, he dared not make such wide-ranged swings. He was glad that he did not need to make a show of it, with his hand back in full function, but her proximity was going to greatly hinder his use of the two-handed weapon.

He decided he would simply have to trust that she would deal with the two behind him as he quickly assessed which moves he could make without striking her. With a weapon possessing lethal steel at both ends, he'd have to be conscious of what his forward-facing attacks might cause to the rear.

For now, he held it tight at the back end, simply making wide swings with the blade. His own scale mail would protect him sufficiently from the spear point. He gauged the reactions of the two enemies before him and decided on a move. Stepping to the side, to avoid hitting Black behind him, he swung the glaive blade wide enough to turn the weapon around, transfering his grip and following through to bring the spear point to fore and jab it forward.

He did not expect to hit anyone with that move. It was only to set up the next. He repeated the move twice more, taking note of a new look in the eyes of the man ahead of him on the right. He cocked his arm as if to swing the blade in a wide arc again, and saw the man set and tense. but instead of swinging as usual, he made the motion, but did not bring his right hand along with the left, choosing instead to let the shaft of the weapon slide through. He gripped it tightly in the middle with his right as the man started to rush, having anticipated the swing, and expecting it to have gone past, as it had done the three times before.

The man realized his mistake and halted after taking two steps, but they were enough to bring him in range of Jad's right handed thrust of the spear point, which had remained facing forward, unswung. The point sank into his gut, a little off-center, and caught a rib. He grunted and grabbed the shaft with a look of pain and fear.

It did not look immediately life-threatening, but the man staggered back, hissing in pain, as Jad pushed it forward, changing his grip to grind the point in further as he anchored the weapon there to swing it one more time at his enemy's partner on the left. He then abandoned his hold and drew his dagger, as he heard the wounded man scream and tumble to the paving stones, the glaive clattering nearby.

He made one quick spin to see how Black was doing, as his remaining enemy regained his balance after ducking Jad's last swing with the pole arm.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

East Street Rag

Postby Black Onyx on July 2nd, 2014, 2:51 pm

Black had noticed the two front men hesitate, as the game had suddenly changed, now there was two instead of one, which meant that Black could obviously cover Jadlin's back and they couldn't really rely on Jadlin's attention being split. "Bla-... ..-nelia! Good to see you again. Uh...Sorry if I worried you, but you needn't have gotten involved. Still, I wouldn't want to have ALL the fun." Blanelia? What kind of name was that? She inclined her head slightly towards Jadlin, but kept her gaze upon the two men that were at Jadlin's back, still attempting to get themselves straight. She always thought that the taller you were, the more problematic it was. However, Jadlin had to of remembered that she was a thief and this kind of crowd, was the kind of crowd that she had generally mingled with. Had being the key word now, as the two men finally straightened themselves out.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the orphan of the block. Are ya looking to end up like ya parents already Black?" A scoff rose to her lips as her brown hues flickered over to the crossbowman, he seemed to have dropped his weapon. She figured that he thought that it was too cursed and refused to pick it up again in case he might hit one of his team mates. The other guy though, he was just re-adjusting his grip on the hilt of his bladed weapon. He was also the one that had spoken and she allowed a smirk to settle upon her lips. "Na, I'm just trying to picture you with a clown hat on, after I put you onto your butt."

It seemed that that was enough for the man to take a swing at her with that shiny new blade of his and she quickly dropped to a crouch as the blade swung over her head. The big brute probably was still trying to get used to this new blade of his, although he seemed like he was confident enough to use it. However, everyone knew that a shorter opponent had an upper hand when it came to being quick and she lashed out with her left hand, as the man hadn't even pulled his arm back yet. The palm of her left hand made contact with his elbow and although it wasn't a strong enough attack to break it, it jarred the male's arm upwards in a sudden movement, causing him to drop his bladed weapon with a clatter to the street and to take a couple of steps away.

She didn't give the guy enough time to recover as she darted forth, dropping her left shoulder as she shoved her weight into the stomach of the male to drive the wind out of him. As soon as her shoulder made contact with the male's stomach, she heard a 'whoosh' sound as the air fled his lungs and he stumbled back again, the male gasping for air. She re-adjusted the grip upon her dagger again so then the sharp edge of the blade faced her fore arm and she lifted her right hand up as she stabbed downward towards the male. However, her aim was a little off and instead, the dagger sliced through the bicep of the male and a howl of pain followed her path as she ducked away from him, pulling her dagger out of his arm as she did so.

Her brown hues glanced at the now bloodied blade and was slightly caught off guard, it was the first time that she had actually stabbed someone before. Her gaze followed the line of crimson blood as it dripped off of the pointed end of the dagger, only to fall to the cobbled street with a small splatter. It was only when the words, "Get that bitch!" Brought her back to the present and the crossbowman was barreling towards her with clenched fists. Quickly adjusting her grip upon the blade once more so then the back of the blade was horizontal to her forearm once again, she ducked just as soon as a fist went sailing towards her head and she slipped to the left, sticking out her right foot. This sent the crossbowman, sailing forwards, only to land face first into the cobbled street with curses flying from his lips.

Although, it now seemed like her luck had ran out, as a sudden open hand slap, whacked into her left cheek and it sent her stumbling backwards into a wall as she sagged against it for a moment, making sure to keep a tight grip upon a weapon she had almost dropped. It tasted like she had also bit the inside of her cheek as she tasted copper upon her tongue and she felt the thickness of the blood upon her bottom lip. Her cheek was more than likely going to bruise, she thought to herself as she glanced up at the male, who was still bleeding from her lucky shot, but he was also holding his left arm a little awkward. Maybe she was lucky with the hit he had delivered, perhaps her own hit to his left elbow had done enough to perhaps bruise it. "Ya just don't give up, do ya Black? Even when ya know ya should." The man said as he stopped just a couple of feet away from her.

This brought a chuckle to her lips as she rolled her own blood onto her tongue, only to spit it out upon the street before the male in front of her. "Kinda like that whore of your mother, how many bastard kids has she had now? Oh, and while I'm at it, you hit like a girl." This only served to infuriate the male and his hand clenched into a fist and brought it forwards in a punch towards her face. She quickly moved her head out of the way so then the punch would land into the wall right next to her face and she brought her right hand up, only to bring the dagger back down into the crook of his elbow. With a roar he lunged back and almost yanked her arm out as she pulled the dagger from his arm. She leaned her form against the wall once more and brought her right arm up to wipe the sleeve of her shirt at the blood that was quickly drying upon her lips. She figured she had a little bit of time to gather herself, as she glanced at the crossbowman slowly moving to stand back up and regain his balance at the same time.

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

East Street Rag

Postby Jadlin Hayes on July 3rd, 2014, 5:53 am

Jadlin Hayes

Jad heard the evidence that his efforts to disguise Black's identity were for naught. He'd have shrugged, but there was no time. He saw the wounded man slam her into the wall. The crossbowman was shaking his head on his hands and knees as the other one missed a punch at the girl, gaining another slash for his trouble. He had to admit that Black might just be able to hold her own against the one man, though the wounds were largely superficial so far. But once the crossbowman got involved, it would be all over for her.

He cursed himself. Was his skirmish sword worth her life? It looked like it might come to that. Both hers AND his. He sure as shyke wasn't going to leave her now. At the very least he would die beside her. The only reason he'd mouthed off to these men was that he'd felt confident he could handle the two that had faced him at first. Black must have seen the second pair and realized he needed help.

His hopes sank further when he saw the replacement pair at the door of the building begin to make their way forward as well.
'Five on two...there's some brave odds.' he groused inwardly. It didn't look as though Black was aware of the approach of their adversaries' reinforcements. Something needed to be done. Something unexpected and daring. A wild bluff, backed up by at least one single, shocking display.

The crossbowman had gotten to his feet and seemed torn for a moment whether to go to assist his buddy dealing with Black, or to go back to Jad. But seeing the new pair of men making their way toward the fracas, he opted to help put Black away. The moment he turned toward Black, Jad jogged up and grabbed him from behind, slamming him in the back of the knees to drop him onto them, wrapping an arm around his neck, and sticking his thumbnail against the side of it to mimic the press of a knife.

"Back off! Let her go and back off, or watch this man die!" he shouted, "Watch him die knowing you'll follow him." Jad knew perfectly well that they wouldn't surrender so easily, so he began his attunement to the man's flow of djed even before he finished speaking. He felt his own pulse, and sensed the counterpoint of the pulse within man he held. As he made to align them rhythmically, the man suddenly jerked and began shouting, wildly swinging his elbows and thrusting his head back to try to succeed with a head butt.

The man facing down Black stepped back and called out in curiosity and annoyance, "What the bloody piss, Starch? He ain't even got a knife."

Jad could feel the djed rhythms align and began pulling the beat of the man's functioning physical systems into himself; his pulse growing stronger in his controlling consciousness, and his victim's growing weaker. "I don't NEED a knife, fool. I TOLD you I'd give you a chance to withdraw, but now it will cost your friend his life! back away from the girl or you will join him!"

Jad knew from his own experience that draining the man fully might well make a leecher out of him as well, and that was the last thing he wanted. He let the man sag to his face, still moving weakly. He felt the burden of the unnatural djed roiling inside and quickly released it into a shield to purge himself of it.

It was the technique he'd learned from the one other member of the cult that had raised him that he'd come to trust. Repeated instances of splashing water onto him, reinforced by hypnosis, to instill the belief in the triggering of a flow of djed, had finally accomplished it. Jad was now able to recall that sense in an instant and let the djed flow as if it was cold water splashed onto whatever spot on his body that he needed it. Admittedly, in some extremes of hot or cold weather, and certainly in the rain, this technique instead became an obstacle, But it served him quite efficiently in this situation.

And not a moment too soon. One of the two new arrivals had been gesticulating with his hands, and now sent a quivering, translucent ball towards him. He had clearly been waiting for Jad to make some move to give him a clear shot. The ball of res flared red and hot and struck with a sizzle...but did no visible damage. Jad could sense how close his shield had come to buckling, but was fortunate to be the target of only a very novice reimancer.

Jad made no reaction for a moment while he decided what would be the best attitude to display. He dispelled the bare remains of his shield as if in disdain for the attack his enemy had attempted. "Oh please..." he sneered, "Here I change my mind and let your man keep his worthless life, and this is the thanks I get..." He started towards the three men at a casual pace. They backed away nervously, one of them whispering something about "Mage Silencer".

Jad recalled Black mentioning that name. Some mysterious figure held in dread currently by the townspeople. He thought that might be just the thing to back these thugs off and avoid further violence. "Hmmm...'Mage Silencer'...I rather like that. Now why don't you boys take your wounded and run along before I silence you." he crooned as he picked his skirmish sword up off the street.

He didn't realize how his intent to divert violence could backfire on him. Many of the onlookers took note of his seeming acceptance of the identification.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on July 6th, 2014, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

East Street Rag

Postby Black Onyx on July 4th, 2014, 4:05 am

Black hadn't had time to see what the crossbowman would have done as the man that she had stabbed at twice, was back covering her view with his large bulky one, her brown gaze drawn towards the areas where he was bleeding. She might very well have to stab him in the stomach if he kept this up. She didn't want to have to kill someone, for she had never taken a life before. She hadn't needed to, she had had enough freedom and movement to run and hide from danger, but she just couldn't very well leave Jadlin to these men all alone, she just couldn't. It was at this point that she heard Jadlin's voice cut through the air. "Back off! Let her go and back off, or watch this man die!" She heard him shout, "Watch him die knowing you'll follow him." What was he doing? She thought to herself a frown settling upon her features, shouts beginning to fill the air. It sounds like the crossbowman, she thought to herself as she picked up on the sound of his voice. Was Jadlin killing him?

