Solo (Lab 30-M) Void your mind.

Initiation into voiding thread for Sorcha. There are no pickles in the jar.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

(Lab 30-M) Void your mind.

Postby Sorcha on August 1st, 2014, 7:43 pm

41st of Summer, 514 AV

Sorcha was standing in the center of the lab, glyphs surrounded her and Yorge. The nuit stood before her, emotions void from his visage like a statue. That was fine to her, she preferred the stoicism. There was no room for useless emotions in the lesson they would be tackling today. The Eypharian wasn’t there to make friends she was there to win her life back into a semblance of control that pleased her. A goal of destroying for the sake of creating something else burned through her veins like fire born from acid. Sahova would be her new birth or her destruction and it all started with the stern Nuit before her.

“Today we will be attempting to initiate you into Voiding. It all depends on how strong or weak your mind is.” His no nonsense gaze pierced the space between them as he outlined the day before them. “What do you know about Voiding Sorcha? Anything?” With her lack of knowledge on this particular branch of magic his lips thinned as he realized that he would have to start from scratch. “Fine, at least this way you won’t have to unlearn anything.” Yorge’s curt nod indicated the floor at the center of the room, the other apprentices ignored as they went about their business. “Sit, we are going to be here for a while. You’ll get tired eventually and I need you focused not thinking about how much you want to go rest.”

Sorcha did as she was told though resentment flickered behind dark gaze. She had seen the Nuits work since she had come to Sahova, and the more she saw their concentration and ability to just work without a break the more she felt jealousy clawing at her like a spurned lover. Her body couldn’t handle the long, endless hours they were able to work for much to her annoyance. Jasper sat to her right sit, his black fur making him look more like a canine shaped shadow then anything. Now that she was able to move about she took Jasper with her everywhere. Sometimes she even saw someone staring at him as if he were an item on a shelf so she was careful to keep him at her side. If anyone was going to kill and use the canine for a project it was her.

Folding her legs neatly into a lotus position she rested her hands on her tops of her thighs and knees. The Eypharian’s long black hair cascaded out behind her on the floor and her dark eyes tilted up to Yorge, she detested being in separate levels from him but for now she’d bite her tongue. Whether she Nuit noticed her annoyances or not she wasn’t sure and the moment she sat down and stopped moving he began to speak again. “Voiding’s history goes back before the Valterrian. It’s an old discipline and it is to be treated with respect. There are many dangers when dealing with the void and they are not limited to such things as getting lost on the other side or overgiving. Do you know what overgiving is?”

Sorcha nodded her head at the question, a hand reaching up to snake into Jasper’s fur as she spoke
“I know the basics I suppose. It’s when you give too much of yourself through the use of personal magics.” It was the very basics; she had never actually overgave before so she didn’t really understand the damage that could be done when it happened. “Right?” Her brows creased as she sat there, fingers flexing in Jasper’s fur as a way to unconsciously ground herself. She knew this tedious part of the lesson was necessary but that didn’t mean she had to like it.

A grunt escaped the Master Apprentice’s lips, his voice reflecting the patience of a parent with a child despite the stern tone “There is more to it than that Sorcha.” Yorge paused and moved away from her towards one of the desks in the room and grabbed a stool from the table. When he returned he put it down in front of the Eypharian who was grudgingly sitting on the floor. “Sit in the stool if it will make you stop staring daggers at me. I don’t care where you sit, just sit and pay attention.” The nuit wouldn’t speak again until Sorcha stood and took her seat, her limbs weighted by the fact she was called out on not being as good of an actor as she thought. Pushing herself to her feet she moved the stool to where she had been just folded up and then sat comfortably on it. With the stool she had to tilt her gaze down slightly to meet his but he still commanded the authority of a teacher before a student regardless. The feeling was unmistakable, that it didn’t matter if she was standing or flying above his head until she proved herself she would never be considered an equal.

Yorge took another chime, watching her with eyes that missed nothing before he spoke again. “You’re going to have to knock that pride out of your system.” It was his last acknowledgement to her attitude before he continued. “As I was saying, overgiving has consequences. If you give to much, if you don’t know your limits and let your pride get in the way then you’re bound to make yourself a dribbling mess. You’ll be useless. You have big aspirations…don’t let the prospect of what you may become destroy any reality of it becoming true. I don’t have time to teach someone who is going to let themselves be destroyed by overgiving. Know your limitations. You will most likely overgive multiple times as you grow in your disciplines, some are easily taken care of through rest like when you're sick but it's best to avoid it at all costs because there are much worse consequences then needing to rest. You don't know what it is like to be broken until then, I don't care what you have been through.”
Last edited by Sorcha on August 8th, 2014, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorcha
Let me just take a little off the top...

