PM to join [Courtyard of the Sky] A day at the Market (Khara)

Valdr goes to the market to do some business and meets some one knew along the way.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Courtyard of the Sky] A day at the Market (Khara)

Postby Valdr on August 11th, 2014, 1:55 am

The Courtyard of the sky – Day 20 of summer 514, Market day

There was little wind out that day, and with mountains natural heat Valdr could feel the tickling sensation of sweat rolling his body. He paid it no mind however, as he was accustomed to the heat; a result of working so long in the forges, although the hangover did much help. It was the twentieth day of the season, meaning it was market day. The Inartans, ever true to their fiery nature, tended to celebrate every market day wholeheartedly with the festivities starting the day before, and this time it was no different. Even so, though it was still early in the morning, the air held an electric feel to it. Those that had stalls set up were already manning their positions, peddling their wares while others walked between them, bartering or otherwise negotiating for one item or another.

Valdrs purpose was neither. Yesterday, before he had joined the night’s revelry he had finished completing some items that he had forged for today’s activates, so he made his way over to the Hot Hammer, the stall that all the blacksmiths of the Arms Gallery collectively used to sell anything they make on the side. The stall was situated within the middle ring of the market, where the more specialized items were located. It took him some chimes to find the stall, having had to walk around the ring, but eventually he found it; a stall run by your average looking Inartan, with two tables covered in different metal products. From experience, he knew that even more merchandise was kept just behind the stall. Approuching it, he lifted his muscled arm to catch the stall keeper’s attention.

Tordon was your average looking Inartan, a few inches shorter that Valdr with the fiery red hair. While he wasn’t two imposing, Valdr new that the man had a knack for business and was good with people, if he wasn’t he would never have been hired. “Tordon, I have some things for you.” Valdr said as he got to the stall and began to take the items from the bag he had borrowed. A smile crept its way onto Tordans face as he cocked his head to the side, “Well, lets have a see then. What have you brought me?” The mans hands swept over the table, making space for Valdr to place down the objects. It wasn’t much, mostly an assortment of simple tools that could be used in a variety of crafts. In all, there were six; three chisels, a pair of tongs, a single edged carving knife and one puncher.

Tordon hunched over, his eyes fixed on the tools. He was inspecting their quality, passing his hands over them to verify that they were good enough for him to sell. Valdr waited for him finish, standing there in silence as his work was judged. Finally Tordon put down the objects and straightened his back, “Your usual work, I see...” Valdr, not one for many words, simply nodded. “and you even brought me a knife! Branching out, eh?” Valdr shrugged, “I thought to add some variety this time.” It was Todons turn to nod. “Well I’ll take it all, except for the knife.” Tordon picked it up by the blade and handed it back to Valdr, hilt first. “It’s ok, but its not good enough for me to sell. This isn’t your specialty, so don’t feel too bad about it.” The shopkeeper shrugged helplessly. Valdr took the carving knife without a word, placing it back into the bag that hung over his shoulder and ran across his chest. He thanked the shopkeeper and stepped back into the market at larger. He wasn’t surprised that Tordon hadn’t accepted the knife, it was his first true attempt to make such a thing and as such still lacked the skill to do it well. Like he had told Tordon, he had made the knife to increase his repertoire.

Having completed what he came here to do, and now he was free to perouse the market. He was not looking for anything in particular, so he set out at random, walking between the stalls and peering at what they had to sell.
Valdr
Player

Words: 16905
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2014, 7:14 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Khara on August 12th, 2014, 3:37 am

Khara always liked Market Day, and it wasn't just because it meant a day off to spend however she wanted, it was more that the entirety of Wind Reach seemed more alive. True, the Summer events were a bit more subdued during the day as most preferred the revelry of the cooler evening hours and were in the process of either preparing or recovering from such things, but even the warmest of days couldn't entirely lessen the overall excitement that the festivities brought with them.

Khara had set out that morning, her empty and worn backpack slung over a shoulder as she went from stall to stall in the Courtyard, eying wares she could only dream of purchasing for the most part. The glass beads always caught her eye, especially those that somehow looked to have captured and solidified flame within their tiny shapes. She was all too aware, however, of the handful of pinions she had brought with her that day that she had carefully decided could be spent. It wasn't nearly enough to allow for anything so frivolous, not with a bow that was going to need a new string before the year was over, a backpack that would need replacing soon after that, not to mention the various other useful items she probably should have been looking at.