Finally, the man standing before her stepped back in order to shout back at Jadlin, but she shifted her gaze to Jadlin himself, her brown eyes catching sight of the crossbowman kneeling at his feet while Jadlin had an arm wrapped around his throat, a thumbnail pressed to the man's neck. "I don't NEED a knife, fool. I TOLD you I'd give you a chance to withdraw, but now it will cost your friend his life! back away from the girl or you will join him!" Yes, the man had magic at his side, something she had to ask him more about. He had said something about leeching and draining the energy, but how much energy did he have left to use? I wonder what it's like to have your energy pulled from you? she briefly wondered before she frown once again. Wait, he would kill someone for her? Why the hell would he do that?

The man at Jadlin's feet sagged so then he was lying face down upon the ground and if it wasn't for the simple fact that he was still weakly moving, she would have thought him as dead. Her gaze then drifted back to the other men as the man before her had completely backed away from her then and she lifted a hand to gently rub at her tender cheek. It was at that precise moment as one of the newly arrived men threw what appeared to be a translucent ball at Jadlin and her eyes widened in shock for a moment as the ball hit him. However, this only made the ball red and she heard a sizzle that followed with it. "Here I change my mind and let your man keep his worthless life, and this is the thanks I get..." He then started at the men with a casual pace and she almost snickered as they began to back away.

Although, as her sensitive hearing, picked up the whispered word 'Mage Silencer' She had half a mind to defend Jadlin. He just wasn't the Mage Silencer, he couldn't be, for he left a man alive and if he was the Mage Silencer, she didn't think that he would have done such a careless display of magic right in front of a crowd in a street that was likely to spread news very fast. In any case, she could just as likely be seen as a killer's apprentice and a sigh settled upon her lips. Well, if the wave guards got a hold of this tid bit of news, then they might even be thrown into the same cell. "Hmmm...'Mage Silencer'...I rather like that. Now why don't you boys take your wounded and run along before I silence you." He wasn't even denying the whisper that had more than likely been whispered in fear. With a small groan she lifted a hand to rub over her face, wincing slightly as her hand passed over the hand shaped spot upon her left cheek. "Hey... Jadlin? I think now might be the best time for us to get moving." She indicated her head in the direction that went passed the man she had stabbed twice who was now glowering in her direction. It almost seemed as if he was promising future pain, if he could ever find her again that was.

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

East Street Rag

Postby Jadlin Hayes on July 6th, 2014, 4:20 am

Jadlin Hayes

"Hey... Jadlin? I think now might be the best time for us to get moving." Black was indicating back the way he had come. He knew it was probably smarter than his intent to go forward instead. After all, he could always come back another time. But another time, these men may have reinforced themselves in ways he couldn't deal with. Even a slightly more experienced reimancer would have made a main course out of him. Or they may simply be more brave the second time around. No, he needed to check these names SOME time. He had them on their heels and it was necessary to follow through.

He made as though Black had intended the same thing HE had. He held out his arm for her to fall in beside him. Just the right degree of concession might assuage their pride enough to guarantee a draw. "Yes, I think you're right. Let's stay together, I only have two names to check off on this side, then hopefully, we can avoid any further trouble." He looked back at the group of enemies or he might have seen any look Black might have made.

If he'd been in Zeltiva any longer than the few days since the ship's arrival, he might have perceived how damning these comments would sound. If any bodies were to turn up in the East Street district in the next few days, he would have as much as confessed just now. 'Two more names to check off' would be remembered as 'two more victims to silence.'

The only thing he felt, however, was relief at the additional degree of apprehension that showed on the faces of the thugs as they backed up a few more steps to let Jad and Black pass them. He refrained from any smart remarks as they moved down the street, saying only, "Sorry to have bothered you boys. It won't happen again." But he definitely kept his ears tuned behind, and his eyes tuned to the side to catch any reflections that might alert him to hostile approaches.

There were no further incidents, as Jad found the two homes he had to visit. The first was a man perhaps ten years older than himself that looked to be contemplating making a play for the ring. But he suddenly grinned at Jad's guarded look and admitted that he couldn't recall ever seeing anything similar. He asked if the two of them would like to share a glass of ale with him. Jad thanked him, but declined. He had gotten the impression that Black was concerned that someone may be following them.

The second was an older man, a weather-beaten old sailor living off mizas he's stashed away over a long career. Jad was immediately at ease with the old guy, sensing an honesty and a desire to be helpful. "Oi' canna' be dismissin' de sense tha' oi' seen dis siggy a'fore. Mayhapp'n be longin' to an ol' salt wha' got kin up'n de Ol' Karter. Ya moi'ta be tryin' up da' way if'n chance take ya."

Jad thought back quickly, recalling that his search had begun in the Old Quarter, but had not swept through the entire zone. In fact, if he kept up his methodical pattern, the other half of the Old Quarter would be the last area he'd get to. He decided to stick to his pattern, but made a note of the details. The old fellow asked him where he was staying, in case he thought of more details. Jad told him he had a room at the Grotto. There was a moment where the old sailor seemed to make some connection there as well, but they both quickly dismissed it, since it was a place many people had stayed or were staying at.

Jad thanked him sincerely and took his leave, just glad to be done with East Street.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on July 12th, 2014, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

East Street Rag

Postby Black Onyx on July 10th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Black was all for leaving this street, especially after she had sided with the male named Jadlin, however he held an arm out to her and she brushed herself off of the wall, only to take the necessary steps to reach the man. Upon reaching him, she leaned into the male's side, her right arm lifting only to slide around his form, a sigh resting upon her lips. Finally, he would stop, turn around and leave this street, he shouldn't have even come down here unless he was really looking for a fight. While she had to agree that during the day time East street wasn't as busy, it just didn't mean that people with weapons as big as his, should just walk down here and start asking questions. His next words would have darkened her mood, had she not been pressed close to him, but even just leaning into Jadlin, had a calming effect upon the kelvic. "Yes, I think you're right. Let's stay together, I only have two names to check off on this side, then hopefully, we can avoid any further trouble." She heard him say as she sheathed her dagger once more.

Avoid any further trouble? She wasn't exactly sure whether he could avoid any further trouble, at least in the future anyway. For the moment? His use of the words 'Mage Silencer' may have just gotten them out of the present situation, she noted as they had begun to approach the gang members. She figured that this has to be the direction that Jadlin needed to go in, in order to arrive at his intended destinations. He had two more people to visit and she figured, it was to see if they knew anything about the ring upon his finger. It was then that she began to wonder if anyone had even been able to tell him about the ring, however, she figured that if someone had, that he wouldn't still be looking for information about it.

The moment that the group of men let them pass, Black visibly sagged against the male her left hand lifting to gently rub at her cheek. This was not exactly what the female had in mind when she had exited 'the Grotto' that morning, but then again, she hadn't exactly known what to expect when she had began to follow Jadlin. All she knew was that, she had to follow him, make sure that he was safe, to protect him. She hoped that she had done that to a certain degree, if at least distract the two men for a brief moment.

---------------------

While the rest of the day went rather uneventful, well, to Black anyway, her brown gaze kept an eye out for any suspicious activities that maybe following them. One of Jadlin's leads had asked if they would would like a glass of ale, but she would have declined if Jadlin hadn't, she wanted her senses sharp even though the side of her face stung with the spreading bruise. It must look ugly, she thought to herself as she tugged the hood of her cloak tighter around her face. She had pulled it back over her head so then hopefully, no one else would recognize her and also, because she didn't want Jadlin to see the spreading colour across her left cheek, it was the last thing that she wanted him to see. She didn't want to be a burden upon someone who she had just recently met and she didn't want to sever this... bond that they had between them. She had been able to look after herself before Jadlin had come to Zeltiva, she would continue to do so without creating an even bigger burden for the man.

However, the woman had her doubts as they spoke to an elderly man that spoke about the Old Quarter and as they took her leave, she began to wonder if his family member was dead. If this family member was dead, would he then leave? Go else where? Look for siblings? She couldn't protect him if he left Zeltiva unless she left with him... That would mean that she would have to leave her recent contacts behind her, leave the only city she ever known to follow a man, a man of which she was sure that she couldn't leave unprotected. They began to leave East street and she kept her gaze downwards, listening for any signs that some one may be following them. For now, however, she had to keep her mind in the present and stop worrying about the future, she had to make sure that no one followed Jadlin. "So... Where to from here?"

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next