Words: 41072
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 11:19 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sorcha on August 2nd, 2014, 8:11 pm

It was Sorcha’s turn to have thin lips as Yorge scolded the pride that ran through her veins. Her ego had grown in her time since her Master’s death and she saw no problem with that. Why shouldn’t it grow? She was confident in her ability to become better at things that she set her mind to, she wasn’t lazy like others. Why shouldn’t she be proud of that? Fire blazed in the blackness of her eyes but it quickly faded as she forced control over her own emotions. This is not a time for emotions Sorcha, remember? Shaking her head she let out a deep breath and her voice was tight as she spoke.
“I’m sorry. I do have a question though. You still haven’t explained exactly what voiding is.”

Yorge assessed her for a moment as if to divine some hidden lie behind her apology but finally he spoke. “Very well, and you’re right I haven’t explained what it is yet, I want you to understand what it can do to you before you understand what it can do for you. Magics are dangerous and they all have consequences and benefits. Caution needs to be observed if you wish to become a proper in control of what she is doing. Never let the magic control you.” There was a stern detachment in his voice and he began pacing in slow steps that were as careful as the words he spoke. “Voiding is a form of personal magic; it uses a part of your own djed in order to be created. Malediction is a world magic and draws on the creature’s strengths or weaknesses rather than your own. This is where overgiving is possible within the realm of personal magics. You can literally give too much of yourself which will have negative effects.”

Sorcha’s eyes followed Yorge like a hawk, taking in his every movement though she tried to stay as still as possible. There was so much to learn she realized. For some reason she had entered the lab today thinking that she would be shown a void and how to create it and then she would be ordered to do one herself. She was despicably naïve in these thoughts. Projection hadn’t exactly been an easy magic to learn but her mentor then also hadn’t been as reserved and studious as Yorge was either. The man who taught her Projection and Malediction was an odd creature; in fact he had angered her often with his almost childish spontaneity. He was very different from Yorge. Putting aside her pride and her anger Sorcha was slowly settling into the beat of the Master Apprentice’s voice and finding his attention to detail soothing. He wasn’t diverting to unnecessary tangents and instead was giving her the information she needed to know.

“Now to get on to more about how voiding works.” He paused before her as he spoke this time “Voiding, in its simplicity, has three main components they are the portal itself, what is known as a pull and also an anchor. I am not going to deeply explain an anchor as you will not be using one for a long time if ever. The portal consists of this side, the world as you know it, and the other side which is everything on the other side of the portal. You will be using either gestures or incantations to help focus your voiding as you do not know glyphing yet.” He paused and tilted his head to the side “That reminds me I shall talk to Master Tieh but you should learn that as well.” With a wave of his hand he dismissed the thought for now and instead asked a question. “Is this all making sense so far?”

It was a lot to take in but the Eypharian felt as if she was grasping it, there was only so much you could grasp in theory without actually testing it first. After a brief pause of thought Sorcha nodded
“So far I understand, I’ll stop you if I have a question.” Her urge to continue left the nuit no other choice; if she wasn’t asking questions then he had to take her on her word that she understood. “There are two different forms of pulls, one that sucks in and one that pushes out. A portal might also have no pull; this is what we will be focusing on while you are still new to voiding. You will also be keeping your portals small so as to minimize any troubles should you give the portal a pull.” Yorge took a breath and Sorcha used that moment to interrupt him so she could ask a question “What is the point of sucking something in or bringing something here?” She didn’t really see the point in voiding, honestly to her it seemed rather boring but she supposed that idea will change once she was told exactly why she was learning this to help Master Tieh.

“There are many different reasons for both, that is a talk for another time though. Master Tieh has her reasons that she will share with you when you can offer her proper help without screwing up.” Yorge waiting for Sorcha to give some indication she understood his response before he continued. “Now before I explain to you how to open a portal do you know how to meditate? The process will be much smoother if you can do this.” Again there was a denial from the Eypharian and Yorge sighed “A blank slate is better than none I suppose; you will need to work hard not to be useless. That means a lot of time on your own dedicated to your tasks. I cannot stress this enough. You may not be able to open a portal today but I can explain to you how to start the process, whenever you try to open a portal you must remain in these glyphs…” He motioned to the glyphs that were surrounding them. “…it’s for the safety of everyone in case you unleash something you can’t handle. Now, let’s begin the active part of the lesson.”

Sorcha

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sorcha on August 7th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Over a bell passed and Sorcha was back on the ground, her legs folded back into the lotus position and her eyes were closed. He had left her to calm her thoughts for some time though it would be a lie to say she kept her mind focused on being clear. It wandered and shifted with the noises that were in the room or when Jasper decided to lay down rather than remain sitting. Keeping her mind focused with the attempt to meditate was much harder then she thought it was so when the, now familiar, footsteps of the Master Apprentice approached her she opened her eyes and looked up with a frown. “Do you have any tips on how this might go easier?” The question was spoken with slow patience as she put her emotions of frustration in check.

Yorge studied her for a moment and the Eypharian would have sworn she saw a flash of something akin to approval flashed in his eyes but it was gone as fast as it came. “Nothing is going to be easy Sorcha, get that desire out of your mind right now.” A heartbeat passed before he continued “Close your eyes.” When she did as she was told he fell into a silent stance that made her wonder if he had disappeared on her again but it didn’t take long for him to speak. “To make a portal you need to have your mind clear, that’s why meditation is so important. It helps you forget everything – literally void your mind. Become void of everything, be one with the void. Empty your mind.” Yorge’s voice took on a monotone flatness that truly hit home the idea of voiding everything from her mind. “I’m going to give you a phrase I want you to repeat over and over in your head, focus on nothing but that. When your mind drifts, and it will, just bring yourself back to the phrase until it means nothing to you. There are a few things that can help you with opening a portal and they are gestures, incantation or glyphs. You will try gestures or incantations; we will leave glyphs out of the equation for right now.”

Sorcha nodded, dutifully keeping her eyes closed she waited to hear what else he had to say since she doubted he was leaving just yet when he hadn’t given her the phrase. “I will be watching but I have things to do, you will be safe here … most likely.” There was no room for false hope in the world of magic. “Good luck, clear your mind. Here if your phrase: There are no pickles in the jar.” Sorcha’s eyes flew open at the phrase and her eyes were met with a stern look from Yorge and a thin mouth. “Close your eyes and start Sorcha. I will know if you need me.”

Sorcha squeezed her eyes shut and reached up to rub the bridge of her nose as she forced herself to accept the phrase he wanted her to meditate on. There are no pickles in the jar. The thought was ridiculous, she couldn’t believe her sentence was something so brainless. Slowly like a fire coming to life the realization that the sentence wasn’t supposed to mean anything seemed to dawn on the Eypharian apprentice. Embarrassment threatened to color her cheeks but with a deep breath she calmed herself and focused back on the phrase. She had no idea how she could have been so stupid even after he told her she was supposed to say the phrase until it became nothing to her. Was she really so desperate for some deeper meaning to this form of magic that was based around ‘nothing’? Apparently so.

Sorcha took a deep breath in through her nose and let it back out again through her mouth, one inhale and one exhale after another. One by one she relaxed her muscles from her neck all the way to her feet and when one tensed unconsciously she would force herself to relax it again. There are no pickles in the jar. She repeated to herself over and over until her mind couldn’t take it anymore and before she knew it she was wondering what legacy item to work on next. When she became aware of this line of thought she scrunched her brows and repeated again there are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar.
Sorcha

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sorcha on August 8th, 2014, 1:15 am

There are no pickles in the jar.

And so Sorcha kept telling herself over and over again until so much time had passed that she couldn’t even feel her backside anymore. Her muscles were stiff and her mouth was dry from lack of water. Jasper was asleep on his side but she had forgotten the canine a bell ago. Her breath was all that she heard now and when her mind did wander it was into a state that was something akin to being half asleep rather than actually thinking about anything in particular. She wasn’t sure if this was how clearing her mind should go, if she should practically fall asleep until the echoes of Yorge’s phrase awakened her again but no one was telling her she was doing it wrong either.

There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar.

The words recited again in her mind and she breathed in time with each punctuation. Sorcha shifted then, a grunt escaping her throat and catching there in its dryness. Jasper jerked at the unexpected sound beside him and her eyes flew open in a moment of unexpected distraction. The light of the room blinded her after her eyes were closed for so long and she screwed up her face in the burning pain of her eyes.
“Jasper.” She spoke his name like a curse, as if it was his fault that she was pulled from her meditation but she had to give the dog credit for his infallible dedication to staying beside her. Flexing her limbs she clenched and unclenched her fingers so that the blood flowed through them again before she pet Jasper. Closing her eyes once more she turned her attention back to the meditation that she was supposed to be focusing on.

There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar. There are no pickles in the jar.

In and out her breaths slowed again until eventually she couldn’t even hear them in her lungs, it was amazing what the focus of a single sentence pulled from the rest of her senses. One by one she forgot about her muscles, she forgot about her parents and she forgot about everything but the empty jar of pickles. Only the jar existed and even that wasn’t supposed to exist because there were no pickles and there was no jar. There was only the simple phrase given to her by Yorge, and what a silly phrase it was.

Sorcha

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sorcha on August 24th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Time passed slowly, or quickly? Sorcha wasn’t entirely sure. Measuring the length of minutes she sat there on the floor of the lab was like trying to read another language without use of anything that might aid in deciphering it. That reminded her of her task she had to set about soon, one she was not looking forward to but knew she would be rewarded in the end for it. She had to learn nader conch. Her mind wandered for what felt like the hundredth time and for the hundredth time she chastised herself on her inability to concentrate.

Was extended periods of meditation this hard for everyone, or did she have a weaker mind then she thought she did? Certainly it couldn’t be the latter, she was Sorcha re Bisret and she had to be smart to survive the life she had. She had to be brave to take on the island of Sahova by herself. She had to be in control of her choices, there was always a choice even if she didn’t like choosing there was always a choice now. She had to be these things because if she wasn’t she might as well not exist.

The thoughts that plagued her mind, racketed around like an annoying bell until she was practically screaming the phrase in her mind There are no pickles in the jar! Silence soon came to her once again, self doubt once more pushed back into the folds hidden away to be examined when she wasn’t trying to learn a new discipline of magic. More time passed undistinguishable from the moments of inner chaos and she was once more settled into the rhythm of the words like a musician became lost in their chords.

Sorcha’s concept of time eventually became of no worry to her, she stopped wondering how many more bells she would have to sit there or if Yorge would be annoyed with how long she was taking. Even the numbness she felt in her stiff body ceased to exist. There was eventually a point in time when nothing else mattered except the sentence she was giving. It still held meaning for her, it still was quite literally a strange sentence about lack of pickles but sometime over the bells she had grasped ahold of the sentence and now she was refusing to let it go. Meditation, at some point in her moments alone, had become a sort of torture. It was mocking her and her lack of self discipline but now she was beginning to welcome the emptiness of her mind and laugh back at the discipline. The Eypharian learned she couldn’t force the silence, she had to embrace the chaos and slowly guide it back to nothing, it was a lesson in patience as much as it was a lesson in learning how to void.
Sorcha

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sorcha on August 30th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out.

The phrase meant nothing. She was exhausted and the phrase meant nothing to her anymore. Maybe she had been sitting there on the cold floor of Lab 30-M for an eternity, maybe she had out lived the nuits and she was alone now. Her ears felt heavy with silence and her limbs didn’t remember how to move but that didn’t matter because there was more to the world then moving, the emptiness that filled her was bigger than the jar and it was bigger than anything else. The whooshing of her breath in and out of her lungs filled her and wrapped her in the void of her mind.

Sorcha raised her hand then, it was more of a way to touch the emptiness around her then to do anything specific. She wanted to experience that emptiness, to become a part of something larger then herself. Suddenly the familiar pull of her own djed moved through her though instead of projecting a part of her there was a space in front of her that opened as a portal formed small and shaky. Her eyes shot open and the light of the lab blinded her before she focused on the portal that was the size of her thumb. It didn’t last more than a few ticks but she had done it! The portal vanished almost as quickly as it came but that didn’t stop the sound of triumph escaping her lips. It wasn’t a magic she had wanted to learn but the feeling of power and the possibilities that filled her head now that she finally managed the portal made her feel triumphant.

“Well done.” The voice of Yorge sounded behind her and Sorcha quickly wiped the look of a happy child off her face, her eyes darkening once more before she began to stand. Her muscles were stiff and pain pulled at her but the almost seven foot tall woman stretched her legs and all of her arms before looking at Yorge. “Thanks.” Jasper jumped to his feet beside her, stretching his front paws out and yawning with a whine escaping the action before she shook his body out and wagged his tail waiting to see what was happening now that his master was standing.

“Keep working on it, always here in the lab but you will need to get better at it.” Yorge glanced up towards Tieh’s office and then back at Sorcha “I’ll inform her you are on your way to not being so useless.” The nuit turned then and Sorcha could have sworn she saw his lips tighten at the corners as if he was trying not to give even a hint of a smile. Reaching down she ran fingers through Jasper’s black fur before she clicked her tongue “Let’s go boy, you probably are starving and need to go outside … then I need to sleep and eat as well.” She was proud of herself, of her new magic. She would become who she wanted to be even if it meant hours of mindless meditation.

Sorcha

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Mirage on September 11th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Worry not your grade is pending!
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)