Acquainted Acquaintances [Calters]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Clover Na'tome on June 29th, 2014, 4:25 pm

19th of Summer, 514AV
Clover was lying in her bed, fast asleep. The sun rose slowly on Riverfall and the sun's rays soon hit Clover's window. She squinted her shut eyes and groaned. "It's morning already?"
Clover slowly opened her eyes towards the small window and sat up slowly. She rubbed her eyes and yawned. The warm summer sun shone on her pale skin as she swung her legs to the side of her bed and stood up. Clover brushed and combed her thick white hair, took a quick bath, and drank some of her favorite herbal tea. When she was ready she headed out the door and towards the market. Clover never really bought anything, she usually just browsed. But in the corner of her blue-lilac eyes she recognized an acquaintance of hers. No doubt it was Calters! Of course Clover knew it was him, his astonishing wings and his furry seal tail were an easy sight to spot. She began walking towards him, but she didn't know if he wanted to even talk to her or not. They've only met a few times. She shrugged and continued to walk towards Calters. She arrived to his side and smiled. "Hey there." She said with a little wave.

- Clover Na'tome
Kontinese - Common - Tukant
Thoughts

Clover Na'tome - Madalyn "Hatter" Reese
I'm going to inactive during July
Clover Na'tome
Love is the best medicine, but herbs work too

Words: 11620
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2014, 4:54 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Calters on June 30th, 2014, 1:03 am

Calters cocked his head and squinted. He moved to one side and then the other in order to get the best vantage point. He even tried to kneel down, but still nothing.

The sign on the stall had advertised paintings of exotic species and artifacts, but Cal saw nothing more than overlapping splatters. When he tried to ask the clerk the subject of the painting, or even the style the artist used, he was hushed and shooed away without ever hearing his inquiry. Cal sighed and returned to stare at the painting in confusion.

Just as he had grown frustrated and nearly given up, Calters heard someone calling his name. The voice was gentle and feminine, and when he turned to face the pleasant sound, Calters was pleased to see a familiar face in the crowd. There was Clover, walking towards him and offering a small, friendly wave.

Despite himself, Cal found his hand waving back. He was mesmerized by the Konti's silvery skin and pure white hair. She seemed to him, holier in appearance than most priests.
"Clover! It's been so long, how are you?" It was difficult to hear amongst the crowd and Calters desperately wanted to hear what she had to say. Did I really just think that? She's just another Konti. She probably wants to befriend the monster so that she can gossip about it and become popular.

Reassured in his depressed and solitary thoughts, Cal motioned for her to follow him out of the crowd so that he could talk to her in peace. As he turned, he made room for his wings and bounced into a hover about six inches off the ground. In the air, he pulled his ocarina from his neck up to his lips. He gave a comical squeak before warming up with some improvisation. It was in a minor key (as that was how his instrument was tuned) but the normally melancholy notes didn't seem so sad at the moment. Calters was shocked to hear the happy notes. It irked him; that was not how his ocarina was supposed to sound. It wasn't bad enough to make him stop playing though.

He motioned for Clover to follow once more before heading in the direction of the nearby Semele Park, tweeting out his music as he went.
Tukant-Kontinese-Common-Thoughts-Singing
Calters
When music hits you, you don't feel the pain

Words: 88993
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clover Na'tome on June 30th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Calters motioned Clover to follow him out of the crowded market place and into Semele Park. When the crowd was gone it was much more quiet, Clover could hear a musical tune coming from ahead of her, it was Caltrrs again. She was always mesmerized by his art and music ever since the first time they met.
When she finally caught up to him she answered the question he had asked her in the market place, "It has been long hasn't it? I'm doing fine, how are you?"
Yes, it's been a while since the two had last talked, Riverfall was a large city that was peaceful but very busy. The markets are always filled with crowds and everyone is usually working.
Clover then remembered that Calters was the one playing the music. "That piece you played was lovely Calters, though may I ask what that instrument is? I've never seen it before. At least, I don't think I have."
It looked like a little boat to Clover, a little boat with little windows and a chimney. She was always prepared to learn about new things, so she was interested to learn about the strange instrument in Calters hand. "Hm, I wonder what it is? I think I've seen one before, or have I? I'm not sure, but I'll know what it is now I guess."
- Clover Na'tome
Thoughts

Clover Na'tome

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Calters on June 30th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Now in the quiet, Calters slowed down so he could listen to Clover talk.
""It has been long hasn't it? I'm doing fine, how are you?" That's a bad question. She doesn't want to hear about your problems anyway. Don't answer that.