A small sigh left before she turned away from the shops selling their more artistic wares and wound her way towards the more practical things, clothing for work rather than play, weapons of various type and quality. An intricately carved longbow caught her eye in one of the stalls, the glass inlays clearly more for design than purpose, it held her gaze even as her feet continued to lead her away.

And directly into the path of the oncoming blacksmith. The small Chiet instantly stepped away, her eyes frantically trying to pick out something that would tell her the status of the man in front of her that she had bumped into. He certainly wasn't a Dek, but she couldn't tell much aside from that and settled on playing it safe rather than sorry, better to come across as overly apologetic to one of her own caste than accidentally insult one of the higher ones.

"I'm so sorry!" The words fled her in a nervous chirp. "Th-there's just so much to look at and I got distracted and..."You're rambling again.

The girl took a deep breath before letting another "Sorry" tumble from her lips.
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valdr on August 28th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Valdr had been looking at a particularly ornate bow when he felt someone bump into him. The perpetrator; a young girl, chiet if he had to guess by the state of her clothing and the backpack she wore quickly back peddled a few paces and immediately began apologising. At first he was irritated that someone had actually crashed into him, let alone a chiet but then he remembered that he too had not been paying attention to where he was going, so he let his irritation fade into mild annoyance. Her apology, sounding sincere also helped. He could not tell whether or not she knew what caste he was. He wore no real identifier, more so out of his like for simplicity, but he had hoped that at least his muscled arms and chest, along with his flame kissed skin which was darker than most of his people to give it away. Her apology at least, was satisfactory.

“Take more care where you walk.” His voice was perhaps harder than it should have been, but it was good to remind the lower castes of their positions, especially after all the rioting that had taken place earlier that year. He highly doubted that this girl was an Endal, she didn’t have the air of authority around her, nor the quality of clothes that the highest cast so often liked to flash around, and so he felt safe speaking to her as he did. He glanced over her as he spoke. His first impression was correct, she was quite short, but other than that she was pretty. Not the most attractive girl in all of Wind Reach, but she was far from the ugliest. Softening his tone, he continued “Though in truth, I too was distracted, so no harm done” He smiled reassuringly, attempting to put her at ease. He had not come to the market to pick on the lower castes, and his headache dissuaded him from any true scolding. Besides, a day such as this was meant to be enjoyed.

He pointed to the object that had distracted him; the skilfully carved bow with glass inlays. “There lies the object that held my gaze, so I believe that is to blame, no?” his voice was softer than his first words, carrying within them a hint of humour. “Infact, there are many such distractions here, so you are forgiven.”
Valdr
Player

Words: 16905
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2014, 7:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Khara on August 31st, 2014, 11:47 pm

One thing was instantly clear as soon as he spoke, this man was not a Chiet. Although the fact left her glad for the decision to go a bit over the top with her apology, it also left her for a split second with the new worry of what sort of rebuke he would deliver. Surprisingly, it never came and Khara was instead left with an almost bewildered sense of relief. No harm done, she repeated to herself, even managing a slightly embarrassed smile in response.

With threat of punishment done away with, she was left looking him over, trying to figure out just who she had managed to avoid offending. He certainly didn't seem haughty enough for an Endal, and the callouses on his hands and darkened skin spoke of work near the fires in the Gallery. An Avora, then. Maybe a Glassworker or one of the craftsmen from the Arms Gallery? She couldn't really be certain.

As her gaze followed where he pointed and she once more spotted the bow she couldn't help but laugh. "It is rather a impressive piece, much like everything here, really. Some things just stand out more than others, I guess."

Rambling again. Khara winced at the internal cringe as she felt herself looking away from the bow and back to the Avora. "N-not that I really should be looking at such things. Think about the fanciest thing I should be looking at is a hunting knife." A tick or two passed before her eyes suddenly widened and she looked up. "Not that I'm going hunting or anything. That's far above me."

Foolish was an understatement for how she currently felt and her body language perfectly reflected it. She could have just let the Avora pass, should have even. But instead Khara found herself in some sort of awful loop of anxiously saying the wrong thing while trying to be polite. One of these days you'll learn to just stay quiet.
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)