Luckily, when Cal had lowered his instrument she continued to talk.
"That piece you played was lovely Calters, though may I ask what that instrument is? I've never seen it before. At least, I don't think I have."

Calters faced Clover with a look of mock-horror. He gave a short, dramatic gasp and covered his chest with his hand.

"You don't know about ocarinas? By Rhaus, I thought we were friends!" He pulled the string from around his neck and held the tiny clay instrument in his palm so that Clover could have a better vantage point. Cal's eyes lit up as he quickly explained the mechanics.
Calters' Ocarina :

"They can be made out of many things, but this particular one is clay. Each one has little holes in the top," Here he gestured to each of the 12 holes. "When you cover the holes in different orders then that gives you different sounds. This one is a 12 hole. That gives me the widest range of notes. You hold it similar to a flute except that your right hand covers this pointy end. Then you just put your mouth here," He placed his mouth on the small spout and tried to continue explaining around it. "An' bl-ow."

Cal blew without purpose, giving off a hollow, echoing sound. He loved the deep, humming sound of the ocarina and found himself closing his eyes as he listened. The end of the note wasn't so sweet and ended up squeaking, but Calters ignored it.

"That's all there is to it really." He told Clover happily. He held out the instrument on his palm once more. Despite everything his mind was telling him- from She doesn't want your petching piece-of-trash instrument, to You're probably grossing her out, or at least disturbing her. he shut it all out. He nodded politely and asked, "Would you like to try?"
Last edited by Calters on July 2nd, 2014, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clover Na'tome on July 2nd, 2014, 4:00 pm

19th of Summer, 514AV
The ocarina. That was an interesting name. And Calters had asked her if she wanted to try too!
"I would love to! Only if it's okay with you."
Clover never played an instrument before, well, she wouldn't be playing it. She would just blow into the ocarina. Maybe she would buy her own ocarina and learn to play. Clover held her hands in front of her and pretended to hold an ocarina. She remembered how Calters said you hold an ocarina, "You hold it similar to a flute except that your right hand covers this pointy end. Then you just put your mouth here, an' bl-ow."
"You hold it like this right? Like a flute, but your right hands is on the pointed end?" Clover was sure she had the idea of holding an ocarina. "Perhaps I will end up buying an ocarina of my own, or at least save up for one."
There was one thing she was sure of, if and when she blew into the ocarina (considering the fact that she doesn't know how to play an ocarina) the note would probably sound loud and squeaky.
Thoughts

Clover Na'tome

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Calters on July 2nd, 2014, 10:23 pm

Calters smiled encouragingly and moved to hand Clover the instrument.

"Just like that. It will probably sound pretty squeaky at first, but that's just because you aren't used to the amount of air you need to play it. Just do your best and play around with covering different holes to see how it sounds. Oh, and I almost forgot!"

Cal naturally ran through a list of worst-case scenarios anytime anyone else touched his instrument. He was sure she wouldn't run off with it or leave bite marks. He knew Clover well enough to be certain that she would treat it just as he had told her and give it back when he asked. The one thing she could do by accident was drop it. Calters removed the string from his neck and lowered the ocarina over Clover's head.

"The string is so you don't drop it. And don't let it hit the ground either; it's clay so it's kind of fragile. There! Now you can try."

With an anxious bite of his lip, Cal sat back to listen to his newest pupil's first attempt. I hope it isn't too awful. I would hate to tell her it wasn't good."
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes